5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Coolant on transmission?

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2013, 07:15 AM

Coolant on transmission?

2002 3.5
I have just had both coolant bridge gaskets replaced
Now when checking my reservoir, it is on low. it appears to maybe be the head gasket..? from the looks of it. does anyone know of anything else it can be over there? it does not appear to be the gasket that was repaired

thanks
Old 03-13-2013, 07:27 AM

upper radiator hose? heater hoses? throttle body coolant lines? cracked radiator?
Old 03-13-2013, 08:13 AM

Also tighten your valve covers & see what s going on after , do you have some leaks on the ground .
Old 03-13-2013, 10:00 AM
Da Roller Coaster!

Aside this being Planecrash I'll post some thoughts...

1. Did you check your oil? If it is the head gasket then you will see a milky color in your oil. Also, possible to see some oil in your coolant reservoir, particularly at the top of the coolant if the car has been sitting.

2. I don't understand, does the coolant drip on your transmission? Or you just have low coolant? It isn't clear.

3. If it is just low coolant, go back to #1 and check that first. If #1 seems ok, then get under the car and look for leaks. You can also add more coolant up to the proper level and see if it goes down again.

4. Sometimes..as the air is the system is released you will see the coolant drop a bit. This is quite possibly what happened.
Old 03-13-2013, 11:30 AM
dot dot dot ...

Originally Posted by sprocketser
Also tighten your valve covers & see what s going on after , do you have some leaks on the ground .
Careful with that. Read the FSM for torque values before snapping bolt heads.
Old 03-13-2013, 02:01 PM
Banned

The is Planecrash were talking about he dont have valve covers remember!they hinder his horsepower along with the pvc system
Old 03-13-2013, 02:04 PM

OP, you've been missed.

Did you replace your water pump yet?

Last edited by NmexMAX; 04-01-2013 at 10:10 AM.
Old 04-01-2013, 09:52 AM

Originally Posted by Fakie J Farkerton
Did you replace your water pump yet?
I couldn't replace it. i recently lost my job and thats why I asked for everyone's opinion. I wanted to know if I should beg and plead to my dad for money before trying to replace it. Before I got an answer my thread was locked.

its too late now anyways, its all sealed back up. My new problem is I have a severe oil leak that left no oil on the dipstick. The connery may be leaking. Above the alternator is soaked. Gonna have my friend mechanic try to fix whatever it is tonight . Ill try to get pics in a few minutes.

the coolant leak I was speaking of was left over coolant from a gasket leak that I recently had replaced. It was from a coolant bridge gasket. I was not aware that coolant does not evaporate.

Originally Posted by NmexMAX
Careful with that. Read the FSM for torque values before snapping bolt heads.
+1, I snapped one. Its a b to fix. gotta tap and stuff (fixed)

thanks for a tru reply foodmanry

Thanks for the post patchup NmexMAX.

anyways guys ill sum it up quick. Had entire timing job done, dropped upper oil, timing cover. Now after re installation, I noticed a huge oil leak above the alternator, which left no oil on the dipstick.. for idk im guessing 15 miles

anyways I took vids of the leak. the car makes a whining timing tensioner noise and metallic click at idle. im scared to drive it. I need opinions. Do I have low oil pressure due to the leak or did I severely mess something up. Thanks in advance

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y9pLI...ature=youtu.be

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2r_wM...ature=youtu.be

Last edited by Aviation005; 04-01-2013 at 10:35 AM.
Old 04-01-2013, 02:57 PM

Hey guys just wanted to post an update, it turns out both cam shaft actuators are severely leaking. Thats what drained my oil pan. Im going to get two new gaskets and install.

I'm hoping that fixes the timing chain issue. The new tensioner seems defective, the chain is loose and clattering at idle..

i bought inner fire parts from ebay, idk if thats the reason or if its due to low oil pressure due to both leaks

any input would be appreciated
Old 04-01-2013, 03:01 PM

if the new tensioner is not tensioning, you will still have timing chain issues. Find the kit (the thing is posted here somewhere on the org) and order a new tensioner and guide kit from nissan
Old 04-01-2013, 03:44 PM

Originally Posted by Amerikaner83
if the new tensioner is not tensioning, you will still have timing chain issues. Find the kit (the thing is posted here somewhere on the org) and order a new tensioner and guide kit from nissan

id love to bro, but I have no job and $100 for the next two weeks until unemployment kicks in. Im worried my water pump is now more damaged. the clatter may be from the chain skipping on its sprocket (it was already visibly worn )

im slowing giving up
Old 04-01-2013, 04:55 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Amerikaner83
Kit is in the 6th gen section and try to buy the tool they have in the tsb to help you
Old 04-01-2013, 07:09 PM
Get Off My Lawn

Money or not, this is what has to be done to properly fix the issue. If no funds at the moment, the only option is to let the car sit. To try and make due will only result in greater damage to the car and greater potential for a brain aneurism by you.
Old 04-01-2013, 08:37 PM

I am goint to have both VTC solenoids or whatever regasketed. I think the tensioner is loose due to both sides leaking. they are both high pressure from what my buddy says. Thats just my idea tho.. chain is deff clanking..
Old 04-02-2013, 04:52 AM
¯\(°_o)/¯

Originally Posted by Aviation005
I couldn't replace it. i recently lost my job and thats why I asked for everyone's opinion. I wanted to know if I should beg and plead to my dad for money before trying to replace it. Before I got an answer my thread was locked.
Bullcrap, you got an answer, you were told to replace the w/p...which is what you should have done..but you didn't..now it's all sealed back up...nice work there bud...

Here's the problem with your threads, you get GOOD advice each time you post, but you ignore it...giving you advice is completely pointless, because you are already going to do what you have in your pea brain head before you even post the thread...
Old 04-02-2013, 05:11 AM

Originally Posted by Greeny

Bullcrap, you got an answer, you were told to replace the w/p...which is what you should have done..but you didn't..now it's all sealed back up...nice work there bud...

Here's the problem with your threads, you get GOOD advice each time you post, but you ignore it...giving you advice is completely pointless, because you are already going to do what you have in your pea brain head before you even post the thread...

Old 04-02-2013, 06:48 AM

Originally Posted by Greeny

did you not believe my reason why i didnt replace the pump? no you didnt so SHUT THE **** UP.

you come in here and judge me, **** you. I hope Karma kicks your *** you little piece of scum
Old 04-02-2013, 06:50 AM

...and once again in before the lock
Old 04-02-2013, 06:51 AM
dot dot dot ...

did you not believe my reason why i didnt replace the pump? no you didnt so SHUT THE **** UP.

you come in here and judge me, **** you. I hope Karma kicks your *** you little piece of scum
He made an extremely valid point.
Old 04-02-2013, 01:55 PM
¯\(°_o)/¯

Stop being a little drama queen

Hopefully one day you will start taking advice given, that YOU asked for..Not ignore it because it isn't the answer you were wanting to hear....