5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

What mods does my 5.5gen have left?

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2012, 12:08 PM

What mods does my 5.5gen have left?

hey guys,
i already have intake, headers, exhaust, kinitex IM, coil overs, big brakes, red samco hoses

I will be adding nwp spacers and torque link in the near future and possibly a sway bar and possibly tune

but what else can i mod to make my car quicker i dont want a UD Pulley cause i have a sound system and i heard its not a good idea to mix the two so is there much more that the maxima can be modded without turbo or supercharging?

all being said what kind of mods are left for our cars?!?!

i dont want to know any aesthetic mods as my car already has rims, window spoiler and spoiler and cf hood
Old 10-08-2012, 12:26 PM
^ Jeff™

Next step is to start building up the engine...cams and such. Though not sure how far into modding you want to get. (difficulty level)
Old 10-08-2012, 12:46 PM

Phenolic Spacers are a must-have on that car. As is the RSB. And I'm sure there are a lot of people here who would strongly urge you to get a piggyback and have your car professionally tuned. There's a wealth of resources here on that topic, although I'm not one of them. Your 5th gen moderator is pretty skilled in that area. So is GrandHustle17, off the top of my head.

However, you're asking what other bolt-ons are worthy for the 6MT, and the answer is solid polyurethane bushings in the engine torque-mounts. Energy Suspension makes a pair. Best mod ever for the 6MT.

While you're at it, replace the banjo bushings in the shifter cable, and the contact bushings under the shifter assembly. After 10 years, they're very likely shot.

Originally Posted by MaxFiyah
red samco hoses

Last edited by Rochester; 10-08-2012 at 12:51 PM.
Old 10-08-2012, 12:57 PM

Definitely look into getting a nice tune...either with a piggyback such as an SAFC-2 or VAFC-2, or depending on how much you want to spend a much better option would be to purchase the Haltech pnp harness kit from SurraTT off of here, you will have much more capabilities tuning wise with that setup (extended rev limiter, timing, etc...).
Old 10-08-2012, 01:09 PM

and to ditch the Kinetix
Old 10-08-2012, 02:17 PM

thanks guys mreous i dont think i would do cams cause its too much work and too much money

rochester sounds like thats a good idea not too familiar with that but sure gonna research now and btw what is a rsb? and dont make fun of my samco hoses! lol jk u can i bought the car with it so i dont really care lol

pimpin02max sounds pretty cool but a quick question would my mpgs go down? or rise? also what kind of power gains do these really get like the max if it is tuned very well?

shocknawe i might sell the kinitex and do the SSIM but i still havent tried it out yet to see how i like it so ima still install it but if i told u how much i paid for the kinitex i think you would buy it also maybe not to use but atleast to sell lol
Old 10-08-2012, 02:26 PM

What type of Intake, Headers and Exhaust do you have, since there might be some upgrades in that part department depending on what you have.....usually a Good Tune will net like 10-20hp in some areas.....
Old 10-08-2012, 02:32 PM

Originally Posted by Rods03Max619
What type of Intake, Headers and Exhaust do you have, since there might be some upgrades in that part department depending on what you have.....usually a Good Tune will net like 10-20hp in some areas.....
o thanks
and i bought the car modded so im not 100percent sure like i asked him and he said the intake is a aem but i dont think it is cause it doesnt look like one no where says aem + it has a spectre air filter which i want to switch to either a k&n filter or i think its called apexi the intake sorta looks home made but i doubt it since this guy threw loads of money into this car
the headers are jim wolf
the exhaust he said is from custommax idk what that is cause i never heard of that and i looked on custommaxima.com to see if i can find the same one but i didnt maybe ill try again it has vibrant exhaust tip ends

the coil overs are tien and it has a dampener that i can control from inside the car they are basically brand new

it also has a front strut bar made by cattman

i get really confused with this y-pipe stuff and cat deletes like its a full exhaust so idk if any of that is possible the pre cat has been deleted but the other one is still present

o yea forgot to add if this helps its a dual exhaust

Last edited by NmexMAX; 01-29-2013 at 06:49 AM.
Old 10-08-2012, 02:39 PM

rochester sounds like thats a good idea not too familiar with that but sure gonna research now and btw what is a rsb? and dont make fun of my samco hoses! lol jk u can i bought the car with it so i dont really care lol
RSB = Rear Sway Bar. You want one of these, even if you don't know it yet.

For the bushings, go here: http://www.energysuspensionparts.com...an+Maxima+2003

...and purchase the shifter bushing kit, the engine torque mount bushings, the frame bushings, and the 23mm front-sway-bar frame bushings. Best $150 in parts you'll ever spend on the car (in parts).

Cattman Ti-bar - lucky guy. What pre-cats? You've got headers. And your red radiator hoses are funny because of the context. Still is.

You've got a lot of research and learning to do. Good luck.

Last edited by Rochester; 10-08-2012 at 02:47 PM.
Old 10-08-2012, 02:44 PM

I suggest weight reduction will give you power throughout the whole RPM range, and maybe a radiator, Underdrive pulley, lightweight fly, stronger clutch, short shifter kit, lightweight wheels etc.
Old 10-08-2012, 02:49 PM

Originally Posted by Rochester
Rear Sway Bar

Go here: http://www.energysuspensionparts.com...an+Maxima+2003

...and purchase the shifter bushing kit, the engine torque mount bushings, the frame bushings, and the 23mm front-sway-bar frame bushings. Best $150 in parts you'll ever spend on the car (in parts).
thanks i think ill be ordering those in the future definitely the shifter bushing kit and the engine torque mount bushing + i want to replace my motor mount anyways cause the front one is starting to go flat.

and i have another question but this doesnt pertain to the car how come you still come on this site even tho i realize you dont own a maxima anymore? thats very cool of you

Originally Posted by VQ30DE-K
I suggest weight reduction will give you power throughout the whole RPM range, and maybe a radiator, Underdrive pulley, lightweight fly, stronger clutch, short shifter kit, lightweight wheels etc.
as in weight reduction i dont know if i want to take out my back seats or take out my subwoofers in the aspect i dont see it worth it unless its track day and i have a spec stage2 clutch and my wheels are super light even tho they are 19s but i was thinking about the short shifter but i do like the feel of my shifter right now. i might consider a lightweight fly but i would have to do more reasearch on that

Last edited by NmexMAX; 01-29-2013 at 06:49 AM.
Old 10-08-2012, 03:03 PM
Banned

Haltec and Surratt Harness with a 09 TB,BOP and then do some dress up SS & Ti Hardware,T bolt clamps a full Led Mod a few CF parts from Paradox and Iconic,illuminated door sills,AE pedals,350z dead pedal,i35 rear sunshade,LR Maf,full ES bushing and Mount upgrade,mishimoto rad,ground kit,and look at your lower rad support!,almost forgot Stillen lip kit and sts mod and red Hella horns for that Manly Sound.. I think i'm thru

Sent from my ****
Old 10-08-2012, 03:07 PM

no 19in wheel is light weight, even forged 19in wheels are pretty darn heavy compared to a 17 or 18". As far as weight reduction, dont bother unless you are going to go ***** to the wall and pull out everything that is not essential to drive it safely. People who pull the backseats out for weight savings......well dont even waste your gas racing them as they must be retarded thinking 30lbs makes a difference in and of itself. Personally I would start with suspension. Makes it a lot more fun to drive no matter how much HP you have. RSB like John recommended is a great start and ES bushings are never a bad thing just lube em up with synthetic grease before the install
Old 10-08-2012, 03:14 PM

and i have another question but this doesnt pertain to the car how come you still come on this site even tho i realize you dont own a maxima anymore? thats very cool of you
Mostly I lurk around because of one or two friends still on the Org. However, there are a few things I've learned about the car where it's easy enough to pay it forward with advice. If the advice is good and appreciated, then all the better. I'm no expert on anything, really... but I did mod my car old Max quite nicely, and I'm still feeling the pride in that.

I would have left long ago, but for a small group of friends on the Org and a particular social thread that got sabotaged by a banned member and a crew of off-topic mods, which was really weird, but not uncommon. The Org is filled with trolls and insecure personalities, so it's best to just get what you can out of it without taking things too seriously, regardless of member status.

These days I just bounce in and out and comment when the mood strikes, or if the jokes are too good to pass up.
Old 10-08-2012, 03:16 PM

Originally Posted by ShocknAwe
no 19in wheel is light weight, even forged 19in wheels are pretty darn heavy compared to a 17 or 18". As far as weight reduction, dont bother unless you are going to go ***** to the wall and pull out everything that is not essential to drive it safely. People who pull the backseats out for weight savings......well dont even waste your gas racing them as they must be retarded thinking 30lbs makes a difference in and of itself. Personally I would start with suspension. Makes it a lot more fun to drive no matter how much HP you have. RSB like John recommended is a great start and ES bushings are never a bad thing just lube em up with synthetic grease before the install
thats true but i compared the 19 to my stock wheel well its a 2005 maxima wheel cause the 03 wont fit due to my big brake kit and the 05 max wheel feels like 10 pounds heavier i was like woah! and lol at your weight savings yea i dont want to take out my spare tire to save 25 pounds and yea i already on coilovers with dampeners and yea i will probably do the rsb and the bushings i got so many great advice from you guys. also even tho 19inch wheels weigh down our cars i really want to buy g37 rims or g35 rays or altima se-r wheels but i cant find se-r wheels even tho the se-r would be the best for speed lol.
Old 10-08-2012, 03:18 PM

Originally Posted by cjandura
Haltec and Surratt Harness with a 09 TB,BOP
The OP has a Kinetix IM... there is no VIAS to delete.

Whether or not that Kinetix is worth the cost and effort is another point entirely, but it's what's there, so be it.
Old 10-08-2012, 03:19 PM

Mostly I lurk around because of one or two friends still on the Org. However, there are a few things I've learned about the car where it's easy enough to pay it forward with advice. If the advice is good and appreciated, then all the better. I'm no expert on anything, really... but I did mod my car old Max quite nicely, and I'm still feeling the pride in that.

I would have left long ago, but for a small group of friends on the Org and a particular social thread that got sabotaged by a banned member and a crew of off-topic mods, which was really weird, but not uncommon. The Org is filled with trolls and insecure personalities, so it's best to just get what you can out of it without taking things too seriously, regardless of member status.

These days I just bounce in and out and comment when the mood strikes, or if the jokes are too good to pass up.
nice and yeah you helped me alot today and yea i saw pics of your max when i was roaming around the site it looks nice! and yea some people have nasty attitudes for no reasons on here sometimes lol

The OP has a Kinetix IM... there is no VIAS to delete.

Whether or not that Kinetix is worth the cost and effort is another point entirely, but it's what's there, so be it.
i guess i minus well tell how much i got my kinitex for -____- lol it was sorta like a combo i got a set of 05 maxima wheels with good summer tires and the kinitex for only 300 bucks. i feel like people are thinking im a dummy for getting the kinitex hahahah

Haltec and Surratt Harness with a 09 TB,BOP and then do some dress up SS & Ti Hardware,T bolt clamps a full Led Mod a few CF parts from Paradox and Iconic,illuminated door sills,AE pedals,350z dead pedal,i35 rear sunshade,LR Maf,full ES bushing and Mount upgrade,mishimoto rad,ground kit,and look at your lower rad support!,almost forgot Stillen lip kit and sts mod and red Hella horns for that Manly Sound.. I think i'm thru

Sent from my ****
lol i prob look at the radiator and the ground kit and the bushings and mounts but idk about the rest lol unless i get them for a super good deal i want to get a stillen lip but first i have to buy a stock bumper hoping to sooner or later find a sterling mist one so i dont have to paint and i have a cf hood and the door things already illuminate the past owner went nuts on mods so i have to watch out cause i dont have his full mod list i dont want to order some stuff thats been changed cause there was a few things i found that was modded in a good way tho

Last edited by NmexMAX; 01-29-2013 at 06:50 AM.
Old 10-08-2012, 03:28 PM
Banned

Go back to oe manifold and put it like this how much weight did the bbk add?and do you think lighter weight wheels compensate

Sent from my ****
Old 10-08-2012, 03:31 PM

o thanks
and i bought the car modded so im not 100percent sure like i asked him and he said the intake is a aem but i dont think it is cause it doesnt look like one no where says aem + it has a spectre air filter which i want to switch to either a k&n filter or i think its called apexi the intake sorta looks home made but i doubt it since this guy threw loads of money into this car
the headers are jim wolf
the exhaust he said is from custommax idk what that is cause i never heard of that and i looked on custommaxima.com to see if i can find the same one but i didnt maybe ill try again it has vibrant exhaust tip ends

the coil overs are tien and it has a dampener that i can control from inside the car they are basically brand new

it also has a front strut bar made by cattman

i get really confused with this y-pipe stuff and cat deletes like its a full exhaust so idk if any of that is possible the pre cat has been deleted but the other one is still present
You got any pics of the engine bay or the HEADERS...JIM WOLF doesnt make Headers for our Cars, there is Cattman, OBXs and the ebay Shorties, or Custom.....
Old 10-08-2012, 03:33 PM

honestly im not sure what you mean by a bbk and lighter wheels not much cause i heard the rule of thumb is 12 pounds per horsepower lost or horsepower gained

Originally Posted by Rods03Max619
You got any pics of the engine bay or the HEADERS...JIM WOLF doesnt make Headers for our Cars, there is Cattman, OBXs and the ebay Shorties, or Custom.....
omg loool he told me jim wolf thanks alot ill take pics soon but i sure hope its not ebay lol but i doubt it cause all the parts this past owner used is high quality such as tien, stainless steel brake company big brakes, ect. i sorta hope its not obx either -_-

Last edited by NmexMAX; 01-29-2013 at 06:51 AM.
Old 10-08-2012, 04:13 PM

as in weight reduction i dont know if i want to take out my back seats or take out my subwoofers in the aspect i dont see it worth it unless its track day and i have a spec stage2 clutch and my wheels are super light even tho they are 19s but i was thinking about the short shifter but i do like the feel of my shifter right now. i might consider a lightweight fly but i would have to do more reasearch on that
for fly you can go with either fidanza or I think competition clutch or clutchmaster and a lsd would not hurt if u got the money, anyway, for weight reduction, you could gut the trunk and put manual seats on the front, and dont get me wrong your wheels might be light but weight them anyway with tires. Ex. G35 sedan 17x7.5 6 spoke wheel with Falken V rated 225/50/17 tire weighs around 42lbs, every pound at the wheels really matter! at least to me
Old 10-08-2012, 04:19 PM

for fly you can go with either fidanza or I think competition clutch or clutchmaster and a lsd would not hurt if u got the money, anyway, for weight reduction, you could gut the trunk and put manual seats on the front, and dont get me wrong your wheels might be light but weight them anyway with tires. Ex. G35 sedan 17x7.5 6 spoke wheel with Falken V rated 225/50/17 tire weighs around 42lbs, every pound at the wheels really matter! at least to me
yea the rims i have with a tire is lighter with tire compare to my 05 rim with tires and yea im not gonna do lsd even if i had the money cause if so id get a spec-v and throw a maxima engine in it sounds like a better use for speed. lol
Old 10-08-2012, 04:29 PM

yea the rims i have with a tire is lighter with tire compare to my 05 rim with tires and yea im not gonna do lsd even if i had the money cause if so id get a spec-v and throw a maxima engine in it sounds like a better use for speed. lol
I see your point, but you do know that 04-06 6speed maximas all had lsd, and had 4.1 fd, and i believe its a direct swap with lsd axles, but to swap a 3.5 into a sentra would require some modifications etc.
Old 10-08-2012, 04:40 PM

yea i hear you very good argument i just dont see it being worth it lol but if my tranny ever fails i will def get a lsd trans
Old 10-08-2012, 05:16 PM

thats true but i compared the 19 to my stock wheel well its a 2005 maxima wheel cause the 03 wont fit due to my big brake kit and the 05 max wheel feels like 10 pounds heavier i was like woah! and lol at your weight savings yea i dont want to take out my spare tire to save 25 pounds and yea i already on coilovers with dampeners and yea i will probably do the rsb and the bushings i got so many great advice from you guys. also even tho 19inch wheels weigh down our cars i really want to buy g37 rims or g35 rays or altima se-r wheels but i cant find se-r wheels even tho the se-r would be the best for speed lol.
OEM wheels are by far the strongest wheels
Old 10-08-2012, 05:21 PM

^^??

EDIT: OP is the king of run on sentences.
Old 10-08-2012, 05:29 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by tigersharkdude
^^??

But I am the KING of mindless Babble!

I see your point, but you do know that 04-06 6speed maximas all had lsd, and had 4.1 fd, and i believe its a direct swap with lsd axles, but to swap a 3.5 into a sentra would require some modifications etc.
you sir have a lot to learn.

Last edited by NmexMAX; 01-29-2013 at 06:52 AM.
Old 10-08-2012, 06:03 PM

and to ditch the Kinetix

But I am the KING of bacon buffets!
Well.. you do have a point there.

Last edited by NmexMAX; 01-29-2013 at 06:52 AM.
Old 10-08-2012, 06:04 PM

^^??

lmaooo run on sentences >.< im actually pretty good at writing but yea lol
Old 10-08-2012, 06:20 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by AznRyan
Well.. you do have a point there.
Old 10-08-2012, 06:38 PM

OEM wheels are by far the strongest wheels
no 19in wheel is light weight, even forged 19in wheels are pretty darn heavy compared to a 17 or 18".
Painfully IGNANT!!!!!
Old 10-08-2012, 06:38 PM

Cobra Kitty needs no sword, only true Kung Fu!

..but that won't stop me from eating it later!
Old 10-08-2012, 06:50 PM

Originally Posted by TunerMaxima3000
Painfully IGNANT!!!!!
Old 10-09-2012, 02:57 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by AznRyan

Cobra Kitty needs no sword, only true Kung Fu!

..but that won't stop me from eating it later![/
your typing out loud again!! people are gonna fing out about your snacking habits
Old 10-09-2012, 03:58 PM

the car will remain a under achiver speed wise as long as u have that system in the trunk
Old 10-09-2012, 04:08 PM

Originally Posted by datdude20
the car will remain a under achiver speed wise as long as u have that system in the trunk
its only around 20 pound 3 8inch subs
Old 10-09-2012, 08:51 PM
Toolie

Don't forget to replace the upper mounts with Wrayth polyurethane mounts to complement the Es lower torque mounts.

/shameless plug
Old 10-10-2012, 07:07 AM

Originally Posted by knight_yyz
Don't forget to replace the upper mounts with Wrayth polyurethane mounts to complement the Es lower torque mounts.

/shameless plug
i will is installantion easy or does it need a mechanic to do?
Old 10-10-2012, 07:26 AM

its only around 20 pound 3 8inch subs
three 20lb subs =60lbs
box for three 8's =atleast 30lbs
amp and other misc. hardware =10lbs

thats ~100lbs
Old 10-10-2012, 07:38 AM

three 20lb subs =60lbs
box for three 8's =atleast 30lbs
amp and other misc. hardware =10lbs

thats ~100lbs
Yesterday I purchased two 50 pound bags of driveway cold-patch, transported in my G's trunk, and I can tell you... 100 lbs is a lot of weight.

Ow, my back.

Quick Reply: What mods does my 5.5gen have left?