5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

New engine...so lucky

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2013, 09:09 AM

New engine...so lucky

SO AFTER ABOUT A MONTH OF SEARCHING I'VE FOUND AN ENGINE WITH 60,00 which comes with everything FOR $600. The engine is out of an 05 auto which I'm putting into my 02 SE 6sp. I want to do everything right the first time with the new engine while its out what should I look into changing with 60k on it. I have a new water pump with about 3k on it inside of the old motor. should I swap the two out or should I replace the pump with a brand new one. Also with the old engine the rod cracked the upper oil pan. from research I understand the upper oil pan needs to be swapped over but never understood why. Anyone who wants to give insight on this project I would surely take it.
Old 04-07-2013, 10:34 AM

Open the timing cover up and inspect/replace tensioners, guides or chains themselves.. I wish I did mine with the motor out of the car.
Old 04-07-2013, 10:42 AM
Banned

Did you run the car fax on it and then run the vin to see if the timing chan tsb was done?
Old 04-07-2013, 11:01 AM

Originally Posted by VQMagic
Open the timing cover up and inspect/replace tensioners, guides or chains themselves.. I wish I did mine with the motor out of the car.
My mechanic for 4years now told me that the tensioners of of my old engine are a lot more durable than the tensioners in the 05 3.5L. should I swap or buy new?

If not I can't just do it myself right?

Last edited by NmexMAX; 04-08-2013 at 07:18 PM.
Old 04-07-2013, 11:09 AM

Originally Posted by iflexsteel
My mechanic for 4years now told me that the tensioners of of my old engine are a lot more durable than the tensioners in the 05 3.5L. should I swap or buy new?
Just buy new parts. Don't cheap out on timing components or you might find yourself motor shopping again.
Old 04-07-2013, 11:12 AM
Banned

there is a whole kit look in the 6th gen section for it I think I paid $68 plus $45 for the tool listed in the Nissan TSB for the tensioner replacement
Old 04-07-2013, 11:27 AM

OP if you want I have two brand new secondary OEM chains along with two brand new oem secondary tensioners. Just sitting in a draw. PM me if you'd like them. All you would need is the guides, main chain(the long one) and tensioners for the main.
Old 04-07-2013, 12:49 PM

While its out do everything you can within your budget. Smart mech if he knows that about Nissan engines
Old 04-07-2013, 03:05 PM
L36

Swap upper oil pan from your old engine and do tensioners. Get the water pump while at it. Should be set. If you do change the tensioners, make sure to prime the tensioners with oil by pulling spark plugs out and cranking the engine until oil pressure builds up. I did not do that step when i changed my tensioners on my 04 and i skipped time by 1 tooth on bank 1.

Last edited by L36; 04-07-2013 at 03:08 PM.
Old 04-08-2013, 07:02 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I would suggest doing ARP rod bolts while at it
Old 04-08-2013, 07:17 AM
dot dot dot ...

Originally Posted by nishfish871
I would suggest doing ARP rod bolts while at it
Rod bolts are pretty easy from underneath, and would only add more work to the current job. And not worth it unless he's going to rev past 7200 RPM.

My mechanic for 4years now told me that the tensioners of of my old engine are a lot more durable than the tensioners in the 05 3.5L.
Smart guy.

Originally Posted by cjandura
there is a whole kit look in the 6th gen section for it I think I paid $68 plus $45 for the tool listed in the Nissan TSB for the tensioner replacement
This.
Old 04-08-2013, 03:30 PM

Originally Posted by cjandura
yeah think i just might get them replaced

Originally Posted by L36
Swap upper oil pan from your old engine and do tensioners. Get the water pump while at it. Should be set. If you do change the tensioners, make sure to prime the tensioners with oil by pulling spark plugs out and cranking the engine until oil pressure builds up. I did not do that step when i changed my tensioners on my 04 and i skipped time by 1 tooth on bank 1.
what happened after it jumped my one???

Originally Posted by VQMagic
OP if you want I have two brand new secondary OEM chains along with two brand new oem secondary tensioners. Just sitting in a draw. PM me if you'd like them. All you would need is the guides, main chain(the long one) and tensioners for the main.
I have an uncle who works for nissan and can get stuff for dirt cheap. would have gotten a brand new vq35de for 4k. not in my budget. but thanks

Originally Posted by L36

Still don't know why the oil pan needs to be swapped. can someone tell me. i would have to buy a new one anyway. the rod blew a hold in the pan. unless a machine shop can fix it

Last edited by NmexMAX; 04-08-2013 at 07:17 PM.
Old 04-08-2013, 03:41 PM
Banned

Trans fitment and sensor location
Old 04-08-2013, 09:38 PM
L36

what happened after it jumped my one???
P0011 code and car would run poorly. 1 tooth is not enough to bend the valves.
Old 04-10-2013, 08:18 PM

SO AFTER ABOUT A MONTH OF SEARCHING I'VE FOUND AN ENGINE WITH 60,00 which comes with everything FOR $600. The engine is out of an 05 auto which I'm putting into my 02 SE 6sp. I want to do everything right the first time with the new engine while its out what should I look into changing with 60k on it. I have a new water pump with about 3k on it inside of the old motor. should I swap the two out or should I replace the pump with a brand new one. Also with the old engine the rod cracked the upper oil pan. from research I understand the upper oil pan needs to be swapped over but never understood why. Anyone who wants to give insight on this project I would surely take it.
Yes, I did the swap myself not too long ago.. The only thing I notices different between the oil pans was that, inside of the pan there is a metal screen with a bunch of tiny little screws. I believe this is to help distribute the oil or sumthing. The screen from the auto and manual were slightly different. I read several threads like you did and just swaped the pans anyways to be safe. I think I switch screens to get clearance, or I might of just completely removed it, can't quite remember but you will see what I mean when you get there. It doesn't seem important..

Also there are two orange O rings on the bottom of the upper oil pan you should replace, I didn't replace mine since they looked good but it might be a good idea.
Old 04-11-2013, 03:30 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

do evverything you can with the engine out the car
Old 04-13-2013, 06:08 PM

Originally Posted by MaxinO2
Quote:

Yes, I did the swap myself not too long ago.. The only thing I notices different between the oil pans was that, inside of the pan there is a metal screen with a bunch of tiny little screws. I believe this is to help distribute the oil or sumthing. The screen from the auto and manual were slightly different. I read several threads like you did and just swaped the pans anyways to be safe. I think I switch screens to get clearancbe, or I might of just completely removed it, can't quite remember but you will see what I mean when you get there. It doesn't seem important..

Also there are two orange O rings on the bottom of the upper oil pan you should replace, I didn't replace mine since they looked good but it might be a good idea.

but what about the crank sensors that's between the engine and trans. u didn't have an issue

Posted from Maxima.org App for Android
Old 04-14-2013, 07:04 AM

Just curious, How did u throw a Rod n old Motor? These engines Are Tough!!! and how many miles did it see.
Old 04-14-2013, 05:27 PM

Originally Posted by TravisCadello
Just curious, How did u throw a Rod n old Motor? These engines Are Tough!!! and how many miles did it see.
Dude when it happened i was thinking the same thing, but after getting everything out the rear main seal was bad. That's the only thing I can think of that could had done it. 198k.....I only had the car for a month. Maybe poor maintenance from the guy I bought it from. So by 4/18/13 I plan on turning the key and firing her up after a month in the driveway.
Old 04-15-2013, 09:33 PM

Damn that sucks ***!!! So i guess oil leaked out n ran motor dry! Damnit! well you should be happy n lots of maintance free miles with new one. as long as oil stays in it!
Old 04-22-2013, 07:14 PM

Originally Posted by TravisCadello
Damn that sucks ***!!! So i guess oil leaked out n ran motor dry! Damnit! well you should be happy n lots of maintance free miles with new one. as long as oil stays in it!
yeah very excited about this new engine. just waiting on my oil pan
Old 04-22-2013, 07:49 PM

Replace the two moon shaped gaskets that fit on the upper oil pan