5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

VIDEO: possible engine knock? please watch

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2013, 12:05 PM

VIDEO: possible engine knock? please watch

http:// https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lBjVXJdeStQ&feature=youtube_gdata_player

OK so I noticed this noise on my car, all fluids are good, I just recently changed my oil and oil doesn't burn on my 2001 maxima AE, is this normal? Or could it be spark plugs probably, because spark plugs need to be changed, but I hear this noise by the timing chain area, but I put a screw driver on the cover to hear something, but couldn't hear anything at all. I noticed my friends 3.5 makes a very similar sound. If you guys could please help me out

Last edited by carlos505; 10-24-2013 at 12:13 PM.
Old 10-24-2013, 02:27 PM

That does not sound like timing chain noise. Timing chain or broken guides sounds a lot different. Did you check to make sure all your plugs are tight. It sounds like maybe exhaust leak off the manifold. Its really hard to tell just from the audio.
Old 10-24-2013, 09:03 PM

Originally Posted by SSJRICH
That does not sound like timing chain noise. Timing chain or broken guides sounds a lot different. Did you check to make sure all your plugs are tight. It sounds like maybe exhaust leak off the manifold. Its really hard to tell just from the audio.
I have not checked the plugs, but if a plug was loose wouldn't it give me a misfire?
Old 10-24-2013, 09:54 PM
Get Off My Lawn

Hmmm, maybe its my phone, but sounds like the chain guides to me. Similar to mine and other videos I referenced off youtube.
Old 10-25-2013, 10:10 AM

Hey I am only going by what I hear... Its always hard to diagnose through video. I would never rule something out unless I was diagnosing it in person and I knew for sure.
Old 10-25-2013, 11:21 AM

Originally Posted by SSJRICH
Hey I am only going by what I hear... Its always hard to diagnose through video. I would never rule something out unless I was diagnosing it in person and I knew for sure.
I know what you mean, how could I see if I had an exhaust leak on the manifold? Also could it damage the engine? Sorry if my questions sound stupid
Old 10-25-2013, 12:31 PM

You need to inspect it. Its hard to inspect the mainfolds because of how tight it is and where they are located. If you have a small leak, its not going to damage the engine, but it will turn into a bigger problem and noise.

If it is a timing chain guide, then for the time being its not going to do anything to your engine, unless the chain jumps or slips. It really depends on what part of the guide is broken.
Old 10-30-2013, 02:50 PM

Well I took the car too two mechanics plus a Nissan dealer and they all said the same thing, that it sounds like a normal engine, but to me it just doesn't sound normal, I have heard other maximas on YouTube and can't really hear that sound? So what do you think, I'm I just over stressing?
Old 10-30-2013, 06:11 PM
Get Off My Lawn

I don't think you're over stressing. I'm definitely hearing abnormal engine noise. I listened again. I'm still hearing timing chain noise. Behind it is something else, like lifter noise. It is possible you have a bad hydrolic lifter.

My recommendation is to do an oil change using Rotella 5w-40 T6 oil. It's deisel, but its fine for our cars. It eliminated 75 percent of my recently developed chain noise when cold and about 90 percent in warmer weather (65+ degrees). However, I understand.....as shoud you, that this is not a solution, rather a band aid for worn chain tensioners/guides that need replacing.

I'm curious if even your background tok-tok-tok is connected to the loose chain. Do an oil change and see what can be weeded out. I guarantee the chain rattle will be reduced within 100 miles.
Old 10-30-2013, 09:50 PM

Check your pulleys. Believe it or not, my idler pulley made a sound like the engine was knocking. It turns out, it was a few threads short of falling off from when I messed with the belts a few days prior.

We don't exactly have the most mannered engines on the planet either.
Old 10-31-2013, 09:12 AM

Originally Posted by Chris Gregg
I don't think you're over stressing. I'm definitely hearing abnormal engine noise. I listened again. I'm still hearing timing chain noise. Behind it is something else, like lifter noise. It is possible you have a bad hydrolic lifter.

My recommendation is to do an oil change using Rotella 5w-40 T6 oil. It's deisel, but its fine for our cars. It eliminated 75 percent of my recently developed chain noise when cold and about 90 percent in warmer weather (65+ degrees). However, I understand.....as shoud you, that this is not a solution, rather a band aid for worn chain tensioners/guides that need replacing.

I'm curious if even your background tok-tok-tok is connected to the loose chain. Do an oil change and see what can be weeded out. I guarantee the chain rattle will be reduced within 100 miles.
I just did an oil change like 200miles ago, but I used conventional, the mechanic said I should use synthetic and that could help? What's weird is that the noise never changed, even if its a cold start or I have been driving for hours, with lifters and other knocks they only appear on cold starts and then fade off as the engine gets warm