5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Help I wanted to change my belts

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2013, 04:32 PM

Help I wanted to change my belts

Help I wanted to change my belts on my 2000 Maxima SE Auto 156k this evening.
I jacked the car up , removed the side panel, used a 14mm wrench on the idler pulley nut-counter clock wise loosen it up, a fare amount, felt the washer on the pulley was loose. From the top of the engine started to turn counter clock on the adj. nut about ½ a turn very hard to move, went clock back & about a turn or so nothing. No movement with the pulley. Started the car up, let ran with the idler pulley finger tight. Loosen the nut on the idler pulley, still no movement. Turned the adj net more counter clocke still hard. Also tapped the bottom of the idler pulley with a hammer. Tuner the adj. nut a little more counter clock & it broke off. But the belt is still tight. Tighten the idler pulley nut again & started the car up & it runs fine. With the factory cracked belts on it

How do I loosen the idler pulley up ? And I guess how do I replace the shaft ?

Thanks

Last edited by CTMaximaSE; 05-09-2013 at 04:36 PM.
Old 05-09-2013, 05:05 PM

After i loosen both nuts sometimes i need to tap on the bottom of the idler pulley get it to loosen up and allow for adjustment.

Name:  Belt.jpg
Views: 1282
Size:  261.4 KB
Old 05-10-2013, 06:07 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I can't recall for certain but think that if you take off the pulley, the adjustment assembly will come off. Maybe our nissan tech above can tell you if that is the case.

My suggestion would be to pick up a new bolt (that's probably what broke), cut the belts off, take off the pulley and I think you can get the entire assembly off, then replace the bolt, and put the assembly back together.

Make sure you remember the orientation of the assembly, as I recall, it is hard to tell which way it goes back but only one way works.

As for the power steering belt. Don't even bother with that stupid *&^%ing adjustment assembly. Put the belt on the ps pulley and partially on the crank pulley. Put a ratchet on the crank pulley and turn it while at the same time working the belt onto the crank pulley. It is FAR EASIER to do that than to mess with that horrible *&^%ing adjustment system.

Last edited by Max_Gator; 05-10-2013 at 06:09 AM.
Old 06-02-2013, 06:46 PM

Originally Posted by CTMaximaSE
Help I wanted to change my belts on my 2000 Maxima SE Auto 156k this evening.
I jacked the car up , removed the side panel, used a 14mm wrench on the idler pulley nut-counter clock wise loosen it up, a fare amount, felt the washer on the pulley was loose. From the top of the engine started to turn counter clock on the adj. nut about ½ a turn very hard to move, went clock back & about a turn or so nothing. No movement with the pulley. Started the car up, let ran with the idler pulley finger tight. Loosen the nut on the idler pulley, still no movement. Turned the adj net more counter clocke still hard. Also tapped the bottom of the idler pulley with a hammer. Tuner the adj. nut a little more counter clock & it broke off. But the belt is still tight. Tighten the idler pulley nut again & started the car up & it runs fine. With the factory cracked belts on it

How do I loosen the idler pulley up ? And I guess how do I replace the shaft ?

Thanks

Ended up buying a new / complete idle pulley from the dealer. Nissan has redesigned theback of thebold that slides up & down on the bracket.
Old 06-02-2013, 06:47 PM

Originally Posted by a33nismo
After i loosen both nuts sometimes i need to tap on the bottom of the idler pulley get it to loosen up and allow for adjustment.

Thanks !
Old 06-03-2013, 10:30 PM

If that ones givin you trouble wait for p/s belt! that ones a pita!!! well mine was cause car is a Rust bucket from louisiana!

My alt belt was easy but did have issues loosening i removed entire assembly and applied Anti-seize to adjuster bolt. As for p/s i gave up n paid a Friend n i never give up!!!!! next time ill remove entire pump and replace it and tensioner pump looked like a ball of rust.
Old 06-04-2013, 07:14 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by TravisCadello
If that ones givin you trouble wait for p/s belt! that ones a pita!!! well mine was cause car is a Rust bucket from louisiana!

My alt belt was easy but did have issues loosening i removed entire assembly and applied Anti-seize to adjuster bolt. As for p/s i gave up n paid a Friend n i never give up!!!!! next time ill remove entire pump and replace it and tensioner pump looked like a ball of rust.
To change the PS belt:

- cut off old belt
- put new belt on ps pulley
- put as much of the belt on crank pulley as possible.
- use a ratchet on the crank pulley - I think it is 19 mm - to turn the crank pulley.
- work the belt onto the crank pulley while turning the crank pulley.

Screw that ps adjustment system.