5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

2000 I-30 Brake Pads and Rotors

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2014, 06:19 PM

2000 I-30 Brake Pads and Rotors

I have a 2000 I-30 (basically same as a 2000 Maxima 6-Cylinder) with 86,000 miles. While having an oil change and inspection at the local Nissan dealership today, it was determined that I need new front brake pads. I have 2 mm remaining. The last time the pads were changed and rotors "turned' was in 2005 with 37,000 miles.

I have a local mechanic who allows me to bring in my own parts and a friend at a different Nissan dealership to get the parts (pads) if this is the best way to go. The mechanic recommends that I purchase new rotors when I purchase the pads. He said it is not cost effective for him to "turn" the rotors.

My friend who works at the Nissan dealership and can sell me Nissan "Value Advantage" pads for the front for $46.00 plus shipping. Via UPS it is approximately $10. These pads are semi-metallic and they come with "shims". For the rotors, he recommended that I go to the likes of Rock Auto.

I have a few ways to do this.

1. I can purchase the Value Advantage pads from the Nissan dealership and get the rotors from Rock Auto.

2. I can get the pads and rotors separately from Rock Auto. Regarding the pads, there are are many choices in what Rock Auto calls "Daily Driver". Mid line if you will (not economy and not high performance/heavy duty). They have a Raybestos pad which is Ceramic, a Centric pad which is Ceramic, a Wagner pad which is Ceramic, one Monroe which is Ceramic and one that is Semi-Metallic, one Bendix which is Ceramic and one Semi-Metallic, and a few more. In all cases, the costs are less than the Nissan Value Advantage.

Regarding the rotors, in their "daily Driver" line they have a Raybestos (Professional Grade; 5 Bolt Holes), Wagner (5 Stud Wheels; 280mm Dia.), a Centric (Premium Disc-Preferred) and one or two others. Real confusion and none of which I understand.

3. I can go with a rotor & brake pad kit. In their "Daily Driver" line they have Power Stop 1-Click; Incl. 11.02 in. OE Replacement Rotors w/Z16 Ceramic Scorched Pads for $74.79 plus shipping. Going with this kit is not necessarily less expensive than if I go with the pads and rotors separately in #2. That depends on the individual pad and rotor.

The issue is not the price. Any combination with exception to purchasing the Nissan Value Advantage pads plus rotors from Rock Auto, will be under $75.

The issue is I have no idea whatsoever which pad or rotor to purchase based on the materials, manufacturers, and my minimal yearly mileage.

Suggestions would be appreciate.

Anovice
Old 04-17-2014, 11:11 PM

Go with #3 (powerStop Kit).

I just installed PowerStop rotors and pads (the Daily Driver kit) on my 2000 SE two months ago. I am very pleased. No measurable run-out when I installed the rotors, so the rotor quality is very good. Smooth and quiet !!! Of course, only time will tell, but so far so good.

My old set-up was (Brembo blanks + Raybestos Quiet Stops). The rotors had warped badly, and there was a lot of noise and grinding, perhaps because the Raybestos pads became glazed (I had this set-up for 70k miles, but it started giving me problems after about 20k miles).

Good luck with your install!
Old 04-18-2014, 12:15 PM

Originally Posted by maxiiiboy
Go with #3 (powerStop Kit).

I just installed PowerStop rotors and pads (the Daily Driver kit) on my 2000 SE two months ago. I am very pleased. No measurable run-out when I installed the rotors, so the rotor quality is very good. Smooth and quiet !!! Of course, only time will tell, but so far so good.

Thank you for your post.

Rock Auto said the PowerStop pads and rotors are good, but I think they would have said that about any that I inquired about ;-)

Being I know nothing about cars and parts, I do not understand the terminology. What does "No measurable run-out" mean?

Also, as I posted, the description on the Rock Auto site says:

"1-Click; Incl. 11.02 in. OE Replacement Rotors w/Z16 Ceramic Scorched Pads"

Can you please explain what this means (the only words I understand are Replacement Rotors, Ceramic, and Pads).

It seems like the benefit of getting this kit is that the pads and rotors would be designed with each in mind.

Lastly, when the mechanic changes the rotors and pads, will he lose brake fluid? If so, how much? Would this be the time to change the brake fluid and if so, being you have the same system, how much will it take?

Thanks much.

Anovice
Old 04-18-2014, 12:37 PM

Run-out is a measure for describing the amount of warping and/or variation in thickness of the rotor. Picture would help here - try this video

Run-out leads to brake judder (brake pedal pulsation). "No measurable run-out" means I couldn't measure any when i installed my PowerStop rotors.

Don't worry about the brake fluid. Your mechanic will take care of it. (You shouldn't loose any fluid unless you also replace your calipers. However, if you do, you can just as well replace/top it as needed).