5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Problem: Engine starts and stalls - fine after a while

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2012, 04:26 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Problem: Engine starts and stalls - fine after a while

Hi folks, I will do my best to detail my problem here and would really appreciate it if anyone can give me some advice and/or expertise.

Car: 2000 Nissan Maxima (I have owned it for five months), Automatic

Problem: In the early mornings (6am, 7am), the car starts fine. However, there is a smell of fuel. When I try to pull out of my apartment's parking lot, the engine sputters and stalls. I turn off the car and start it back up. Again, it starts, sputters and stalls. This happens for about five-ten minutes. After a while, it seems to stay running and I can take it out to the road. I have noticed that when I am stopped at a red light, the engine starts to sputter. I put it to park and press down on the gas pedal bit (not sure if that helps but I haven't stalled on the road yet, thank God).

Background: I bought this car five months ago and it came with the Check Engine Light on. I've been to AutoZone to get it scanned and the codes are: P0135, P0141, P0155, P0161. All four of which are oxygen sensor problems.

This stalling issue just started two days ago. I live in Arizona and it's only been recently that the overnight lows have been in the low 30's. I have also noticed that when I start the car in the afternoon to run errands, there is absolutely no problem (no sputtering, no stalling, no smell of fuel). The temperature then is about mid-60s or mid-70s. In prior months, the temperature has been a bit warmer and there is no issue (other than the Check Engine Light). This leads me to think that the cold temperature exacerbates the problem, if not directly causes it.

Since I don't know much about cars, I've asked a few people where I work and they claim that it could be a lot of possible issues: fuel pump, fuel filter, exhaust manifold, spark plugs, wiring, and of course, oxygen sensors. The thing is, when I first found out that the oxygen sensors were causing the error, I went ahead and had two of them replaced (under the hood, I believe those are upstream, correct?). This did not solve the Check Engine Light issue so I gave up and have been driving it around ever since.

Now, I am trying to figure what exactly the issue is here, how to go about fixing it and how much it would probably cost. What should I ask the mechanic? Can anyone point me in the right direction? Thanks!

If you haven't figured it out, I am an absolute novice when it comes to cars.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Last edited by noblerare; 11-13-2012 at 04:29 PM.
Old 11-14-2012, 06:37 AM

Well those primary o2 sensors control air/fuel ratio so they're vital. Before you looking at anything else you need to solve those. It strikes me as odd that all 4 of your sensors are shot. What are the chances?

Have you inspected the wires on each of the o2 sensors? I'd start there, make sure there's no visible cuts or damage to them. I don't know how good you are with cars, voltmeter, etc but it's relatively simple to do a continuity test to make sure there's no breaks in the wiring harness between the sensors and the ECU.

Also, when you had them replaced do you know if they were OEM or just some kind of cheap brand?
Old 11-16-2012, 07:19 AM

sounds like a Cam/crank sensor issue......
Old 11-16-2012, 08:16 AM
Da Roller Coaster!

It may be a cam/crank sensor issue, but I doubt it since it starts ok and later stalls. If it was a cam/crank sensor issue he would have trouble starting the car.

The smell of unburnt fuel tells me lack of spark, or too much fuel. Andrewmac is right, get the SES codes fixed first. With O2 sensors the brand should be Bosch, NGK, or OEM for best replacement. Since the primary O2 sensors control the air/fuel ratio it is quite likely the issue will go away after these are fixed.
Old 11-16-2012, 01:16 PM

Originally Posted by foodmanry
It may be a cam/crank sensor issue, but I doubt it since it starts ok and later stalls. If it was a cam/crank sensor issue he would have trouble starting the car.

The smell of unburnt fuel tells me lack of spark, or too much fuel. Andrewmac is right, get the SES codes fixed first. With O2 sensors the brand should be Bosch, NGK, or OEM for best replacement. Since the primary O2 sensors control the air/fuel ratio it is quite likely the issue will go away after these are fixed.
Different issues surround those Cam/crank sensor sometime they crank up and shut off while driving possible causing an accident.....
Old 11-16-2012, 01:17 PM

Maybe your fuel pump or fuel regulator is the source!
Old 11-16-2012, 03:53 PM

First I would change the spark plugs (make sure to get OEM or bosch or NGK don't get some off brand crap you'll thank yourself later) Then i'd change out the air, fuel, oil filters. And make sure your radiator is full of 50/50 antifreeze/coolant, thermostat, fuel injectors. (You can see im just telling you to do a basic tune up in steps of easiest to hardest and the things above are easy to do yourself or you can just ask the guy at autozone he'd do it for you.) Make sure all your sensors are good, Id check the mass air flow sensor too. Then next is going into like fuel pump, oil pump, water pump, starter, and distributor which are a little harder and some might require dropping the motor or really snaking your hand in there. Then maybe torque converter, thats all I can think of to do off top, and its a start and can be any combo or any one of these things.

Last edited by LazYRaCeR; 11-16-2012 at 04:06 PM.
Old 11-16-2012, 04:03 PM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

O2 sensors are not controlling a/f ratio during cold engine operation.
Check the engine coolant temperature sensor, make sure it's within spec when it's cold.