5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Question about my sisters 2004 3.5 altima

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2013, 09:07 PM

Question about my sisters 2004 3.5 altima

My sister has a 2004 Altima she called me saying the the car would not go over 2k rpms my first thought as limp mode changed MAS problem still there checked cats. Took the car to nissan they said that it was a bad VIAS got a block plate and tried to reset SES light by disconnecting the battery. SES still on, so I got my code reader to check the codes but it says no codes found but the light is still on but the car is not in limp mode anymore. So she has a SES light but it says no codes found any ideas?
Old 11-28-2013, 09:22 PM
Get Off My Lawn

Two things. First, you can't reset the ecu codes by unplugging the battery. Depending on the code reader, you may be able to accomplish that manually. Maybe try that or take it to autozone and let them reset the codes. However, did you check pending codes as well?

Second, if there is a vias fault, removing the actuator does not fix that. The ecu reads the vias solenoid that's under the engine cover beside the vacuum canister. My guess is that has gone bad. Originally when people began deleting their vias system, some removed everything, even the solenoid. They got a code and had to reinstall that peice. Problem solved. So, check the plug and verify your code. Should be able to find that solenoid at a boneyard or contact Ray or Wayne at www.nissanpartsasap.com for pricing on a new unit.
Old 11-29-2013, 10:51 PM

Originally Posted by Chris Gregg
Two things. First, you can't reset the ecu codes by unplugging the battery. Depending on the code reader, you may be able to accomplish that manually. Maybe try that or take it to autozone and let them reset the codes. However, did you check pending codes as well?

Second, if there is a vias fault, removing the actuator does not fix that. The ecu reads the vias solenoid that's under the engine cover beside the vacuum canister. My guess is that has gone bad. Originally when people began deleting their vias system, some removed everything, even the solenoid. They got a code and had to reinstall that peice. Problem solved. So, check the plug and verify your code. Should be able to find that solenoid at a boneyard or contact Ray or Wayne at www.nissanpartsasap.com for pricing on a new unit.
bam this was my problem at first too, I removed everything and got a cel, but no defects in drivability.