5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

aftermarket exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2013, 06:13 PM

aftermarket exhaust

So the only thing i hate about my 02 maxima is that it's so quiet. Wouldn't be a problem if it was an automatic, but i have a 6 speed and being a little hard of hearing i can't really hear the engine run. In turn it makes it a little harder to do things like move from a dead stop. I end up riding the clutch cause I don't hear very well how the engine is running. I'd like to get a cat back system for it, cause i feel that will help me out alot. Hears where i need the help. I wanna find a system that is more deep sounding. I don't want that loud annoying 4 banger sound. Seems all the exhaust i'm interested in the companys don't make a system for my car. Can I get some guidance on what to choose? I like the youtube videos of people who used Greedy and Borla, but those guys pieced thier systems together i think.
Old 08-25-2013, 07:17 PM
Get Off My Lawn

What is your budget? Doesn't sound like you are too concerned with adding performance. So, I suggest you go to a local muffler shop and have them fab you up a 2 1/4" or 2 1/2" system with a Magnaflow resonator section (18" long is a good one) and get a muffler of your choice. Bends may be crushed bent, but even with a 2 1/2" system, it will be a lot better flowing than what is on the car now.

Another alternative could be to simply replace the stock resonator section with straight pipe and leave your stock muffler. That would be the absolute cheapest route. That stock resonator section just smothers the VQ.
Old 08-25-2013, 07:24 PM

I'm not to worried about the money part cause your right, i'm not looking for a total performance exhaust. I just want it to me a little louder so i can hear how the engine is running. Which will help me understand how i need to control in gear wise. I just don't want that kackly annoying sound i hear on some of these cars around here. Will removing the resinator make it sound that way?
Old 08-26-2013, 05:48 AM

Originally Posted by Maximumdan
I'm not to worried about the money part cause your right, i'm not looking for a total performance exhaust. I just want it to me a little louder so i can hear how the engine is running. Which will help me understand how i need to control in gear wise. I just don't want that kackly annoying sound i hear on some of these cars around here. Will removing the resinator make it sound that way?
Removing the resonator will cause the most painful droning sound on the highway.

If you want to do something minimal, replace the main cat convertor with a straight test pipe or one that looks like a cat, but with a pipe through it. That will make it a little louder.
Old 08-26-2013, 07:16 AM
B!tch We Got a Problem

You're looking for a good tone to hear the quiet motor...I suggest doing the GAB mod to your stock air box.
Old 08-26-2013, 07:43 AM
Get Off My Lawn

Anything you do will have consequences. Instead of straight piping the resonator, could install a glass pack/smaller resonator. With stock muffler, noise and drone will not be horrible.

I like the GAB suggestion.

But I will say, I've always found that learning to drive/shift the car by feel is far and wide better than doing so by sound.
Old 08-26-2013, 07:16 PM

fully bolt on, or as close as possible, http://www.ebay.com/itm/161080826503...84.m1423.l2649
Old 08-26-2013, 07:28 PM

The previous owner actually put a cold air intake on it. Which i can hear when i'm really going at it. I more want a louder exhaust for taking off from a dead stop. I have the hardest time getting it to go, because of my hearing, not being able to hear how fast the engine is running. I'd like an exhaust or just a muffler, but i want something more on the low tune side.
Old 08-26-2013, 10:19 PM

Honestly i would go with the srs catback .. i bought it and i love it. its pretty cheap and easy to install by yourself.. get the dual tip though not the fart can. theres a little drone on the highway but nothing your speakers cant handle
Old 08-27-2013, 11:15 AM

Originally Posted by 5thGenHaas
Honestly i would go with the srs catback .. i bought it and i love it. its pretty cheap and easy to install by yourself.. get the dual tip though not the fart can. theres a little drone on the highway but nothing your speakers cant handle

+1 I have the srs and its a great system for the money. It is very easy to install (once you get the oem junk finally off) and I really like it.