5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Is reprogramming a Junkyard ECM possible when you have a possibly broken IMMU (Immobi

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2013, 09:53 AM

Is reprogramming a Junkyard ECM possible when you have a possibly broken IMMU (Immobi

2001 Maxima 3.0L engine with no traction control and cali spec

I have been posting here (http://x.nissanhelp.com/forums/maxim...html#post86805) getting great help, but I would like to see if anyone here can help even more so since this is a primarily Maxima forum.

This is for my mom's car who doesn't have money for a new one and is disabled for walking too well, but she can drive and its the last freedom she has. So I'm trying to save the car for her as it has only 65k miles on it.

I have purchased a ECM/ECU from a Junkyard (good looking shape). Prior to installing it my Mom was having problems starting it and if she could start it it would only kick on a second or 2 and then stall out. IAC and Fuel pump was ruled out. After replacing both, the car still would not start sometimes. I am suspecting the Immobilizer unit (IMMU, because no third party shop could figure it out.

I have the car sitting dead at Nissan right now and I had to replace the ECM (because of damage to the old one) and I brought it there so they could reprogram the keys to the junkyard (used, but new to me) ECM. They are using the Consult II tool and they enter the code to get into the system, but it doesn't allow them in and there are no errors or anything showing up in their screen... it just doesn't allow them in to reprogram the keys against the replacement JUNKYARD ECM.

1. I have learned that if the IMMU was bad, it wouldn't allow them to get to the ECM. Is that how ya'll understand it as well?

2. Is it possible for Nissan to reprogram the keys to an already differently VIN'ed ECM if I purchase and install a new IMMU?

I am trying to avoid big costs obviously and they are wanting to put in a brand new Nissan ECM. Though I am considering letting Nissan order a new IMMU and new ECM to see if we can't get the car started again.

Advice? Thoughts? I really want to know if ya'll think the dealer doesn't know what they are doing... because to me this should be possible, but if the IMMU is blocking the reprogramming to the ECM I was hoping there would be some way to tell the IMMU is faulty before going through all this.

Thanks ahead of time. Your help may help save my senior citizen parents from having to owe on another car for the rest of their lives.

Last edited by searcherrr; 02-01-2013 at 09:55 AM.
Old 02-01-2013, 10:52 AM
Willing to learn

Originally Posted by searcherrr
1. I have learned that if the IMMU was bad, it wouldn't allow them to get to the ECM. Is that how ya'll understand it as well?

2. Is it possible for Nissan to reprogram the keys to an already differently VIN'ed ECM if I purchase and install a new IMMU?

1. Yes

2. Yes

The immobilizer unit that surrounds the ignition key cylinder is most likely defective. This will prevent the system from registering the key, and of course starting the vehicle.
Old 02-01-2013, 01:28 PM

Ok. thanks!!! How do you know this?

Did you work for them? or just know yoru stuff? Not being difficult, but a lot is riding on this.
Old 02-01-2013, 01:49 PM
Banned

Is your security light on solid? Does the car just crank without starting?no only the reciever antenna is around the lock cylinder.you will get a code instantly if the secu module is acting up
Old 02-01-2013, 02:10 PM
Willing to learn

Ok. thanks!!! How do you know this?

Did you work for them? or just know yoru stuff? Not being difficult, but a lot is riding on this.
I have done this exact thing on a 2000 Altima - bad immobilizer would not allow the key programming. Replaced the unit and everything worked fine.

I think it should work on the Maxima.
Old 02-01-2013, 02:14 PM

I cannot comment on the red solid light (vs a red blinking one) or the DTC, as I wouldn't think you'd even get a DTC if you are using a mismatched VIN'd ECM??? or am I making that up? - I will go to the dealer and check out the light status and see if a DTC is there if I can.

I remember in the pre-car-down days that the red light used to blink all the time when the car was off. I'll have to go back over to the dealer and try it on the old ECM and the new one.

Why can't the IMMU (remember we're using a mismatched VIN'd ECM) just NOT WORK and NOT BE transmitting a DTC? or again, wouldn't a DTC not transmit given we're not using the right ECM that is matched up yet?

It would seem to me you could have an electronics part go bad and still not see a DTC for it. Is that a false assumption/thought to make?

I am thinking about sending the old ECM off for repair. It would seem to me it would be better money spent and then if they can fix it, then I wouldn't need to have reprogramming etc.. all this n that crap anyway ... if it would be fixable.

What do ya'll think about the immobilizer bypass modules? How hard to set one up?
Old 02-01-2013, 02:22 PM

In experimenting between the two ECM's... is it necessary for at least one of the ECM case bolts to be bolted down for a case ground before I plug in the ECM and energize it with electricity? or are the bolts not providing a ground role here on this car? - I don't want to short anything out in the middle of trying to fix it.
Old 02-01-2013, 03:44 PM
Banned

If you attempt to crank your car with a unprogramed key the red led will go solid and you will get a dtc and no start. Of your secu is not reading the key a d id defective red light goes solid car will not start and you get a dtc.if you put a different ecu in you will get a crap load of dtc's
Old 02-01-2013, 03:45 PM
Banned

As far as the bypss use the idata link asdlodel and get it programed then hack it in 5 wires
Old 02-01-2013, 03:56 PM

Getting really tired of this dealership. They are now saying that the TCM is coded to the VIN too. Is there truth to this? I think the guy was talking out of his ***. I have not heard anyone say that the TCM also stored the VIN.

I replaced the TCM too, so does that mean I also have to have the TCM reprogrammed?

Would the TCM just get reprogrammed when the IMMU and the ECM does or is there a special separate procedure for the TCM too?

The guy at the dealership today (new one I haven't spoken to before) said that it isn't possible to reprogram an ECU that has a VIN in it already. I thought I did my homework on this before buying the thing.... everyone I've talked to said its possible, but the "stealer-ship".
Old 02-01-2013, 04:06 PM
Banned

People swap ecm all the time how you think 6mt and 5mt swaps are done
Old 02-04-2013, 07:27 AM

Originally Posted by cjandura
People swap ecm all the time how you think 6mt and 5mt swaps are done
Did you mean to say TCM there cjandura ?

Suggestions?

Find a new dealership?

Have old computers repaired?
Old 02-04-2013, 08:22 AM

I only skimmed the thread but did you ever respond to the solid red light idea? I mean, that is the simplest thing to check/fix so it should be first on your list.
Old 02-04-2013, 08:41 AM
Banned

If the ecm or secu is from the same year with same trans it can be reprogrammed
Old 02-04-2013, 08:45 AM

I have to say that that dealer sounds like a real bozo. All he seems to be saying is that he can't do it. When you take your car to any repair place, they should be able to tell you what is needed, especially after they start working on it.

And this VIN number stuff is totally illogical. That would mean that if you bought a replacement ECU (or even TCU) from the dealer, they couldn't install it because it wouldn't have the VIN pre-programmed into it. That means that if the ECU or TCU ever went bad, you have to throw the car out and buy a new car.
Old 02-04-2013, 08:46 AM
Banned

Bro better yet contact member aackshun ir call him look up nissans unlimited call and ask for aaron jackson tell him your from the org and tell him the issue he works at a nissan recycler and if you have the wrong part he has the right one for you at a killer price also btw his nickname is Sugatitz so make sure he feels at home
Old 02-04-2013, 08:47 PM

Originally Posted by 2damax
I only skimmed the thread but did you ever respond to the solid red light idea? I mean, that is the simplest thing to check/fix so it should be first on your list.
The solid red light was not ON when I plugged in the new old junkyard computer... but now I don't know if I was looking in the right spot or not. I was looking for it on the dash by the speedo, but I can't remember (because its been so long since the car ran) now if it was by the clock or the speedo area.

I was going to plug in the OEM damaged ECM and see about the red light, but the guy at the dealership advised me not to do it because of damaging other components which I thought was silly really because I'd already tried it just after the damage occurred anyway.

Basically I gotta go back and look by the clock and the dash for the red light.
Old 02-04-2013, 08:49 PM

If the ecm or secu is from the same year with same trans it can be reprogrammed
TCM ??? I was asking about the TCM having specific info in it to the car.

What is an SECU?
Old 02-04-2013, 08:52 PM

Originally Posted by DennisMik
I have to say that that dealer sounds like a real bozo. All he seems to be saying is that he can't do it. When you take your car to any repair place, they should be able to tell you what is needed, especially after they start working on it.

And this VIN number stuff is totally illogical. That would mean that if you bought a replacement ECU (or even TCU) from the dealer, they couldn't install it because it wouldn't have the VIN pre-programmed into it. That means that if the ECU or TCU ever went bad, you have to throw the car out and buy a new car.
I hear you.

He is saying that you can't recode a ECM or TCM once it already has an old VIN saved inside it. He's (dealer) saying that you could get a brand NEW ECM or TCM from NISSAN and code it to my car's VIN and it WOULD WORK because that new ECM or TCM would've never been coded to any other car before.
Old 02-04-2013, 08:55 PM

Bro better yet contact member aackshun ir call him look up nissans unlimited call and ask for aaron jackson tell him your from the org and tell him the issue he works at a nissan recycler and if you have the wrong part he has the right one for you at a killer price also btw his nickname is Sugatitz so make sure he feels at home
Man... I about lost my lunch when I read this. lol you gave me a laugh I really needed. LOL - I'll hit him up if I feel like I need to, but I think for now I've decided to go with a ECM/TCM rebuild shop. If I can have the old ECM/TCM rebuilt, then all should be well and the car should start.... unless the IMMU (immobilizer unit) is actually bad or not. Then I can look for the red light once I know the computers are good to go.
Old 02-04-2013, 10:00 PM
Banned

your tcm module is not the issue it only matters on the transmission
Old 02-04-2013, 10:57 PM
Banned

Wait a minute a tcm does not need to ne programed to the keys.
Old 02-04-2013, 11:00 PM
Banned

You can use any ecm also man what have i been thinking the dealer trying to shirly you bad bro just make sure its the same year ecm with same options so you dont get codes and goto a different dealer or call around for a ahop that has a consult II unit to do it hell some locksmiths that do cars can reprogram keys into it
Old 02-05-2013, 01:27 PM

2001 Maxima 3.0L engine with no traction control and cali spec

I have been posting here (http://x.nissanhelp.com/forums/maxim...html#post86805) getting great help, but I would like to see if anyone here can help even more so since this is a primarily Maxima forum.

This is for my mom's car who doesn't have money for a new one and is disabled for walking too well, but she can drive and its the last freedom she has. So I'm trying to save the car for her as it has only 65k miles on it.

I have purchased a ECM/ECU from a Junkyard (good looking shape). Prior to installing it my Mom was having problems starting it and if she could start it it would only kick on a second or 2 and then stall out. IAC and Fuel pump was ruled out. After replacing both, the car still would not start sometimes. I am suspecting the Immobilizer unit (IMMU, because no third party shop could figure it out.

I have the car sitting dead at Nissan right now and I had to replace the ECM (because of damage to the old one) and I brought it there so they could reprogram the keys to the junkyard (used, but new to me) ECM. They are using the Consult II tool and they enter the code to get into the system, but it doesn't allow them in and there are no errors or anything showing up in their screen... it just doesn't allow them in to reprogram the keys against the replacement JUNKYARD ECM.

I am trying to avoid big costs obviously and they are wanting to put in a brand new Nissan ECM. Though I am considering letting Nissan order a new IMMU and new ECM to see if we can't get the car started again.

Advice? Thoughts? I really want to know if ya'll think the dealer doesn't know what they are doing... because to me this should be possible, but if the IMMU is blocking the reprogramming to the ECM I was hoping there would be some way to tell the IMMU is faulty before going through all this.

Thanks ahead of time. Your help may help save my senior citizen parents from having to owe on another car for the rest of their lives.
You cant reprogram a TCM , as the hardware is just that, hardware. If it is faulty it would have to be replaced. the TCM does not have any association with the keys, so it wouldnt have anything to do with your issue. you can replace a TCM without updating the ECM/ECU. So completley forget about your TCM for now. they say they cant get consult hooked up ? In general or they cant get the keys to be reprogrammed to the ECU? If they can get into it but cant get the keys reprogrammed its probably because the NATS antenna is faulty, so even if they try with a new/used ECM and brand new keys it wont take the new keys because the antenna that reads the keys is faulty. YOU HAVE TO go to the dealership and check if that red light is solid when key is on. That will tell us whats going on.. not a light on the dash, the light on the clock bezel. Also, do you have 1 or 2 keys ? Are they the orginal keys or ones that came with the ECU ? Make sure they are attempting the reprogram with both keys if you have 2 , or it could be the chip in the keys as well, if your using the keys that came with the ECU then disregard this last part.

Last edited by user name001; 02-05-2013 at 01:56 PM.
Old 02-05-2013, 01:35 PM

I cannot comment on the red solid light (vs a red blinking one) or the DTC, as I wouldn't think you'd even get a DTC if you are using a mismatched VIN'd ECM??? or am I making that up? - I will go to the dealer and check out the light status and see if a DTC is there if I can.

I remember in the pre-car-down days that the red light used to blink all the time when the car was off. I'll have to go back over to the dealer and try it on the old ECM and the new one.

Why can't the IMMU (remember we're using a mismatched VIN'd ECM) just NOT WORK and NOT BE transmitting a DTC? or again, wouldn't a DTC not transmit given we're not using the right ECM that is matched up yet?

It would seem to me you could have an electronics part go bad and still not see a DTC for it. Is that a false assumption/thought to make?

I am thinking about sending the old ECM off for repair. It would seem to me it would be better money spent and then if they can fix it, then I wouldn't need to have reprogramming etc.. all this n that crap anyway ... if it would be fixable.

What do ya'll think about the immobilizer bypass modules? How hard to set one up?
Also, the light should blink when the alarm is disarmed, it should be solid when its armed, there should be no solid or blinking light when the car is on. so if you remember it always blinking something was wrong from the get go
Old 02-07-2013, 10:34 PM

Originally Posted by user name001
You cant reprogram a TCM , as the hardware is just that, hardware. If it is faulty it would have to be replaced. the TCM does not have any association with the keys, so it wouldnt have anything to do with your issue. you can replace a TCM without updating the ECM/ECU. So completley forget about your TCM for now. they say they cant get consult hooked up ? In general or they cant get the keys to be reprogrammed to the ECU? If they can get into it but cant get the keys reprogrammed its probably because the NATS antenna is faulty, so even if they try with a new/used ECM and brand new keys it wont take the new keys because the antenna that reads the keys is faulty. YOU HAVE TO go to the dealership and check if that red light is solid when key is on. That will tell us whats going on.. not a light on the dash, the light on the clock bezel. Also, do you have 1 or 2 keys ? Are they the orginal keys or ones that came with the ECU ? Make sure they are attempting the reprogram with both keys if you have 2 , or it could be the chip in the keys as well, if your using the keys that came with the ECU then disregard this last part.
Why'd the dealer tell me the TCM has the VIN stored in it too?

They get the CONSULT III hooked up and enter a code that is supposed to work and it doesn't... this is with the REPLACEMENT JUNKYARD ECM plugged in with the REPLACEMENT JUNKYARD TCM plugged in. When they enter the code, it just bounces them back to the same PROMPT to reenter the code, as if it is not allowing them to pass through to the next subroutine.

Thats as far as they've gone. Without being able to go further, they can't reprogram the keys.

Does that sound like the NATS? How the hell could the NATS even go bad if it had no moving parts?

When I go to the dealership to check the red light by the clock bezel, do you want me to check with the old DAMAGED ECM plugged in or the new JUNKYARD ECM plugged in?

There are 2 keys, both originals that came with the DAMAGED original ECM/Car.

LOCKSMITH - Can a locksmith really reprogram keys? If so, I may have better luck with this method as a locksmith (as it would seem to me) would seem to know all the known codes to get into any vehicle's system.
Old 02-08-2013, 08:42 AM

How does the NATS go bad? One of the transistors or integrated circuits in it fails.
How does the ECU go bad? One of the transistors or integrated circuits in it fails.
How does your television go bad? One of the transistors or integrated circuits in it fails.

Independent locksmiths can program keys for the car. Many of us on the .org have done that, me included. They make house calls (for an additional fee, of course) so you don't have to have the car towed to them. But there are 2 caveats. All parts of the car have to be working, such as the NATS and the ECU. And some technicians are better than others.

As for the red led by the clock, we are curious if it blinks or is solid. Which ECU you want to use is your choice, but personally it would be nice to know this for BOTH ECUs.

I still maintain that the dealer is a bozo.
Old 02-08-2013, 11:01 AM
Banned

Dealer is a Sausage Wrangling Thief in a thong!
Old 02-08-2013, 02:06 PM

Dealer is a Sausage Wrangling Thief in a thong!
Old 02-08-2013, 02:08 PM

Originally Posted by DennisMik
How does the NATS go bad? One of the transistors or integrated circuits in it fails.
How does the ECU go bad? One of the transistors or integrated circuits in it fails.
How does your television go bad? One of the transistors or integrated circuits in it fails.

Independent locksmiths can program keys for the car. Many of us on the .org have done that, me included. They make house calls (for an additional fee, of course) so you don't have to have the car towed to them. But there are 2 caveats. All parts of the car have to be working, such as the NATS and the ECU. And some technicians are better than others.

As for the red led by the clock, we are curious if it blinks or is solid. Which ECU you want to use is your choice, but personally it would be nice to know this for BOTH ECUs.

I still maintain that the dealer is a bozo.
I'm with you about the dealer.

I know... the red light... I plan to go back and check on it this weekend at some point. Caught a cold and I've been unable to do much this week. I'm not giving up on this. I know that car will start.
Old 02-14-2013, 06:55 PM

Well, I have some news.

I finally made it to the dealership to go look and see if the anti-theft light was working or not and when I get there they cannot find any of my keys. I gave them 1 key that was by itself and another key with the remote on it for the doors etc.. and they can't find either one. They seem to have a high turnover rate of employees too, as 2 or 3 of the people that were there when this started like 3 weeks ago, are now gone.... as in "quit" - so I was told.

So, maybe if they can't find the keys, it'll be a blessing in disguise... if they give me a new key set they'll have to program those keys to the junkyard ECM that I have in the car FOR FREE I would suppose.

In any case, I've met a guy who can help me out. He knows electronics really well and tonight I had him look at the old computers and he says they are toast and can't be repaired. We were discussing that and apparently since whats in the computer is mainly made of TIN thats probably why the wiring (copper) didn't degrade as badly as the computers did.

PLAN A: The plan is for me to buy one of the IMMU (anti-theft) bypass units so that the key issue is no longer an issue. Since this is cheap this may help. This is what my electronics friend thinks.

After that I'm gonna try to match the BCM (thinking I need to) to the junkyard ECM I've installed already, by getting the BCM from the same junkyard dealer I got the ECM from. If what Nissan is telling me is true, then the BCM and ECM must match because they both store the VIN. Is that right guys of the forum?????

If ECM and BCM must not be matched, then bypassing the anti-theft should get us somewhere and maybe at least the car will start and then I'll go from there.

PLAN B: Plan here is to still bypass the anti-theft, but install a BLANK ECM (big money) with the original BCM and see if the car starts.

What do ya'll think?
Old 02-14-2013, 07:07 PM
Banned

No bcm and ecm dont need to match.ok for the bypass to work you need 1 key to program it and the key has to be programed to the car.ok i bet neither of them ecm are toasted.take pics of the boards
Old 02-14-2013, 07:12 PM
Banned

Next if dealer lost keys demand new keys because of potential thief issue.call police while at the dealer to have them file a report of thief $500 = felony this will get you a new set of keys and ecm with programming
Old 02-14-2013, 07:49 PM

I hear you.

He is saying that you can't recode a ECM or TCM once it already has an old VIN saved inside it. He's (dealer) saying that you could get a brand NEW ECM or TCM from NISSAN and code it to my car's VIN and it WOULD WORK because that new ECM or TCM would've never been coded to any other car before.
They are lying to you, I am a technician for Nissan and you can register a new VIN to any ecu using Consult 2, 3, 3+. I would find a new dealer to go to.
Old 02-14-2013, 07:57 PM

Why'd the dealer tell me the TCM has the VIN stored in it too?

They get the CONSULT III hooked up and enter a code that is supposed to work and it doesn't... this is with the REPLACEMENT JUNKYARD ECM plugged in with the REPLACEMENT JUNKYARD TCM plugged in. When they enter the code, it just bounces them back to the same PROMPT to reenter the code, as if it is not allowing them to pass through to the next subroutine.

Thats as far as they've gone. Without being able to go further, they can't reprogram the keys.

Does that sound like the NATS? How the hell could the NATS even go bad if it had no moving parts?

When I go to the dealership to check the red light by the clock bezel, do you want me to check with the old DAMAGED ECM plugged in or the new JUNKYARD ECM plugged in?

There are 2 keys, both originals that came with the DAMAGED original ECM/Car.

LOCKSMITH - Can a locksmith really reprogram keys? If so, I may have better luck with this method as a locksmith (as it would seem to me) would seem to know all the known codes to get into any vehicle's system.
Sorry for the double post but I have to comment here, It seems as though whoever is working on your car is not familiar with how Consult 3 operates with older cars. Allot of times I run into the same issue that you are describing with the Immobilizer reset code not taking in Consult. But what actually happens is the keys will still program but the prompt screens on Consult say otherwise. Again, find a new dealer lol
Old 02-14-2013, 11:06 PM

No bcm and ecm dont need to match.ok for the bypass to work you need 1 key to program it and the key has to be programed to the car.ok i bet neither of them ecm are toasted.take pics of the boards
Resistors & capacitors fell off the old ECM at a slight push. A pic of it can be seen here though:
Old 02-14-2013, 11:09 PM

Next if dealer lost keys demand new keys because of potential thief issue.call police while at the dealer to have them file a report of thief $500 = felony this will get you a new set of keys and ecm with programming
I like this idea. I may use it, because this place seems very incompetent though while I'm there I have to act like they are the greatest.
Old 02-14-2013, 11:13 PM

Originally Posted by Dark_man_x
Sorry for the double post but I have to comment here, It seems as though whoever is working on your car is not familiar with how Consult 3 operates with older cars. Allot of times I run into the same issue that you are describing with the Immobilizer reset code not taking in Consult. But what actually happens is the keys will still program but the prompt screens on Consult say otherwise. Again, find a new dealer lol
What the procedure they should be following? Can you give me the steps man? You'd be a lifesaver.
Old 02-14-2013, 11:13 PM

Originally Posted by Dark_man_x
They are lying to you, I am a technician for Nissan and you can register a new VIN to any ecu using Consult 2, 3, 3+. I would find a new dealer to go to.
Thats the BINGO I've been waiting to hear. Dark_man_x - Can you tell me the exact procedure for them to follow using the Consult 3 tool? What code to use for the older car? 2001 Nissan Maxima 3.0L anniversary edition with no traction control... What would it take to find out the exact procedure?

Also, do you think the local locksmith would have a better clue about doing this than the dealer?

THEN I COULD EITHER TELL THEM WHAT TO DO OR HAVE THEM LET ME DO IT. I'M A COMPUTER TECH AND I KNOW THEY ARE JUST NOT FOLLOWING THE RIGHT PROCEDURE.

Last edited by searcherrr; 02-14-2013 at 11:15 PM.
Old 02-15-2013, 04:33 PM

Thats the BINGO I've been waiting to hear. Dark_man_x - Can you tell me the exact procedure for them to follow using the Consult 3 tool? What code to use for the older car? 2001 Nissan Maxima 3.0L anniversary edition with no traction control... What would it take to find out the exact procedure?

Also, do you think the local locksmith would have a better clue about doing this than the dealer?

THEN I COULD EITHER TELL THEM WHAT TO DO OR HAVE THEM LET ME DO IT. I'M A COMPUTER TECH AND I KNOW THEY ARE JUST NOT FOLLOWING THE RIGHT PROCEDURE.

They should follow the same procedure as programing any key. When Consult ask for the IMMU unlock code and they enter it, the screen is most likely saying "process unsuccessful" try again. When the Consult does this on older cars it IS actually in register mode even though Consult is saying that it was unsuccessful. All they have to do is follow the physical register procedure ( take key out, put back in and turn to ON pos. then wait for security light to blink 5 times).

Now if this process doesn't work and there are ZERO DTC's stored in the IMMU system (rare) then I would suspect the ecu.

Quick Reply: Is reprogramming a Junkyard ECM possible when you have a possibly broken IMMU (Immobi