5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Wet Passenger side floor?

Old 02-20-2013, 01:18 PM

Wet Passenger side floor?

Okay I noticed a while back when I got the car that the passenger side floor was occasionally wet. Then, I noticed a couple months ago that my rear passenger seat was wet around the lower back area(the the folding part). They all eventually dry but today I noticed now under the passenger seat and the the rear passenger carpet is a little wet. It has rained on and off the past week or so. I know there are threads about the front passenger carpet, but can anyone give me any information and possibilities on why it seems like certain areas of the passenger side would be wet aside from the front passenger? Especially that lowerback part of the passenger back seat. I looked under my car one time when it was wet and saw no moisture or leaks.

Noob Question: A sunroof drain hose...how does that work if your sunroof closes properly? If your sunroof closes properly there would be no water going to the drain hoses right?(hadnt had a chance to look at them)

Last edited by NYTooCooL; 02-20-2013 at 01:28 PM.
Old 02-20-2013, 03:29 PM

Cracked heater core?

Its been known to leak around the passenger side front floorboard.
Old 02-24-2013, 08:44 PM

bump bump
thanks, is that something i can check myself?
Old 02-24-2013, 11:08 PM

Turn heat all the way up, check for leaks/lack of heat.
Old 02-25-2013, 04:48 AM

Notice any sweet coolant smell inside the car?
Old 02-25-2013, 04:54 AM
Banned

Sunroof drain tube do a search.its in the kick panel pass side i think.
Old 03-01-2013, 01:14 PM

Would any of your suggestions make it wet all the way to the rear carpet? I don't think there are any holes under my car yet, I checked. Tomorrow I'm going to try and check some if your suggestions. so to check the heater core leak, just blast the heat and check to see if heat gets cooler? Because even when I'm just driving with it on low it blows pretty hot.

Last edited by NYTooCooL; 03-01-2013 at 01:20 PM.
Old 03-01-2013, 01:18 PM

Originally Posted by jesseroscoe
Notice any sweet coolant smell inside the car?
well I have a hole in the catalytic converter so I tend to sometimes have a gassy smell in the car from time to time. So I probably wouldn't notice the smell. But o believe my coolant level hasn't dropped
Old 03-01-2013, 07:24 PM

This is one of the common reasons

Originally Posted by cjandura
Sunroof drain tube do a search.its in the kick panel pass side i think.
Old 03-02-2013, 03:12 AM

Originally Posted by NYTooCooL
well I have a hole in the catalytic converter so I tend to sometimes have a gassy smell in the car from time to time. So I probably wouldn't notice the smell. But o believe my coolant level hasn't dropped
Exhaust leaks that are allowing exhaust gases inside your cabin are a pretty serious problem since you are basically poisoning yourself while driving. Sorry, not trying to add to you to-do list...
Old 03-02-2013, 04:42 AM

If your coolant tank hasn't dropped under the hood,then its not your heater core.Although if it is,the coolant can travel to the rear of passenger seat too.That "stud" underneath the pass seat has holes.I've taken my carpet off on my 6th Gen to install dynamat and have noticed it.Also it might be a roof leak problem.Your roof can open and close properly.But them drain tubes are installed for a reason.Because even on a new car,the roof can leak.I have taken my headliner off to wrap it up with suede,also dynamat the roof.There were pipes/tubes from the sunroof going down the pillars. It's a little time consuming but take your time on it.Easier is if u start with headliner..take it off and inspect it.If you find the problem you've hitten the jack pot.If not,put it back and start taking off your front and rear seats,center console and carpet.Inspect your floor along with the box where the heater core is(it should be a black sealed box right under the dash behind center console).Hope this helps. Good luck
Old 03-02-2013, 08:39 AM

Originally Posted by UniqueMax
If your coolant tank hasn't dropped under the hood,then its not your heater core.Although if it is,the coolant can travel to the rear of passenger seat too.That "stud" underneath the pass seat has holes.I've taken my carpet off on my 6th Gen to install dynamat and have noticed it.Also it might be a roof leak problem.Your roof can open and close properly.But them drain tubes are installed for a reason.Because even on a new car,the roof can leak.I have taken my headliner off to wrap it up with suede,also dynamat the roof.There were pipes/tubes from the sunroof going down the pillars. It's a little time consuming but take your time on it.Easier is if u start with headliner..take it off and inspect it.If you find the problem you've hitten the jack pot.If not,put it back and start taking off your front and rear seats,center console and carpet.Inspect your floor along with the box where the heater core is(it should be a black sealed box right under the dash behind center console).Hope this helps. Good luck
Thanks ill start inspecting today. But my thing is, i know everyone is saying sunroof, but if my sunroof closes properly, wouldn't my sunroof drain plugs not be being utilized anyway?
Old 03-02-2013, 09:01 AM

Well,mine closes properly too..Coming to think of it..Once I forgot the sunroof open (rear side up) and the headliner closed so didn't notice it.That day it rained and my car was parked most of the rain time. I closed it immediately after I saw it but still didn't get nothing wet inside cabin.I'm guessing the drain pipes did their work well.My point is that every now and then there will be a sunroof leaking, that's why drain plugs were installed.Maybe yours don't work right..Its a wild guess that all of us are guessing here without actually seeing the car but...start inspecting,everything you van think of.Ohhh i just thought of it,check the weather strips too(door rubber moldings).Sometimes they tend to move/from its place and water can get in from behind the weather strip into your car
Old 03-02-2013, 09:22 AM

Check you A/c drain as well!
Old 03-02-2013, 09:32 AM

Okay I noticed a while back when I got the car that the passenger side floor was occasionally wet. Then, I noticed a couple months ago that my rear passenger seat was wet around the lower back area(the the folding part). They all eventually dry but today I noticed now under the passenger seat and the the rear passenger carpet is a little wet. It has rained on and off the past week or so. I know there are threads about the front passenger carpet, but can anyone give me any information and possibilities on why it seems like certain areas of the passenger side would be wet aside from the front passenger? Especially that lowerback part of the passenger back seat. I looked under my car one time when it was wet and saw no moisture or leaks.

Noob Question: A sunroof drain hose...how does that work if your sunroof closes properly? If your sunroof closes properly there would be no water going to the drain hoses right?(hadnt had a chance to look at them)
mine does this too only when it rains hard and i don't have a sunroof. i'm thinking it's most likely the a/c drain
Old 03-03-2013, 01:17 AM

Originally Posted by 01bluemax
mine does this too only when it rains hard and i don't have a sunroof. i'm thinking it's most likely the a/c drain
yeah mine only happens when it rains hard, and its been raining on and off for the past 2 weeks. My rear carpet is wet and its starting show make the carpet dirty.
Old 03-03-2013, 01:18 AM

Originally Posted by CMax03
Check you A/c drain as well!
where is the a/c drain and how do i get to it? Im making a list of things to check. It's my spring break so ill have some time.
Old 03-03-2013, 05:50 PM

Assuming your a/c drain is draining properly and your leak is not from the a/c unit....then you need to re-inspect the sunroof.

There are 4 drain hoses, one in each corner, for the sunroof assembly. If everything is working correctly, the 4 drains provide enough flow volume for any amount of rain that gets past the sunroof seal. It is possible that a couple of them are clogged with debris, when that happens the sunroof pan don't drain right and water gets backed up and over the top of the pan and it trickles down inside your pillars instead of thru the drain tubes. You should be able to check by opening up your sunroof and pour a bit of water around the corners of the track/pan for the sunroof and see if the water drains from the pan in each corner, if the hole(s) is clogged the water will travel around the pan to the other corners. You should also see water coming out from the bottom of your car near each wheel if everything is working correctly, if there are any corner where you don't see water, chances are that one particular drain line is clogged. The front two corners drain holes, you should be able to see and access with the sunroof open but the rear two holes are hidden and out of sight because it is under the roof. Clean out front drain holes with some compressed air or poke a flexible wire thru it, if you are going to use a wire, use it gently, you don't want to damage the drain line, poke a hole in it, or push it off the barb on the bottom of the sunroof pan, then you will have to remove your roof panel and side panels to fix. If you suspect that a rear drain tube clogged, then you might have to remove some paneling to access

use the courtesy nissan parts diagram page for reference....

http://www.courtesyparts.com/maxima-...2070_2084.html

Last edited by fd3rew; 03-03-2013 at 06:14 PM.
Old 03-03-2013, 06:20 PM

your car gets wet when you try to get inside? sounds like its just happy to see you....

for serious tho....Cj be on da track you wanna be checkin mang.... oh and don't die of c02 poisoning and get that exhaust leak fixed