5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Headlights Flicker When Turning Turn Signal On/Off

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2013, 10:25 PM

Headlights Flicker When Turning Turn Signal On/Off

I've searched but never came up with a result that matches my issue. On my I30, the headlights usually flicker off for a split second when I put on the turn signal and also when it goes back to its off position. It doesn't happen 100% of the time, but it happens most of the time. I've noticed that if I somewhat guide it instead of it just flicking up and down it doesn't seem to happen. I've googled it and someone said it happened on their QX4 and changing the switch fixed it. I'm thinking that's what needs to be replaced on my car since this doesn't happen when I put the hazards on or off. If I resort to doing this, how difficult is it to change the switch (if anyone has done it). Thanks for any info!
Old 07-30-2013, 12:46 AM

This happened to me before on my HID retrofit that I did to my 2000 maxima. It only seemed to occur when the lights were on "AUTO" on/off, and seemed to go away if I manually turned the on(by turning the stalk to the on position for the lights).
Old 07-30-2013, 04:06 AM

It's been years since I was a Nissan Tech but back when the second gen Maxima's were around (tell's you how old I am) they had problems with the turn signal switch going bad. I can't say that this is your problem but if I could find one cheap it might be worth a try. Good luck.
Old 07-30-2013, 04:09 AM
a.k.a. STuNtMAN

check for any loose connections.........also could have a bulb or ballast soon to be on it's way out
Old 07-30-2013, 07:01 AM
Get Off My Lawn

As mentioned, check wiring.
If you do find you need a turn signal stalk, I have a brand new (never installed) turn/headlight stalk with the driving light switch.
Old 07-30-2013, 10:52 AM

Originally Posted by Mr. Blue Sky
This happened to me before on my HID retrofit that I did to my 2000 maxima. It only seemed to occur when the lights were on "AUTO" on/off, and seemed to go away if I manually turned the on(by turning the stalk to the on position for the lights).
I forgot to mention that. I did try once and having the switch on "On" did eliminate the flickering. But then what's the point of auto headlights if I have to keep turning them on?

Originally Posted by Chris Gregg
As mentioned, check wiring.
If you do find you need a turn signal stalk, I have a brand new (never installed) turn/headlight stalk with the driving light switch.
If I decide to go the route of changing it, I'll let you know. But from your signature with your Maxima, do you have a switch for a 5th or 5.5 gen? Just since the designs differ between them.
Old 07-30-2013, 07:02 PM
Get Off My Lawn

It's a 5.5 gen. Sorry, thought they were the same design.
Old 07-30-2013, 07:03 PM

i have the same problem. I have searched and have yet to find an actual solution. I read somewhere that someone changed the switch and still had problems. I think they said it was the piece down further in the column that needed to be replaced.
Old 07-30-2013, 07:25 PM
Get Off My Lawn

Recall the thread? Can you post it into this thread?
Old 08-01-2013, 04:39 PM

Same issue here, went to junk yard, got a new switch, hasent happened again yet. Rock auto has them new for like $30.
Old 08-01-2013, 09:27 PM

Originally Posted by Mr. Blue Sky
True...
Old 08-01-2013, 11:13 PM

Since it would only happen when the switch is on Auto, I'd think it has to do with something weird in the switch. If I can get some help to take off the steering wheel (which seems to be a real PIA from the service manual) then perhaps I'll get a switch when the weather isn't so damn hot outside and give it a try. Switch from RockAuto was about $75 so I'll probably wait a little for my bank account to recover from some other things I had done (just had a caliper freeze up and the axle boot tore, both of which were addressed last week, as well as a dashboard bin coming in from a Texas dealer). Just one more thing to add to my to-do list I started 2 years ago on the car lol
Old 02-12-2014, 08:57 PM

I know I'm bumping an old thread of mine but I just wanted to mention what fixed my flickering. Since disassembling my steering column wasn't a priority on my to-do list, my electrician friend told me about getting a set of the HID error eliminators. If you don't know, they are capacitors and usually are used on cars where installing HIDs yields a "bulb out" warning. In this case, the capacitors are leveling out the voltage drop from the turn signal switch moving that caused the lights to flicker in Auto. Obviously it can't be done if you have halogen headlights, and I'm not sure how it would be with Maximas with OEM HIDs. I'm happy that my headlights won't flicker whenever I turn now lol
Old 02-12-2014, 09:04 PM

I fixed my flicker problem. I have factory HID headlights. I disassembled the headlight switch, cleaned the contacts with sandpaper, applied dielectric grease and voila, no more flicker with turn signal cancel.
Old 02-13-2014, 04:22 PM

Good to know.
Mine does this.
It does it so fast I wasn't really sure it was actually happening or just me.
Thanks!
Old 02-14-2014, 09:43 AM

Originally Posted by MaxMike93
I know I'm bumping an old thread of mine but I just wanted to mention what fixed my flickering. Since disassembling my steering column wasn't a priority on my to-do list, my electrician friend told me about getting a set of the HID error eliminators. If you don't know, they are capacitors and usually are used on cars where installing HIDs yields a "bulb out" warning. In this case, the capacitors are leveling out the voltage drop from the turn signal switch moving that caused the lights to flicker in Auto. Obviously it can't be done if you have halogen headlights, and I'm not sure how it would be with Maximas with OEM HIDs. I'm happy that my headlights won't flicker whenever I turn now lol
How and where are these capacitors installed. Any additional info?
Old 02-14-2014, 09:55 AM

Originally Posted by DennisMik
How and where are these capacitors installed. Any additional info?
They are plugged in between the ballast and the bulbs. You just have to make sure they are plugged in properly since there was a warning that if they are plugged in backwards (reverse polarity) then the capacitor can explode. They are only temporarily mounted right now with zip ties to the upper radiator support (so that they won't fall into the engine bay anywhere or band around much) because it was freezing cold the other night and I need to prepare a proper mounting spot for them to stay. They also weren't expensive at $8 shipped from eBay. I checked all the feedback for them and it was all positive.
Old 03-13-2014, 06:13 AM

Originally Posted by gapboi210
I fixed my flicker problem. I have factory HID headlights. I disassembled the headlight switch, cleaned the contacts with sandpaper, applied dielectric grease and voila, no more flicker with turn signal cancel.
How difficult is it to disassemble the steering column and get at the switch? What kind of tools are needed, how many bolts are there, etc.?
Old 03-13-2014, 07:44 AM
Da Roller Coaster!

Fairly easy...couple of screws for the column covers. I think the switch is held with screws or 10mm bolts. Very easy...
Old 03-13-2014, 10:44 AM

If you are mechanincally inclined you can easily remove the switch. I think switch and colum covers were held with phillips screws. You will have to look at the switch and figure out how to dis-assemble it without loosing the small springs and contacts.

I did not do a write up. I figured if you are mechanically inclined it should not be a problem at all. If not, then you probably won't want to attempt it. It is not hard at all to do, but can very easily be messed up. Loose one of the small parts, not put the contacts back in the right order and right direction etc.
Old 11-20-2014, 02:31 PM

Originally Posted by gapboi210
... I figured if you are mechanically inclined it should not be a problem at all. If not, then you probably won't want to attempt it. It is not hard at all to do, but can very easily be messed up. Loose one of the small parts, not put the contacts back in the right order and right direction etc.
I had the flashing headlight problem on my I30 and just completed this repair. It was somewhat of a challenge to get all the clips on the switch to release, it was a breeze once that was done.

Some additional info:

Both the top and bottom portions of the switch can be removed, but it is the bottom (with the metal visible under the plastic) that you want to remove. There are three sliders inside that have small contacts on them with tiny springs underneath. If you're careful the contacts will stay in place on the sliders. The sliders themselves will just fall out so make sure you make note of were they go. I cleaned the contacts with alcohol, 400 grit sandpaper and then applied dielectric grease. When you snap it back together make sure that the turn signal locks into place in each direction and the switches operate smoothly.