5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Got a ticket for the light not working showing the license plate.

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2013, 12:32 PM

Got a ticket for the light not working showing the license plate.

But when I tapped it the light came on again but I already got the ticket.

Anyway to make the judge drop the fee?

Basically it has a short.
Old 09-01-2013, 01:15 PM

would help to know where youre located, but i would say suck it up and pay the ticket. bad electrical connection or not, it wasnt working. sounds like the cop was having a bad day to get that bishy over a license plate light though
Old 09-01-2013, 01:28 PM

I have to go to court to show my proof of registration, I left it home.

Cop says he didn't see it and he was being a *****.

I"m trying to bypass paying it, the light works fine since I tapped it, so it's just a short.

Dania beach florida
Old 09-01-2013, 02:32 PM

Wow you got a crappy cop haha. I have not had reg or proof of insurance and not get a ticket.

At this point it is up to the prosecutor. Best you can do is say it is fix and show registration and hope they let you go with a warning.
Old 09-01-2013, 02:43 PM

That sucks. My understanding is that it is a secondary offense and he should not stop you just for that, but if he decided to be a jerk... Go to court and explain the judge the situation. That's your best shot.
Old 09-01-2013, 04:38 PM

I doubt a light being out is a secondary. People are pulled over all the time for it.
Old 09-01-2013, 06:45 PM

Yeah, I gonna go to court for it.

He was a *****, seemed like one of those types that like to harrass people.

It just has a short in it, can I get the bulb at discount auto zone and change it?
Old 09-01-2013, 06:53 PM

How much was the ticket? Afaik having a light burned out isn't a moving violation and you don't get points on your license here in FL.
Old 09-01-2013, 06:55 PM

Originally Posted by tosheto
That sucks. My understanding is that it is a secondary offense and he should not stop you just for that, but if he decided to be a jerk... Go to court and explain the judge the situation. That's your best shot.
Originally Posted by 2damax
I doubt a light being out is a secondary. People are pulled over all the time for it.
Correct, you can get pulled over for having your tag light out here in FL. It's a real d!ck move, but it happens. It's quick money for the local popo's, just like parking tickets and red light camera's.
Old 09-01-2013, 07:19 PM

Its not a short its a bad connection
Old 09-01-2013, 10:59 PM

Originally Posted by t_behr904
how much was the ticket? Afaik having a light burned out isn't a moving violation and you don't get points on your license here in fl.
Old 09-01-2013, 11:00 PM

Originally Posted by DjHackStyle
Its not a short its a bad connection
how do you fix?

new bulb or new wires?
Old 09-02-2013, 05:41 AM

Probably just need to pull the bulb and clean the connection. Around here in east TN, a citation like this would be dismissed if you show evidence it was fixed.
Old 09-02-2013, 07:08 AM

Originally Posted by Scott LaRock
129 just for the bulb or for not having registration on you? either way seems like highway robbery, but in FLA that's standard practice. i'd go to court, the judge will probably reduce the fine if you tell them it just came loose and you fixed it, plus it's one of those things you as a driver could almost never notice yourself since it's only on when you are driving.

Last edited by Pilm; 09-02-2013 at 07:11 AM.
Old 09-02-2013, 07:45 AM

Originally Posted by Pilm
129 just for the bulb or for not having registration on you? either way seems like highway robbery, but in FLA that's standard practice. i'd go to court, the judge will probably reduce the fine if you tell them it just came loose and you fixed it, plus it's one of those things you as a driver could almost never notice yourself since it's only on when you are driving.
just for the bulb not showing.

I'm going to court to see if the judge can lower the charge, I'm gonna fix the light.
Old 09-02-2013, 02:10 PM

129 seems high for having a tag light burned out. Were both out? You only have to have one working tag light, as many cars are only equipped with one. If you do take it to court, you'll still have to pay the court fee, so you're not gonna get out of this not paying something.
Old 09-03-2013, 05:28 AM

what time of night was it? usually if it is late at night they pull you over for a little light like that hoping to find more.
Old 09-03-2013, 09:20 AM

I got pulled over for the light being out but I tapped it afterwards and it lit up again and it works now. But I also left my registration at home and my insurance and the cop told me I can go to court and just show them the registration and insurance and the fee would not be charged.

What should I do? Three of them at 129 each

It's was late night in Miami Beach, I was with my mom and we were going fishing. The cop had backup and his backup knew my mom from church and he still wrote the ticket.
Old 09-03-2013, 11:22 AM

do they not do fix it tickets in FL?
Old 09-03-2013, 12:32 PM

I got pulled over once for this, but mine worked. I had a tinted plate cover on so he couldnt see it... Got a ticket for no light, obstructed plate, no front plate, and no insurance. I had insurance, just my card was not up to date.

I went to court, spoke with prosecutor, and had pictures of the front of my car ( my car doesnt have a plate mount, so I put it in the windshield), I had put some white LED lights in my plate spot, and I brought my insurance. She dropped ALL charges and laughed that the cop gave me the citations. Not sure how your states law is...

In your case:
It sounds like a fix it ticket. Go to court, talk with prosecutor, show proof of both registration and proof of insurance.

I would take a picture of the light working that you can show them, no need to go into detail with them about it being a short, just say you replaced the bulb and it works 100%
Old 09-03-2013, 04:32 PM

I got pulled over for the light being out but I tapped it afterwards and it lit up again and it works now. But I also left my registration at home and my insurance and the cop told me I can go to court and just show them the registration and insurance and the fee would not be charged.

What should I do? Three of them at 129 each

It's was late night in Miami Beach, I was with my mom and we were going fishing. The cop had backup and his backup knew my mom from church and he still wrote the ticket.
Your registration should always be in your car, and your insurance card should always be in your wallet, or in your car with the registration. Sounds like you really did something to **** this cop off if he wrote you all of these tickets, despite the fact that the backup cop knows your mom.
Old 09-03-2013, 06:44 PM

Originally Posted by T_Behr904
Your registration should always be in your car, and your insurance card should always be in your wallet, or in your car with the registration. Sounds like you really did something to **** this cop off if he wrote you all of these tickets, despite the fact that the backup cop knows your mom.
If there's a god above I did nothing. I'm a older man, no criminal record, seat belt on, my mom in the passenger seat and her friend in the back.

We just wanted to go fishing at the pier, had the rods in the back.

My moms church sister who is also a cop said the guy who wrote me the tickets writes alot of tickets.

Funny thing is a young lady drove by with a broken headlight and she let her go but this cop writes three tickets to me.

I'm not speculating but I'm black in a rich area driving a older car, I think the cop just wanted to screw with me.

I'm no criminal, no guns, drugs or none of that stuff.
Old 09-03-2013, 06:55 PM

If there's a god above I did nothing. I'm a older man, no criminal record, seat belt on, my mom in the passenger seat and her friend in the back.

We just wanted to go fishing at the pier, had the rods in the back.

My moms church sister who is also a cop said the guy who wrote me the tickets writes alot of tickets.

Funny thing is a young lady drove by with a broken headlight and she let her go but this cop writes three tickets to me.

I'm not speculating but I'm black in a rich area driving a older car, I think the cop just wanted to screw with me.

I'm no criminal, no guns, drugs or none of that stuff.
Sorry to hear that mang, sounds like you got a raw deal on that one.
Old 09-03-2013, 06:57 PM

Ya officer discretion is good and bad. I did a couple ride alongs with this one cop that gave everyone going 11mph or more over the limit a ticket. He stopped everyone for everything like taking a right on red. Then he gave tickets to them even if there was nothing else and they were respectful.

Good luck in court. Im sure you wont pay much if anything.
Old 09-03-2013, 07:00 PM

He stopped everyone for everything like taking a right on red.
You can't make a right on red where you live? You can here, unless it's marked that you can't, and those are few and far between.
Old 09-03-2013, 07:03 PM

Should have been more specific. There was a sign that said "no right on red."
Old 09-03-2013, 07:08 PM

Should have been more specific. There was a sign that said "no right on red."
Gotcha...

Ok back on topic now
Old 09-03-2013, 07:09 PM

I know there's always two sides to a story. Where you doing something illegal to attract him/her? Is your car modified? Where you rude and disrespectful to him/her? Did you try explaining that you wasn't aware of the short in the license plate and if he/she issued the ticket without a caution that's arguable. If you got the light to work while he/she was there why didn't you record it with the camera phone as proof in court that the light did indeed have a short and it was working while the cop was at the scene?

I have a fully modified car but it's legally modified with nothing to attract them. No coloured license plate cover, no excessively dark tints, lowering is safe, no rubbing, headlight aren't coloured, license plate is clear and visible, exhaust isn't loud and annoying. Basically saying that they will have to find something to book me for. I've seen ppl get away with murder with regular cars and I can't so I just play it safe. Either that or you got a cop trying to fill his/her quota for the end of the month which is unfortunate. I got four one shot a few years back.

Last edited by mrjasonlyrics; 09-03-2013 at 07:12 PM.
Old 09-03-2013, 08:29 PM

Copped tagged me once for a license plate light. I had the replacement bulbs in my console, screws were rusted on so he let's me go. But during that exchange he goes on to tell me that he's had some of his best arrest's on minor violations like those. This cop was reasonable, unfortunately seems like you got hosed. Go to court and at least get them to reduce the fines! Good luck
Old 09-03-2013, 09:42 PM

Originally Posted by mrjasonlyrics
I have a fully modified car but it's legally modified with nothing to attract them. No coloured license plate cover, no excessively dark tints, lowering is safe, no rubbing, headlight aren't coloured, license plate is clear and visible, exhaust isn't loud and annoying.
I think that's referred to as OEM+ and I love that.
My 500hp bmw looks stock, never pulled over and had it for 10 years.

1 time I was doing burnouts in an empty lot and the cop passing by let me go.
Even checked under the hood I told him it was stock. Everything is OEM looking.

Say no to rice!
Not singling anyone out just in general.

Last edited by Donkeypunch; 09-03-2013 at 09:45 PM.
Old 09-04-2013, 03:10 AM

Originally Posted by mrjasonlyrics
I know there's always two sides to a story. Where you doing something illegal to attract him/her? Is your car modified? Where you rude and disrespectful to him/her? Did you try explaining that you wasn't aware of the short in the license plate and if he/she issued the ticket without a caution that's arguable. If you got the light to work while he/she was there why didn't you record it with the camera phone as proof in court that the light did indeed have a short and it was working while the cop was at the scene?

I have a fully modified car but it's legally modified with nothing to attract them. No coloured license plate cover, no excessively dark tints, lowering is safe, no rubbing, headlight aren't coloured, license plate is clear and visible, exhaust isn't loud and annoying. Basically saying that they will have to find something to book me for. I've seen ppl get away with murder with regular cars and I can't so I just play it safe. Either that or you got a cop trying to fill his/her quota for the end of the month which is unfortunate. I got four one shot a few years back.
Car is stock, I'm hoping court goes well.

They say I can mail in the proof of registration and insurance and I'll see about the tag light being out.