5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Should I do it...again..?

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2013, 01:40 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Should I do it...again..?

Hey guys. I used to have an '02 Sterling Mist SE that I made the mistake of selling back in early 2008. I was a recent college grad and thought I needed something newer and better, so I bought a demo 2007 Murano. Had that for just over 2 years (didn't like the CVT or car payments), then bought my dad's 2005 Titan. That was a great truck, powerful, reliable, and fun, but being a single 28 year-old guy living back in NJ, having a pickup is not cool. Also it sucked on gas. So I sold the Titan back in June, and I have been looking for cars since then. Almost bought a few new cars, but something held me back. Now I'm looking for something old and fun that I can get for under $6 or $7k. I had some issues with the Max when I had it, but I had a lot of fun with that car, too. The thought just crossed my mind this morning...should I really buy the same car I had almost 10 years ago? I've found a few good examples around 100k miles and under $6,500.00. I know it will probably burn a little oil between fill-ups and is not the best on gas, but there's just some allure to this car. Maybe it's because I already had the experience and know a lot about the cars. Would you go back and do it again?
Old 08-01-2013, 01:49 PM
dot dot dot ...

Mine has been trouble free since I've owned it, sans 1 MAF at 90k that I bought used on here for 55$. 133k now.

You might be lucky and get a non oil burner like me. I add about half a quart every 3k miles.

If I was looking for something outright, no payment, I would definitely look at this car. I actually am in fact and am looking at an MT of some sort.

6MT's actually do get good MPG's even by today's standards, and considering the power output. Also my 4AT gets 27 highway.

But I would explore options like the G35, although, not so fun in NJ in the winter.

In short, I would, yes.
Old 08-01-2013, 02:02 PM

I would as well. I just bought mine a year and a half ago, and am planning on keeping her for at least as long as I had my last car (8 years)...and when I do end up getting another one, the Maxima will be at the top of my list.

Last edited by Amerikaner83; 08-01-2013 at 02:39 PM.
Old 08-01-2013, 02:07 PM

I definitely would! The 5.5 is one of the best bang for your buck you can get in that price range, but you're asking on a Maxima forum, so the answers will be biased here...

If you are after an older car with allure for $7k max, you can also look at Lexus IS300. I think it's a great looking car too.
Old 08-01-2013, 04:42 PM

Your story sound a lot like mine. I used to own an 02 Tungsten Blue SE. I loved that car, but in 2007, I decided to trade it in for a new G35 sedan (V36). I really enjoyed the Infiniti, but I also missed my Max. As you mentioned, there is a certain appeal to the 5.5 gen that I could never get over. The G was a lease, and eventually I turned it back in. My finance situation was not the same when I returned the G. I had just been laid off my job, and I couldn't take advantage of the purchase option on the G. So, my step-father sold me a 98 Nissan Frontier he owned since new, and that was my daily driver for 5 years. I always kept thinking I would have another Max, and 5 months ago I sold the Frontier and bought an 03 Merlot SE TE. She has a few things I need to get fixed (motor mounts:done, valve cover gaskets: done, oil cooler seal: tomorrow, etc.), and I've taken care of almost everything already, but no regrets! I've enjoyed every minute of it. My very "biased" advice to you is: GET ONE! You'll be glad you did.
Old 08-01-2013, 04:50 PM

Get a 6mt 5.5 you'll be happy, I do agree with NmexMAX, if the money is there, a 6mt G35 is not a bad look either.
Old 08-01-2013, 06:02 PM

I like the maxi-pad so I'd say do it! Pretty solid cars if you know what I mean. '97 here with '02 6MT swap, etc. Can't beat the power, fun, etc. best of all price....
Old 08-01-2013, 07:21 PM

I would. Just make sure you inspect everything is detail when you buy one.
Old 08-01-2013, 07:24 PM
Get Off My Lawn

350z VQHR

Live your midlife crisis now before you have a family.

Then, you can evaluate if Nissan has Actually done something appealing with a newer gen Max for the family.
Old 08-01-2013, 07:36 PM

I've done this several times - though not with the maxima. That is, I've owned at least 2 of several different cars with several year gaps in between. I like what I like and my life style/choices/family needs...etc tend to sway the purchase of the same car at a different time.

Not that I disagree that the 5.5 is a major ride for the money (in fact all 4th and 5th/5.5 maximas are). But why not consider a 00 or 01? I know all that "power" isn't there - but I am ever so pleased with my 00' 5spd SE. No oil burning, 24-28mpg mixed and 30 hwy and all the looks and feel of a 5.5 I can see why folks add a little power to these cars but these things are going for $3k-5k around here ALL DAY; for nice specimens to boot.
Old 08-03-2013, 07:50 PM

If payin over 5k make damn sure motor mounts are solid,radiator support isn't rusted, struts n shocks all good other then that you should buy one!