5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Maxima Stereo Question

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2014, 07:26 AM

Maxima Stereo Question

i have a 2001 nissan maxima 20th anniversary with the bose stereo system and i was wondering if i can put an aftermarket deck in and still have the bose speakers work.
Old 02-19-2014, 08:24 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by 01maxima20th
i have a 2001 nissan maxima 20th anniversary with the bose stereo system and i was wondering if i can put an aftermarket deck in and still have the bose speakers work.
Yes, you can. Each of the speakers have their own amp that power them, which would usually require using an adapter to make it work. In our case (I also have the Bose speakers), you could just bypass with the remote turn-on wire (the blue wire w/ white stripe)
Old 02-19-2014, 08:39 AM

Pac adapter

This is what you will need to replace the BOSE stereo.

http://www.autosoundcentral.com/PAC_...p/roemnis2.htm
Old 02-19-2014, 09:06 AM

If you use the PAC ROEM adapter, to don't have to buy a wire harness adapter.
Old 02-19-2014, 09:11 AM

Originally Posted by DennisMik
If you use the PAC ROEM adapter, to don't have to buy a wire harness adapter.
I forgot to mention you will also need the antenna adapter as well. It is very easy to install, it is adapter/harness like DennisMik said. Plug and play with sensitivity adjustments.
Old 02-19-2014, 09:49 AM

Originally Posted by yamanetoshiro
Yes, you can. Each of the speakers have their own amp that power them, which would usually require using an adapter to make it work. In our case (I also have the Bose speakers), you could just bypass with the remote turn-on wire (the blue wire w/ white stripe)
How do you use the remote turn on to make it work.
Old 02-19-2014, 01:55 PM

How do you use the remote turn on to make it work.
Remote turn on is for an aftermarket amp, no need to worry about it....

Once you install the adapter I suggested, turn on the radio, the signal from the radio will turn the Bose amp on. Like I said, it is plug and play.
Old 02-19-2014, 02:22 PM

If you planning on running a cheap aftermarket deck, you will need the PAC adapter.

My suggestion: get a high-end deck with at least 4.8v or 5v (high-voltage) preouts and use the Metra 70-7551 adapter. This method allows you to use your preouts on the headunit to send your audio signal to the Bose amps. Take note again, you need high-voltage preouts to do this. If you use anything below 4v, you will not be satisfied with the volume limit. Simply, you will not have enough signal output to achieve high volume levels. I've used both line-level and preout methods of connecting an aftermarket deck to Maxima Bose speakers, and the preout method is much more simple and clean as far as installation and I also feel this method achieves better sound quality (totally subjective!).

For example, take a look at JVC's current Arsenal line of single DIN decks. Most, if not all, of them come with at least 4.8v preouts at a reasonable price. Again, I do not recommend anything below 4v if using the Metra 70-7551 adapter! With either method, you will need the antenna adapter though.

Last edited by tcaughey; 02-19-2014 at 02:25 PM.
Old 02-19-2014, 06:01 PM

Originally Posted by tcaughey
If you planning on running a cheap aftermarket deck, you will need the PAC adapter.

My suggestion: get a high-end deck with at least 4.8v or 5v (high-voltage) preouts and use the Metra 70-7551 adapter. This method allows you to use your preouts on the headunit to send your audio signal to the Bose amps. Take note again, you need high-voltage preouts to do this. If you use anything below 4v, you will not be satisfied with the volume limit. Simply, you will not have enough signal output to achieve high volume levels. I've used both line-level and preout methods of connecting an aftermarket deck to Maxima Bose speakers, and the preout method is much more simple and clean as far as installation and I also feel this method achieves better sound quality (totally subjective!).

For example, take a look at JVC's current Arsenal line of single DIN decks. Most, if not all, of them come with at least 4.8v preouts at a reasonable price. Again, I do not recommend anything below 4v if using the Metra 70-7551 adapter! With either method, you will need the antenna adapter though.
are you talking about the antenna adapter that comes with the aftermarket harness?
Old 02-20-2014, 07:16 AM

are you talking about the antenna adapter that comes with the aftermarket harness?
LOL this guy is funny!

It is ok to use lower voltage output with PAC adapter, it is true that you do lose sound quality but still an option. To be honest, best way to secure the best sound quality would be to re wire the car, run aftermarket amps bypassing under powered Bose amps and running a decent set of HU. Oh and replace the Bose speakers with a good set of separates for front and back as well as a sub.

Last edited by locknuts27; 02-20-2014 at 12:36 PM.
Old 02-20-2014, 12:38 PM

Why the freak would you waste your money on a good deck to run off of BLOSE amp?
Old 02-20-2014, 01:58 PM
dot dot dot ...

Originally Posted by tcaughey

Damnit ... I can't find any in the 150-200$ range. Someone gave me a Best Buy gift card and I was going to get it with that, that might be my first mistake. because the only ones I have found are 2.0V and IIRC 2.8V.

They also suggested a cheap Metra install kit since I have the Bose, like 12.99$.

A Metra Turbo Wire aftermarket harness for Nissan vehicles.

And the antenna thingy that was mentioned above.
Old 02-21-2014, 07:42 AM

Originally Posted by NmexMAX
Damnit ... I can't find any in the 150-200$ range. Someone gave me a Best Buy gift card and I was going to get it with that, that might be my first mistake. because the only ones I have found are 2.0V and IIRC 2.8V.

They also suggested a cheap Metra install kit since I have the Bose, like 12.99$.

Bro try ebay for JVC arsenal series as well as Alpine. I have an Old School Alpine CDA-7995 which does not have any internal amp. Have to use aftermarket amps to run speakers and subs but does have 4v preouts.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/JVC-KD-R840BT-In-Dash-CD-MP3-WMA-Car-Stereo-Receiver-w-Built-in-Bluetooth-NEW-/121278219728?pt=Car_Audio_In_Dash_Receivers&hash=item1c3cbec5d0#ht_1947wt_1001

Last edited by locknuts27; 02-21-2014 at 07:47 AM.
Old 02-21-2014, 08:50 AM

Originally Posted by NmexMAX

May I suggest the following:
http://www.crutchfield.com/g_300/All...FFDouble%40DIN

http://pac-audio.com/productDetails....&CategoryID=26

http://pac-audio.com/productDetails....&CategoryID=31

and a GLE ventilator assembly
Old 02-21-2014, 02:27 PM

Originally Posted by locknuts27
Why the freak would you waste your money on a good deck to run off of BLOSE amp?
I will eventually do a full system but don't have money right now to do it and I wanted to be able to use my phone music without having to use the tape thing
Old 02-22-2014, 08:11 AM

I will eventually do a full system but don't have money right now to do it and I wanted to be able to use my phone music without having to use the tape thing
Question wasn't directed to you my friend! I get your intentions, I have done that as well. I have a JVC with blue tooth so I can play my music thru BT. Sound was amazing, and no connections!!!
Old 02-24-2014, 10:56 AM

all you need is the $10 Metra 70-7551 Amplifier Integration Harness which you can find on Amazon. I replaced my Bose head unit about 3 years ago with the Clarion NX501 Navigation Unit... at the time the unit offered everything I wanted and then some for a fairly reasonable price.
Trust me you DON'T need the $40-$50 or $60 convertor boxes mentioned above. Just make sure you pick up a head unit with at least 4V preouts and has front and rear RCA channels...
The sound quality is amazing, much better than the stock unit... All speakers in my car OEM Bose and sound amazing... about a year latter I upgraded the sub to the infinity basslink powered directly to the sub out on the headunit so I can control it separately from the rest of the system. If I had to do it again I would chose the same route...
Old 02-28-2014, 07:10 AM

Originally Posted by L_U_D_I_AMaxima
all you need is the $10 Metra 70-7551 Amplifier Integration Harness which you can find on Amazon. I replaced my Bose head unit about 3 years ago with the Clarion NX501 Navigation Unit... at the time the unit offered everything I wanted and then some for a fairly reasonable price.
Trust me you DON'T need the $40-$50 or $60 convertor boxes mentioned above. Just make sure you pick up a head unit with at least 4V preouts and has front and rear RCA channels...
The sound quality is amazing, much better than the stock unit... All speakers in my car OEM Bose and sound amazing... about a year latter I upgraded the sub to the infinity basslink powered directly to the sub out on the headunit so I can control it separately from the rest of the system. If I had to do it again I would chose the same route...
Did you end up re-wiring your entire car with that set up?

OP wants to swap out decks so I am wondering how amp integration helps the OP?
Old 02-28-2014, 04:07 PM

Did you end up re-wiring your entire car with that set up?

OP wants to swap out decks so I am wondering how amp integration helps the OP?
nope... no re-wiring required if he is using the harness which I used to feed signal to the OEM amp... I had to run a separate wire to my aftermarket Sub but thats all... even when I still had the OEM sub on back deck the system sounded 10X better with the aftermarket unit than the OEM Bose unit... trust me its really simple and it works if he gets a good quality high pre out volt unit...
Old 03-01-2014, 03:08 PM

Originally Posted by L_U_D_I_AMaxima
nope... no re-wiring required if he is using the harness which I used to feed signal to the OEM amp... I had to run a separate wire to my aftermarket Sub but thats all... even when I still had the OEM sub on back deck the system sounded 10X better with the aftermarket unit than the OEM Bose unit... trust me its really simple and it works if he gets a good quality high pre out volt unit...
Hey man that's awesome! Maybe you can give pointers to the OP with the set up?
Old 03-02-2014, 05:54 PM

Hey man that's awesome! Maybe you can give pointers to the OP with the set up?
I already did... use the correct harness and find a good quality aftermarket headunit
Old 05-15-2014, 04:58 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

what about keeping your stock headunit and using an aftermarket amp&sub. How would u wire that ???