5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

02 misfire?

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2014, 04:34 AM

02 misfire?

I have a 0138 code wich im changing the 02 sensor this weekend.I also have a 0300 code wich is random misfire. Ive had the 02 code for a while but the misfire happened within this month. I just cleaned my engine bay last weekend covering connections with a plastic bag and scrubbed it down and hosed engine down.I also took off one coil and the boot came off the coil. Put the boot back on.

I erased all codes last night and drove 12 miles so far no light. But my car has no *****. Its been this way for a few months. Rpms are fine but feels like engine is a lil shakie at. Idle. Its manual 5.5. When I accelerate rpms go up maybe a half a rpm and theres no strong acceleration.
Ive seafoamed and use super gas.im gonna change all plugs filters valve covers and gaskets but should I be looking at something else before I spend that money. I rather fix that issue first before I spend few hundred on tune up.ive also cleaned maf sensor . Thanks

Last edited by heyhi; 04-09-2014 at 04:37 AM.
Old 04-09-2014, 01:19 PM

Random misfire is likely due to the MAF issues or all your O2 sensors, Usually it recommend to replace all of your O2 sensor at the same time since they are same age and mileage, however, do you have a K&N airfilter on it? If so, the likely culprit due to the KN filter oil gets on the MAF sensor contaimated with dirt or oil, which you might have to clean that before replacing anything else. I would get an engine light check again to be sure what you got on your code stored on the ECM
Old 04-09-2014, 01:38 PM
Da Roller Coaster!

Take care of the misfire code first. You more than likely have a bad ignition coil. Buy an OEM ignition coil to replace the one where the boot came off as that is the suspect coil at this point. You could have multiple misfires and that is what it sounds like so if you want to do it on the cheap use the one known good coil switching it among the bank of cylinders to see how that is affecting the drive ability. this means you need to purchase ONE rear and ONE front ignition coil.

Save yourself future headache and make sure you get OEM ignition coils. Once you resolve the misfiring then you can focus your efforts on the O2 sensors.
Old 04-09-2014, 07:26 PM

I see what ur saying. I already ordered a sensor so imma do that. Is there a way to test these coils? What ur saying makes sense to a point but taking apart the manifold 3 times to switch the rears around is a lil bit of a pain in the ***.if I take it to a shop will a scanner tell which one is bad? Ive read about the ecm doing a freezframe at the point the code went off but I cleared all codes.
wont a missfire in a particular cylinder throw a code?
Old 04-09-2014, 07:30 PM

Originally Posted by FanaticMadMax
Random misfire is likely due to the MAF issues or all your O2 sensors, Usually it recommend to replace all of your O2 sensor at the same time since they are same age and mileage, however, do you have a K&N airfilter on it? If so, the likely culprit due to the KN filter oil gets on the MAF sensor contaimated with dirt or oil, which you might have to clean that before replacing anything else. I would get an engine light check again to be sure what you got on your code stored on the ECM
No k&n filter but something im ashamed to say.im stock intake and I kind of lost the air vent going to the filter box.and I had a crack in the top of my radiator wich I kept putting jb weld and still leaked a bit.I always say coolant on the area on the filter box on the bottom where the vent plugs in and air get sucked from.
Old 04-10-2014, 12:33 PM

So I changed the o2 sensor .it's a downstream sensor and the car pulls a lot better. Still no misfire code after 30 miles that I cleared it.but still a little hesitant when I punch it.not as fast as it was a year ago
Old 04-10-2014, 04:23 PM

ok, no need to be ashamed of the stock air filter, that's what I have. But be sure to check the intake hoses from the airbox to the throttle body, that have no cracks or rips, since in ideal enclosed condition is a controlled air environment, but if you have a crack, then you got a vacuum leak, where you'll get a multiples misfire. But since you said you replace the o2 sensor, so seem like you solved the issues. but at least a suggestion for checking the intake hose