5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

torque link for front engine mount

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2012, 08:34 PM

torque link for front engine mount

are there torque links made available for the front engine mount or has anyone made one and ran with it for a while?

how do you like it?

i see there is one for the F.R. mount to the frame rail.

i decided to make one for the front mount, and im actually happy with it. shifting is more crisp, accelleration is quicker and it seems to react alot quicker when reapplying gas from cruising.

is there any long-term issues that could arise from doing this? i can feel some vibration but nothing major. i actually kinda like the minor vibration that it gives off.

and should i bother unplugging my electronic motor mount or just leave it plugged in?
Old 06-10-2012, 08:51 PM
Get Off My Lawn

You're talking about the one near the radiator, on the cross member? I only know of either installing ES (pretty sure ES) bushing in the manual front mount. A manual mount will replace the electric mount off an auto car.
Only other thing I've seen done is to buy your own polyurethane and pour into into a gutted mount to firm it up.

I'd like to see picks of what you've done.

Regarding your mount, if it's working and
Assuming its not busted and leaking like mine was, I would still recommend unplugging it and eventually replacing it with a $30 unit off eBay.

I don't know of any issues running a torgue link on the crossmember. However, IMHO, Nissan had not choice but to go with a mount at the front of the engine to control engine movement and support some weight. The older 3rd gens are notorious for breaking cross members, especially on modded and hard run cars. I would only be assuming to say adding increased stiffness at the crossmember may increase stress and could cause additional fatigue and cracking. But, I'm basing that only on what I've seen in the 3rd gens. I'd stick with a torque link design or Wrayth mount replacement for the front engine mount and replace the front crossmember mount with a manual one.
Old 06-10-2012, 11:36 PM

ES mounts work nice on mine! the NWP torque mount works well also.
Old 06-11-2012, 06:53 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by user name001
are there torque links made available for the front engine mount or has anyone made one and ran with it for a while?

how do you like it?

i see there is one for the F.R. mount to the frame rail.

i decided to make one for the front mount, and im actually happy with it. shifting is more crisp, accelleration is quicker and it seems to react alot quicker when reapplying gas from cruising.

is there any long-term issues that could arise from doing this? i can feel some vibration but nothing major. i actually kinda like the minor vibration that it gives off.

and should i bother unplugging my electronic motor mount or just leave it plugged in?
http://www.nwpengineering.com/Phenol...tml#TorqueLink

Old 06-11-2012, 08:59 AM

yes i saw write-ups on this nwp torque link, but this is for the passenger side mount. i actually made one previous to this one for that mount but didnt notice that much of a difference. the es bushing and manaul mount was on my list but i might end up sticking with this. the one thats in there i made/installed in 20 mins. ill probably remake one and take my time so it looks decent. this one is pretty ugly haha. but i really like the feel of the car now.

what chrisgregg said kinda worries me with the crossmember being work hardened over time and cracking . i guess ill take it easy for a bit and see what happens.

how do i upload pics?

Old 06-11-2012, 09:57 AM
Get Off My Lawn

Either use Photobucket (free) or your Myspace/Facebook account. Right click on properties, copy link, then paste into your message. In order for it to be visable within the post, you must put [img] before and [/img] after the link.

The fact that these engines do have a third mount on the passenger side as well as many people who are running stiffer crossmember mounts, suggests you could be fine.

I am curious of other input though, especially some guys who seem to know how to calculate force and energy dispersion/absorption and such. Beyond me.