5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Catalyst Monitoring Incomplete

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2013, 08:02 AM

Catalyst Monitoring Incomplete

It has been few months and few thousand miles since one of the post cat sensor was changed. I am not complaining loudly as I got my sticker with one incomplete but I really would like to know as to what is preventing it from completing. I have live data but do not see anything obvious there.

Something is preventing the car ECU from running the cat convertor test. Any idea what that could be? There are no stored or pending codes.

2000 Maxima GXE 5-speed
Old 08-11-2013, 01:00 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Monitor not ready

You would expect that it would be OK by now. Have you tried performing a Basic Drive Cycle? I did maybe 2 of these and finally got the O2 monitor ready. If you don;t cover some of these conditions, which are suppossed to simulate typical driving, but my commute would never cover it.

There are all sorts of special conditions for some of the monitors like having a tank that is 30-70% full, or I think something about <90 F (good luck with that for some of you)
Acceleration should be 1/2 to 2/3 throttle, no Grandma/Prius owner and no Johnny Rocket.

Paraphrasing the one I used:

1) Start Cold (=outside temp), let idle for 3-5 minute while turning on all defrosters, htr/A/C. It should be down to normal idle speed at the end.

2) Do some city driving defined as 25mph with some occasional 35-40 mph moments. Do complete stops, no California rolls. I used cruise at 26 and stopped at least 5 times.

3) Get onto the highway, accelerating as above, and then start the hard part. Cruise at 55-60, no faster, for at least 5 miles. After an 8 hour cool down for a cold start, I did my last one around 8pm, so I was less of a hazard trying to hold 58. Cruise recommended as I seem to recall past reading that some things needed to be precise and straying would kill the test. I seriously thought about putting a sign in the rear window "Performing Drive Cycle Testing" to keep people off my *** and give their lazy selfs a hint to go around. Second part, where the sign and flashers might help, find a long off ramp and glide from 55 down to as low as possible without touching the brake or the gears (manual people, can't help you, this may have been the automatic test).

3) more city driving as in 1).

4) park it and idle for 2-3 minutes before shutting off.

I don't know if these can be accomplished out of sequence, but I will say that I had some 45mph driving in between the highway and city steps and it still worked.

Different states have different tolerances with how many non reporting monitors are allowed, possibly depending on which one is involved, so check with yours if it's test time.
Old 08-12-2013, 02:23 PM

But after few thousands of miles on the vehicle, one would think it must have hit those conditions. I have owned this car since new, so I know how quickly it used to reach the ready state (or throw code :-)

After the clutch replacement, I do not believe the CAT has reached ready. It has been nine months and probably about the same K miles on it since.

For Mass, I believe I get two incomplete for 2000 model.

The service manual has quite a long section on this. I should really read it through.
Old 08-12-2013, 09:22 PM

Mine wont complete either...been THOUSANDS of miles. I just dont care anymore.
Old 08-13-2013, 06:59 AM

Hey guys here's a guide I wrote on how to make all monitors ready, follow it closely and it will work 100%. The chart there is for the 4th gen...but I think it'll work for the 5th gen too.

http://forums.maxima.org/4th-generat...how-ready.html