5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Check engine light not showing on dash and 5 OBD2 codes.

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2013, 11:46 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Check engine light not showing on dash and 5 OBD2 codes.

2001 Infiniti I30.
My car faced a lot of neglect from the previous owner and now I get to solve these problems. Apparently the dude took out the check engine light bulb. Real sleazy BS I know. Had some dude take the instrument cluster apart and couldn't figure out where the MIL was.

I'm guess I need a new camshaft position sensor, catalytic converter and possibly a new IAC/ECM from the codes I'm getting and maybe more or less... Really need to pass smog and I'm kinda torn about these costly repairs. Need some help diagnosing. It's also running rich. Cold start up problems, you can start smelling the gasoline(maybe bad fuel injector?). I have to give it some gas just for it to idle well enough. Had a mechanic tell me the "heat element" of one of the sensors in my car could be bad.

P1320
P0300
P0420
P0158
P0505

Last edited by Boomshok; 11-17-2013 at 03:32 PM.
Old 11-14-2013, 12:29 PM

This could be an expensive repair session.

P0300 & P1320 are engine misfiring on multiple cylinders codes. The engine misfiring codes do not say specifically which cylinders are having a problem. If it is happening intermittently, that just makes it harder to find out which ones. While the car is running, unplug the wire harness for an ignition coil one at a time. If the engine idle gets worse, that ignition coil is working. If the engine doesn't run any worse, you have found a bad ignition coil. With ignition coils not working, that's probably why you smell gas.

P0158 & P0420 are emissions codes. P0158 is the downstream oxygen sensor for Bank 2 of the engine, the side by the radiator. It is probably also causing the P0420 code which is the pre-cat on Bank 2.

P0505 is the IACV - Idle Air Control Valve. This is used to keep the engine idling smoothly. There is a small electric motor built into the valve that has burned out. The worst part is that many times this will cause transistors in the ECU to burn up, requiring the ECU to need repairs. Getting the ECU repaired is 1/4 or 1/3 the price of a new ECU.

The camshaft sensor is a possible cause for the P1320, but since you have the P0300 also, the camshaft sensor is probably OK. Test it before replacing it. Do the ignition coils first.
Old 11-14-2013, 02:02 PM

Originally Posted by DennisMik

P0158 & P0420 are emissions codes. P0158 is the downstream oxygen sensor for Bank 2 of the engine, the side by the radiator. It is probably also causing the P0420 code which is the pre-cat on Bank 2.
P0420 is Bank 1 and P0158 is Bank 2. Most likely the ongoing misfire caused the bank 1 cat to fail and throw the code. Your Bank 2 O2 sensor is also likely bad.

Fix the misfire first before you deal with these other codes.
Old 11-17-2013, 03:29 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by DennisMik

P0300 & P1320 are engine misfiring on multiple cylinders codes. The engine misfiring codes do not say specifically which cylinders are having a problem. If it is happening intermittently, that just makes it harder to find out which ones. While the car is running, unplug the wire harness for an ignition coil one at a time. If the engine idle gets worse, that ignition coil is working. If the engine doesn't run any worse, you have found a bad ignition coil. With ignition coils not working, that's probably why you smell gas.

P0505 is the IACV - Idle Air Control Valve. This is used to keep the engine idling smoothly. There is a small electric motor built into the valve that has burned out. The worst part is that many times this will cause transistors in the ECU to burn up, requiring the ECU to need repairs. Getting the ECU repaired is 1/4 or 1/3 the price of a new ECU.

The camshaft sensor is a possible cause for the P1320, but since you have the P0300 also, the camshaft sensor is probably OK. Test it before replacing it. Do the ignition coils first.
So let's see. Ignition Coils. IACV,ECU, Catalytic Converter and 1 or 2 Oxygen sensors? =/ sigh...

Also. Taking the wire harness plug from the coil won't bust up a fuse in the fuse box right? That only happens if it's not grounded correct?

So I unplug 1 coil at a time to see if it gets worse or not. If it does it's fine. Do I just plug it back in after testing each one? I don't want the engine to stall and have it turn off(which might happen anyway)
Old 11-17-2013, 04:23 PM
Puerto Rico-Maxima Lover

I could be wrong, but look at the top of your coils for a Grey dot, if they don't have it you need to replace them, it is a common issue on the 2000-2001 coils without the grey dot to go bad. good luck
Old 11-22-2013, 05:26 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

This is gonna be my first and last nissan. This car has been nothing but a money pit.

Lesson learned. Don't buy a car from a Mexican who thinks he's your dad's friend. Talk about getting shafted. The dude literally lives a block away from me. -__-
Old 11-22-2013, 07:50 AM

Originally Posted by Boomshok
This is gonna be my first and last nissan. This car has been nothing but a money pit. Lesson learned. Don't buy a car from a Mexican who thinks he's your dad's friend. Talk about getting shafted. The dude literally lives a block away from me. -__-
I agree wholeheartedly

Sent from my iPhone using MaximaOrg
Old 11-22-2013, 11:19 AM

This is gonna be my first and last nissan. This car has been nothing but a money pit.

Lesson learned. Don't buy a car from a Mexican who thinks he's your dad's friend. Talk about getting shafted. The dude literally lives a block away from me. -__-
It's not really fair to blame Nissan for this. The guy runs the car into the ground and dumps it. This kind of stuff could be any brand of car.

People selling bad stuff have been scamming people forever. There is an old Latin saying - caveat emptor - meaning let the buyer beware.

Everyone pretty much learns the hard way. The next time you buy a used car from an individual, take it to a mechanic for an inspection before shelling out the cash.
Old 11-22-2013, 04:30 PM
Puerto Rico-Maxima Lover

Try not to be a racist, what does a MEXICAN has to do with been a bad car owner? Act more mature and be more responsible. I could say that all white, black, etc etc people are bad car owners, but use your brain not your prejudice.
Old 11-24-2013, 04:37 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by Lontar1
Try not to be a racist, what does a MEXICAN has to do with been a bad car owner? Act more mature and be more responsible. I could say that all white, black, etc etc people are bad car owners, but use your brain not your prejudice.
Try being one of the only white guys working with 95% mexicans in a Strawberry processing warehouse. You'll see what racism really is.

I'm more pissed off because I used to have a Toyota Tacoma to drive around with. Got in an accident last year and could've died was it not for the resiliency of a Toyota Tacoma truck. Getting hit by 4k pound jeep isn't fun. So I deal with insurance for around 2 months. Then my dad just takes all the money we got and dumps it in a matter of a few months.

This was not simply just a regular buy off some dude we didn't know. Me and my dad trusted this dude. What he do? Lied and scammed his way into getting a nice pocket of change for his Infiniti I30.

I don't care if ya say it's not nissan's fault. It's their fault for their piece of crap Idling air system that costs over 1k to repair, and their worthless coil packs which does nothing but throw random misfire codes. I love the 350Z, 370Z, GT-R, skylines, S15's, etc RWD. Their Front wheel drive cars though, can go suck it.

Thanks for the code help. You guys are a nice bunch but I'm too negative about this junk car that my parents are willing to "TRADE IT IN". If my dad wants to set it on fire like he threatens to with his idiot brain then let him. I don't care about cars anymore, they're just transportation vehicles for people to show off with. America used to be great but not anymore. Too many negative people trying to ruin each others lives.
Old 11-24-2013, 09:09 AM

Try being one of the only white guys working with 95% mexicans in a Strawberry processing warehouse. You'll see what racism really is. I'm more pissed off because I used to have a Toyota Tacoma to drive around with. Got in an accident last year and could've died was it not for the resiliency of a Toyota Tacoma truck. Getting hit by 4k pound jeep isn't fun. So I deal with insurance for around 2 months. Then my dad just takes all the money we got and dumps it in a matter of a few months. This was not simply just a regular buy off some dude we didn't know. Me and my dad trusted this dude. What he do? Lied and scammed his way into getting a nice pocket of change for his Infiniti I30. I don't care if ya say it's not nissan's fault. It's their fault for their piece of crap Idling air system that costs over 1k to repair, and their worthless coil packs which does nothing but throw random misfire codes. I love the 350Z, 370Z, GT-R, skylines, S15's, etc RWD. Their Front wheel drive cars though, can go suck it. Thanks for the code help. You guys are a nice bunch but I'm too negative about this junk car that my parents are willing to "TRADE IT IN". If my dad wants to set it on fire like he threatens to with his idiot brain then let him. I don't care about cars anymore, they're just transportation vehicles for people to show off with. America used to be great but not anymore. Too many negative people trying to ruin each others lives.
Wow. In 5 years of owning my 03 maxima I've had zero issues and I will stick with Nissan. All I have had to do was a set of tires brakes and oil changes. Knock in wood. I guess it's all in who owned the car before hand.
Old 11-24-2013, 10:07 AM

It's their fault for their piece of crap Idling air system that costs over 1k to repair, and their worthless coil packs which does nothing but throw random misfire codes.

I love the 350Z, 370Z, GT-R, skylines, S15's, etc RWD. Their Front wheel drive cars though, can go suck it.
$1,000? Do you walk around with a sign on you back saying "SCREW ME"?

I hate to burst your bubble, but the problems you stated are engine related, not FWD related. Nissan only has one V6 engine, the VQ. That means you could have the same problems on the RWD vehicles, too.

You're entitled to your opinion, that's why there are so many different car manufacturers. There are many members of Maxima.org that also have a BMW. They say it is a great car. Maybe you want to try that.