5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

6th gen BBK or Better Pads and Rotors

Old 03-17-2014, 02:38 PM

6th gen BBK or Better Pads and Rotors

Hey, I was just curious as to whether or not I should upgrade the front brakes of the car to the 6th gen bigger rotors and pads or to just go with improved pads(hawk, ebc) and rotors for all 4 wheels. I am in dire need of new brakes and was just curious as to which option would be more beneficial to the braking of the car.
Any input would be greatly appreciated
Old 03-17-2014, 10:14 PM

I would suggest you go ahead and upgrade to 6th Brakes over the counter or if you want alittle something more performance oriented, hopefully you have 17" OEM rims either 00-01 or 02-03 fit, I've done them both:

http://powerstoponly.com/p-1000-powe...rake-kits.aspx
Old 03-18-2014, 08:28 AM
dot dot dot ...

I agree. My brakes used get warped waay to often. Now, it ahrdly ever happens, and they last so much longer.

I haven't changed front pads in nearly 90k. Changed the rotors once, although I'm sure I could have just machined them.
Old 03-18-2014, 10:20 AM

yeah im dying to wait to change my fronts, but its been many many miles so far and the pads look fine.

my fronts are warped extermely bad though.
Old 03-18-2014, 11:13 AM

One thing to keep in mind if you do the 6th gen bbk and you ever plan to sell the car. You will run into an issue similar to what I just did. Unless you are selling the car to someone that realizes that this is truly a legit upgrade they will freak out at first mention of alterations to the brakes. Images of them careening into a crowd of school children will instantly fill their head. So IF you do anticipate to ever let go of the car make sure you plan for this accordingly. Luckily for me the person that bought my car was a fellow modder that had already test driven other 5th gens with untouched brakes. So they were instantly sold on the BBK's performance. His GF that he was supposed to be sharing the car with... Not so much.
Old 03-18-2014, 11:34 AM

Yes, upgrade to 6th gen better brake kit.
Old 03-18-2014, 11:50 AM

Originally Posted by 5th gen dd
One thing to keep in mind if you do the 6th gen bbk and you ever plan to sell the car. You will run into an issue similar to what I just did. Unless you are selling the car to someone that realizes that this is truly a legit upgrade they will freak out at first mention of alterations to the brakes. Images of them careening into a crowd of school children will instantly fill their head. So IF you do anticipate to ever let go of the car make sure you plan for this accordingly. Luckily for me the person that bought my car was a fellow modder that had already test driven other 5th gens with untouched brakes. So they were instantly sold on the BBK's performance. His GF that he was supposed to be sharing the car with... Not so much.
Well how did you present the car is the question? Because in most cases if its a clean generally stock car people will like the idea that the car you are selling is safer than a stock car. Now if you have a car on obviously lowered suspension, painted brake calipers etc then yea you will get the stigma and somewhat rightfully so.

But also it creates complications for people who just want to DD a car and when they change the brakes.....yea, got remember X,Y,Z and do this and this year car and yea see it just gets annoying.
Old 03-19-2014, 07:38 AM

Originally Posted by Crusher103
Well how did you present the car is the question? Because in most cases if its a clean generally stock car people will like the idea that the car you are selling is safer than a stock car. Now if you have a car on obviously lowered suspension, painted brake calipers etc then yea you will get the stigma and somewhat rightfully so.

But also it creates complications for people who just want to DD a car and when they change the brakes.....yea, got remember X,Y,Z and do this and this year car and yea see it just gets annoying.

Car was definitely represented as emphasis on minor improvements over stock. I explained the known issues with the factory brakes and how they were addressed in the 6th gen calipers. Calipers were painted black not racing red.

Also made it clear to him that nearly anything I do to a car is function > form with absolutely no compromise for safety. It was on Tein H Techs with Murano wheels so it was as close to stock as modified could get. He even said that until I pointed it out he thought the car was completely stock. Which was the look I was going for to begin with. I'm over 30 and don't care to get lumped in with the rest of the hoodlums.

So yeah it definitely helps if you're not a teenager with a rattle canned interior to give the right perspective.

Here she is. Still miss her. That is until I get into the 2011 WRX that replaced it.

Name:  df738226-e183-4198-9e44-1a67b47ad046_zps0dfa1a05.jpg
Views: 125
Size:  171.0 KB

Sorry OP for going off topic. I say go 6th gen BBK with steel braided lines and Hawk pads. Just be prepared to **** a few people off when they think you are brake checking them on those first few days when you're not used to the new stopping power.

Last edited by 5th gen dd; 03-19-2014 at 07:41 AM.
Old 03-19-2014, 11:48 AM

BBK for the win. Did it last year. Night and day difference.
Old 03-19-2014, 12:59 PM

Originally Posted by ateick
BBK for the win. Did it last year. Night and day difference.
Who did you use for calipers?
Old 03-19-2014, 01:09 PM

Got mine ( remanufactured ) from work. Still have yet to put on im hoping they work better than the stock calipers
Old 03-19-2014, 01:59 PM

Originally Posted by george__
Who did you use for calipers?
Raybestos calipers, rotors and pads.
Old 03-19-2014, 02:05 PM

Raybestos calipers, rotors and pads.
Rockauto?
Old 03-19-2014, 03:48 PM
dot dot dot ...

Rockauto?
I've got those at Checker Auto.
Old 03-19-2014, 03:59 PM

Originally Posted by NmexMAX
I've got those at Checker Auto.
DOES NOT EXIST in Canada
Old 03-19-2014, 04:37 PM

+1 BBK - 2 of my 3 Maxi's have them, and they are far superior. Even if you get nice rotors and nice pads in stock size, its not even close to if you do the BBK with cheap stuff. Rotors are HUGE compared to stock and Calipers have much bigger pistons.

I have Power Slot rotors and Hawk HPS pads on one and just mid line rotors and pads on the other and they both stop hella better than any stock setup. Both are running reman Calipers

Name:  BBK1.jpg
Views: 167
Size:  42.2 KB
Old 03-20-2014, 07:19 AM
dot dot dot ...

DOES NOT EXIST in Canada
OP is from Florida. Your statement is invalid.

O'Reily these days.
Old 03-20-2014, 07:54 AM

Who wants to pay for a bigger brake set-up with stock calipers? Thats just half retarded in my mind
Old 03-20-2014, 08:23 AM
dot dot dot ...

Originally Posted by ShocknAwe
Who wants to pay for a bigger brake set-up with stock calipers? Thats just half retarded in my mind
are you talking about?
Old 03-20-2014, 08:54 AM

Yeah I'm thinking of going with the g35 setup but very $$$
Old 03-20-2014, 09:02 AM

Whats silly about is you paid for a brake setup with technically stock calipers.
Old 03-20-2014, 09:11 AM

Originally Posted by Crusher103
Whats silly about is you paid for a brake setup with technically stock calipers.
The gen 6 is still single piston. G35/others are dual
Old 03-20-2014, 12:46 PM
dot dot dot ...

The A34 is still stock, if we're talking about it that way. Stock calipers off an A34 and stock rotors too.

Not sure why that's an issue. Technically the G35 is also stock, off a G35, as is the Z32, since they're off a Z32, same can be said for the EVO calipers.

I can see the semi point on the FB kit with 5.5 gen calipers using the 6th gen rotor. More torque, but that's way beyond this thread.
Old 03-21-2014, 08:13 AM

Thanks for all the helpful replies and feedback guys.

Hmm, I will probably go ahead with the 6th gen calipers and rotors based on the positive feedback. Since the front brakes do that much more work than the rears, is it alright if I just went with regular brembo blanks for the rear seeing as they wouldnt generate as much heat as the front. Also I was looking at either ebc redstuff or Hawk hps pads.

Do I have to have the same type of pads front and rear? because the ceramic pads, like the redstuff I read, need heat to have good bite, and the rears probably wouldnt perform to their optimal performance im guesing since they wouldnt generate the amount of heat needed for good performance.
Old 03-21-2014, 08:25 AM

Originally Posted by NmexMAX
The A34 is still stock, if we're talking about it that way. Stock calipers off an A34 and stock rotors too.

Not sure why that's an issue. Technically the G35 is also stock, off a G35, as is the Z32, since they're off a Z32, same can be said for the EVO calipers.

I can see the semi point on the FB kit with 5.5 gen calipers using the 6th gen rotor. More torque, but that's way beyond this thread.
This.
Old 03-21-2014, 02:01 PM

Originally Posted by CMax03
I would suggest you go ahead and upgrade to 6th Brakes over the counter or if you want alittle something more performance oriented, hopefully you have 17" OEM rims either 00-01 or 02-03 fit, I've done them both:

I'm guessing that if 6th gen calipers fit under the 17 inch 5.5 se wheels with 1mm clearance, then they should also clear my 5.5 stock ugly gle wheels as well.

Last edited by bishop8520; 03-21-2014 at 08:31 PM.
Old 03-21-2014, 03:19 PM

Originally Posted by CMax03

What parts do I have to replace if I want to do this upgrade?
Rotors and pads for sure,
Calipers - probably?
What about the hub/other?

Thanks!
Old 03-21-2014, 03:24 PM
Bad *** Newb

Z32 calipers or go home
Old 03-21-2014, 04:39 PM

^^^ Z32 Calipers are nice. I had them on my 240sx... BUT in order to get them to fit properly on the maxima you need a proper bracket fabricated...
Old 03-21-2014, 04:44 PM

Fastbrakes makes the correct parts to do this
Old 03-21-2014, 05:39 PM

Oh, I don't doubt they aren't out there.... but you have a few issues... not that I am knocking anybody, but if the bracket is out even a slight amount you aren't going to have proper brake contact, and you have to order them in.

I am not sure about how the performance of the Z32 caliper is on the 5th gen, but I can say from having them on a much smaller and lighter car, I doubt there is a huge difference between them and the 6th gen BBK upgrade.
Old 03-21-2014, 08:34 PM

well the 6th gen brake rotors suffer from being much heavier than the z32 aluminum calipers. Unfortunately, the Z32 bbk is not in my budget
Old 03-21-2014, 08:48 PM

Z32 is purely a bling mod these days.

I challenge anyone to a braking contest w/ z32 calipers.

Or, someone send me a Z32 caliper, bracket, rotor set and I will throw it in my braking test.

To the OP....

Your answer was given already, just get a 6th gen brake kit, and just tell the next owner which brake pads and rotors to buy, mention nothing of the upgrade.

Last edited by aackshun; 03-21-2014 at 08:51 PM.
Old 03-21-2014, 09:21 PM

^
@OP - you are looking at like ~$300 for the pads and brakes then another couple hundred for the front calipers. Hit up IMPORTRP.com
Old 03-21-2014, 09:49 PM

Hawk HPS are great. I had them on my stock brakes and loved them so much I convinced three of my friends to buy them on their cars including, BRZ, acura cl-s, and G20.
Originally Posted by 5th gen dd
Don't tell them anything. That's what we did with my friends slolara.

Originally Posted by Child_uv_KoRn
Z32 calipers or go home
Wilwood superlite and two piece rotors.
Old 03-22-2014, 12:01 AM
Bad *** Newb

Originally Posted by Quickywd01
Wilwood superlite and two piece rotors.
That costs money, though
Old 03-22-2014, 08:30 AM

Originally Posted by maxiiiboy
What parts do I have to replace if I want to do this upgrade?
Rotors and pads for sure,
Calipers - probably?
What about the hub/other?

Thanks!
The beauty of the 6th gen upgrade is that it is completely bolt on. No f'ng around with adapter plates. Remove the current pads, rotors and calipers and replace with 6th gen pads, rotors and calipers. If you already needed new brakes you are getting an upgraded system for essentially the price of the new/reman'd calipers plus some brake fluid. If you have extra cash buy some SS brake lines and replace those too. For the novices remember you are opening up the brake system so you will need to bleed the brakes after.

One tip - if you are thinking of painting your calipers this is an excellent time to do it. Some paints suggest you bake them to finalize the finish which can be done since they're off the car. You can even paint the rotor hats if they aren't already.
Old 03-22-2014, 09:20 AM

The beauty of the 6th gen upgrade is that it is completely bolt on. No f'ng around with adapter plates. Remove the current pads, rotors and calipers and replace with 6th gen pads, rotors and calipers. If you already needed new brakes you are getting an upgraded system for essentially the price of the new/reman'd calipers plus some brake fluid. If you have extra cash buy some SS brake lines and replace those too. For the novices remember you are opening up the brake system so you will need to bleed the brakes after.

One tip - if you are thinking of painting your calipers this is an excellent time to do it. Some paints suggest you bake them to finalize the finish which can be done since they're off the car. You can even paint the rotor hats if they aren't already.
I wish I knew this before replacing my front brakes last week. I used PowerStop DD (non-drilled) and so far am VERY happy. However, I am concerned that they too may eventually "warp" (actually, it's DTV - disk thickness variation). The comment about less warpage with the 6th-gen upgrade caught my eye. Perhaps next time ....

Thanks for your advice !
Old 03-26-2014, 10:32 AM
dot dot dot ...

Originally Posted by aackshun

Or, someone send me a Z32 caliper, bracket, rotor set and I will throw it in my braking test.

To the OP....

Your answer was given already, just get a 6th gen brake kit, and just tell the next owner which brake pads and rotors to buy, mention nothing of the upgrade.
Al calipers, outdated design, etc.
Old 03-26-2014, 10:53 AM

Originally Posted by aackshun

To the OP....

This.

The Z32s&cobra rotors do provide an upgrade in stopping power but i would not be surprised actually im quite sure a 6th gen BBK will out perform them. If the Z32s were not fixed caliper brakes we would not even bother with them.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 6th gen BBK or Better Pads and Rotors