5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Help, is mechanic ripping me off?

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2013, 09:26 PM

Help, is mechanic ripping me off?

Ok so someone help a girl out!!! My 03 maxima started to shake I guess when idle. Mechanic says need relocate spark plugs and that my #3 cylinder went out. Parts and labor he quoted $250. Is that about right or am I getting taken. Please someone help me out, I would like to take to mechanic tomorrow if this price is normal.
Old 06-27-2013, 09:41 PM
Bad *** Newb

You have to be specific and correct with your wording b/c there's no such thing as what you described.

You probably have a bad coil pack, if anything. Take it to a parts store and get the code scanned.

And yes, you're likely going to get fleeced.
Old 06-27-2013, 09:59 PM

+1 on getting the code read. It's likely an ignition coil not a plug which is a common repair with these cars. Knowing which one is very important because the three at the front of the engine are easily accessible and a simple DIY project. The three in the back are not accessible without taking the intake manifold off. Still a DIY project depending on your skill-set. When replacing remember to buy OEM.
Old 06-27-2013, 10:29 PM

I dl'd an app that gave competitive costs for repair depending on your area it's called repairpal. Seemed like a handy reference tool.

Hope that helps!
Old 06-28-2013, 05:33 AM

Originally Posted by ConCon
Ok so someone help a girl out!!! My 03 maxima started to shake I guess when idle. Mechanic says need relocate spark plugs and that my #3 cylinder went out. Parts and labor he quoted $250. Is that about right or am I getting taken. Please someone help me out, I would like to take to mechanic tomorrow if this price is normal.
...It sounds like the mechanic going to replace all of the spark plugs and the ignition coil on #3 cylinder for $250 bucks including parts and labor. No way, that's too cheap, unless the guy has a used coil laying around.
Old 06-28-2013, 05:55 AM

From what you described, my best guess is you have a misfire and your #3 cylinder coil is bad. $250 is not just a ripoff, it's a raping if you ask me and I would laugh at the guy and leave there immediately.

Go to any parts store like AutoZone/Advanced (if you have to, or have it done anywhere else) and get the code pulled for free, once you have that we'll be able to tell you the EXACT problem you have.

But most likely it's just a misfire and one coil, which is a really easy job that usually takes like 10-30min depending on your skill set. $250 is so ridiculous that you can buy a set of ALL SIX coils for that much, plus have the job done and pay for labor, AND probably replace your spark plugs to boot all for $250.

If it's just one coil misfiring and you replace just one, RUN from any mechanic that quotes you anything above $50 to do this (part + labor). I've charged my mechanically challenged friends $20 for changing all coils.
Old 06-28-2013, 06:26 AM

^^? Where do you find a mechanic to remove the intake to replace the #3 coil for $50 including parts and labour? The coil itself is at least $50.
Old 06-28-2013, 07:19 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by D.Stillwell
From what you described, my best guess is you have a misfire and your #3 cylinder coil is bad. $250 is not just a ripoff, it's a raping if you ask me and I would laugh at the guy and leave there immediately.

Go to any parts store like AutoZone/Advanced (if you have to, or have it done anywhere else) and get the code pulled for free, once you have that we'll be able to tell you the EXACT problem you have.

But most likely it's just a misfire and one coil, which is a really easy job that usually takes like 10-30min depending on your skill set. $250 is so ridiculous that you can buy a set of ALL SIX coils for that much, plus have the job done and pay for labor, AND probably replace your spark plugs to boot all for $250.

If it's just one coil misfiring and you replace just one, RUN from any mechanic that quotes you anything above $50 to do this (part + labor). I've charged my mechanically challenged friends $20 for changing all coils.
She has an 03. You have an 00. The intake manifold covers #3 on the 03 but not on the 00.

The coilpack is around 75 IIRC but maybe someone sells for 50.

Add in diagnosis time and pulling the manifold and 250 is probably what you are going to expect from a shop.

Not everyone can work on their own car.

However, OP, I would definitely suggest that you pull the code to find out which cylinder it is. Mechanic could be fibbing about which cylinder it is.

BUT for some reason, it seems it has always been cylinder 3 that has gone out on my 96 and 00.
Old 06-28-2013, 08:36 AM

$250 for that coil replacement is not HORRIBLE. Although, I thought our coils were $120+
Old 06-28-2013, 08:40 AM

"relocate spark plugs"?
Old 06-28-2013, 09:00 AM

any mechanic that tells you the spark plugs need to be relocated, you should tell him to go ahead and relocate those spark plugs up his youknowwhat
Old 06-28-2013, 09:26 AM

It is possible he said change plugs and relocate coil for easier access in the future. She may have misunderstood....hey it is possible.
Old 06-28-2013, 09:36 AM

I guess he said "replace" spark plugs.......she typed "relocate" spark plugs....now we all go crazy.
Old 06-28-2013, 10:34 AM

250 isn't that bad considering the shop would probley charge 2 hours if not more just to take off the manifold.
Old 06-28-2013, 01:52 PM
Bad *** Newb

Originally Posted by Product_Of_Korea
250 isn't that bad considering the shop would probley charge 2 hours if not more just to take off the manifold.
I still can't wrap my head around the time it takes people for a 10 minute job.

OP: Location? Maybe someone local would give you a hand?
Old 06-28-2013, 01:55 PM

^ mechanics around me usually go by the book time....rounded up to nearest half hour.
Old 06-28-2013, 03:42 PM

If its just the coil pack diy took me 5 mins at the most.
Old 06-28-2013, 03:49 PM

Her coil is under the car intake manifold. First time I removed mine and did plugs it was a few hours at least.
Old 06-28-2013, 04:03 PM

Yeah didn't realize it was a 5.5 gen. Way easier job obviously on the 5th gens, still an easy job on the vq35 but yeah. I guess I can see why some places charge so much more to do the job on the 5.5

And the $50 I was talking about is if you were to replace just that ONE coil that was misfiring. I know all the coils cost way more. And labor to do just one, but again I was talking all about 5th gen.
Plus the cylinder # changes things hugely, #3 definitely sucks the front would have been a breeze.

Originally Posted by Child_uv_KoRn

Ohhh yeahhh, someone local would surely give you a hand alright... WINK WINK
Old 06-28-2013, 04:42 PM

Originally Posted by 2damax
Her coil is under the car intake manifold. First time I removed mine and did plugs it was a few hours at least.
The #3 coilpack is in the front far left.
Old 06-28-2013, 04:48 PM

Originally Posted by cmd26
The #3 coilpack is in the front far left.
Say what??? You need to go look at the FSM my friend...
Old 06-28-2013, 04:50 PM
Da Roller Coaster!

Wow...so much misinformation in this thread.

First of all..as others have said it is likely an ignition coil pack as those have a tendency to be problematic. Second, follow the advice of getting any engine codes read (we are all assuming you have a check engine light on?). You may not even have a check engine light on. If you don't then it will be harder to find the bad ignition coil pack. If you have the light cross your fingers it gives you the specific cylinder of the misfire. If it does then you only need to replace the ignition coil pack for that cylinder to solve your problem.

If the ignition coil pack is on the front of the engine then it is a very easy replacement. If it is on the back, then it is a bit of a chore as you have to remove the intake manifold. The front is a 10 minutes job, the back in a couple hours depending on the skill level.

So...if it is the #3 cylinder the quote is quite reasonable. Just make sure the mechanic replaces the ignition coil pack with OEM. Anything aftermarket will not last and cause you more trouble over the long run.
Old 06-28-2013, 04:59 PM

Originally Posted by foodmanry
Wow...so much misinformation in this thread.

First of all..as others have said it is likely an ignition coil pack as those have a tendency to be problematic. Second, follow the advice of getting any engine codes read (we are all assuming you have a check engine light on?). You may not even have a check engine light on. If you don't then it will be harder to find the bad ignition coil pack. If you have the light cross your fingers it gives you the specific cylinder of the misfire. If it does then you only need to replace the ignition coil pack for that cylinder to solve your problem.

If the ignition coil pack is on the front of the engine then it is a very easy replacement. If it is on the back, then it is a bit of a chore as you have to remove the intake manifold. The front is a 10 minutes job, the back in a couple hours depending on the skill level.

So...if it is the #3 cylinder the quote is quite reasonable. Just make sure the mechanic replaces the ignition coil pack with OEM. Anything aftermarket will not last and cause you more trouble over the long run.
BWD worked fine in my 03 its been 2 yrs no problem.

Originally Posted by Trini Boom
Say what??? You need to go look at the FSM my friend...
I could be wrong but I know i changed a front coil it was easy.

Last edited by NmexMAX; 07-02-2013 at 06:58 AM.
Old 06-28-2013, 05:29 PM

I could be wrong but I know i changed a front coil it was easy.
Wrong info again. #3 is middle of the bank of cylinders facing the firewall.
Old 06-28-2013, 05:44 PM

$250....6 NGK'S$70, 1 coilpack$90ish,$90 labor....could have a case for the tec.
Old 06-28-2013, 06:35 PM

when the mechanic said he is going to relocated plugs, he was probably trying to diagnosing a problem before he went and threw parts at the car. It is a comon way to trouble shoot a misfire. Some of you guys who don't even know how to open a hood should stop giving advice.

I just wanted to touch up a bit on this procedure so others would understand what he is trying to do. Say you have a misfire on #2 cylinder (I will use #2 as it is in the front and easy to get to on the 3.5). You allready know that a misfire is at cylinder 2 but there are a few things that can cuase a misfire at an individual cylinder. It can a coil pack, spark plug, injector or mechanic problem as in bad rings etc. To keep it simpler, lets say we know it is not a fuel delivey problem. Now, we can just throw parts or hook up expensive c\scanners but the easiest way to diagnose which problem of the three it is, is to relocate the spark plug to cylinder 4 and ignition coil to cylinder 6. Start the car and see if/where the misfire occurs now. Now, if the misfire still stays at #2, then it has to be a mechanic problem, if it moved to #4 then it has to be a spark plug and if it moved to #6 it is an ignition coil.

Granted is it much more difficult when dealing with bank 1 on the 3.5, but if you don't want to spend extra money on parts, you can basically do the same thing except relocate everything to the front bank and therefore won't have to take out the intake manifold when the misfire follows the problem, unless you have a mechanical problem in which case you have a bigger problem than the wasted time r&r the intake manifold.

As to the op, $250 is not a bad price, depending of course if the parts and brand new and if that includes new spark plugs.

G/L
Old 06-29-2013, 07:52 AM

There should be a code telling what cylinder is mis-firing. Even if the SES light isn't on, the code could still be there in Pending status.

Bring it to AutoZone/Advance Auto and ask them to read your code.
Old 06-29-2013, 08:11 AM

Originally Posted by nsnrider
when the mechanic said he is going to relocated plugs, he was probably trying to diagnosing a problem before he went and threw parts at the car. It is a comon way to trouble shoot a misfire. Some of you guys who don't even know how to open a hood should stop giving advice.
I've never heard of relocating spark plugs for a misfire... coil packs, yes, spark plugs, no, they're cheap, just replace her #3 if there's any question about it. Also, given the higher labor on the 3.5L, might just be more cost effective to just change the plug and coil pack and be done, rather take 2 hours to remove intake and swap parts, drive it around, then remove intake again and swap/replace. If the OP is being told $250 just to "relocate" for troubleshooting, then she needs to know that's just the amount for half the job, not the eventual replace, hence if it were me, I'd probably just tell them fix #3 and we'll go from there. Note too that the OP didn't even mention coil packs at all, so we aren't 100% sure what they were going to do for that price.
Old 06-29-2013, 01:55 PM

So I was just reading this thread and it really made me
I mean, all the misinformation, the bad advice.

Bust most of all, the fact that the OP hasn't been here since the first post.
Old 06-29-2013, 03:08 PM

Relocation of spark plugs is a indicative sign of a scumbag mechanic.
Old 06-29-2013, 03:08 PM

Originally Posted by D.Stillwell
So I was just reading this thread and it really made me
I mean, all the misinformation, the bad advice.

Bust most of all, the fact that the OP hasn't been here since the first post.
Great contribution.
Old 06-29-2013, 03:14 PM

I know right. To take my vi off my 98 literally takes me minutes. I did the plugs in my 02 and it took me a half a hour taking my sweet a$$ time. But mechanics need to make money somehow. So they will go by the book times.
Old 06-29-2013, 03:35 PM

Clarifying

Ok thanks you all so so so much you have all been helpful even with my misinformation. mechanic talks and it like the teacher from the Peanuts voice fills my head because basically speaking another language. So here it is...

It turns out it is 2 coils and yes they are in the back by or on whatever the intake and apparently there are some sort of gaskets on the intake i think well there is something wrong with them and they are cause oil to leak into the gaskets (sound right)? So i'm told 2 coils (back ones so yes had to remove something so not really a DIY not that if it was I could) and the spark plugs and the gaskets so he is saying $500-$600?????? :co nfused:

Oh and it was replace not relocate, I was on my cell phone and apparently auto correct, corrected my typing to relocate but yes replacing spark plugs, #3 coil and one other I forget which but #3 is in the back. he did do the code scan and showed it to me and I also looked up the code on the display like someone suggested.

Last edited by ConCon; 06-29-2013 at 03:44 PM.
Old 06-29-2013, 03:55 PM
RR5

Simply get the estimate in writing. Then do a little research based on the estimate. Then call up another shop and ask about an estimate for similar work. Use the research to throw out a few terms to give the impression you know what's going on.

-edit Look for a how to on spark plug changing. It'll show how to remove the upper intake collector so you can pull the ignition coils. It's really not all that difficult, just takes a while the first time. You can inspect the coils yourself. Also in my signature look at the FSM. You want EM.pdf.

Don't let people tell you what to do. Look at the how to, go look at your car then you'll be able to identify parts by name. Next follow the steps without doing anything, just make sure you know where everything is. You can always post here for help if things become a problem.

Last edited by RR5; 06-29-2013 at 04:05 PM.
Old 06-29-2013, 04:49 PM

Originally Posted by Boslax6123
I dl'd an app that gave competitive costs for repair depending on your area it's called repairpal. Seemed like a handy reference tool.

Hope that helps!

Thanks this app was very helpful!

Los Angeles, no one to help out so I rely on male co-workers who know cars, internet, now this forum and others who have had same problems.

But it was #3 coil and it is located on the back not the front (mechanic did show me where on my car and the codes from the scanner which I looked up online)

Last edited by NmexMAX; 07-02-2013 at 06:59 AM.
Old 06-29-2013, 05:12 PM

Originally Posted by ConCon
Ok thanks you all so so so much you have all been helpful even with my misinformation. mechanic talks and it like the teacher from the Peanuts voice fills my head because basically speaking another language. So here it is...

It turns out it is 2 coils and yes they are in the back by or on whatever the intake and apparently there are some sort of gaskets on the intake i think well there is something wrong with them and they are cause oil to leak into the gaskets (sound right)? So i'm told 2 coils (back ones so yes had to remove something so not really a DIY not that if it was I could) and the spark plugs and the gaskets so he is saying $500-$600?????? :co nfused:

Oh and it was replace not relocate, I was on my cell phone and apparently auto correct, corrected my typing to relocate but yes replacing spark plugs, #3 coil and one other I forget which but #3 is in the back. he did do the code scan and showed it to me and I also looked up the code on the display like someone suggested.
WAIT. ...WAIT...PAUSE...IS THIS A PRANK!....imean i quote""and apparently there are some sort of gaskets on the intake i think well there is something wrong with them and they are cause oil to leak into the gaskets (sound right)? So i'm told 2 coils (back ones so yes had to remove something so not really a DIY not that if it was I could) and the spark plugs and the gaskets so he is saying $500-$600?????? :co nfused::confused...........:""means you need vc gaskets ,...op..listen you must have oil in your spark plug well,that's what caused your coil pack to fail Or two in your case...if you're only changing two coils$140 (vc)valve cover$55 and intake$30 gaskets + Labor...its around $300 'cheap'...with the right parts...and if you could diy + a case of beer'...you choice,! in which case ,estimated time of completion 2+ hrs...could save you around $21.99........
.....Even better you have the code and only need one coil..deduct $70 from makeshift equation above....

Last edited by nestorlugo; 06-29-2013 at 05:17 PM.
Old 06-29-2013, 05:19 PM

Dude the OP has stated she cannot do the work. The mechanic is charging about 2 houra labor plus the markup on the part. The pricing is a little high but that is to be expecting in LA.
Old 06-29-2013, 07:14 PM

yea she obviously needs 2 rear coils replaced and the rear valve cover replaced because its leaking oil into the spark plug tubes. and obviously all 6 spark plugs because you already there and then the gasket for the intake manifold. each coil is about $100 from courtesyparts.com OEM so thats $200 plus $70 for the spark plugs thats $270 plus rear valve cover and its gasket is $40 so thats $310 plus the intake manifold gasket thats hes going to reuse but charge you anyway is $40 so thats $350 plus he wants at least $150 to do all this so thats about $500 yup it is what it is
Old 06-29-2013, 08:49 PM

You might as well change the rear valve cover to an 04 while your there. 5.5 gens are prone to leaks.
Old 06-30-2013, 02:37 PM
Da Roller Coaster!

BWD worked fine in my 03 its been 2 yrs no problem.
Good for you...others have not been so lucky when it comes to aftermarket ignition coil packs.

Quick Reply: Help, is mechanic ripping me off?