5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

2001 infiniti i30 - idle problem?

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2012, 01:18 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

2001 infiniti i30 - idle problem?

just looking for feedback.. this is an odd issue and the guys at a local firestone don't even know the exact problem

2001 infiniti i30 - 174k miles (i bought it in jan with 138k LOL)

10/16/2012 I had firestone do a tune-up and clean my fuel injector. the car misfired every time at startup for the next two days and the started ended up getting fried.

10/22/2012 had firestone install a new starter. tech said when he got the car running P1165 Air fuel sensor O2 and P0335 Crank sensor appeared. I had no lights on before so he said he'd clear em.

250 miles later, no codes.

10/25/2012 Here is the situation now. I drove to my friends house, put it in park then took a phone call. As im on the phone I heard the car rev so I hungup and watched it, while in park the engine's RPM went all the way up to 3000 and just stood there!

So I shut the car off, called firestone, said dont drive it and to tow it there. So I start it up about 15 minutes later and it didn't do it. In between the 22nd to today the 30th, I have felt the car acting 'funny' by this I mean it almost seems like it is not shifting to how it is supposed to. I was in at a grocery store, started the car, then as I exit the parking lot I had to stop at a stop sign. So I sat there and for no reason I put it in neutral. The car's rpms went up to 2000RPM and I got scared so I put it in drive. Boom, the entire car jerked like the transmission was being screwed with and it went back down to about 1000RPM.

Between the 22nd and 30th, I didn't drive much. The only thing was on the 28th I remember being stuck in traffic because of an accident on a highway. The car's rpm while in drive and foot on the gas went to maybe 1100 and when I'd let go of the brake it was going faster than a usual cruise speed.

any ideas? the lights have not come back on. the firestone guy had revved the engine in neutral last week 4 times. the first two times, it went up normally then as the needle went down, it went slowly down the first two times. the last two times it seemed fine.

What the hell could this be?
Old 10-30-2012, 05:35 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

sounds like the idle air control valve is acting up. Check your throttle position sensors as well.
Old 10-30-2012, 05:59 PM

Sticky throttle cable? Firestone?
Old 10-30-2012, 06:31 PM

I know the Firestones around here are more of a maintenance place rather than a repair shop. All this started after the cleaning? Maybe they broke a lot of stuff loose and it went down into the IACV.
Old 10-30-2012, 07:21 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

first thing was a tune up and fuel injector cleaning. after that it mis-fired everytime i started my car for the next 3 days then the starter had fried. i paid about 395$ for a new starter+labor and i only drove it home. i think it was a couple days when i started noticing it shift differently then that issue with it shooting up to 3000rpm's at startup happend. this is all over the course of maybe ten days with getting the tuneup on day 1

===

so i just watched a youtube video to see what the IACV looks like... the day my starter went, when i would turn the key, the IACV would make an electric humming noise, and the car did nothing. no misfire, no crank, nothing. i didnt know what the IACV was or what it looked like until now.. but my vehicle is not throwing any codes?? is it possible that it is on its way out and hasn't died yet? i read about others with IACV's fried and their car will stall and mine seems to do the opposite. maybe its the computer... sorry everyone im just looking for opinions for some hope and to direct the mechanic when i go tomorrow.

Last edited by cameronl; 10-30-2012 at 07:54 PM.
Old 10-30-2012, 08:10 PM

I had the same thing happen just recently. Fix was replaced IACV and rebuilt ecm by AES for $362.92 for overnight shippping both ways great price fixed problem. hope this helps. I had the exact same problems
Old 10-30-2012, 08:59 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

HYPEsoon - can ya give me exact instructions you did in obtaining the parts cheapest possible? the IACV i know is a throttle body, I might just have to pay the dealer full price for this... but how about did you do the rebuilt ECM? is it a company or somebody on the forum?

i have a few questions for anyone. sorry for my not-much-knowledge, im here to learn as im only 23 and this is my second car. i might be asking stupid questions.

1) i can use 2000 i30 parts in my 2001 correct?
2) can i take a ECM out of a 01 maxima and will infiniti dealership program it?
3) any other useful info before doing this. (id like to know things such as "dont tell infiniti its a maxima ecu or they wont program it)

thanks guys. like i said im going to get it diagnosed officially and post back. it definately sounds like the IACV problem. one thing that doesnt make sense is why is it not producing any codes...
Old 10-30-2012, 09:27 PM

I did research and also looked up reviews and this place called AES automotive electronic solution has a great rating and i sent my ecm in the diagnosed it and rebuilt it and had it to me in 5 days (over the weekend) sent it in thursday got it this past monday. I had a new idle control valve and had no code anymore but they did further investigation and found the chip to relearn the idle was burnt . Call them it cost me 363.92 well worth the price as opposed to 800 dollars. The iacv is not a throttle body but it is sort of apart of it.
Old 10-31-2012, 07:53 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

I tried to goto their website aesmodules.com and it was offline lastnight and this morning. I'll try to google their phone# after the diagnosis at infiniti. thx man!~
Old 10-31-2012, 08:54 AM

Their number is 800-486-0922 extension 5411 for a guy named travis he helped me
Old 10-31-2012, 12:03 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

at infiniti now - man this place looks futuristic! hopefully they tell me all it needs is an idle relearn or something... should know within the hour. i also wrote the # down thx bro
Old 10-31-2012, 01:31 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

here were the results

ECM computer - passed
Idle Air Contol Valve - passed
Electronic Motor Mount - 1 possible shorting

So the tech recommended unplugging the one motor mount because since I have 3 it should be fine. I was informed that if one motor mount fries, it can take everything else with it kind of how if the IACV goes, the ECM and vice versa. I guess if the motor mount fries, then the ECM does, then the IACV.

After the unplug, they did the idle relearn and boom! My car is fine now, gotta love the dealership. They charged me $120.00 for the diagnostic and did the idle for free because its pretty simple for them.
Old 10-31-2012, 07:14 PM

Sounds like a good dealership. Fair advise on unplugging the mount on an eleven yr. old car rather than spending 4-6 hundred on replacing.
Old 10-31-2012, 07:34 PM

Im taking my car to the dealership to relearn my iacv
Old 10-31-2015, 06:43 PM

Originally Posted by cameronl
just looking for feedback.. this is an odd issue and the guys at a local firestone don't even know the exact problem

2001 infiniti i30 - 174k miles (i bought it in jan with 138k LOL)

10/16/2012 I had firestone do a tune-up and clean my fuel injector. the car misfired every time at startup for the next two days and the started ended up getting fried.

10/22/2012 had firestone install a new starter. tech said when he got the car running P1165 Air fuel sensor O2 and P0335 Crank sensor appeared. I had no lights on before so he said he'd clear em.

250 miles later, no codes.

10/25/2012 Here is the situation now. I drove to my friends house, put it in park then took a phone call. As im on the phone I heard the car rev so I hungup and watched it, while in park the engine's RPM went all the way up to 3000 and just stood there!

So I shut the car off, called firestone, said dont drive it and to tow it there. So I start it up about 15 minutes later and it didn't do it. In between the 22nd to today the 30th, I have felt the car acting 'funny' by this I mean it almost seems like it is not shifting to how it is supposed to. I was in at a grocery store, started the car, then as I exit the parking lot I had to stop at a stop sign. So I sat there and for no reason I put it in neutral. The car's rpms went up to 2000RPM and I got scared so I put it in drive. Boom, the entire car jerked like the transmission was being screwed with and it went back down to about 1000RPM.

Between the 22nd and 30th, I didn't drive much. The only thing was on the 28th I remember being stuck in traffic because of an accident on a highway. The car's rpm while in drive and foot on the gas went to maybe 1100 and when I'd let go of the brake it was going faster than a usual cruise speed.

any ideas? the lights have not come back on. the firestone guy had revved the engine in neutral last week 4 times. the first two times, it went up normally then as the needle went down, it went slowly down the first two times. the last two times it seemed fine.

What the hell could this be?

I am having the same issue only I just replaced the IACV and ECM
Old 10-31-2015, 06:47 PM

Originally Posted by HYPEsoon
I had the same thing happen just recently. Fix was replaced IACV and rebuilt ecm by AES for $362.92 for overnight shippping both ways great price fixed problem. hope this helps. I had the exact same problems
Did you have to do the relearning procedure after replacing the IACV and ECM?
I recently replaced both and its running bad...idling funny almost like the transmission but not...