5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

The best way to recolor my interior?

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2012, 07:51 PM

The best way to recolor my interior?

Hey folks I'm new to the forum but I've been stalkin around here a lot since I got my 2001 Nissan Maxima SE about 2 months ago

I really gotta say thanks to a lot of you cause you all gave me a lot of insight on what I should and should not do with my car...

Anyway to my dilemma... Ever since I took a ride in my friend's Mazda6 I realized just how bad-looking my tan interior is O.o (he had a black mesh interior with red LEDs from the radio and his dashboard meters).

I have been looking for stuff online on how to replace the inner look of my interior and I ran across a thread where someone painted half their dash white (I can't for the life of me find the thread anymore...) but it gave me inspiration that I can save money by simply painting the dash (it will cost work and elbow grease but a lot cheaper and prettier than buying a new dash)

Oh yeah, another thing is that I'm a college student so I'm not *filthy* rich but I do have a part time job that I make money off of, so I can afford a few things.

Anyway, I was hoping if some of you all could actually help me figure out what to do in this situation. I really dislike the tan interior I have and I just want to recolor it (not reupholster it with leather or any fancy thing like that). I *do* know that fabric paint makes the seats hard so I don't want to go to that route. I also went around to a couple of junk yards today and I found a place that is willing to sell me 2002 Maxima seats for $600 plus dash, door panels, and carpet for another $100 each (total of $300 for what I just listed). It seems really pricey for a junk car in my opinion... I believe they're trying to scam me cause I just look like someone that can be scammed.

So now I'm still exploring different options. I just want my car to look a *tad* bit sportier without making the insides look like a Camaro or some sports car or something.

If anyone has any tips please feel free to post them in this thread! I'm in serious want for turning my interior from tan to grey/dark blue/black/something not tan.

Thanks all!
Old 10-30-2012, 08:11 PM

Check it the classified section you might be able to find someone Who parting out they car and get the interior cheaper than that if not get keep eye on the classifieds something might come up. You can deff find a better deal than that.
Old 10-30-2012, 08:15 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

you can pick up the bash and all the black plastic pieces for around $200 plus the seats. Seats usually go anywhere from $300-500 depending on condition and features. I recomend finding a seller parting out a max close to you or search craigslist for a deal.

Painted interiors look very tacky IMO.
Old 10-30-2012, 09:58 PM

Agreed.

And if you wanted to get rid of that ugly faded green backlighting and switch out to bright white/red/blue LEDs, hit me up

/shameless plug
Old 10-31-2012, 07:09 PM

Hmm alright I'll remember that LED thing once I start putting my interior together.

And I'm reading about being able to swap interior seats with other car seats? Like the 4th gen or the i30 seats? Just curious as to see how well these go... like how much modding do I have to do? Will I have to take a drill out and start punching holes?

Other than that, yea I suppose just waiting for someone to part with their interior is the best bet I got... I remember finding a thread that mentioned that there were so many tiny trim pieces that I wouldn't know what to do
Old 10-31-2012, 09:08 PM

Sharpie
Old 10-31-2012, 11:21 PM

Originally Posted by luvlexus101
Sharpie
ha

If you are really on a budget, I would replace the seats but then paint the dash, door panels etc. If you prep well, use the right paint, I have seen some nice results. Although it seems there are usually durability issues.
Old 10-31-2012, 11:59 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

You can look on custommaxima.com and they have dash kits and things that you could get rid of the color that way. I know you said you didnt want to do anything fancy but leatherseats.com can get you what you want, otherwise id suggest someone parting out their max as previously stated.
Old 11-01-2012, 02:33 AM

Ebay is a good place to look.
Old 11-01-2012, 10:09 PM

"I believe they're trying to scam me cause I just look like someone that can be scammed."

I love this.

What is your location? Lots of parts cars in junkyards around here (Portland). You should be able to get a way better deal. Stick with the 5th and 5.5 Gen maxima's and the I30/35 if you don't want to modify and just want bolt in. The 4th gen requires some modification.
Old 11-01-2012, 10:41 PM

dude if you want to be cheap the only way is to paint them with vinyl and fabric spray cans, i'd only do probably just the panels and not the seats because i don't think spray painting fabric will be a good idea..

edit: i found a link on some dude with a civic painting his whole interior http://www.clubcivic.com/board/showthread.php?t=84194, might give this a try in the spring time or whenever the weather gets warmer

Last edited by picnik99; 11-01-2012 at 11:09 PM.
Old 11-02-2012, 12:10 AM

Couldn't you use fabric dye on the seats and carpet? Remove the fabric upholstery from the seats and dye them in the sink. I hear getting it back on can be a nightmare though. I would think the carpet and headliner could be dyed as well. Then you only have to worry about trim. Krylon Fusion for Plastics could take care of that. Might not last forever but you'd know how to fix it.
Old 11-02-2012, 07:26 AM

For next time when u go window shopping in junk yards its not that u look like u could be scammed its that u talk like u can be scammed first look around and find different prices and will gain knowlegde and u could stick up for ur self because u now u can get it cheaper somewere else so u tell them and it will change ur appearrance u act like u now.
Now for painting ur interior cheap and durable longer lasting way
step;1 use tri-sodium phosphate
step:2 wipe down with wax,grease removar
step;3 adhesion promoter
step:4 use vinyl paint
and ur done,but before u do all these steps u must take apart everything,also these cars are old if u buy use panels they might be faded and dont have to use a tacky color there nice colors u can use.
Old 11-02-2012, 07:26 AM

If you are really on a budget, I would replace the seats but then paint the dash, door panels etc. If you prep well, use the right paint, I have seen some nice results. Although it seems there are usually durability issues.
Yeah I'm prolly gonna end up painting so I don't have to worry about finding all the tiny trim pieces, *and* I can do the white trim that I wanted in the first place. It does sound like I'll still have to find some door panels though, because of the fabric intertwined in there,

Couldn't you use fabric dye on the seats and carpet? Remove the fabric upholstery from the seats and dye them in the sink. I hear getting it back on can be a nightmare though. I would think the carpet and headliner could be dyed as well. Then you only have to worry about trim. Krylon Fusion for Plastics could take care of that. Might not last forever but you'd know how to fix it.
Never thought of actually taking them *out* of the seats.. that's smart..... I'm still worried though cause I heard that even Fabric Dye makes it a *little* stiff, but it may be worth it... Also read though that the dye wears off after awhile cause of wear and tear. Hopefully by then though I would have done what this guy recommends:

I know you said you didnt want to do anything fancy but leatherseats.com can get you what you want, otherwise id suggest someone parting out their max as previously stated.
Yeah I'm probably going to get leather or their suede/vinyl in the future! Read a lot of good things about them. Doesn't solve the issue of the carpets getting wear and tear and dye stripping off however >.< I'll think of something

What is your location? Lots of parts cars in junkyards around here (Portland). You should be able to get a way better deal. Stick with the 5th and 5.5 Gen maxima's and the I30/35 if you don't want to modify and just want bolt in. The 4th gen requires some modification.
I'm in Hampton Roads, Virginia. I mean there are a good bunch of junkyards around here, but admittedly it's also a pretty racist area (I'm asian) and most asians around here (not me; I said most) are pretty cash-in-hand-$100-pocket-change types.

But wait wait wait- The I30s and I35 seats are completely compatible as well? Really?? That opens up my options a *lot*

i found a link on some dude with a civic painting his whole interior http://www.clubcivic.com/board/showthread.php?t=84194, might give this a try in the spring time or whenever the weather gets warmer
He's actually takin the whole damn interior apart... I'm actually likin that DIY a lot, although unlike him I'm probably going to put a clearcoat to work out the issues that he had about constant touching up and stuff.

Thanks a lot for the feedback all! I just put in a new 500W subwoofer and stereo system so I'm a little strapped on cash (actually in debt xD). I'm also 500 miles away from 100K so I also gotta do a tune-up soon as well... I'll probably post a few questions on the Newbie thread, but really this is great info.
Old 11-02-2012, 11:27 AM

Dont use fabric dye.. Replace them seats! , or your clothes will turn what ever color you dye them! Your gunna have to replace the seats, as for the door panels and dash, maxstreets had the right idea, but when your degreasing it, use a ultra fine scotch brite, then degrease again with a rag. To be totally honest, from experience working in a bodyshop, and having vinyl repair guys in here on a constant basis, its gunna fade, crack etc. over time, and cleaners will deteriorate it too, so only use water to clean it if u do go through with doing it. your best bet is replace, or your going to ruin everything or you just wont like the outcome
Old 11-02-2012, 11:30 AM
Da Roller Coaster!

To be honest...you are better off cleaning the hell out of the interior. Replacing the seats, painting various parts, etc. will only look good for a little while and that is it is done well. It is way too easy to make it look terrible or worse in the process.

If you really want a different interior buy another car IMO. All of this is not worth the hassle and you have a higher chance of making it look worse than better.
Old 11-02-2012, 11:32 AM

Another thing you can do, but cleaning it properly is very important, is buy vinyl wrap from somewhere and clean the crap out of it, you and a buddy pull the dash out, take all trim peices off, get a heat gun, heat it up to shape the curves and wrap everything, you can heat it up and peel it back if you get a wrinkle etc. And re apply. less runs, less chance of spotting, chipping etc. No overspray. Thats your best bet to change the dash and door panels. you could do a black and carbon trim, it would look good.
Old 11-02-2012, 11:34 AM

And if u dont like it, vinyl you can peel off, the paint is irriversable.
Old 11-02-2012, 01:22 PM

I've seen a show called "wheeler dealers" on velocity where they had a professional repaint the leather seats but it was pretty involved. I think it cost them 200 euro IIRC, but it turned out great. Not sure how it would hold up in the long run though.
Old 11-02-2012, 01:34 PM

Yea I've read about the horror stories of people who paint their dash and such, because of the wear and fading and such...

However, wouldn't a clear coat or strong wood finisher product combined with a primer fix that problem? I read about that solution somewhere, but everywhere else no one seems to bring up the idea... I mean how does the manufacturer keep the color in? Same way, right?

For next time when u go window shopping in junk yards its not that u look like u could be scammed its that u talk like u can be scammed first look around and find different prices and will gain knowlegde and u could stick up for ur self because u now u can get it cheaper somewere else so u tell them and it will change ur appearrance u act like u now.
Yeah that's prolly a big reason.... It's a shame too I'm a lot smarter than I look and act but I'm about 120 lbs of pure skinnyness, combined with the fact that I stutter a lot (nothing bad, it's kinda like Mitt Romney)
Old 11-02-2012, 02:22 PM

The issue is to PROPERLY paint the interior trim pieces, they ahve to be removed.

If you're going though the labour to remove it all, you're better off replacing it.

The seats will need to either be re-upholstered or replaced. You can dye leather with so-so results (the dye tends to wear off over time), but you can't properly change cloth interior.

Also, I FULLY understand the want to change to black. The tan interior is HIDEOUS in this car, I have it in mine, and there's NOTHING good about it. Black Maxima interiors look amazing, this is aweful, it's like a camry.
Old 11-02-2012, 09:50 PM

Originally Posted by TunerMaxima3000
The issue is to PROPERLY paint the interior trim pieces, they ahve to be removed.

If you're going though the labour to remove it all, you're better off replacing it.

The seats will need to either be re-upholstered or replaced. You can dye leather with so-so results (the dye tends to wear off over time), but you can't properly change cloth interior.

Also, I FULLY understand the want to change to black. The tan interior is HIDEOUS in this car, I have it in mine, and there's NOTHING good about it. Black Maxima interiors look amazing, this is aweful, it's like a camry.
I dunno, I've always said that if you can do it yourself cheaper and better, then it's better to do that

Besides, every deal I've found everyone's willing to part with their interior for a good hefty sum above $300. Thats plastic pieces only. If I get only carpets and/maybe new seats, then I would save a very good bit of money. If I can get as far as removing the stuff for labor, then I'm willing to paint it while it's already out. A couple of coats of what I need coupled with some furniture sealant and clear coat should do the trick.... right? >.>

The tan interior is HIDEOUS in this car, I have it in mine, and there's NOTHING good about it.
I have it in mine, and there's NOTHING good about it.
NOTHING good about it.
NOTHING
^^ He speaks the truth.
Old 11-04-2012, 08:18 PM

HIDEOUS!!!!! i agree..