5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

03' SE Cluster Gauge Lights Changed: Cool White & Blue

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2012, 03:11 PM

03' SE Cluster Gauge Lights Changed: Cool White & Blue

THIS THREAD IS TO SHOW ALL THE COLOR OPTIONS (blue, cool white, warm white, red, amber & green) FOR THE CLUSTER GAUGES OF THE 5.5'S!! INSTEAD OF SWAPPING COLORS IN TILL YOU FIND THE ONE YOU LIKE. NOT ABOUT WHAT BULBS TO USE OR HOW TO INSTALL. JUST COLOR OPTIONS!!!! IF YOU DON'T LIKE THREAD DON'T COMMENT!

Just changes my stock cluster gauge bulbs to LED's. I know there are tons of threads about this but none for the 03' SE. I couldn't find any pictures of the SE gauges done (they have a blue tint in the cluster) so i thought i post my results for others. First i did the cool white, then the blue to see the differences. Wanted to post the results so others can just pick their color instead of buying different colors and swapping each one out to see the results. The warm white are the stock color so if u want to keep that look, go with those.

EDIT: Shinjiduo posted pics of amber, cool white, warm white in post #8 below.

This is the cool white:

It looks more bluish in person. The camera drowned out the color a bit. It comes out a little blue due to the tint in the SE gauge.

Here's the blue (They are brighter in person):

There is no hot spots in the night. During the day when the sun hits the gauges it will not look the same.

Now here are the weak *** bulbs that Nissan put in the car:

Im sticking with the blue. It makes such a huge difference in the car! I can't stop looking at them. Guarantee you guys won't regret.

The bulbs used were 74-HP3. They were ordered from SuperBrightLEDs.com. They cost around 3.50 per bulb.

Green coming soon!!!

The blue are: 74-BHP3
The cool white are: 74-CWHP3

Enjoy!

Last edited by The Duke of NY; 12-16-2012 at 09:23 AM.
Old 12-07-2012, 03:14 PM

Looks awesome! Just like mine, but newer spec:

Name:  2012-12-04062741.jpg
Views: 244
Size:  37.8 KB
Old 12-07-2012, 03:22 PM

That's what i'm talking about! Looking good!

Originally Posted by Galactica
Looks awesome! Just like mine, but newer spec:

Old 12-07-2012, 04:04 PM

Originally Posted by The Duke of NY
I know there are tons of threads about this but none for the 03' SE.
One thread, nearly 800 posts, countless pictures and a wealth of information.

Don't know how you missed it.

http://forums.maxima.org/5th-generat...one-works.html
Old 12-08-2012, 12:32 AM

Yup, did this.

Also tried to get the buttons on my Navi to match as close as possible. Not sure what to do about the climate controls yet.

Old 12-08-2012, 08:15 AM

Amerikaner or Shin can help you with the climate controls. I had my bulbs done up with component LED's with resistors soldered onto the twist-loks on the climate controls and it turned out awesome. In fact, I think Shin is selling a setup in the classifieds for that.
Old 12-08-2012, 08:23 AM

Yeh shin can do that for u. He's doin my window switches to white now. Hit him up to see what he says.

Amerikaner or Shin can help you with the climate controls. I had my bulbs done up with component LED's with resistors soldered onto the twist-loks on the climate controls and it turned out awesome. In fact, I think Shin is selling a setup in the classifieds for that.
Old 12-11-2012, 11:57 AM
Maxima Grounding Kit Spec

Just thought I'd put up a couple of colors on a completely unmodified gauge cluster:

Red

Amber

Warm White

White

Blue

Old 12-11-2012, 12:46 PM

Hey Shin, remember that custom gauge led you sent me for the rare screw in connector where the connection has to made behind the board? I got it to work!
Old 12-12-2012, 02:53 AM

Originally Posted by 02whitemaximase
Hey Shin, remember that custom gauge led you sent me for the rare screw in connector where the connection has to made behind the board? I got it to work!
Word! I was so disappointed when I could not get those to work for you. I am glad you got them to fit. So how do you enjoy the output?
Old 12-12-2012, 07:30 AM

You are the man! I was about to order red, amber & green LED's just to have reference pictures for everyone else. That's why i did this thread. I guess all i have to get now is the green. Thanks for the pics! When i do the green i will post the final results. Anyone want to see any other colors?

Originally Posted by Shinjiduo
Just thought I'd put up a couple of colors on a completely unmodified gauge cluster:

Red

Amber

Warm White

White

Blue

Old 12-12-2012, 04:30 PM

Originally Posted by Rochester
One thread, nearly 800 posts, countless pictures and a wealth of information.

Don't know how you missed it.

http://forums.maxima.org/5th-generat...one-works.html
I seen this one before....
Old 12-12-2012, 08:36 PM

Originally Posted by Rods03Max619
I seen this one before....
Yes impressive we all have memories of past threads.
Old 12-15-2012, 06:36 PM

Just a question, I'm wondering how bright these are at night? Obviously they work with the dimmer but they aren't too overpowering at night? I generally have my gauges pretty dim especially when driving on dark roads and would hate to lose that ability.
Old 12-15-2012, 06:55 PM
Banned

Look for the gauge cluster thread and tunermax poll thread for Led
Old 12-15-2012, 09:12 PM

Originally Posted by jd87sep
Just a question, I'm wondering how bright these are at night? Obviously they work with the dimmer but they aren't too overpowering at night? I generally have my gauges pretty dim especially when driving on dark roads and would hate to lose that ability.
They are brighter than stock but they do work well with the dimmer and you should have no problem adjusting them to your taste. Or it you want I can make you some that have a brightness level that is more to your liking very easily for a fee.
Old 12-18-2012, 08:38 PM

Red

Amber

Warm White

White

Blue
OBJECTION!! thats not an 03 cluster, the title of this thread is 03 gauge cluster lights. 03 clusters with those LEDS would look NOTHING like those pictures. I think this should be clarified
Old 12-18-2012, 09:48 PM

Originally Posted by DjHackStyle
OBJECTION!! thats not an 03 cluster, the title of this thread is 03 gauge cluster lights. 03 clusters with those LEDS would look NOTHING like those pictures. I think this should be clarified
The 2000 Gauge clusters are the same, they just use more of the 74-HP3 bulbs for a quantity of 6
Old 12-18-2012, 10:14 PM

Bro chill out. All 5th gen clusters has the blue "reverse" film on the gauge so the effect any color led will have is the same. 2000 cluster might a little brighter but thats all.
Old 12-18-2012, 11:09 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Cheap nike jordan 13

Anyone know where exactly the ABS fuse is located on '04 Maxima? I assume its under the hood but diagram is worn off inside of the cover.
cheap nike shoes for sale

Cheap nike jordan 11

Cheap nike jordan 13
Old 12-19-2012, 06:54 AM

I see we have a troll....
Old 12-19-2012, 06:54 AM

Originally Posted by defiance
The 2000 Gauge clusters are the same, they just use more of the 74-HP3 bulbs for a quantity of 6
6? Mine used 5. 4 for the cluster and 1 for the digital display.
Old 12-19-2012, 07:19 AM

THIS THREAD IS TO SHOW ALL THE COLOR OPTIONS (blue, cool white, warm white, red, amber & green) FOR THE CLUSTER GAUGES OF THE 5.5'S!! INSTEAD OF SWAPPING COLORS IN TILL YOU FIND THE ONE YOU LIKE. NOT ABOUT WHAT BULBS TO USE OR HOW TO INSTALL. JUST COLOR OPTIONS!!!! IF YOU DON'T LIKE THREAD DON'T COMMENT!

Just changes my stock cluster gauge bulbs to LED's. I know there are tons of threads about this but none for the 03' SE. I couldn't find any pictures of the SE gauges done (they have a blue tint in the cluster) so i thought i post my results for others. First i did the cool white, then the blue to see the differences. Wanted to post the results so others can just pick their color instead of buying different colors and swapping each one out to see the results. The warm white are the stock color so if u want to keep that look, go with those.
Do you have the chrome rings installed on your gauges?
Old 12-19-2012, 02:37 PM

Originally Posted by rebelhell
Yup, did this.

Also tried to get the buttons on my Navi to match as close as possible. Not sure what to do about the climate controls yet.

come'on man don't be messing with your camera / cell phone at nearly 100mph
Old 12-19-2012, 03:02 PM

Yeah. I bought off of ebay for $30. They snap on. no glue needed.

Originally Posted by djkevinnn
Do you have the chrome rings installed on your gauges?
Old 12-19-2012, 03:40 PM

Bro chill out. All 5th gen clusters has the blue "reverse" film on the gauge so the effect any color led will have is the same. 2000 cluster might a little brighter but thats all.
the reverse film is unremovable in the 2003, so that red wont work. that amber wont work, its a completely different cluster to the 2003 and those pictures are unrelated to this thread and should be removed.
Old 12-19-2012, 03:59 PM

Originally Posted by gapboi210
come'on man don't be messing with your camera / cell phone at nearly 100mph
Would you believe me if I said my car was on jack stands?
Old 12-19-2012, 04:04 PM

I guess i have to install the red & amber myself along with the green to see the actual effects. I thought those pics were from an 03'. Thanks for the heads up. I will update pics soon. Just have to order the red & amber. Green was already ordered, just waiting on delivery. If they dont work i will still post pics of the results for reference.

the reverse film is unremovable in the 2003, so that red wont work. that amber wont work, its a completely different cluster to the 2003 and those pictures are unrelated to this thread and should be removed.
Old 12-19-2012, 04:17 PM

Originally Posted by defiance
No they're not. They're quite different.

6? Mine used 5. 4 for the cluster and 1 for the digital display.
Correct. 4 for illumination. 1 for the LCD screen.

You're right, some of the late 2001 have un-removable tint also. BUT, most colours WILL STILL WORK even with this tint.

That's because LED's put out a different light spectrum than normal bulbs. I haven't tested this perfectly myself on the 2002/2003 type tinted gauges, but I'm fairly sure that Shinjiduo didn't sand the tinting down on those gauges to get those pictures. Could be wrong.
Old 12-19-2012, 06:15 PM

Just in case every one let the whole "completely unmodified" part elude them the reverse film is still there. In fact people don't get the dynamics of LEDs at all and that is sad. LEDs unless they are white are solid state which means the color they emit is pure which means a filter will do jack S to alter their color. What the film will do however, is filter out some of the intensity but it will have literally no real effect on output color. So please stop emphasizing the difference like I am comparing apples to oranges it's more like comparing braeburn apples to jonagolds if you tasted one you have a decent idea what the other one tastes like.

Last edited by Shinjiduo; 12-20-2012 at 09:26 AM.
Old 12-19-2012, 06:29 PM

I guess i have to install the red & amber myself along with the green to see the actual effects. I thought those pics were from an 03'. Thanks for the heads up. I will update pics soon. Just have to order the red & amber. Green was already ordered, just waiting on delivery. If they dont work i will still post pics of the results for reference.
Sorry to sound annoyed but do I strike you as someone who does not know about 2002 03 parts. If so, you made a big mistake dealing with me to do your mods don't you think. If I am too stupid not to know that the 2000 through 2003 does not have a big enough difference in output for my pics to be relevant then I probably don't know how to solder your master switch boards properly either. I know there are differences between the 2000 01 and the 2002 03 but the cluster light output results with colored LEDs is not one of them. I wish I would have taken pics when I did these same lights on 2003 GLE Cluster and multiple 2002 SE clusters as I have done a few 5.5gen interiors over the past couple of years. But you all know since I'm not an authority figure on the org I must be an idiot right? I won't impart my BS knowledge anymore.

Last edited by Shinjiduo; 12-19-2012 at 06:31 PM.
Old 12-19-2012, 07:40 PM

So please stop emphasizing the difference like I am comparing apples to oranges it's more like comparing brayburn apples to jonagolds if you tasted one you have a decent idea what the other one tastes like.

Sorry to sound annoyed but do I strike you as someone who does not know about 2002 03 parts. If so, you made a big mistake dealing with me to do your mods don't you think. If I am too stupid not to know that the 2000 through 2003 does not have a big enough difference in output for my pics to be relevant then I probably don't know how to solder your master switch boards properly either. I know there are differences between the 2000 01 and the 2002 03 but the cluster light output results with colored LEDs is not one of them. I wish I would have taken pics when I did these same lights on 2003 GLE Cluster and multiple 2002 SE clusters as I have done a few 5.5gen interiors over the past couple of years. But you all know since I'm not an authority figure on the org I must be an idiot right? I won't impart my BS knowledge anymore.

Go on....

Old 12-19-2012, 11:50 PM

Originally Posted by TunerMaxima3000

Go on....

Yeah I got more than a little defensive with those last two post
Old 12-20-2012, 06:15 AM

ah whatever you do don't stop contributing just because one guy doubts your crazy LED skills
Old 12-20-2012, 06:23 AM

Shin, my complete blue led conversion you did for me is still working perfectly and looks better than any other I have seen. (others reading this, I have an 02). Not a single problem. You are an asset to this forum.
Old 12-20-2012, 07:34 AM

Shinjiduo is about 95% correct.

The only thing he got wrong was the apples. They're Braeburns, not brayburns. Otherwise

Old 12-20-2012, 09:15 AM

Originally Posted by Amerikaner83
Shinjiduo is about 95% correct.

The only thing he got wrong was the apples. They're Braeburns, not brayburns. Otherwise

Damn! I just knew someone was going to call me out on that. That's alright though I needed to be checed after my rant. I apologize to the org for being a bich.
Old 12-20-2012, 07:19 PM

Originally Posted by 02whitemaximase
Shin, my complete blue led conversion you did for me is still working perfectly and looks better than any other I have seen. (others reading this, I have an 02). Not a single problem. You are an asset to this forum.
I wouldn't say I am an asset it has been a up and down run for me on this forum as the many hordes of org member who have called me a scammer can attest to. Worst of all I can't blame them for believing that at the time as I can be excruciatingly slow and definitely have s h i t t y communication habits.
Old 12-21-2012, 07:16 PM

Old 12-21-2012, 10:43 PM

Originally Posted by fanlyan
I can make some matching LEDs for you. PM me for details.

Quick Reply: 03' SE Cluster Gauge Lights Changed: Cool White & Blue