5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Where'd the M-10's go???

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2013, 02:32 PM

Where'd the M-10's go???

Has anyone else run into problems finding M-10 crush washers for their oil drain plug? I've been all over this town and no auto parts stores have them anymore. I've been using the M-10 for decades and never had a problem finding them down at the local Advanced. I asked my wife to pick one up at a different store on her way home and they don't have them either.

(And,of course, the bozo at the store my wife stopped at tried to sell her an entire new "Premium" drain plug. Effin' good-old-boys.)

Last edited by Thorzdad; 03-11-2013 at 02:39 PM.
Old 03-11-2013, 02:49 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Why not go to the nissan dealer? I go there and they give me a handful for free.
Old 03-11-2013, 05:24 PM

Dealer sells them for about $1 each IIRC but they usually give them out for free like LA02MAX said.
Old 03-11-2013, 09:28 PM

I've reused my last washer on the last couple of oil changes. Hasn't leaked yet.
Old 03-12-2013, 01:36 AM
RR5

Because:
http://www.qwikvalve.com/fumoto-f-10...e-p-16147.html
Old 03-12-2013, 05:15 AM

Originally Posted by RR5
you are kidding... people who are afraid from some oil hitting their fingers should not be doing oil changes or in that matter any car repairs... plus did you see how easy was for that switch to pop open? what about during the winter time what you are driving in heavy show and you hit a chunk of ice with that switch??? I hope you posted that link there as joke and not a recommendation...
Old 03-12-2013, 11:38 AM

Originally Posted by L_U_D_I_AMaxima
you are kidding... people who are afraid from some oil hitting their fingers should not be doing oil changes or in that matter any car repairs... plus did you see how easy was for that switch to pop open? what about during the winter time what you are driving in heavy show and you hit a chunk of ice with that switch??? I hope you posted that link there as joke and not a recommendation...
Besides not knowing how much pressure is required to flip that lever, the company has addressed the very valid concerns that you have.

http://www.qwikvalve.com/5-8-Safety-Clip.html
Old 03-12-2013, 11:41 AM

Originally Posted by T_Behr904
I've reused my last washer on the last couple of oil changes. Hasn't leaked yet.
I'm almost afraid to post this, but in 55 or so years of changing oil (and some of it professionally), I can't recall ever changing one of those. If you are concerned, get a soft metal/copper washer.
Old 03-12-2013, 11:48 AM

Originally Posted by Thorzdad
Has anyone else run into problems finding M-10 crush washers for their oil drain plug? I've been all over this town and no auto parts stores have them anymore. I've been using the M-10 for decades and never had a problem finding them down at the local Advanced. I asked my wife to pick one up at a different store on her way home and they don't have them either.

(And,of course, the bozo at the store my wife stopped at tried to sell her an entire new "Premium" drain plug. Effin' good-old-boys.)
Did you consider ordering on line? I found this:

http://www.arsenalracing.com/product-p/dpwm10.145.htm
Old 03-12-2013, 11:57 AM

There's no way the couple places I go for oil changes replace that washer. And the only time I've replaced it was when I replaced the bolt/plug. And I only did it then for the hell of it while I was re-sealing my oil pan. I've had plenty of oil leaks, but none were coming from there. But heck, next time I'm at the dealer, I'll see if I can get some freebies.
Old 03-13-2013, 02:01 AM
RR5

Originally Posted by L_U_D_I_AMaxima
You have to lift the lever upward then slide it to one side in order to open the valve. But you need to re-think what you posted, I was not saying to purchase something if it does not make sense for the climate you live in. My post was simply to show an option available to stop using those copper crush washers.

Originally Posted by DennisMik
Besides not knowing how much pressure is required to flip that lever, the company has addressed the very valid concerns that you have.

http://www.qwikvalve.com/5-8-Safety-Clip.html
It's a spring loaded lever but it doesn't require lots of force to press it upward in order to slide the valve open.

Last edited by RR5; 03-13-2013 at 02:15 AM. Reason: post reply fail
Old 03-13-2013, 08:37 AM

Originally Posted by RR5
You have to lift the lever upward then slide it to one side in order to open the valve. But you need to re-think what you posted, I was not saying to purchase something if it does not make sense for the climate you live in. My post was simply to show an option available to stop using those copper crush washers.

It's a spring loaded lever but it doesn't require lots of force to press it upward in order to slide the valve open.
so now you have to remove the spring in order to lift the latch and move it put of the way and drain our oil... how about you get a 6 point socket and ratchet and call it a day... here is a reference of who is using it because they dont want to get their fingernails dirty...

Once again I see no point in having this thing... nissan sells the copper crush washers for pennies...
Old 03-13-2013, 08:47 AM

Originally Posted by LA02MAX
Why not go to the nissan dealer? I go there and they give me a handful for free.

I got 10 of them for free for just asking