5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Differential Bearings... RE4F04B

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2013, 02:30 PM

Differential Bearings... RE4F04B

First I should say that I have been a long time reader and the odd post on other threads but never actually made one myself. I have had sooo much help with some of the issues that I've had with my 03 max in the years that I've owned it.

Some background on my car: Its an 03 auto with 210000KM's on her in the last 5 months I've replaced the drivers side axle more than 4 times. I AM lowered on Eibachs, and never had this crazy issue. While explaining the issue with one of the mechanics at work he crawled underneath the car looked at it, wriggled the axle, came out and said your Differential bearing is shot. My jaw dropped, and after I picked it up off the floor he said you get the parts ill HELP you.

Anyone at all experience this issue on the RE4F04B??? I know the 6spd guys have this issue, either that or the Input shaft bearing. On Saturday I will be taking on this repair with said mechanic. I have incredible mechanical skills and am not worried about it one bit.

My question is this--- is there anything else I should be replacing OTHER than both Diff bearings, axle seals, and the transmission fluid?? My transmission shifts fine and everything is solid just the diff bearings are FUBAR'D. I would've liked to have the transgo shift kit in hand before the surgery but unfortunately I have a daughter on the way and money is sparse at the moment and safety is a priority over performance right now.
Old 09-24-2013, 02:09 PM

Anyone at all? I am doing it this weekend and just would like to know. I don't see a problem with only doing the bearings as it's not like I am taking the differential apart any further than taking it out of the housing. I also got all 6 size adjusting shims ONLY because they were a dollar each.
Old 09-24-2013, 02:47 PM

I would probably do axle seals while in there but thats it, and thats just because its easy to screw those up when working on the trans.
Old 09-24-2013, 08:26 PM

Originally Posted by Gemner
I would probably do axle seals while in there but thats it, and thats just because its easy to screw those up when working on the trans.
I already went ahead and order the axle seals when I ordered the bearings, ONLY because I've heard of them oblonging when the bearings go.
Old 09-25-2013, 07:52 AM

Originally Posted by Brudface
I already went ahead and order the axle seals when I ordered the bearings, ONLY because I've heard of them oblonging when the bearings go.
probably a good choice. Cheap parts like that are the ones that really **** you off when you should have taken the chance to replace when it was easy and you didnt.
Old 09-25-2013, 08:47 AM

Funny you should mention how cheap they are... NOT because I live in Canada I pay a premium to get goo parts at the stealership, which sucks but thank god for a good friend who works there amd got me the parts at wholesale... regular price for the bearings and seals is 100/side... know off 35% though and I'm saving a bundle. I was going to order from courtesy nissan but there shipping costs killed me.
Old 09-25-2013, 11:26 AM

+1 for being hosed on parts/shipping cost here in Canada.

I suspect I may be doing this replacement on my 6mt soon, if there is any similarity between the autos and mt's, I'd love some pics of your install.
Old 09-25-2013, 12:38 PM

I would conisder doing a full rebuild while you have the tranny open. New bearing/synchros/seals.. If the labor charge is the same your only costs are the added expense of the extra parts.

I wouldnt want to take that tranny out next year because of synchros needing to be replaced or something.
Old 09-25-2013, 03:12 PM

Full rebuild kits are expensive... especially for an auto, on courtesy nissan parts site the rebuild kit is 380. I would hate to see how much my dealer would charge. Labour on a full rebuild would net you quite a bit.
The reason why I need to replace the differential bearing is because I have a nice amount of play at the transmission, the axle should be solid In there. I can jiggle it around.

I will definitely post some pictures and a before and after video of the axle at transmission. Unfortunately I can't play with the passenger side axle because its mounted to the engine, but while I am in there I may as well replace it. The only reason I am getting the mechanic at work to give me a hand is I would be okay to take the transmission out even in my driveway, but once I get it out and open I'd be flaburgasted... I DO have the fsm in hand but I don't have a bearing press or puller to take them off, or a drift to shove the races, or the seals on.
Old 09-28-2013, 07:11 PM

Going to be doing the repair all by my lonesome tomorrow my mechanic buddy bailed on my for today and i dont think i can wait any longer, the bearings are getting annoyingly loud. Will do a little write-up for it as well if there is still interest. Rented a "gear" puller for the bearings and race, and have a cicular peice of aluminum for pressing them back on. Should be a cake walk. I think that once I have the transmission out it'll get progressively easier from there.
Old 09-28-2013, 07:13 PM

Are you going to do HD2 kit and such?
Old 09-28-2013, 07:16 PM

Originally Posted by george__
Are you going to do HD2 kit and such?
Impossible as the stupid thing is stuck at customs at the border. That'll be another weekend project. There isn't a need to take the transmission out of the car to install the shift kit.
Old 09-28-2013, 07:30 PM

^
How you going to install the HD2 kit without removing the transmission?
Old 09-28-2013, 07:33 PM

Originally Posted by george__
^
How you going to install the HD2 kit without removing the transmission?
The valve body and shift ***** and such are all on the bottom of the transmission. There isn't a need to take it out of the car. Its all accessible when you drop the oil pan.
Old 10-01-2013, 04:00 AM

Just a quick update...
All is well that ends well. The bearings were definitely toasted. Installed new bearings and now have ZERO play at transaxle. Zero noise coming from anywhere. I started this project Sunday at about 11am and didn't end up finishing till Monday at 530pm after taking a test drive and all was said and done.

On a side note the only reason I couldn't finish Sunday night was the A: it was dark and B: the transmission is extremely heavy and unstable on any jack, the weight is distributed poorly and couldn't find a stable spot on it. I will upload some pictures tonight.

Talk about breathing new life into an old car though holy sh-nikes