5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Driver's Power Seat Malfunction

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2013, 04:13 PM

Driver's Power Seat Malfunction

So, this is an '03 SE with side airbags. The up/down and seat back functions work fine. It's just the slide forward and back function that I'm having trouble with. The left side that seems to be stuck. The motor sounds fine, since it still slides on the right side of the cushion. I don't remember dropping any coins or anything else under the seat.

I bought this car back in February, and I used to hear a strange noise coming from the left side when sliding the seat. Then yesterday, it just quit. I forced it a bit with my body weight while pressing the button, and it moved forward close enough to my seating position. I also turned off the auto slide back feature. Has anybody seen this before? Is it an easy fix? Any info will be greatly appreciated.

Sent from my iPad using MaximaOrg
Old 08-28-2013, 06:31 PM

Either the nylon gear on the motor has stripped or the brushes in the motor have hung up. Try tapping on the end of the motor with a hammer and see if that helps. Otherwise, it is replace parts time.
Old 08-28-2013, 07:23 PM

Is there a motor for each function and side of the cushion or does one motor move everything? I'm curious because the other 6 functions (cushion up/down x 2, seat back up/down) are still operable. So if it has multiple motors, then the cushion slide has 2 motors (right and left), and the left one took a dump? Thanks.
Old 08-29-2013, 08:44 AM

There are 3 motors, one for the seat back, one for up and down and one for front/rear slide. The motor is mounted on the driver's side and runs the driver's side track from one end and has a long shaft out the other end to drive the other track.

Here is a service bulletin on this:

http://maxima.theowensfamily.com/tsb/NTB02-001c.pdf
Old 08-29-2013, 10:13 AM

Originally Posted by ramriv777
Is there a motor for each function and side of the cushion or does one motor move everything? I'm curious because the other 6 functions (cushion up/down x 2, seat back up/down) are still operable. So if it has multiple motors, then the cushion slide has 2 motors (right and left), and the left one took a dump? Thanks.
This happened on both my front seats, everything worked except up and back. After just a few taps with a hammer near each motor both started working.
Old 08-29-2013, 10:40 AM

Originally Posted by DennisMik
There are 3 motors, one for the seat back, one for up and down and one for front/rear slide. The motor is mounted on the driver's side and runs the driver's side track from one end and has a long shaft out the other end to drive the other track.

Here is a service bulletin on this:

http://maxima.theowensfamily.com/tsb/NTB02-001c.pdf
Thanks for the info and SB link. I will try this tonight and let you guys know what happens.

Sent from my iPhone using MaximaOrg
Old 08-29-2013, 12:44 PM

I am going to try this and see if it helps.
Old 08-29-2013, 07:21 PM

Well, I tried tapping the motor with a hammer to no avail. I guess i'm going to have to replace something down there. The question is what? The motor still work because it moves the right side of the cushion. I tried searching for parts on the Tri-Cities Nissan site. The only thing offered is the seat frame, and it cost almost $1k!!!! I'm not going down that route. Any suggestions? Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using MaximaOrg
Old 08-29-2013, 07:37 PM

Nissan doesn't offer parts, unfortunately.

The side that doesn't move probably has a stripped gear. You will have to remove the seat to verify that.

Here is a link to a thread about fixing this. It is an old thread and most of the photos don't display, but the step by step stuff may help you.

http://forums.maxima.org/5th-generat...eat-motor.html

These links are places that sell the gears. Kinda expensive but a lot less than the dealer.

Amazon.com: C147 00-04 Nissan Infiniti Power Seat Track Rail Drive Gear Repair Kit Maxima I30 I35 01 02 03 04: Automotive Amazon.com: C147 00-04 Nissan Infiniti Power Seat Track Rail Drive Gear Repair Kit Maxima I30 I35 01 02 03 04: Automotive

http://www.odometergears.com/product...2+-+Present/91
Old 03-05-2014, 01:44 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Driver Seat Motor

Yes, I have the same problem with my '04. Initially the mechanic banged on it and it worked then quit again. He said the motor needed to be replaced. All the other functions work just not the back and forth. He also said it is a common problem he sees with Nissans.

Originally Posted by ramriv777
So, this is an '03 SE with side airbags. The up/down and seat back functions work fine. It's just the slide forward and back function that I'm having trouble with. The left side that seems to be stuck. The motor sounds fine, since it still slides on the right side of the cushion. I don't remember dropping any coins or anything else under the seat.

I bought this car back in February, and I used to hear a strange noise coming from the left side when sliding the seat. Then yesterday, it just quit. I forced it a bit with my body weight while pressing the button, and it moved forward close enough to my seating position. I also turned off the auto slide back feature. Has anybody seen this before? Is it an easy fix? Any info will be greatly appreciated.

Old 03-05-2014, 06:35 PM

Originally Posted by cybercat919
Yes, I have the same problem with my '04. Initially the mechanic banged on it and it worked then quit again. He said the motor needed to be replaced. All the other functions work just not the back and forth. He also said it is a common problem he sees with Nissans.
Well, the fact that I couldn't adjust the seat was driving me nuts. On top of that, my wife's nagging that she couldn't drive the car because the seat was too far back (I saw that as a good thing, but she doesn't need to know that...) made me cave in, and I bought the motor kit. I installed it last weekend, and I'm a happy camper. It wasn't nearly as difficult as I thought it would be. I bought it from an Infiniti dealer in New Jersey through eBay. It cost $295 with shipping, and it includes the slide motor, gear boxes, flexible shaft, and worm gears.

My Max is an '03, and these kits fit 00-03 models. The Nissan part number for cars with memory seat is 87562-C9926. If your car has no memory seat, the part number is 87562-C9927. AGAIN, these kits fit 5th. gen Maximas (00-03), but I'm sure there should be one for 6th gen Maximas as well.

Last edited by ramriv777; 03-05-2014 at 06:37 PM.
Old 06-16-2023, 02:45 PM

Originally Posted by DennisMik
Nissan doesn't offer parts, unfortunately.

The side that doesn't move probably has a stripped gear. You will have to remove the seat to verify that.

Here is a link to a thread about fixing this. It is an old thread and most of the photos don't display, but the step by step stuff may help you.

http://forums.maxima.org/5th-generat...eat-motor.html

These links are places that sell the gears. Kinda expensive but a lot less than the dealer.

Amazon.com: C147 00-04 Nissan Infiniti Power Seat Track Rail Drive Gear Repair Kit Maxima I30 I35 01 02 03 04: Automotive

http://www.odometergears.com/product...2+-+Present/91

A belated thank you for the great links, especially "odometer gears dot com", but those are expensive at $65.00 a piece. That's some serious markup and price gouging.
Amazon link no longer works, comes up as 404 and won't even tell you what you were looking for so to deconstruct the link wording you can still find the plastic gears using these as search terms.

Copy/Paste all or any combination thereof and you will get some hits on Amazon: C147 00-04 Nissan Infiniti Power Seat Track Rail Drive Gear Repair Kit Maxima I30 I35 01 02 03 04

I'm not however getting any hits for a Nissan car older than 2004 however, but they might all be the same regardless.

Currently facing an almost complete inoperability of the driver's power seat. At least the seat back still works...

Car is 23 years old but seems like a really really really badly designed seat adjuster system.