5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

where is this oil leaking from?

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2012, 08:29 AM

where is this oil leaking from?

So I checked my oil this morning and it was not even showing up on the dipstick. I checked it 500 miles ago and it was fine. I went to walmart and got 2 quarts. When I put one quart in (at walmart parking lot) i noticed a half a quart on the ground under the filter pretty much.

Now, I remember reading about the o-ring but never such a severe leak. I also noticed the pipe going to the filter (not sure what it is but it looks easy to replace) has a slow and steady drip but nothing that would just drop out oil.

Weird part is I just put in another quart with that side jacked up and nothing came out! Maybe because its not level?

I have a pic but I cannoy upload it until late tonight. I think I explained it well enough that a pic is not needed anyways. Thanks in advance for the input.
Old 08-13-2012, 10:46 AM
Get Off My Lawn

Without a pic I'm inclined to agree with your assessment.

For better confirmation, you can jack up the car, jack stand it, and start the car. Observe where the flow comes from. There are several things in that area that can leak motor oil (oil filter ring, oil cooler, crank seal, oil pan, and power steering hoses).

When working on the oil cooler, I always suggest replacing the o-ring with both styles. There have been a couple guys who report even their new o-ring failing. So, when I fixed mine, I found both styles (one smaller/ one larger) would fit. I added just a touch of black silicone gasket maker and let it fully dry before starting the car. Perfect since.
Old 08-13-2012, 11:15 AM
ATL

just do a standard oil change and check for anything out of the norm, and leaks afterwards. the filter or drain plug may not be snugged up or something. i highly doubt the oil filter gasket doubled up, bc that is MESSY!!!! it happened on my mustang once, cranked it, within 3 seconds there was a gallon of oil all over the garage wall. oil came between the gaskets at around 50-60 psi and sprayed onto the electric fan, which slung it across the garage IMMEDIATELY
Old 08-13-2012, 11:39 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

It may well be the oil cooler O ring, or it might simply be the threaded pipe that holds both the oil cooler to the block and also serves as the threaded attachment for the filter is loose. Depending upon your mileage you may want to consider just changing the O ring anyway and snug it all up..if the pipe you were referring to is the one which attaches to the oil cooler base, it contains coolant rather than oil so you're likely seeing oil which has run down from wherever the leak is rather than a coolant leak from the pipe itself.
Old 08-13-2012, 11:48 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

when ever i am trying to find an oil leak, i bring the car to a car wash and thoroughly steam clean the engine bay of all leaks and debris. Than, raise the car, start it up and observe where the oil is coming from.

If you say that you had oil on the floor immediatly after putting in the oil, i'm thinking maybe you missed the oil fill hole and oil ran down the block onto the floor.

or

rusty oil pan, it will drip oil right away.

either way, be very careful not to kill your engine by running it with out oil.
Old 08-13-2012, 01:29 PM

Thanks for all the responses.

I did not miss when filling the oil. I had a funnel. Idk about the drain pan idea because then it would have leaked the second time I added oil with the car raised on that side. I think I will replace the o-ring and see what happens. I will also clean the area and check more closely for the leaks.

On a ****ty note. That pipe may be leaking coolant too. Luckily it looks super easy to replace. I will be checking this all first thing tomorrow morning.
Old 08-13-2012, 01:42 PM

here's a thought, which coincides w/ your post..it could very well be the o-ring/gasket from the old oil filter. i didnt know my old one was still on and it was leakin oil. this was on my integra way back. but from that point on i always try to make sure the old gasket is on the filter before i put the new one on
Old 08-13-2012, 03:36 PM

^ Good idea but I changed the oil about 2200 miles ago. Idk if I would be more relieved or embarassed if that was the case, though.
Old 08-13-2012, 03:38 PM
Get Off My Lawn

But is why I mentioned the oil filter itself. Rare, but especially if the gasket is paper, they can leak.
Old 08-13-2012, 03:40 PM

I use the nissan filters. I do not think they are paper and they are cheaper than fram at walmart. I suppose if I do not see anything obvious, a standard oil change will be my next step.
Old 08-13-2012, 03:45 PM

Originally Posted by phatboislim
here's a thought, which coincides w/ your post..it could very well be the o-ring/gasket from the old oil filter. i didnt know my old one was still on and it was leakin oil. this was on my integra way back. but from that point on i always try to make sure the old gasket is on the filter before i put the new one on
Make sense and you should check it, except if this was the issue you wouldn't have an oil leak, the pressure that builds up would cause it to spray oil all over your engine apartment. I happened to me once and I thought my engine was a gonna until I got to my mechanic and he found the extra gasket in the oil filter. But I won't hurt to check it
Old 08-14-2012, 04:14 AM

not necessarily...i only had a leak because of the extra rubber 'gasket' ring that was left from the old, removed oil filter.
Old 08-14-2012, 07:46 AM

So I checked for leaks. First, I did a visual check with the car off and level. Then with the car running and level. NOTHING. So I added oil to make it read good on the dipstick. Then I started looking around the top of the dipstick and noticed that the engine cover has fresh oil on the back of it. AND there is tons of oil buildup around the dipstick. I removed the engine cover to find that the front coils are practically drowning in oil.

This whole time I thought I burned a lot of oil but it may be that I burn some and leak a lot.

So now I have more questions. Where are all these leaks likely located? My car makes some fairly loud and steady ticking, is this because I let this problem go for so long? btw the car has 125k on it. I have owned it since 60k.

Last edited by 2damax; 08-14-2012 at 07:49 AM.
Old 08-14-2012, 01:25 PM

No common areas this could be coming from? I mean, I am sure the RVC is one that needs to be replaced but would that make all this oil on the front plugs too?
Old 08-14-2012, 01:46 PM

Your picture didn't show up but from your description it sounds like you have leaky valve covers...if this is the case you should replace them with 2004 maxima valve covers which are a much cheaper and better design. I know the 04 rear valve cover will fit the 5.5 gens I am not sure about the front. I would wait for others to confirm this.

That will help with your oil leak problem and also let you know if you still loosing oil in other locations, whether it be a leak or burning oil.
Old 08-14-2012, 02:04 PM
Get Off My Lawn

I seem to recall the front fits as well. I suggest a quick advanced search though if no one immediately responds.

I can absolutely confirm rear fits.
Old 08-14-2012, 02:14 PM

Front and rears both fit. I think there is a current thread that said this. Never seen a write up for the front but Im sure I will find something. I cannot believe I let it get this bad without noticing.

Btw the pic showed up on my PC but not my phone. Sorry biut that.
Old 08-14-2012, 07:53 PM

I can confirm that both front and rear fit because that is what I have installed for years now.