5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Time for upgrades, can anyone help?

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2012, 12:32 PM

Time for upgrades, can anyone help?

Just bought a new 2k Max a couple months ago and once I sell my other car I will be using that money on some new rims and other things.

1) What are some good quality wheels that aren't real expensive but still somewhat light? I'm looking to spend about $1200 on a set of wheels and tires.

2) What are good tires? This subject I'm not too educated in. I've done some research and still couldn't figure out what's a good tire for me. I'm not looking to go extremely low pro but something that'll have a good lifespan.

3) I saw a lot of people going with Tokico Illuminas and I've been back and forth between those two and I'm leaning towards the Illuminas. What would be a good spring for them? I saw Eibach pop up a lot and Tein h techs. Still looking to keep as close to a comfortable and smooth ride as possible.

Any links that I missed would be helpful if they answer any of the questions!
Old 07-06-2012, 12:57 PM

Lots of opinions on everything you have asked. A lot comes down to personal preference and that you will only likely be able to determine once you research the hell out of everything.

My only thought overall is keep your eyes open on the org classified section as well as Kijiji/Craigslist. You may find something you like at a fraction of the cost of brand new. Rims especially are one of those items that people grow tired of and change fairly often.
Old 07-06-2012, 01:01 PM

Go with OEM Infiniti Wheels...they are good quality and not too expensive....

Tires: Falken Ziex is grippy but if you beat on it, you'll change it in 2 years.

I have KYB GR2 + H-tech. Ride comfort is identical to stock except tigher at corner.
Old 07-06-2012, 01:27 PM

Originally Posted by ateick
Lots of opinions on everything you have asked. A lot comes down to personal preference and that you will only likely be able to determine once you research the hell out of everything.

My only thought overall is keep your eyes open on the org classified section as well as Kijiji/Craigslist. You may find something you like at a fraction of the cost of brand new. Rims especially are one of those items that people grow tired of and change fairly often.
That's why I tried to give my best idea of what I wanted. I've been looking on Craigslist for wheels and did see some good deals I'll definitely keep that in mind. I'm just hoping to get a general idea of what to look at to eliminate some options.
Originally Posted by MSU2000
Go with OEM Infiniti Wheels...they are good quality and not too expensive....

Tires: Falken Ziex is grippy but if you beat on it, you'll change it in 2 years.

I have KYB GR2 + H-tech. Ride comfort is identical to stock except tigher at corner.
I've looked at a few Infiniti rims before and have taken that into consideration. Are most of them 5-114? And how much of drop is your set up and how long have you had them on?
Old 07-06-2012, 08:12 PM

Originally Posted by Shift_Burger
I've looked at a few Infiniti rims before and have taken that into consideration. Are most of them 5-114? And how much of drop is your set up and how long have you had them on?

Infiniti OEM rims are heavy, if you want to go with lightweight - it will be either 350z Tack v1 rims or aftermarket wheels, btw - there is a nice set in classifieds section right now.

Starting 07-08 350-370Z rims and also Infiniti rims require another lug nuts, but they are 5x114.3 and fit, just have to check offsets.

As far as suspension goes - a set of Illuminas plus some good aftermarket springs would run for the same price as decent coilovers, but they got privilege - you can lower your car to any level and bring it up the same way. People say that shocks/springs are mostly softer.

Last edited by shaks; 07-06-2012 at 08:14 PM.
Old 07-06-2012, 08:45 PM

Originally Posted by shaks
Infiniti OEM rims are heavy, if you want to go with lightweight - it will be either 350z Tack v1 rims or aftermarket wheels, btw - there is a nice set in classifieds section right now.

Starting 07-08 350-370Z rims and also Infiniti rims require another lug nuts, but they are 5x114.3 and fit, just have to check offsets.

As far as suspension goes - a set of Illuminas plus some good aftermarket springs would run for the same price as decent coilovers, but they got privilege - you can lower your car to any level and bring it up the same way. People say that shocks/springs are mostly softer.
Agreed. 350Z Track wheels look great on the Maxima and they're fairly lightweight. Otherwise, go with aftermarket if lightweight is what you're looking for.

Suspension - Get coilovers. You will be able to fine tune them to fit your exact driving/ride style, and you can always change it if you decide you want a different feel. And if you get a set that is rebuildable, then I think you actually save in the long run over a standard strut/spring combo.

Tires is a bit tricky. Yokohama makes some great street tires, but they don't last as long as some others. Michelin typically offers great ride quality, comfort, and tire left, but they're not as grippy. Bridgestone is a pretty good balance, albeit a bit pricey and the tire life is just average. Goodyear Eagle's are some of the best all around tires I've ever had on any car. They offer excellent grip, good wet traction, good tire life, and pretty decent ride quality. They are a bit expensive though, but if you're willing to splurge a bit, I can highly recommend them. It really depends on what your budget is, and what kind of grip/comfort/tire life balance you want. Just pay attention to the UTQG rating for each tire you look at. It will give you a decent idea of what to expect from it as far as life and traction are concerned.

Hope that helps.

-Nathan
Old 07-07-2012, 07:17 AM

Old 07-07-2012, 09:58 AM

Ya get dome nice Nissan/Infiniti factory wheels.

I just put on a set of continental extreme contact dws and oulf be happier...
Old 07-07-2012, 10:32 AM

WTF is "oulf"? LOL
Old 07-07-2012, 10:41 AM

Originally Posted by shaks

Hmm ok I'll keep that in mind and when I finally decide what route I'm going I'll come back and figure out what I need. I've heard a lot of good things about the Illuminas and I think that's what I'll go with. Seems worth the money.
Originally Posted by dfj240
Agreed. 350Z Track wheels look great on the Maxima and they're fairly lightweight. Otherwise, go with aftermarket if lightweight is what you're looking for.

Suspension - Get coilovers. You will be able to fine tune them to fit your exact driving/ride style, and you can always change it if you decide you want a different feel. And if you get a set that is rebuildable, then I think you actually save in the long run over a standard strut/spring combo.

Tires is a bit tricky. Yokohama makes some great street tires, but they don't last as long as some others. Michelin typically offers great ride quality, comfort, and tire left, but they're not as grippy. Bridgestone is a pretty good balance, albeit a bit pricey and the tire life is just average. Goodyear Eagle's are some of the best all around tires I've ever had on any car. They offer excellent grip, good wet traction, good tire life, and pretty decent ride quality. They are a bit expensive though, but if you're willing to splurge a bit, I can highly recommend them. It really depends on what your budget is, and what kind of grip/comfort/tire life balance you want. Just pay attention to the UTQG rating for each tire you look at. It will give you a decent idea of what to expect from it as far as life and traction are concerned.

Hope that helps.

-Nathan
Thanks Nathan! Yeah I don't know much about tires and haven't had the time to narrow down my choices and figure out what's the best. I wouldn't really mind splurging a bit more from the sounds of the Eagles. I know the whole harder tire - longer life - not as comfy. softer tire - shorter life - smoother ride. I'm definitely all in for a long lasting tire much like anyone else but maybe not sacrifice too much comfort in the long run. Something that meets halfway.
Originally Posted by Grand_hustle17
aw man..
Originally Posted by DavefromCA
Ya get dome nice Nissan/Infiniti factory wheels.

I just put on a set of continental extreme contact dws and oulf be happier...
I'm still on the fence as far as going Nissan/Infiniti or aftermarket. Tough choice. How's the ride with the Continentals? Also, how long are they said to last?
Old 07-07-2012, 12:10 PM

1) Pretty much its your personal preference. If you don't want to spend a lot, go with OEM wheels. They are everywhere.

2) I recommend Achilles ATR Sport.

3) Coilovers.
Old 07-08-2012, 10:38 AM

Originally Posted by Shift_A32B
1) Pretty much its your personal preference. If you don't want to spend a lot, go with OEM wheels. They are everywhere.

2) I recommend Achilles ATR Sport.

3) Coilovers.
I'm really leaning towards the Illuminas just because they're cheaper than Tein SS coils. For a little bit I was gonna go Tokico blues but for a little bit more than $100 I can get the Illumina's and have the adjustment to play with. Thanks for the tire recommendation! I'll put those on the list too.
As for wheels I'm going to need to do some looking around still. I kinda like the idea of the 350z/g35 wheels but also want to stay on the lightweight side.
Old 07-08-2012, 06:50 PM

I'm really leaning towards the Illuminas just because they're cheaper than Tein SS coils. For a little bit I was gonna go Tokico blues but for a little bit more than $100 I can get the Illumina's and have the adjustment to play with. Thanks for the tire recommendation! I'll put those on the list too.
As for wheels I'm going to need to do some looking around still. I kinda like the idea of the 350z/g35 wheels but also want to stay on the lightweight side.
How about some BC Coils they are about 9 and some change, Achilles ATR sport got those right now, and they are pretty DAMN Good....
Old 07-08-2012, 07:13 PM

Originally Posted by dfj240
WTF is "oulf"? LOL
Perhaps it was a misspelled and meant "aloof"
Old 07-09-2012, 08:14 AM
Suspension Yoda

http://forums.maxima.org/5th-generat...on-thread.html
Old 07-16-2012, 01:39 PM

Originally Posted by Rods03Max619
How about some BC Coils they are about 9 and some change, Achilles ATR sport got those right now, and they are pretty DAMN Good....
They don't have Achilles ATR's on tire rack but how is the ride with the BC coils?
Originally Posted by T_Behr904
Perhaps it was a misspelled and meant "aloof"
I've been pondering this every time I visit this thread and can't figure out what it is. Only thing that makes sense is 'you'll'...
Awesome, thanks! This is very helpful, I'll be skimming through this a lot
Old 07-16-2012, 01:43 PM

Also, I came across these:
http://www.tirerack.com/wheels/Wheel...All&sort=Brand

I like these a lot and would 20lbs be considered heavy? I know lightweight rims can be like around 17 pounds but 20 isn't as bad as some others I have seen. Would I need spacers if I went with the 18X8?
Old 07-16-2012, 01:56 PM
Suspension Yoda

Depends on the offset of the wheel. 18x8 is fairly standard.

I would take one thing at a time though. You have a classic case of "I have a new car and want to mod it like hell" ambition
Old 07-16-2012, 01:57 PM

Originally Posted by djfrestyl
Depends on the offset of the wheel. 18x8 is fairly standard.

I would take one thing at a time though. You have a classic case of "I have a new car and want to mod it like hell" ambition
Just google'd it real quick and came up with the offset as being 40.
Old 07-17-2012, 12:32 AM

Just google'd it real quick and came up with the offset as being 40.
for the back to sit flush, you would need somewhere in the ballpark of a 20mm spacer, and the fronts maybe a 5mm spacer.
Old 07-20-2012, 02:55 PM

Originally Posted by Mr. Blue Sky
for the back to sit flush, you would need somewhere in the ballpark of a 20mm spacer, and the fronts maybe a 5mm spacer.
I'm assuming you mean flush with the fender?
Would I need them right away? For instance; would the tire rub on the springs at all if I didn't get the spacers at the time I put on the new wheels?

Last edited by Shift_Burger; 07-20-2012 at 03:02 PM.
Old 07-30-2012, 10:21 AM

Bump on account of whether or not I would need spacers right away or will I be ok?
Old 07-30-2012, 10:39 AM

you wouldn't need spacers at all...as OEM maxima offsets are 42 to 45 iirc. You'd only do spacers if you want the tires to sit flush with the side of the fender.
Old 07-30-2012, 11:09 AM

Originally Posted by Amerikaner83
you wouldn't need spacers at all...as OEM maxima offsets are 42 to 45 iirc. You'd only do spacers if you want the tires to sit flush with the side of the fender.
Ok good that's less money I have to splurge at once. I just wanted to make sure and didn't want to start a new thread just for that one simple question.
Old 07-30-2012, 12:47 PM

Sorry for being such a noob but would it make a difference if my OEM rims are 16" x 6.5" and the ones I am purchasing are 18" x 7.5" or 8"?
Old 07-30-2012, 01:05 PM

Sorry for being such a noob but would it make a difference if my OEM rims are 16" x 6.5" and the ones I am purchasing are 18" x 7.5" or 8"?
This is the point where you go into the "wheels and tires" section of teh forums, grab a notebook and a pencil, and start taking notes.

It's all dependent upon the offset, height, and tire size. Some wide 18" wheels will rub with one tire and not with another (tire size=important)
Old 07-30-2012, 01:07 PM

Originally Posted by Amerikaner83
This is the point where you go into the "wheels and tires" section of teh forums, grab a notebook and a pencil, and start taking notes.

It's all dependent upon the offset, height, and tire size. Some wide 18" wheels will rub with one tire and not with another (tire size=important)
Got it, will do. Maybe I'll just go 7.5" then. Thanks for the info.
Old 07-31-2012, 05:31 AM
Suspension Yoda

That's not the right approach.

8" wide wheels can fit, as long as the offset is correct.