5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

2002 Maxima data link connection issue

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2014, 08:47 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

2002 Maxima data link connection issue

Greetings, I have a 2002 Maxima SE and my check engine light is on so I grabbed my scan tool and tried to retrieve the code as I have done in the past. This time, when I plugged the scan tool into the OBD2/data link connection port, the scan tool does not seem to connect to the computer. I pulled the scan tool out and plugged it into my 2005 Honda Pilot and it works just fine but not in the Maxima. I have read numerous blogs online and they all seem to direct me to a bad ground somewhere. I pulled up my factory Nissan service manual and it references the data link connector and I took a look at the wiring diagrams. It also has a section showing all of the grounds on the car so I started checking the harness grounds under the dash as well as under the hood and I have double checked all of the grounds that I can get to but when I plug the scan tool in, it still is not connecting to the computer. Has anyone had the same issue happen to them before? If so, were you able to get it worked out? If so, what did you do? Any information on this would be greatly appreciated as I am not sure which direction to go next. I have checked all of the fuses inside and under the hood and they all appear to be just fine. I am out of ideas and I hope that someone can shed some light on this for me!
Old 04-13-2014, 08:53 PM

I'll be the first to say check the fuse that the obd2 uses.
Old 04-13-2014, 09:42 PM
5th Gen till she dies!

Does your scan tool say something like "no link" or does it just not seem to be powered at all
Old 04-14-2014, 10:16 AM

The OBD protocol says that there has to be 12 volts on pin 16 for a scanner to know it is connected. Fuse # 12 supplies this 12 volts. Fuse # 12 is in the middle row of fuses, the left end.

Nissan also puts 12 volts on pin 8 via fuse # 10, but I think this is for the Nissan Consult. Fuse # 10 is in the top row of fuses, 2nd from the right.

Pins 4 and 5 in the connector are chassis ground.
Old 04-16-2014, 09:50 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

I checked all of the fuses but I will go back and double check them once again. When I plug my scan tool into the OBD2 port, it does absolutely nothing. It is like there is absolutely no power getting to the port at all. I can take the scan tool and plug it into my Pilot and it comes on automatically like it has always done.
Old 04-16-2014, 10:05 AM

Just looking at the fuse does not always reveal a bad fuse. Either swap it out or check it for continuity this time.

If fuses don't fix the problem, I hope you have a voltmeter for further troubleshooting.
Old 04-17-2014, 11:43 AM

Is your Cigarette lighter out?, then the fuse is blow, that power is tied to the OBD Port. Just you know, since I had people coming in Autozone with cig light out and when I plug the OBD and no power, so check your fuse for that.
Old 04-17-2014, 12:17 PM

Originally Posted by UTVolinPA
I checked all of the fuses but I will go back and double check them once again. When I plug my scan tool into the OBD2 port, it does absolutely nothing. It is like there is absolutely no power getting to the port at all. I can take the scan tool and plug it into my Pilot and it comes on automatically like it has always done.
Yeah, I would inspect those fuses with a flashlight for the break can be really fine sometimes.
Old 04-17-2014, 02:36 PM

Originally Posted by FanaticMadMax
Is your Cigarette lighter out?, then the fuse is blow, that power is tied to the OBD Port. Just you know, since I had people coming in Autozone with cig light out and when I plug the OBD and no power, so check your fuse for that.
That is absolutely not true on a Maxima. The front cigarette lighter uses fuse # 22 and the rear uses fuse # 16. Nothing else runs off of these fuses.
Old 04-17-2014, 07:51 PM

This is going to sound stupid but, is the key on?

Otherwise double check the fuse.
Old 04-20-2014, 07:02 PM
03 Maxima, 6spd

Have you tried wiggling the connector around the odb2 port? I got a cheap Bluetooth odb2 dongle that connects to my phone. After a few months it appeared to have stopped working on my car. My phone would not be able to see it as an available Bluetooth device. To my surprise it worked on a couple of friends' cars. Then I found that if I moved the connector around and position it just right, I would be able to get it to work on my car. May be worth a try.
Old 11-03-2015, 12:40 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

I am having the exact same trouble, only I have a 2001 GLE, 199.8/500k on the clock. I have tried several different scanners, different brands, all laugh at my car as the scanner never sees any power from the car. I already replaced my cigarette lighter fuse even though my cig lighter worked, just to eliminate a variable.
I have wiggled the **** out of the connection as well as using plenty of electrical contact cleaner to no avail.
I have a multimeter, no worries there. My emissions test is due by the end of the month.

Dennismik, can you please explain your pin numbering and fuse box lingo.
You could say, "standing on your head, looking at the OBD 2 connector, pin 8 is here, and reference the front of the car, starboard or port. (For those that aren't boaters, port=the left side of the boat {or car in this instance,} no matter which way you're facing. Obviously, starboard=right side. They way they taut it to me in sailing school in 1991, before I taught it 2 years later is: "it's easy, port and left both have four letters."
But I digress...)

Car has been running on 4-6 cylinders, depending on what mood it's in as well. Nearly positive it's not any of the front 3 cylinders as I pulled the coil driver wires 1 cylinder at a time when it had a misfire and the engine tone didn't change. Oh joy, I get to split the intake manifold to get to the rear coils! BTW, sometimes the engine will get rid of the misfire if you give it a foot full o throttle. CEL has been on for several months, and a few times, it's flashed t me several times, then gone back to being on solid.
Thanks for the help!
Old 11-04-2015, 12:08 AM

Originally Posted by Schump
Dennismik, can you please explain your pin numbering and fuse box lingo.
You could say, "standing on your head, looking at the OBD 2 connector, pin 8 is here, and reference the front of the car, starboard or port. (For those that aren't boaters, port=the left side of the boat {or car in this instance,} no matter which way you're facing. Obviously, starboard=right side. They way they taut it to me in sailing school in 1991, before I taught it 2 years later is: "it's easy, port and left both have four letters."
in non-nautical terms, a row is a group of things lined up side by side so that you have to turn your head left and right to see the ends. An example is a sports stadium, where a ticket will say "row 82".

in regards to the Maxima fuse panel in the lower left corner of the dash board, the fuses are arranged in rows and there are 3 rows. The middle row of fuses is the line of fuses between the top row and the bottom row.

Click on the link below and go to page 3. Near the top of the page on the right side is a drawing of the fuse panel. This drawing has the fuse numbers and the amperage in it. By coincidence, an arrow that is pointing at the fuse panel is pointing at fuse # 12.

http://boredmder.com/FSMs/Nissan/Max...01/foldout.pdf
Old 10-30-2020, 01:16 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

What could be the possible problem if the obd2 says 'failed to connect' with the key in the on position, since it won't start?