5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Help?

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2012, 05:31 PM

Help?

Well guys, I've been lurking on here for a while and am back with more issues

I now have a 03 SE 6MT and haven't had many problems with it until recently.

1. My fuel gauge is reading half way full when in reality there isn't any gas in the tank (died on me twice on 2 diff highways).

2. There's a hole in the flex pipe on the y-pipe so my damn car sounds like a fart cannon and I don't have as much power as I used to

3. For some reason, my oil levels keep dropping. When I got the car (May 1st), I didn't remember to do an oil change, and just changed it recently and haven't had any probs with it yet.

My prob right now is that idk what to do:

1. Already replaced the fuel level sensor with an OEM one and still had the damn car die out on me on the highway. I heard that a gauge replacement might do the trick, but the problem is that the stealership wants me to shell out $800 for one... And I can't afford to waste money on a used one and still have it have the same issue as my current.

2. I'm thinking about replacing the y-pipe, but it'd be better not to go with an OEM replacement, but rather something along the lines of OBX/Cattman. And I was thinking: instead of just replacing the y-pipe, why not just do the headers and y-pipe for a lil bit more. Problem there is I can't find anyone that sells OBX, and Cattman is too expensive for me to afford (19 years old, on my way to working 3 jobs, and still have no money to spare out)...

3. My oil level was so low last week, that I was hearing a clutter and I got a SES for P0011, P0022 and P0455. The first two I'm guessing were from not changing the oil, but idk what to do bout the 0455.

Now before I get flamed, just know that I'm looking for some advice and a lil guidance on what I can do with my situation. If that's too much to ask for, then I apologize for wasting your time.

Thanks in advance.
Old 06-24-2012, 05:33 PM

Originally Posted by ViRTualTeRRoRisT
Well guys, I've been lurking on here for a while and am back with more issues

I now have a 03 SE 6MT and haven't had many problems with it until recently.

1. My fuel gauge is reading half way full when in reality there isn't any gas in the tank (died on me twice on 2 diff highways).

2. There's a hole in the flex pipe on the y-pipe so my damn car sounds like a fart cannon and I don't have as much power as I used to

3. For some reason, my oil levels keep dropping. When I got the car (May 1st), I didn't remember to do an oil change, and just changed it recently and haven't had any probs with it yet.

My prob right now is that idk what to do:

1. Already replaced the fuel level sensor with an OEM one and still had the damn car die out on me on the highway. I heard that a gauge replacement might do the trick, but the problem is that the stealership wants me to shell out $800 for one... And I can't afford to waste money on a used one and still have it have the same issue as my current.

2. I'm thinking about replacing the y-pipe, but it'd be better not to go with an OEM replacement, but rather something along the lines of OBX/Cattman. And I was thinking: instead of just replacing the y-pipe, why not just do the headers and y-pipe for a lil bit more. Problem there is I can't find anyone that sells OBX, and Cattman is too expensive for me to afford (19 years old, on my way to working 3 jobs, and still have no money to spare out)...

3. My oil level was so low last week, that I was hearing a clutter and I got a SES for P0011, P0022 and P0455. The first two I'm guessing were from not changing the oil, but idk what to do bout the 0455.

Now before I get flamed, just know that I'm looking for some advice and a lil guidance on what I can do with my situation. If that's too much to ask for, then I apologize for wasting your time.

Thanks in advance.
I hate to be blunt, but if your oil levels keep dropping, it's time for a new motor. Do some research on 5.5 gen (2002-2003 VQ35) Oil Burning.
Old 06-24-2012, 05:35 PM

1. It's not a waste of money if you buy a used gauge cluster and it fixes the problem. If it's a gauge cluster problem and you want it fixed, you'll have to buy it, or steal it, or just learn to live with it and use your trip meter and monitor how much fuel you put in to avoid running out of gas.

Try to avoid running out of gas again. It's very hard on your fuel pump because your fuel pump relies on gasoline to cool it, and it may clog your fuel filter and hurt your catalytic converters.

2. Go to an exhaust shop and see if they can keep everything intact, but replace just the flex section. This should help you save money. Better yet, to save more money, consider downsizing cars, maybe to a smaller car since Maximas are very heavy on gasoline and parts are more expensive. You are still very young and if you keep working hard, you can eventually own cars nicer than a Maxima.

3. These engines tend to burn oil with age. It's essential you check the oil level weekly, and add when needed. One quirk about Maxima engines is that you need to let the car sit on level ground for 10-15 minutes (preferably overnight) to get a dipstick reading.

Last edited by Will; 06-24-2012 at 05:37 PM.
Old 06-24-2012, 05:59 PM

Originally Posted by dared3vil0
I hate to be blunt, but if your oil levels keep dropping, it's time for a new motor. Do some research on 5.5 gen (2002-2003 VQ35) Oil Burning.
Yeah, I've heard and read up on it a lot, but I'm just hoping I don't have to resort to that.
Originally Posted by Will
1. It's not a waste of money if you buy a used gauge cluster and it fixes the problem. If it's a gauge cluster problem and you want it fixed, you'll have to buy it, or steal it, or just learn to live with it and use your trip meter and monitor how much fuel you put in to avoid running out of gas.

Try to avoid running out of gas again. It's very hard on your fuel pump because your fuel pump relies on gasoline to cool it, and it may clog your fuel filter and hurt your catalytic converters.

2. Go to an exhaust shop and see if they can keep everything intact, but replace just the flex section. This should help you save money. Better yet, to save more money, consider downsizing cars, maybe to a smaller car since Maximas are very heavy on gasoline and parts are more expensive. You are still very young and if you keep working hard, you can eventually own cars nicer than a Maxima.

3. These engines tend to burn oil with age. It's essential you check the oil level weekly, and add when needed. One quirk about Maxima engines is that you need to let the car sit on level ground for 10-15 minutes (preferably overnight) to get a dipstick reading.
1. I'm just worried that the cluster that I buy will also have the same issue. That's all I was trying to say with that, but you've got a point.

2. I went to a shop and was quoted $300 for just cutting and welding another flex on there. I did a lil research and found that I could just get a OE replacement y-pipe for half that price. It'll both be newer and it's a job that I can do myself.

3. Yeah, I forgot to mention that I have 165k on the clock. It's a high mileage car.

I really appreciate your advice on getting a smaller car, but I'm really in love with Maxima's. I can't really find any other cars that have the power I want with all the options I can ask for. Ever since I was a kid and saw my older bro get his first Max, I've been a huge fan and have always wanted one. First car was an 01 SE 4AT and now this one. I like doing as much of the work on it as I physically can. My problem is the fact that my resources are limited. I can't really find any other car that is easy on gas, has decent amounts of power, and is a Nissan... Call me ignorant, but I don't like/trust too many other car manufacturers.
Old 06-24-2012, 06:05 PM

^ I understand, as I've only ever owned Maximas and was in love with them at your age too.

The car still needs to be fixed. Best recommendation I have is to live with the bad cluster for now since it isn't urgent, just a nuisance. Just reset the trip meter each time, and if you know you use 3 gallons of gasoline for every 60 miles, just pump in 6 gallons and make a note to put gas again once you drive 110-120 miles.

For the flex pipe, shop around. Ask your friends' parents or neighbours for mechanic recommendations, and try to find a place that does exhaust work under the table for cash. It seems logical to get a new pipe, but let me tell you, if you live in the east coast where you get winters, all the flange bolts will probably be rusted, and may end up causing more labour and grief for the mechanic. Just get the flex replaced.....$300 is too much, many exhaust shops I know where I am in Canada do it for much less.

For your oil burning, check the oil level religiously at least once a week, depending on how much you drive. Put in some Lucas Oil Stabilizer if you have to to reduce oil burning.

Last edited by Will; 06-24-2012 at 06:07 PM.
Old 06-24-2012, 06:10 PM

Oh yeah, that was another thing I was wondering about. I've read up on the Lucas Fuel Stabilizer and I've seen opinions go on it both ways. Some say put it in and others say oil is enough.