5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Installed a Warpspeed Y-pipe, not impressed with quality

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2013, 07:47 PM

Installed a Warpspeed Y-pipe, not impressed with quality

I just installed a Warpspeed Y-pipe on my 2000 fed-spec Maxima. As my title says, I am much less than impressed with the Warpspeed Y-pipe quality.

1 - Bolting to the exhaust manifolds, when bolted on one manifold, the other flange was on an angle.

2 - the O2 sensor bung for bank 1 was not positioned properly. The O2 sensor could not be inserted into the bung until I bent the heat shield that protects the power steering a good half inch or more.

3 - The end of the Y-pipe that attaches to the catalytic converter was about a 1/4 inch short of meeting the catalytic converter. To bolt it up, I had to pull the catalytic converter towards the front of the car, stretching the exhaust pipe hanger that is by the rear axle.

4 - The end of the Y-pipe that attaches to the catalytic converter does not have a positive lining up design. It allows you to mis-align the pipe with the opening in the catalytic converter. You have to guess at the alignment. If you guess wrong, the crush ring gasket is not on solid metal and you have an exhaust leak. Take a guess as to how I found this out.

5 - The hanger bracket that they supply that goes just forward of the catalytic converter must be for some other make of car. It is made of a 3/8 inch rod welded to a standard 2 1/2 inch muffler clamp, with a 90 degree bend where it is welded on the muffler clamp. There are 3 problems with it.

a - I had to re-form that bend to be something like 80 degrees so that the 2 edges of the muffler clamp would sit on the Y-pipe.

b - I had to bend the straight portion of the rod (which is about 10 inches long) into a slight vee, making it so that the one end was about 1 1/2 inch off of straight. With it bolted on, it is too close to the body in my opinion.

c - The 3/8 inch rod goes into a spot where a 1/2 inch rod used to be.

Not so sure that getting a Warpspeed pipe was a good idea.
Old 03-14-2013, 07:56 PM

Yikes...
Old 03-14-2013, 08:14 PM

That sucks man. I installed the Warpspeed Y pipe onto my car, and the fitment was perfect. I also have a Cali spec, so I'm sure that makes a huge difference. The only negative I can say about the company, is that when it comes to shipping, they are the SLOWEST there is.
Old 03-14-2013, 08:57 PM

Originally Posted by 5aprilc
That sucks man. I installed the Warpspeed Y pipe onto my car, and the fitment was perfect. I also have a Cali spec, so I'm sure that makes a huge difference. The only negative I can say about the company, is that when it comes to shipping, they are the SLOWEST there is.
Exact opposite for me. Excellent shipping, suck-a$$ fitment.
Old 03-14-2013, 09:39 PM

Old 03-14-2013, 09:48 PM

Cattman ftmfw
Old 03-14-2013, 09:55 PM

I'll be buying my exhaust upgrades from cattman...... When I have the money.
Old 03-15-2013, 06:41 AM

Please see below (if you don't mind):

Originally Posted by DennisMik
I just installed a Warpspeed Y-pipe on my 2000 fed-spec Maxima. As my title says, I am much less than impressed with the Warpspeed Y-pipe quality.

1 - Bolting to the exhaust manifolds, when bolted on one manifold, the other flange was on an angle.

Did this change at all if you bolted/lined up the other flange first? Im assuming you had to correct this by drawing in the studs/nuts on the Y flanges (causing you to cringe inside knowing the piping is under stress)?

2 - the O2 sensor bung for bank 1 was not positioned properly. The O2 sensor could not be inserted into the bung until I bent the heat shield that protects the power steering a good half inch or more.

Do you see any issues with this other than being an inconvenience?
3 - The end of the Y-pipe that attaches to the catalytic converter was about a 1/4 inch short of meeting the catalytic converter. To bolt it up, I had to pull the catalytic converter towards the front of the car, stretching the exhaust pipe hanger that is by the rear axle.

Is there enough room on the hangers to simply slide the bracket "out" of the hanger a bit, 1/4" doesn't seem like much. Is this cause the Y or catback to hit anything?

4 - The end of the Y-pipe that attaches to the catalytic converter does not have a positive lining up design. It allows you to mis-align the pipe with the opening in the catalytic converter. You have to guess at the alignment. If you guess wrong, the crush ring gasket is not on solid metal and you have an exhaust leak. Take a guess as to how I found this out.

I hate this on exhausts. Did you take any measurements to see if centering the holes on both pipe flanges actually does center the inner diameter of the pipes perfectly? That being said, are the ID specs the same from end of Y to the cat?

5 - The hanger bracket that they supply that goes just forward of the catalytic converter must be for some other make of car. It is made of a 3/8 inch rod welded to a standard 2 1/2 inch muffler clamp, with a 90 degree bend where it is welded on the muffler clamp. There are 3 problems with it.

a - I had to re-form that bend to be something like 80 degrees so that the 2 edges of the muffler clamp would sit on the Y-pipe.

b - I had to bend the straight portion of the rod (which is about 10 inches long) into a slight vee, making it so that the one end was about 1 1/2 inch off of straight. With it bolted on, it is too close to the body in my opinion.

I appreciate your response to this stuff, you usually provide good feedback on the forum and I am considering a Y=pipe soon. Thanks Dennis.
Old 03-15-2013, 07:08 AM

Warp Speed

That sux...I have a Warpspeed y pipe on my 2002. It was great except for the O2 sensor bung should be moved. Mine was shipped pretty quickly - don't remember exactly, but if it was too long I would remember. Majority of exhaust replacements/upgrades need some alignment tinkering to get it right.
Old 03-15-2013, 08:06 AM

Originally Posted by noahrexion
Please see below (if you don't mind):

I appreciate your response to this stuff, you usually provide good feedback on the forum and I am considering a Y=pipe soon. Thanks Dennis.
1 - Did this change at all if you bolted/lined up the other flange first? Im assuming you had to correct this by drawing in the studs/nuts on the Y flanges (causing you to cringe inside knowing the piping is under stress)?

I did try securing each flange by itself (bolts just finger tight, no gasket) and checking the other one but the unattached flange always was misaligned. The way I want to describe the misalignment is like instead of both pipes being perfectly perpendicular, one was rotated a bit when it was welded together. Based on eyeball measurement (I was too lazy to crawl out and get my calipers) I'd say it was about 3/16 of an inch on the one side of the flange. I put the gaskets in and torqued down one manifold connection then went to the other and tightened down the side that had the gap first. I think it sealed OK. But if there is a leak, it will only get worse with time and become apparent.

2 - Do you see any issues with this other than being an inconvenience?

I can't foresee bending the heat shield ever becoming a problem. It's just that I shouldn't have to do that when installing something that is supposed to be plug n play.

3 - Is there enough room on the hangers to simply slide the bracket "out" of the hanger a bit, 1/4" doesn't seem like much. Is this cause the Y or catback to hit anything?

I did not crawl back to the rear hanger to examine it. But pulling against the hanger took more force than I was expecting it to. If the rear hanger is like the one by the catalytic converter, it is a solid rubber block with a hole in it for a rod that is welded to the exhaust pipe. Stretching it like this will probably cause the rubber block piece to fail prematurely. But as far as having the exhaust system hitting the car body, it does not hitting anything right now. I don't think it will until the hanger breaks.

4 - Did you take any measurements to see if centering the holes on both pipe flanges actually does center the inner diameter of the pipes perfectly? That being said, are the ID specs the same from end of Y to the cat?

I did not measure anything, but I believe that the pipe and the catalytic converter opening are the same size. The problem lies in how the pipe has to attach to the converter. The opening on the converter is a big, flat piece of metal with a stud on each side of the opening. The Nissan pipe has a flange welded to the pipe so that when things are bolted up, it is aligned. Warpspeed did not make their Y-pipe this way. They slide a flange on the pipe and then crimp (flare?) the pipe so that the flange won't slide off. Two problems with the flange they used. The opening that the pipe goes through is bigger than it needs to be, which allows the to move around in the hole. Second, the the holes in the flange for the mounting studs are bigger than what they need to be, allowing the entire flange to slide around on the studs, adding more alignment challenges.

I do have a small leak at the catalytic converter so I have to get back under the car and see what I can do before the gasket burns out and becomes a major leak.

I'm wondering if they made my Y-pipe after they came back from Happy Hour somewhere. I intend to call Warpspeed today and see what they have to say about this.
Old 03-15-2013, 12:24 PM

It's a tight tolerance fit...and you may need a little patience to work with the manifold collector flange.....it's seems off but it not.....
Old 03-15-2013, 01:31 PM

that is very strange... when I received my Y pipe from warpspeed everything was packed nicely and installing the pipe I had no problems what so ever... I did have to wait about 6-7 weeks to get mine since I ordered the Stainless Steel version but everything matched to perfection... I even compared my old warpspeed to the new one and everything matched...
Old 03-15-2013, 01:40 PM

Mine was wrapped up in a Hefty trash bag, and came in a box that was beat to sh*t. I guess there not all winners.
Old 03-15-2013, 01:49 PM

It's a backyard operation, I remember mine when I got it a long time ago wrapped in layers and layers of old newspapers in a beat up box.

First thing I did was do a test fit and nothing lined up, sold it on ebay the next day. I guess not much has changed.
Old 03-15-2013, 02:12 PM

I'm just fortunate that mine fit with no issues. I'm really just complaining about the time it took them to ship it to me.

Although, I feel like my car became louder, and slower. LOL.

Last edited by NmexMAX; 03-18-2013 at 06:28 AM.
Old 03-15-2013, 04:31 PM

Originally Posted by CMax03
It's a tight tolerance fit...and you may need a little patience to work with the manifold collector flange.....it's seems off but it not.....
I don't know about that. I spent more than a little time on it and finally put the Nissan Y-pipe back on as a sanity check. The flanges on the Nissan pipe mated perfectly to the exhaust manifolds. I still think that the Warpspeed pipe slipped in the welding jig.

I received the pipe 2 days after I ordered it. The box wasn't beat up or anything, everything looked good. The pipe was wrapped in a white paper, the type that is on a big roll.

I called Warpspeed today to complain and was told that I need to talk to a guy named Dallas. But he was not there at that moment and they would have him call me when he got back. I'm still waiting.
Old 03-18-2013, 06:09 AM

Damn... I guess me and a few of my friends were lucky (quick shipping and no problems on installation besides the o2 bung that was mentioned but, nothing a wiz wheel couldn't fix lol). AND I was about to refer a new maxima owner to them for a y pipe. We'll c what happens this time around.
Old 03-18-2013, 06:05 PM

No issues here, same car, 2000 Fed spec.

Name:  IMAG0317_zps5d44d775.jpg
Views: 519
Size:  62.0 KB
Name:  IMAG0316_zps859e0008.jpg
Views: 567
Size:  57.0 KB
Old 03-18-2013, 07:27 PM

Thanks for taking the time and posting a great review Dennis. Did you try contacting them about this? Crappy to hear, anyways, Warpspeed has always been cheap, but I didn't know they were putting stuff out that didn't fit.
Old 03-18-2013, 07:32 PM

Dennis, did you get the stainless version or not?
Old 03-19-2013, 08:35 AM
Banned

contact the vendor who sold it to you or warp speed directly.
Old 03-19-2013, 02:52 PM

Originally Posted by T_Behr904
Dennis, did you get the stainless version or not?
No, I did not get the stainless steel pipe.

Originally Posted by FastnFuriousMax
contact the vendor who sold it to you or warp speed directly.
I called Warpspeed today to complain and was told that I need to talk to a guy named Dallas. But he was not there at that moment and they would have him call me when he got back. I'm still waiting.
Last Friday morning I called Warpspeed. Yesterday (Monday afternoon) I got a call back. This gentleman named Dallas is their Maxima guy and I spoke with him for a while, maybe 10 minutes. Basically his position is that he has been doing exhaust for 13 years and the pipes are welded in a jig so there is no way that something could be wrong. He seems like a nice guy generally, but his position is frustrating.
Old 03-19-2013, 03:07 PM
Banned

No, I did not get the stainless steel pipe.

Last Friday morning I called Warpspeed. Yesterday (Monday afternoon) I got a call back. This gentleman named Dallas is their Maxima guy and I spoke with him for a while, maybe 10 minutes. Basically his position is that he has been doing exhaust for 13 years and the pipes are welded in a jig so there is no way that something could be wrong. He seems like a nice guy generally, but his position is frustrating.
I have a TOOL that you could inflict some learned into him..........
Old 03-19-2013, 03:16 PM

Originally Posted by TunerMaxima3000
Thanks for taking the time and posting a great review Dennis. Did you try contacting them about this? Crappy to hear, anyways, Warpspeed has always been cheap, but I didn't know they were putting stuff out that didn't fit.
I might be doing the cali spec y pipe thang in the not too far future. Would you say, without being a fanboy (not sure if you are one).....that it would be worth it for me to spend the extra $100 on the Cattman? Is it ACTUALLY build quality differences you can see?
Old 03-19-2013, 03:26 PM

I have the Warpspeed Y pipe that's Cali spec, and I can tell you that the fitment was perfect, and the quality of the welds were great, also I really like the sound. The only negative I can say about Warpspeed, is that they took almost two months to ship it to me. Might have been a fluke, who knows, but I would save yourself $100 and buy Warpspeed's pipe. Just my .02 cents.
Old 03-19-2013, 03:57 PM

Originally Posted by 5aprilc
I have the Warpspeed Y pipe that's Cali spec, and I can tell you that the fitment was perfect, and the quality of the welds were great, also I really like the sound. The only negative I can say about Warpspeed, is that they took almost two months to ship it to me. Might have been a fluke, who knows, but I would save yourself $100 and buy Warpspeed's pipe. Just my .02 cents.
How does it sound...throaty or rice?
Old 03-19-2013, 05:37 PM

After installing a cattman Axel back and seeing how perfect it fit (better than stock), and the truly amazing build quality, the cattman is worth it.

If I was buying a y pipe, I would have a seriously tough time deciding. Shipping cost/method would probably decide it for me because I'm in Canada.

If you can't customize stuff if necessary, or have to pay someone else to customize it, the cattman is the best choice because it will fit, 100% and Will last
Old 03-19-2013, 05:48 PM

Originally Posted by 2kMaxim
How does it sound...throaty or rice?

Not ricey in the slightest. I wouldn't like it if it sounded like that. And I didn't have to use a dremel on any of the bolts to make it fit. (Like I've read you have to do with Cattman's)

Last edited by 5aprilc; 03-19-2013 at 05:52 PM.
Old 03-19-2013, 05:51 PM

[QUOTE=TunerMaxima3000;8752466]After installing a cattman Axel back and seeing how perfect it fit (better than stock), and the truly amazing build quality, the cattman is worth it.

You must have Cattman's 2.5" axelback? Because I've read from Brian Catts, that he can't make a 3" axelback because of space requirements.
Old 03-19-2013, 06:24 PM

When you read all the posts in this thread, you get a mixture of good fit and not so good fit For the Warpspeed Y-pipe. The good fit comments are the majority but I think there are too many bad fit comments in my opinion.

Mine must have been made after the crew came back after happy hour or something.

Today I was trying to get the exhaust leak at the catalytic converter fixed. It is tricky. The the end of the catalytic converter is a flat metal plate with a 2 13/16 in opening with 2 studs sticking out. The Warpspeed pipe is a 2 3/16 OD pipe that is flared to create a mounting surface. I neglected to measure the overall diameter that the flair creates, but I would guestimate that the lip of the flair is 3/16 in, to make a diameter of 2 9/16 in.

A 2 9/16 in pipe to mate with a 2 13/16 in opening. That's asking the gasket to do a lot. Adding to this task is the fact that the flange on the Warpspeed pipe has elongated slots that fit over the mounting studs. These elongated slots give approx 1/4 in side movement. I put a mark on the catalytic converter for the center of the inlet opening and then tried to center the Warpspeed pipe as I tightened the nuts. All this with eyeball accuracy.

It's a miracle that I don't have a worse leak than I do.

Last edited by DennisMik; 03-19-2013 at 06:29 PM. Reason: fix typos
Old 03-19-2013, 06:34 PM
Banned

When you read all the posts in this thread, you get a mixture of good fit and not so good fit For the Warpspeed Y-pipe. The good fit comments are the majority but I think there are too many bad fit comments in my opinion.

Mine must have been made after the crew came back after happy hour or something.

Today I was trying to get the exhaust leak at the catalytic converter fixed. It is tricky. The the end of the catalytic converter is a flat metal plate with a 2 13/16 in opening with 2 studs sticking out. The Warpspeed pipe is a 2 3/16 OD pipe that is flared to create a mounting surface. I neglected to measure the overall diameter that the flair creates, but I would guestimate that the lip of the flair is 3/16 in, to make a diameter of 2 9/16 in.

A 2 9/16 in pipe to mate with a 2 13/16 in opening. That's asking the gasket to do a lot. Adding to this task is the fact that the flange on the Warpspeed pipe has elongated slots that fit over the mounting studs. These elongated slots give approx 1/4 in side movement. I put a mark on the catalytic converter for the center of the inlet opening and then tried to center the Warpspeed pipe as I tightened the nuts. All this with eyeball accuracy.

It's a miracle that I don't have a worse leak than I do.
Sounds like the same welder that made the Y pipe made those obx headers i got that time and swiftly smashed on the ground and slung across my driveway after 5 hours of fitting!
Old 03-19-2013, 06:47 PM

Yes 5aprlic it was a 2.5. 3"doesn't allow the flange to be in stock location, not enough room.
That's why you have to do the fool catback with 3"

Dennis I'd try pushing them a bit harder, even if you got a partial refund to offset the headache and extra work. If they say the product is good then ask them to replace this one, maybe it got bent during shipping.

They will be more likely to issue part refund. I'd think.

Let them know about the org and you're influence there, that can help.
Old 03-19-2013, 07:29 PM
Banned

Waving a large frame revolver in the air infront of them while urinating on their leg is quite an incentive also
Old 03-19-2013, 08:07 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Don't know if you guys know but I don't think you can get just a cattman y pipe anymore for a 00-01. U gotta find a used one.
Old 03-19-2013, 08:27 PM

From posts i've read on the Warpspeed Y in the past, people have better luck with the stainless version, whether it's Fed or Cali spec.
Old 03-20-2013, 03:01 AM

Originally Posted by cjandura
Waving a large frame revolver in the air infront of them while urinating on their leg is quite an incentive also
Remind me not to pi$$ you off!

note to self - when you are in Ambler this june visiting brother, don't run any maximas off the road.
Old 03-20-2013, 03:47 AM

Originally Posted by TunerMaxima3000
Dennis I'd try pushing them a bit harder, even if you got a partial refund to offset the headache and extra work. If they say the product is good then ask them to replace this one, maybe it got bent during shipping.

They will be more likely to issue part refund. I'd think.

Let them know about the org and you're influence there, that can help.
If it's not raining later today, I'm going to disconnect the Warpspeed pipe from the catalytic converter and measure the overall diameter of the flared end. I'm mad at myself for forgetting to do that.

Before I called Warpspeed, I was thinking of trying the "I'm a member of Maxima.org and will spread bad words about you" approach. I had all ready created this thread the night before and was thinking of e-mailing Warpspeed the link in advance of my phone call.

I decided not to be an a$$hole right off the bat. Dallas (the Maxima guy at Warpspeed) wants me to keep him updated. After I measure the pipe, I'm going to talk to a local muffler shop where the guys are "make it work" guys. What they say will determine what I do next and how I do it.

I have to keep in mind that I'm dealing with Arkansas rednecks in the Ozark Mountains.
Old 03-20-2013, 04:21 AM
Banned

If it's not raining later today, I'm going to disconnect the Warpspeed pipe from the catalytic converter and measure the overall diameter of the flared end. I'm mad at myself for forgetting to do that.

Before I called Warpspeed, I was thinking of trying the "I'm a member of Maxima.org and will spread bad words about you" approach. I had all ready created this thread the night before and was thinking of e-mailing Warpspeed the link in advance of my phone call.

I decided not to be an a$$hole right off the bat. Dallas (the Maxima guy at Warpspeed) wants me to keep him updated. After I measure the pipe, I'm going to talk to a local muffler shop where the guys are "make it work" guys. What they say will determine what I do next and how I do it.

I have to keep in mind that I'm dealing with Arkansas rednecks in the Ozark Mountains.
Oh Rednecks you say best use automatic type incentives and anti-personal positive reinforcement devices and learn to speak in Clashez dialect it may help.....
Old 03-20-2013, 05:01 AM

Originally Posted by cjandura
oh rednecks you say best use automatic type incentives and anti-personal positive reinforcement devices and learn to speak in clashez dialect it may help.....
+1 lol
Old 03-21-2013, 09:59 PM

I spent some time under my car yesterday, looking at the Y-pipe connection to the catalytic converter.

A week ago when I started this mess, I went and bought PB Blaster to spray on the nuts and bolts. I had never used PB Blaster before. Found out that that sheet makes me sick. Puked once because I didn't want to keep getting out from under the car but after a long break and hosing down the driveway, I took lots of air breaks. Anyways, a week later I can still that PB sheet, so I had to take frequent breaks. Talk about slowing things down.

So what I did yesterday look everything over closely. I measured and took photos and scratched my hemorroids. I did have an exhaust leak at the cat from my original install. As I said earlier, there is a lot of play (I prefer the word slop) in this connection and what I discovered is that the flange on the Warpspeed Y-pipe which has elongated slots for the mounting studs, had overlapped the center exhaust opening in the gasket that also has big, sloppy stud hole openings. I had the Y-pipe to one side and the gasket to the other side, which allowed the leak.

The gasket Warpspeed supplied uses a metal reinforcing ring around the opening in the center that the exhaust gas goes through. The outer diameter of this ring is smaller than the opening into the catalytic converter and it fits inside the opening like it was made to work as a centering/line up ring. And that is exactly how I used it. Of course that is not how it is supposed to be used, so that gasket has a short life expectancy.

Simply stated, the elongated slots on the Y-pipe flange allow for a half inch side-to-side movement. The flare on the end of the Y-pipe is only 3/16 of an inch larger than the opening in the catalytic converter. Positioning is critical. Once I figured this out, I marked the center line of the openings on the cat and the Y-pipe so that I could align the marks. Keeping the gasket in place was a bit of a problem, but when I replace it, I will tape it on first. Didn't think of that at the time.

Photo of the catalytic converter inlet:

Photo of the Warpspeed Y-pipe outlet end:

Photo of the gasket:

The gasket looks a little funny from not being properly positioned the first time. The metal crush ring also shows the mis-positioning. At the 10 o'clock position, it is shiny. At the 4 o'clock position, it is covered with soot from being in the exhaust stream. If you look at the left stud hole, you can see the impression of the oblong flange opening extending onto the metal crush ring, my leak.

Quick Reply: Installed a Warpspeed Y-pipe, not impressed with quality