5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Revolution A/T error

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2014, 03:44 AM

Revolution A/T error

I own Maxima QX (Japan)2001 3L A/T

Hi Please help me because you have a better knowledge - Maxima is not so popular in Europe.

Something happens with my car - when I stop on D gear after 1 minute of not driving the engine starts to tremble a bit, sometimes it happens it just dies or almost dies and suddenly goes up recovering from almost dying engine speed condition.

Yesterday I noticed there are problems with shifting - when I press accel pedal very hard for more then 4,5 it may happen that the car is running well until 100km/h and then has no power even when I keep a gas pedal pressed it is just doing strange things. Until I depress it it just shifts normally. Or when I drive faster shifting is a bit lazy- freezes on a high speed rpm and the car has no power.

This is an example when an accel pedal is pressed but my car is not running any faster

Mechanics connected with a testing equipment to my car and did not find anything (why no AT errors?). but I managed to run a blinking test and I have definitely 1st judgment lamp which means Revolution sensor circuit is short-circuited or disconnected

1. Where is this sensor locate? It happened after changing something in rear brakes done by a mechanics

2.Is it possible malfunctioning of it causes problems when my car is on but I am not driving? Some trembling of revolutions

3.What problems can this sensor cause it cause?
Old 04-15-2014, 04:25 AM

You need to replace the revolution sensor, that should take care of the problem.

Revolution Sensor P/N: 31935-8e006

These pics show sensor location (top and bottom)

This site has the pics and info, go here: http://picasaweb.google.com/cefiro.calsonic/P0720VSS
Old 04-15-2014, 04:52 AM

Thank you, Could you plaese let me know which wheel is it? And if I need to remove tyre to see this> And it is REALLY not anything attached directly to A/T? I have no knowledge but this is e Revolution A/T sensor not the one responsible for speedometer indications? Thank you

Hi, I was able to remove it and tested only its impedance - it is 986 Ohm, is it OK? The error still occurs. How should it be?

2. How can I buy it in Europe? And I think it is here g4t07481a

Last edited by NmexMAX; 04-15-2014 at 08:37 AM.
Old 04-15-2014, 03:07 PM

I am wrong. There are 11 blinks and only first is longer which probably is proper... What can it be, maybe something with A/T? It would be too bad.
Or maybe not
What does it mean?

Last edited by mcmaklin; 04-15-2014 at 03:38 PM.
Old 04-15-2014, 03:57 PM

Which trans do you have? You may have a trans mounted unit!or a defective speedometer like the issue that happens on the 4th gen maxima.for non usa cars we need to see engine and trans and cluster to tell which variation and what it translates to over here before giving you information to really help.
Old 04-15-2014, 04:02 PM

Hi, the way I enter into judgment procedure mode is almost as described in the manual the only thing that in European cars the lamp which is indicating (the same lamp lights when I turn on my car) is the one near switcher to sport/winter.
Also the o/d button looks different.

the A/T has been built in I have this car for 6 years only, and some major problems became as on the video before. What exactly you need to know? There are probably 4 gears there
Old 04-15-2014, 04:08 PM

When we have removed the sensor it gives 986 Ohm
Is it OK? How should it be?
Old 04-15-2014, 04:10 PM

If the sensor is trans mounted check the 4th gen section for answers.because there is a issue with the speedo cluster itself that causes that to happen youll also get codes and a cel.
Old 04-15-2014, 04:18 PM

https://maxima.org/showthread.php?t=671849
Old 04-15-2014, 11:48 PM

Hi, please help me, I do not undersand correctly your slang ( English is not my native language" "If the sensor is trans mounted check the 4th gen section for answers.because there is a issue with the speedo cluster itself that causes that to happen youll also get codes and a cel" I have a feeling that you said something important!

What does it mean? "With help from here, I figured out that the leads for the VSS are attached to the back of the gauge cluster. I pulled the gauge cluster, loosened then retightened the screws for the VSS leads. Then I cleared the codes. Its been apx. 1.5 months and the code(s) have not returened" What I should do? What is VSS leads?

Last edited by mcmaklin; 04-15-2014 at 11:53 PM.
Old 04-16-2014, 12:53 AM

VSS means Vehicle Speed Sensor. This is not the same as the revolution sensor. What he is referring to in that is to remove the gauge cluster (instrument clocks).

On the other post, he is saying that if the sensor you are needing is mounted on the transmission itself then you may have good luck searching through the 4th Generation Maxima subforums of this site. I won't say it was common, but several people had similar issues and we're able to resolve them, and the 4th generation Maxima is set up almost exactly the same as the early 5th Gen. You may find some good insight there.

Last edited by dfj240; 04-16-2014 at 12:57 AM.
Old 04-16-2014, 01:12 AM

Thank you very much for your help, but what if my "blinking code" says that it is revolution sensor?
Old 04-16-2014, 10:50 AM

If it were my car, I would look at the revolution sensor. If that's what the car is telling you then I think you would be served best to address it specifically first. If you change the revolution sensor and the problem still exists then you should look into other options and ideas. Go with your gut. You seem like a knowledgeable and generally intelligent person. Trust your instinct.
Old 04-16-2014, 11:43 AM

The transmissions in the United States do not have a sport/winter switch and we do not have the S light in our dash. We have a O/D OFF light in our dash that will blink.

Do you make the S light blink? Or does the light blink by itself?

The transmission has a self test manufactured into the transmission that will make the light blink. But in the United States you must start the self test to run.

The long blink means START OF TEST. Then 10 short blinks for problems. If the transmission has a problem, then one of the short blinks will be twice as long. In your video, all 10 short blinks are the same. That means no problems.

I was reading the service manual for the 2000 Maxima QX. I can not find a service manual for the 2001. In the United States, the 2000 and the 2001 Maxima are the same for the automatic transmission.

Link to the complete 2000 service manual

Link to the automatic transmission section

If you go to page 49 in the automatic transmission section, that is the start of the self test process.
Old 04-16-2014, 12:56 PM

Hey sorry I never got back to you. I don't know what the OHM reading should be to test the sensor.

But to get to the actual sensor you have to remove the plastic cover on drivers wheel (transmission side) and the sensor will be inside mounted on the tranny itself like you see in the pics I posted.
Old 04-17-2014, 11:07 AM

I have a bad news, IT is not a sensor becuaae no errors - 1st longer and 10 short blinks is correct. By the eye what do you think about it- the problem started (with gear) after mechanics changed sparking plugs...Any ideas?
Old 04-17-2014, 02:32 PM

Check the transmission fluid. This could possibly be a valve body issue and might be resolved by flushing the transmission fluid and filling it with some new fluid. If you can find it in Europe, try to get some Lucas fluid or at least some Lucas stabilizer. That could help.
Old 04-17-2014, 03:37 PM

I am wondering if mcmaklin has a bad MAF (Mass Air Flow) Sensor?

His first video is similar to my car when the MAF went bad. In my car the engine would slowly climb to over 4000 rpm but the car speed would not go 40 mph (64 kph).

Anyone have similar thoughts?

mcmaklin -

When the mechanics connected the test equipment to your car, do you know the kind or name of the test equipment? Was it CONSULT? Was it OBD?