5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

cabin air filter

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2013, 07:38 AM

cabin air filter

hi guys. I think I need to replace my cabin filter for my 2003 nissan maxima se.

any recommendations? and whats the pricing on them?
Old 07-18-2013, 09:22 AM

The older ones used to be one big filter. Now the filter is made of 2 smaller pieces, so be aware when you are buying a replacement.

Prices are all over the place. And be careful in that some places show the price for one panel and you need two.

http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/x,ca...,parttype,6832
Old 07-18-2013, 09:31 AM

Originally Posted by DennisMik
The older ones used to be one big filter. Now the filter is made of 2 smaller pieces, so be aware when you are buying a replacement.

Prices are all over the place. And be careful in that some places show the price for one panel and you need two.

http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/x,ca...,parttype,6832
yea. I am searching on amazon and it seems like most of them are 2 pieces.
do you know if this is any good
Amazon.com: TYC 800114C2 Nissan/Infiniti Replacement Cabin Air Filter: Automotive Amazon.com: TYC 800114C2 Nissan/Infiniti Replacement Cabin Air Filter: Automotive
Old 07-18-2013, 09:37 AM

Originally Posted by Dexterity
yea. I am searching on amazon and it seems like most of them are 2 pieces.
do you know if this is any good Amazon.com: TYC 800114C2 Nissan/Infiniti Replacement Cabin Air Filter: Automotive
I have never used that brand of filter so I can't say anything about it.

What strikes me is that I think TYC is the brand of the heater blower motor I bought about 2 years ago.
Old 07-18-2013, 10:24 AM

since I had my car I used 2 different brands of filters and never noticed any difference.
Old 07-18-2013, 11:07 AM

got mine here:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/CABIN-AIR-FILTER-2-PC-SET-Maxima-I30-I35-2000-2003-/190557325142?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item2c5e1a0756
They are pretty good quality and the seller has high ratings
Old 07-18-2013, 11:07 AM

Air Cabin Filter: Get these. I have them as well as a bunch of other guys on the board and they rock. Carbon filters at a great price and when I buy them, I get them from this seller: http://www.ebay.com/itm/CABIN-AIR-FILTER-2-PC-SET-Maxima-I30-I35-2000-2003-/190557325142?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Model%3AMaxima&hash=item2c5e1a0756&vxp=mtr
Old 07-18-2013, 11:17 AM

^ Must be good. Two recommends in the same minute.
Old 07-18-2013, 11:58 AM

lol nice I forgot all about ebay :P yea I will decide between the ebay one or the amazon one

thanks a bunch guys
Old 07-18-2013, 12:28 PM
Get Off My Lawn

Originally Posted by djipka
got mine here:
Cabin Air Filter 2 PC Set Maxima I30 I35 2000 2003 | eBay

They are pretty good quality and the seller has high ratings
I have bought from this ebay'er as well. No problems.
Old 07-18-2013, 12:45 PM
B!tch We Got a Problem

Ordered items from e-bayer in the past (trusted), just ordered a set of cabin filters from him
Old 07-18-2013, 01:45 PM

Me too. I used those filters in my 01
Old 07-18-2013, 06:32 PM

I went to check mine n seen someone took em out n never replaced them. explains why it blows so hard!
Old 07-18-2013, 07:06 PM

I just replaced mine. I bought it at rockauto.com. I got the WIX carbon filter #24823 and paid $28 including shipping. It brings 2 filters that replace the one OEM.
Old 07-18-2013, 08:50 PM
Get Off My Lawn

Originally Posted by TravisCadello
I went to check mine n seen someone took em out n never replaced them. explains why it blows so hard!
I had thought the 00-01 did not have the cabin filters from the factory.
Old 07-18-2013, 09:15 PM

Originally Posted by Chris Gregg
I have bought from this ebay'er as well. No problems.
Me too and just got some for the Cam Bam also, Toyota wanted 60bucks like WTF...
Old 07-18-2013, 09:17 PM

If anyone needs a tutorial....

Old 07-19-2013, 01:24 AM

They do. My 01 does. I replaced the filter myself.
Even the video above shows 00 Maxima that has it.
Old 07-19-2013, 02:15 AM

hey i changed my filter a couple months ago and i used that tyc one from amazon it fit perfectly i paid 18 i guess they jacked the price up? ebay always cheaper tho in most cases but i wouldnt be scared to buy another one of those cabin filters i compared the two actually i have pics i think but i may have lost them
Old 07-19-2013, 09:37 AM

Originally Posted by tosheto
They do. My 01 does. I replaced the filter myself.
Even the video above shows 00 Maxima that has it.
I guess they must have started somewhere during the 00 production run. My 00 is early production (05/99) and it did not have filters installed. The space is there, but they left it empty.
Old 07-19-2013, 09:50 AM

I guess they must have started somewhere during the 00 production run. My 00 is early production (05/99) and it did not have filters installed. The space is there, but they left it empty.
Mayb previous owner installed them.
Old 07-19-2013, 12:36 PM

Originally Posted by DjHackStyle
Mayb previous owner installed them.
Maybe the previous owner uninstalled the original one and never installed new one. Weight reduction.
Old 07-23-2013, 04:40 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Went to change the Cabin Air Filter after picking up a Purolator at O'Reilly's yesterday. Followed the video (Oh, by the way, THANKS for posting the video. Very helpful) and found NO FILTERS in the space behind the glove box. I bought this car brand new in 99. I called the dealership to ask why...They told me the filters were not produced until mid year 2000. So, no filters were added to the early production. THANKS FOR THE HEADS-UP NISSAN!
Old 07-25-2013, 12:55 PM

i replaced mine the first day i had my car a few months back. i bought the FRAM with Febreeze ones at my local auto store and they fit well, didn't know about the carbon ones or i would of gone with those. maybe next year.
Old 07-25-2013, 04:45 PM

Thanks for the ebay link.
I just bought them. I'm sure my maxima has never had them changed.

Love u maxima.org
Old 07-25-2013, 07:18 PM
Maxima.org Sponsor and Donating Maxima.org Member

I use Wix cabin filters and change them each spring...Wix might be a little more expensive than some of the others, but the quality seems good. They're also advertised as containing "bioshield 75" which is supposed to retard the growth of mold and bacteria and other crud.
Old 07-25-2013, 11:58 PM

Two things: Funny, just as I was wondering where the filter(s) were located, I saw Rod's post! So thank you Rod!

Secondly, I was driving the other day and my wife turned on the a/c. Almost instantly a leaf goes flying into the cabin?! WTF? I forgot to check and this thread reminded me. I wonder if I have missing filters? Anyone else?

I'll check this weekend, but I just thought it was kind of funny!
Old 07-26-2013, 09:10 AM

I don't understand how that could happen. The air flow is outside air, through cabin air filter, through air conditioner evaporator coil to air ducts. The a/c evaporator coil should block any leaves.

Was the leaf small enough that it could have came in though the door when you were getting in or out, landed on the dash and fell down through the defroster ducts?
Old 07-26-2013, 11:37 AM

I don't understand how that could happen. The air flow is outside air, through cabin air filter, through air conditioner evaporator coil to air ducts. The a/c evaporator coil should block any leaves.

Was the leaf small enough that it could have came in though the door when you were getting in or out, landed on the dash and fell down through the defroster ducts?
No, It didn't come in when we got it. I actually saw it get stuck on the left side vent of the center two vents, first. It kind of wiggled around then shot out of that vent. I would have a hard time thinking it would land anywhere in the cabin considering we live a main road here and there are no trees within distance of us. But anything is possible I guess.
Old 07-26-2013, 12:36 PM
Get Off My Lawn

This is VERY possible. I've had it happen several times. The A/C and heater coils are wide enough apart, that a leaf (typically for me is dead and incomplete/broken) can pass through when the fan is turned on or up. Especially if the filter is missing OR the filter (like the one I found in my 2003) has deteriorated/destroyed.....there is a high chance of something getting through.

I've seen guys have to remove their fan motors just to clean out the leaves and plant debri that has accumulated. I think of it kind of like when a tornado picks up a single blade of grass and sends it through a telephone pole. If a leaf gets caught up in the airflow of the fan, especially when the leaf is dry and relatively flat, it will pass right through the coil. Or, sometimes areas that are not flat just get cut off as the leaf passes through.
Old 07-26-2013, 01:47 PM

This is VERY possible. I've had it happen several times. The A/C and heater coils are wide enough apart, that a leaf (typically for me is dead and incomplete/broken) can pass through when the fan is turned on or up. Especially if the filter is missing OR the filter (like the one I found in my 2003) has deteriorated/destroyed.....there is a high chance of something getting through.

I've seen guys have to remove their fan motors just to clean out the leaves and plant debri that has accumulated. I think of it kind of like when a tornado picks up a single blade of grass and sends it through a telephone pole. If a leaf gets caught up in the airflow of the fan, especially when the leaf is dry and relatively flat, it will pass right through the coil. Or, sometimes areas that are not flat just get cut off as the leaf passes through.
Good to know. I'm just a little confused. The guy we bought this car from (with 59k miles) absolutely babied this car. It was garage kept for the last few years and every fluid and filter was changed, receipts to prove. And yes, it was one these smaller (size of a penny) sized leaves.

I'm just wondering if perhaps the cabin filter was forgotten by the person supposed to do it or something? IDK, I'll know this weekend. Thanks though Chris.
Old 07-27-2013, 08:24 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

As I posted earlier, I placed (not replaced) cabin filters in my 2000 maxima a few days ago. My daughter says the airflow on the drvers side vent is very low. Since its the farthest from the blower, is the filters reducing the flow and causing this?
Old 07-27-2013, 08:30 AM

Originally Posted by cashman35173
As I posted earlier, I placed (not replaced) cabin filters in my 2000 maxima a few days ago. My daughter says the airflow on the drvers side vent is very low. Since its the farthest from the blower, is the filters reducing the flow and causing this?
If there was no filter and you added one, sure it would decrease flow some.
Old 07-27-2013, 02:39 PM
Maxima.org Sponsor and Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by cashman35173
The filter will provide some restriction, but not much (particularly when it's clean/new). Restriction would affect all vents, not just the one on the left.

Check that the vent control isn't partially closed...otherwise, to troubleshoot, recommend you remove the filters and see if it makes a difference.

Last edited by talkinghorse; 07-28-2013 at 08:20 AM.
Old 07-29-2013, 08:59 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by talkinghorse
The filter will provide some restriction, but not much (particularly when it's clean/new). Restriction would affect all vents, not just the one on the left.

Check that the vent control isn't partially closed...otherwise, to troubleshoot, recommend you remove the filters and see if it makes a difference.
Did as you recommended and it was the filters. Just told her to close the passenger side vents and it will allow more air to the vent in question and I hope it will keep her boyfriend out of the car as a bonus!....LOL
Thanks guys!
Old 07-29-2013, 03:53 PM

On the other hand most cars don't come with filters so is filtered air really
worth less air?

I did mine today and somebody took them out. My friends said the maxima blew really
cold air before the filters
Old 07-29-2013, 04:26 PM

Originally Posted by Donkeypunch
On the other hand most cars don't come with filters so is filtered air really
worth less air?

I did mine today and somebody took them out. My friends said the maxima blew really
cold air before the filters
You know, that's a really good point. I think I'm going to check mine for sure and remove them if they are there. What's the worst that you could do without them? Breathe air you do when you're outside of the car?
Old 07-29-2013, 07:46 PM

Originally Posted by TexasTex
You know, that's a really good point. I think I'm going to check mine for sure and remove them if they are there. What's the worst that you could do without them? Breathe air you do when you're outside of the car?
You'll appreciate the carbon filters when following diesel vehicles. It will also block some of the pollen from entering the car.
Old 07-29-2013, 08:20 PM
Get Off My Lawn

The filters also help protect the coil from dust and debri, which reduces efficiency, just like in a home.

Finally got around to locating the thread I recalled regarding the filters. It wasn't that earlier models did or didn't have them, just that in-cabin filters were appearently an option. Some had them, some not. There is some nice info about cleaning the coils here as well.

https://maxima.org/showthread.php?t=...abin+filter%3F
Old 07-29-2013, 09:36 PM

Originally Posted by TallTom
You'll appreciate the carbon filters when following diesel vehicles. It will also block some of the pollen from entering the car.
Okay, I'm keeping it in. Excellent point.

The filters also help protect the coil from dust and debri, which reduces efficiency, just like in a home.

Finally got around to locating the thread I recalled regarding the filters. It wasn't that earlier models did or didn't have them, just that in-cabin filters were appearently an option. Some had them, some not. There is some nice info about cleaning the coils here as well.

https://maxima.org/showthread.php?t=...abin+filter%3F
Good thread. I'm going to clean mine with that spray when I get in there.

Quick Reply: cabin air filter