5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

What's the name of this part I need to buy?

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2012, 02:05 AM

What's the name of this part I need to buy?

Battery drained dye to my brake lights staying on when the car was turned off, I heard it's a little rubber piece that goes between the brake pedal and another pedal that stops this from happening. What's the name of the part? Thanks
Old 07-26-2012, 02:09 AM
Please. Call me John. I insist

Could be brake light switch...
Old 07-26-2012, 03:43 AM

Lol I hope it's not that easy, guy told me a rubber piece broke off and it was in pieces on the ground.
Old 07-26-2012, 04:01 AM

Not sure, maybe 46512 - Maxima stopper - rubber

http://www.courtesyparts.com/maxima-...2052_2058.html
Old 07-26-2012, 06:44 AM

It's a rubber stopper, they are inexpensive, I had to that on my 3rd gen and let me tell ya, it was a PITA!!
Old 07-26-2012, 06:47 AM

My old Accord did that, you can stick a rolled up piece of paper/cardboard in until you can get the part
Old 07-26-2012, 03:42 PM

Yeah I'm gonna try this when I get home.
Old 07-27-2012, 05:46 PM

Bought the part, asked the mechanic to put it on, he did but he said my old one is good, however it's a small amount of rubber on the ground, he said it may be the brake switch or something like that... oh no....

I didn't make him change it but maybe I should have just made him change the part for me.
Old 07-27-2012, 06:36 PM

I think there is two though?? Might be wrong, one for brake, one for cruise control? Maybe he looked at the wrong one
Old 07-27-2012, 08:46 PM

On my '93 Accord, my battery would keep on dying, which turns out was b/c the brake lights were staying on all the time. There was also broken plastic parts on the driver side floor mat that I wanna say resembled a small washer (this is a few years back and lots of pot ago).

The mechanic told me a temporary fix, which I did, and the brake light worked as it was supposed to. I rolled up cardboard (from a cigarette pack, seemed to work best) to about a tic tac-sized piece, and stuck it in the hole (giggity)

If you get on your back and look up, you should be able to follow the brake pedal and see where it goes (if Max's and Accords are similar at all, where the brake pedal is concerned).
Old 07-27-2012, 08:48 PM

Btw, the above "fix" isn't permanent. The cardboard will fray/get mashed from use, but it'll work for a few days at least, until you can find the part you need.
Old 07-27-2012, 10:01 PM
I can has?

Permanent fix:

M8x1.50 x 25mm (or so) Bolt + Nut.

1. Depress brake pedal with hand.

2. Insert bolt through brake pedal bracket so head of bolt faces rear of car.
2a. Release brake pedal with hand.

3. Brake pedal will automatically apply pressure/ squeeze bolt head between brake pedal bracket and stoplight switch plunger.

4. Apply nut to other side of bolt/ tighten.

5. Profit?

If you really wanted to get fancy you could buy a rubber vacuum cap variety pack and wrap the head of the bolt in it to act as a bushing.
Old 07-27-2012, 10:43 PM

Yep brake light switch usally a new one come with a rubber stop it inexpensive to get however getting under the dash is indeed PITA
Old 07-27-2012, 11:49 PM

Originally Posted by Scott LaRock
Battery drained dye to my brake lights staying on when the car was turned off, I heard it's a little rubber piece that goes between the brake pedal and another pedal that stops this from happening. What's the name of the part? Thanks
Brake stop button! Man I've replaced 3 this month on Nissans.....Junkyard any Nissan!
Old 07-28-2012, 10:25 AM

Can't find it on my own, is it somewhere around the area in the pic?

Old 07-28-2012, 10:33 AM

Originally Posted by 03VQMAX
I think there is two though?? Might be wrong, one for brake, one for cruise control? Maybe he looked at the wrong one
I only see one, that's with the little brown plastic part sticking out of the top of it... this is indeed a pita though.... don't even see the other one.
Old 07-28-2012, 03:49 PM

Bump
Old 07-28-2012, 11:43 PM

unplug the one that turns the brake light off....and either replace the switch or install a new button:

Name:  Photo-0192.jpg
Views: 169
Size:  58.6 KB
Old 07-29-2012, 11:43 AM

Look at the brake pedal. Follow it upwards and you will see a flat piece of metal welded to the shaft like a letter T. On each end of that flat metal piece is (or should be) a plastic bumper like in the photo CMax03 posted. One side is for the stop lights, the other side is for the cruise control. In the photo you posted it should be right at the bottom edge of the photo, touching the switch.
Old 07-29-2012, 01:43 PM

Switch is bad. Just did this.
Old 07-29-2012, 04:26 PM

what's the name of the part? brake switch? I'm trying to get it on rockauto.
Old 07-29-2012, 05:47 PM

Originally Posted by Pearl93VE
Permanent fix:

M8x1.50 x 25mm (or so) Bolt + Nut.

1. Depress brake pedal with hand.

2. Insert bolt through brake pedal bracket so head of bolt faces rear of car.
2a. Release brake pedal with hand.

3. Brake pedal will automatically apply pressure/ squeeze bolt head between brake pedal bracket and stoplight switch plunger.

4. Apply nut to other side of bolt/ tighten.

5. Profit?

If you really wanted to get fancy you could buy a rubber vacuum cap variety pack and wrap the head of the bolt in it to act as a bushing.

did this method on every single car i had that had this problem

never came back with the same issue
Old 08-05-2022, 06:34 PM

Hey, count me in! I'm having the "Rubber Stopper" problem.

Are all "Rubber Stopper - Nissan #46512" the same?
The note at Courtesy Nissan says "Please Note: The outer diameter of this part is 0.70" (7/10") and the thickness is 0.19". This fitment will matter for some brake and clutch pedal applications.Please call or email us with your VIN to verify that this par..."

Got broken pieces of black rubber in the footwell? You may not have brake lights staying on until the rubber stopper is completely gone. I think this has disabled my Cruise Control too.
Instead of leaving the brake lights shining overnight to weaken your battery, just pull the fuse and deal with it later. Car turned 22 this year so I guess that is the life limit on the brake pedal rubber stopper longevity.

Instead of using a nut and bolt to fix it, I think I will go with an OEM rubber stopper.
Figure the OEM part is designed to "be kind" to the brake light switch plunger.

Thanks
Old 08-06-2022, 07:16 AM

Originally Posted by Harquebus
Hey, count me in! I'm having the "Rubber Stopper" problem.

The note at Courtesy Nissan says "Please Note: The outer diameter of this part is 0.70" (7/10") and the thickness is 0.19". This fitment will matter for some brake and clutch pedal applications.Please call or email us with your VIN to verify that this par..."

Got broken pieces of black rubber in the footwell? You may not have brake lights staying on until the rubber stopper is completely gone. I think this has disabled my Cruise Control too.
Instead of leaving the brake lights shining overnight to weaken your battery, just pull the fuse and deal with it later. Car turned 22 this year so I guess that is the life limit on the brake pedal rubber stopper longevity.

Instead of using a nut and bolt to fix it, I think I will go with an OEM rubber stopper.
Figure the OEM part is designed to "be kind" to the brake light switch plunger.

Thanks
My car wouldn't start because of the same part. The same part is needed on the clutch pedal to activate the clutch safety switch. Cars were so much more fun without a clutch safety switch. When I was a kid, I used to love putting my old man's 1965 Chevy pickup in gear and pushing the starter button. It lurched forward about foot or two. It was better than the mechanical horsey at the dime store and it was free!
Old 08-07-2022, 11:03 PM

I forgot to mention I have a manual transmission; M/T.

Originally Posted by 2002SEMT
My car wouldn't start because of the same part. The same part is needed on the clutch pedal to activate the clutch safety switch. Cars were so much more fun without a clutch safety switch. When I was a kid, I used to love putting my old man's 1965 Chevy pickup in gear and pushing the starter button. It lurched forward about foot or two. It was better than the mechanical horsey at the dime store and it was free!
It is quite a lurch but showcases the mighty torque of the lowly starter motor.

At this point I expect there to be a "hack" for the clutch safety switch. Have you or anyone bypassed it? Yes, I could search for it but what a tedious chore.

...I noticed while I was under there that there are a total of FOUR locations for a rubber stopper on both the clutch and brake pedal. I think mine are finally all gone, I forgot to take note to be sure. It's nuts.
And like you said, one for the clutch safety switch (clutch pushed in) and one at the other extreme (clutch engaged/at rest). I have no idea what the latter one is for.
Old 08-08-2022, 12:11 AM

the brake pedal has 2 switches, one is for the brake light and the other is for other functions that need a brake switch....

I just use an M8 bolt and nut.

might be a good time to change the one on the gas pedal. when the green gas pedal one comes off the engine will not accelerate at all. I'm guessing the ECU wants the pedal sensor voltage at a certain point when pedal isn't pressed... the one for he gas pedal is same as the ones for the brake switch. don't go looking for a gas pedal one because the dealer will try selling you a whole new gas pedal assembly. Nissan's part catalog doesn't show a part number for the one used for the gas pedal that is green but a regular brake one works

Last edited by uptownsamcv; 08-08-2022 at 12:14 AM.
Old 08-08-2022, 12:22 PM

Originally Posted by uptownsamcv
the brake pedal has 2 switches, one is for the brake light and the other is for other functions that need a brake switch....

I just use an M8 bolt and nut.

might be a good time to change the one on the gas pedal. when the green gas pedal one comes off the engine will not accelerate at all. I'm guessing the ECU wants the pedal sensor voltage at a certain point when pedal isn't pressed... the one for he gas pedal is same as the ones for the brake switch. don't go looking for a gas pedal one because the dealer will try selling you a whole new gas pedal assembly. Nissan's part catalog doesn't show a part number for the one used for the gas pedal that is green but a regular brake one works
Oh sheesh. I didn't even think to check the third pedal (accelerator). Thanks for the heads up!

EDIT: Just checked the accelerator pedal. There is no rubber stopper on the accelerator that is connected to any switch. My M/T 2000 Maxima SE manufactured in March 2000 has no switch on the accelerator, just a penny-sized rubber pad that the pedal arms rests against, I guess to stop metal-on-metal noises.

I'm getting ready to order some of these rubber stoppers but I need some part numbers or I fear what I get will fit the brake pedal and not the clutch, or vice versa.

Last edited by Harquebus; 08-08-2022 at 03:25 PM. Reason: No switch on gas pedal
Old 08-08-2022, 11:46 PM

Oh sheesh. I didn't even think to check the third pedal (accelerator). Thanks for the heads up!

EDIT: Just checked the accelerator pedal. There is no rubber stopper on the accelerator that is connected to any switch. My M/T 2000 Maxima SE manufactured in March 2000 has no switch on the accelerator, just a penny-sized rubber pad that the pedal arms rests against, I guess to stop metal-on-metal noises.

I'm getting ready to order some of these rubber stoppers but I need some part numbers or I fear what I get will fit the brake pedal and not the clutch, or vice versa.

if the stopper on the gas pedal falls out your throttle body will stop responding,

even though there is no switch, that rubber stopper puts the gas pedal n the right spot for the ECU to be happy and allow the throttle body to respond when you press the gas pedal....
Old 08-10-2022, 07:00 AM

they are inexpensive, I had to that on my 3rd gen and let me tell ya, it was a PITA!!

Last edited by The Wizard; 11-02-2022 at 09:31 PM.
Old 08-10-2022, 07:47 AM

use M8 bolts and nuts for the brake and clutch pedal switch.

use the rubber stopper from Nissan for the gas pedal, even though the gas pedal has no switch it needs the stopper to put it in the perfect position when the pedal is not being pressed. the system is real finicky.

Old 08-23-2022, 11:38 PM

The note at Courtesy Nissan says "Please Note: The outer diameter of this part is 0.70" (7/10") and the thickness is 0.19". This fitment will matter for some brake and clutch pedal applications.
Please call or email us with your VIN to verify that this par..."
There's some confusion on the part numbers. I looked at several threads here. Is the correct rubber stopper for a 5th Gen Maxima begin with "46512" or "46584"?
A search for "46512" at Courtesy Parts in Texas yields results of both "46512" and "46854". 46584 is described there as a replacement for 46512. Both have different suffix numbers
adding to the confusion.
I did not know which was which because I was left with just black fragments of the old stoppers. And would the replacements be identical in color?

I ordered two 46584-S0100 Rubber Stopper because they were cheapest at $2.93 each.
I also ordered two 46584-5P010 Rubber Stopper $8.88 each.

The brake pedal stoppers are black and are part number 46584-5P010.
I put the larger clear 46584-S0100 on the clutch pedal to engage the clutch safety switch; it was gone and starting became difficult.
Luckily the hole for the clutch pedal stopper was not directly over the switch, so you could still start it if you pressed hard.
Both black and the larger clear one will probably work interchangeably because the peg part that fits in the holes is 8.8 mm on both*.

This was a major pain in the **** to install these! You think you have to install them on your back with your head in the footwell, looking up,
and that you need three hands to get it done. No, there's no room under there for a head and two arms, at least for a Hibernian Brobdingnagian like me.

I removed the lower part of the dash under the steering wheel to assist. I used the FSM here: https://www.nicoclub.com/service-man...F2000%2Fbt.pdf
It doesn't show very well but there's two Philips screws at the extreme left and right at the bottom of the dash panel, and then you can pry it off because it is held on with
metal friction 'wedge' clips.

HOW TO INSTALL:
With the lower dash removed, you can kneel on the ground outside the car and lean over facing forward to install the rubber stoppers. You can see through the area that was
previously blocked by the panel and see the brake light and cruise control switches and where the stoppers go. Or you can just feel your way around.
1. Turn the car on so you can relieve the brake pressure and then depress the brake pedal with the palm of your hand.
2. Use your other hand to place the stopper into position
3. Now release the pressure on the brake and pull it forward against the stopper and it will seat itself. It pops right into place.
4. Repeat for both stoppers. Et voilą!

I did all this for the giggles. If there's a next time, I will use nuts and bolts like others have suggested but I like the idea of a rubber stopper under there being gentler on the switch
than metal. Plus since this is 2022 and 2/3rds of all drivers are distracted and playing with themselves, I customarily tap-tap-tappy-tap my brakes to warn them I'm stopping, and
that puts extra stress on the switch.

*The large clear stopper 46584-S0100 is 17.9mm in diameter, 8.8mm on the peg and almost 5mm thick on the engaging surface.
The black stopper 46584-5P010 is 15mm in diameter, 8.8mm on the peg and 3mm thick.

Last edited by Harquebus; 08-23-2022 at 11:41 PM.