5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Need Some Input From Those Who Live In The Colder Areas And Run Coilovers

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2012, 11:58 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Need Some Input From Those Who Live In The Colder Areas And Run Coilovers

So I live near Boston and I have had my Illumina/Eibach combo on for about 80k miles now. They have taken a beating and I have taken a beating too.

They were fine when I lived in the suburbs but now that I'm close to the city it bangs over bumps and I subconsciously know every big bump on every road I drive and adjust accordingly which is just a plain pain in the ***.

In other areas that have ****ty roads I plain cannot drive the car. I wont even bring it into boston, and after having driven through some parts of New York I'm not even sure the car would survive parts of it.

I'm a little sick of it all. This car needs suspension travel in a bad way so I'm either thinking of trowing the stock suspension back on or going with coilovers (not even sure they are going to be able to take the punishment through 4 seasons). I have coilovers with 500lb springs on my rx7 and it rides WAY better than the Maxima. Its deff a suspension travel issue.

So Any feedback about longevity and ride from those that live in snowy areas with frost heaves or just terrible roads in general. I wont be dropping my car more than an inch, maybe an inch and a half at most. I don't want the car slammed as I need enough ground clearence to get around, I can already scrape the front of the car, or the exhaust around town if I'm not paying attention. Also once I set it, I'm not going to be playing around with it. So I have no need to slam it in the summer

The car will be used potentially for business trips too so it needs to be comforable if I was picking up a client.

I think you get the idea.

Thanks in advance for your insight
Old 08-06-2012, 03:06 AM
Toolie

I've read a lot of info on the subject. Different forums give different answers. I would say 50% will say you will be ok, and the other half will say don't do it. IIRC the bc coilovers. Website says its ok as long as you coat them with some sort of anti corrosion or rust inhibitor.
Old 08-13-2012, 05:02 AM
Suspension Yoda

It's the Eibachs. Switch to H&R's and enjoy the ride
Old 08-13-2012, 07:13 AM

Eibachs are harsh springs, i had them and HATED them. Performance was meh, my car on H&Rs is just all round better, much more predictable and rides quite comfortably.

BC or Tein coilovers would be the best choice honestly. Those are both very comfortable riding coilovers plus you can adjust the height to whatever you please. If you drive your car hard a lot i would go with the BC as the will perform alittle better but if DDing is your main concern Tien>>>>BCs, they have a solid proven track record.