5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Advice installing sub amp?

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2013, 02:43 PM

Advice installing sub amp?

So, now that my son has inherited the Maxima, he wants to install a mono amp to drive a set of subs. He's a little intimidated by the stock headunit in the Maxima (non-Bose), so I was wondering if anyone here had some easy-to-follow instructions on how to properly hook an amp to the head and run the power connection?

He's experienced with taking-apart trim and running wire, so that's not an issue. But any advice about the proper way to install an amp in these cars would be very appreciated.

Thanks!
Old 01-01-2013, 03:01 PM

here is a good write up on how to add an external amp to a bose system... basically if he will be running a single amp you need just one channel. He can find the rear driver side channel for example and use that as a source...
the link below will give you a pretty nice info on to how the run the wire from the battery to the trunk... actually I just received one of those infinity basslink as a gift for my bday and a few weeks ago I installed it... I used to have the bose system in my car but currently I have double din navigation unit installed so I already had a sub out, but the nice thing about the basslink is that provides you the option to hock up rear stereo channels to provide audio source to the box... it gives you plenty on bass to add a nice sound to the system and it is not loud enough to actually get him in trouble... plus you get to keep your trunk space too

http://www.vqpower.com/v3/content/in...l-onoff-switch
Old 01-01-2013, 03:05 PM

also I almost forgot... here is the link to the 12 volt source for wire colors ad locations
http://www.the12volt.com/installbay/...tail/1633.html
Old 01-01-2013, 03:40 PM

^OPs car is non-Bose
Old 01-01-2013, 04:04 PM

Originally Posted by tigersharkdude
^OPs car is non-Bose
I know... that's why I added the12volt wire harness colors... the idea is the same he will need to find at least one rear channel to get signal from... the first link will just give him ideas on how and where to run the wire from the battery...