5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Will a 4th Gen exhaust fit 5th gen?

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2012, 07:08 PM

Will a 4th Gen exhaust fit 5th gen?

I did a searched and only could find this question about 5th gen on 4th. I have a 00' Max Se and need a new exhaust at a cheap price (just had a new daughter 5 weeks ago) I was looking at the Ebay stainless y-pipe and headers for $180, a magnaflow universal cat for $80, and a cheap ebay stainless catback for $125. Most i find say 95-99, but some say 95-01. So my question is will the 4th gen fit the 5th? i know this sounds cheap and like a ricer but its strictly to be an upgrade from my pieced together exhaust with not cat and rusted manifold.
Old 04-29-2012, 07:34 PM

http://www.ebay.com/itm/00-MAXIMA-SR...3f58e6&vxp=mtr

I'd personally opt for the dual exit muffler, much, much less ricey than that POS, but a touch more in cost:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/MAXIMA-CATBA...e25fe2&vxp=mtr
Old 04-29-2012, 07:44 PM

This cannon is dirt cheap, if you dont care about the tips. I'm gonna try one using the stock muffler

http://item.mobileweb.ebay.com/viewi...id=92193085201
Old 04-29-2012, 07:45 PM

well for looks and then reason of appearing less ricey i was going to buy http://www.ebay.com/itm/330683627247...84.m1436.l2649 and weld that on after hacking the muffler off the catback.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/220953858985...84.m1436.l2649 y-pipe
http://www.ebay.com/itm/110825544759...84.m1436.l2649 cat
http://www.ebay.com/itm/00-01-02-03-...bfafdf&vxp=mtr catback

are these viable decent options that will work? i dont want to completely waste my money on a bunch of junk.

Last edited by NmexMAX; 04-30-2012 at 12:53 PM.
Old 04-30-2012, 05:26 AM

Originally Posted by tac8998
are these viable decent options that will work? i dont want to completely waste my money on a bunch or junk.
As TunerMaxima3000 suggested. The SR*S Type-RE is probably the best quality/sound available in a low priced exhaust system. All the info you need is in this post.
http://forums.maxima.org/5th-generat...ml#post8249660
Old 04-30-2012, 05:36 AM

Originally Posted by BobPezz
As TunerMaxima3000 suggested. The SR*S Type-RE is probably the best quality/sound available in a low priced exhaust system. All the info you need is in this post.
http://forums.maxima.org/5th-generat...ml#post8249660
how about the headers and y-pipe?
Also i was wondering if the car converter im looking at will even work.

Last edited by tac8998; 04-30-2012 at 05:41 AM.
Old 04-30-2012, 06:43 AM

how about the headers and y-pipe?
Also i was wondering if the car converter im looking at will even work.
There's so many options for that it can't be answered in 1 solution. I.E. OEM Manifolds &/or Gutted Pre-Cats &/or aftermarket equal/unequal length Y-Pipes. Shorty Headers/Y-Pipe, Long Tube Headers/Y-Pipe, & all kinds of HF Cats. YOU have to decide what fits your budget & how extensively you want to mod the car. My best advice, DO SOME RESEARCH & PLAN AHEAD. Also BEWARE of ALL claims without substantiating data I.E. Dyno/Track info. If it smells 'fishy' it probably is, like a 100MPG carburetor. Caveat Emptor!

Last edited by BobPezz; 04-30-2012 at 06:46 AM.
Old 04-30-2012, 07:44 AM

http://www.ebay.com/itm/220953858985...84.m1436.l2649 Any thought on whether these are worth the $170?
Old 04-30-2012, 09:06 AM

Dude, WTF, if you're expecting to get a cat-back for under $180 you're high off your a$$.

If you want to be that cheap go steal one from the wreckers, it'll be better than anything you can buy under $200 anyways.

Name:  cheep.jpg
Views: 299
Size:  63.3 KB
Name:  cheep.jpg
Views: 299
Size:  63.3 KB
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
cheep.jpg (63.3 KB, 124 views)
Old 04-30-2012, 09:16 AM

Any need for being a dink about it? i dont think i asked for a smarta$$ just an opinion, maybe something constructive. I just had a baby 5 weeks ago money is tight. The catback isnt even my main concern, i was wondering more about the headers and if they would work till i can save some money for a better (more expensive) long term fix.
At the moment im trying to make something work for around $400 front to back. i dont much care about name brand, just something to get me through a year or so. I know its not much at all, dont really need the obvious pointed out. I posted links to what i was looking at possibly buying for now. Will it work for now is all i need to know. Im not much of a car mechanic, sorry if the questions sound dumb (they may be)

Last edited by tac8998; 04-30-2012 at 09:23 AM.
Old 04-30-2012, 10:23 AM

http://www.ebay.com/itm/220953858985...84.m1436.l2649 Any thought on whether these are worth the $170?
BTW; They're $120, you might get them cheaper too. But for the hassle of installing cheap shorty headers/y-pipe w/questionable quality/fitment. You'd do better with OEM manifolds & a quality aftermarket y-pipe i.e. Warpspeed.
Old 04-30-2012, 10:40 AM
Banned

your going to need this pipe from Kaleco.com to convert the 4th to 5th gen exhaust.and pick up some hi-temp blinker fluid while your at it!

Old 04-30-2012, 10:58 AM

Originally Posted by cjandura
your going to need this pipe from Kaleco.com to convert the 4th to 5th gen exhaust.and pick up some hi-temp blinker fluid while your at it!
Hell of a comedian...I appreciate your trying to help me out Bobpezz.

Last edited by tac8998; 04-30-2012 at 11:05 AM.
Old 04-30-2012, 11:15 AM

Hell of a comedian...I appreciate your trying to help me out Bobpezz.
'CJ' is cool, with a warped sense of humor! So's 'Tuner' but some of us have more patience than others. "You wouldn't like me when I'm mad" either!
Old 04-30-2012, 11:33 AM

Any need for being a dink about it? i dont think i asked for a smarta$$ just an opinion, maybe something constructive. I just had a baby 5 weeks ago money is tight. The catback isnt even my main concern, i was wondering more about the headers and if they would work till i can save some money for a better (more expensive) long term fix.
At the moment im trying to make something work for around $400 front to back. i dont much care about name brand, just something to get me through a year or so. I know its not much at all, dont really need the obvious pointed out. I posted links to what i was looking at possibly buying for now. Will it work for now is all i need to know. Im not much of a car mechanic, sorry if the questions sound dumb (they may be)
well come on bro, under 200 is a insanely cheap price. You already received numerous constructive links and suggestions, mine included as one of hte first.

I think you should re-read this:

I just had a baby 5 weeks ago money is tight. The catback isnt even my main concern, i was wondering more about the headers and if they would work till i can save some money for a better (more expensive) long term fix.
Perhaps, you're just confused. I'll assume so. Because if you're saying your money is tight, yet you're considering buying headers when there's not likely anything wrong with your stock manifolds......

if your exhaust is leaking/rotten, then fix only what needs to be fixed for now until you can get enough money together for a full replacement. In the meantime research what one is best for you both in cost and quality/sound.

You asked for cheap exhaust, you got that linked numerous times. If you want/wanted something else, you simply had to ask....
Old 04-30-2012, 11:45 AM

my stock manifold is rusted to the point it should be replaced. so i was just gonna get those while i was at it. I should explain that as of now i already have a straight piece of pipe going from my flexpipe back, then its pieced together. My friend did a hackjob quickfix after my exhaust broke and fell off from my cat-back. so its a straight pipe, no cat, pieced together to a cheap ebay dual tip remus style muffler. I havent spent the money cause i had to invest in a bunch of baby stuff. Im now at the point i want to try to fix my car from being obnoxiously loud when my daughter is riding with me. Im thinking even a Universal Magnaflow cat will vastly improve my situation.
Old 04-30-2012, 11:49 AM

headers will make your car louder. If you are trying to fix it so it's quieter understand that these options are all going to make your exhaust considerably louder than stock.

I'm also a HUGE supporter of the "you get what you pay for" motto. I been down the dirt cheap road. It's always dirt cheap the first time, the second, third and even 4th.
Old 04-30-2012, 11:58 AM

My advice would be get a good quality Y. Maybe luck out and find someone selling a Cattman. Do you know if you are cali or fed spec? It matter and has to do with o2 sensors and how many of them you have or don't have. Anyways, shorty headers simply don't perform that much better than stock. The point of headers is to expell as much exhaust gasses from the combustion chamber as possible so it can fully fill up again and you get the best explosion/performance possible. Shorty headers still have a large amount of backpressure and cannot expell all of the gasses much more efficiently than the stockers(I have stockers at the moment). For headers to really perform they have to be long tube design and those are inherently more expensive to make/produce. So get yourself a good quality Y or get the cheap y/header set that sells everywhere. However, headers are HARD to install yourself with hand tools. If your going to pay to have it installed then thats even more reason to not get the cheap ones. Quality Y's will perform nearly the same but the cheapo's wont last you more than a year whereas I have a second hand Cattman and it probably looks the same as it did day 1. Those are really the only things you need to think about. Tuner and others posted your best options, middle of the road deals.
Old 04-30-2012, 11:58 AM

Its REALLY REALLY loud now lol. i think i have been steered away from those option and now im thinking about just buying a cat converter. I only wanted the catback for the piping back to the muffler. Any helpful ideas? Anyone have anything for sale?
Thanks alot ShocknAwe. Appreciatee it.

Last edited by tac8998; 04-30-2012 at 12:02 PM.
Old 04-30-2012, 12:02 PM

my stock manifold is rusted to the point it should be replaced. so i was just gonna get those while i was at it. I should explain that as of now i already have a straight piece of pipe going from my flexpipe back, then its pieced together. My friend did a hackjob quickfix after my exhaust broke and fell off from my cat-back. so its a straight pipe, no cat, pieced together to a cheap ebay dual tip remus style muffler. I havent spent the money cause i had to invest in a bunch of baby stuff. Im now at the point i want to try to fix my car from being obnoxiously loud when my daughter is riding with me. Im thinking even a Universal Magnaflow cat will vastly improve my situation.
A high flow cat wont change the tone much and yields little to no HP unless your stock cat is horribly inefficient. Also, thunderbolt uses the same brick as Magnaflow and is cheaper if you must get one. Hearing more about your situation, I would advise you to get a quality Y and a quality resonator(biggest you can find and that will fit). That will make the tone more pleasing. The stock resonator is the best for keeping it quiet but the exhaust tone sounds weird once you change other aspects of the exhaust. A quality muffler will also avoid drone and the loudness most people hate
Old 04-30-2012, 12:06 PM

Originally Posted by ShocknAwe
A high flow cat wont change the tone much and yields little to no HP unless your stock cat is horribly inefficient. Also, thunderbolt uses the same brick as Magnaflow and is cheaper if you must get one.
I have no cat at all at the moment. so yeah mines pretty inefficient lol. im in a pretty crummy pricy situation i think.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/160787679990...84.m1436.l2649
anything worth buying?
Id like to get a used Cattman catback and warpspeed ypipe. but I still need to get a cat.

Last edited by tac8998; 04-30-2012 at 12:15 PM.
Old 04-30-2012, 12:25 PM

I have no cat at all at the moment. so yeah mines pretty inefficient lol. im in a pretty crummy pricy situation i think.

anything worth buying?
Id like to get a used Cattman catback and warpspeed ypipe. but I still need to get a cat.
If you can find a test pipe to use instead of a cat you can always do that. It's not technically the right way but it will fit the space a cat would normally be in. Not sure what state you are in but that can also fail inspection, not just a smog test but also a visual that your cat is there and working.
Old 04-30-2012, 12:29 PM

Originally Posted by merovi
If you can find a test pipe to use instead of a cat you can always do that. It's not technically the right way but it will fit the space a cat would normally be in. Not sure what state you are in but that can also fail inspection, not just a smog test but also a visual that your cat is there and working.
I have one i bought 8 months ago and never used. thats another reason the ebay stuff was my first thought cause thats where i got the test pipe.
Old 04-30-2012, 12:29 PM

Like he said you need a cat to pass emission's, I dont know if thats an issue for you. I see now, yes the HFC will tone it down a little from a test pipe. If you have $400 to spend and you can do the work yourself, you are fine. Take my advice and your tone as well as HP will improve. You WILL regret it if you get that Ebay header/Y set. The only thing it is good for is looks which the chinese seem to think, and possibly rightly so, is the only thing that Americans care about. BTW, a test pipe is hard to mess up thats why you were happy with it
Old 04-30-2012, 12:34 PM

Its not on my car cause im not happy with the test pipe. Just a long piece of 2.25" pipe all the way back to the muffler
Old 04-30-2012, 12:49 PM

anything worth buying?
I find it pretty unusual that the OEM manifolds are rusted THAT bad. They're cast iron and pretty thick walled. If indeed it's the manifold rotting out then the $120 EZ-SET shortys & Y-pipe are probably the cheapest option, but don't expect good quality/fitment. Are you talking about pre-cats or OEM y-pipe, that's another story. Then a good quality aftermarket Y-Pipe is the way to go. Is the car Fed or Cal spec, another factor. The SR*S Catback is the best budget exhaust system choice. As far as a converter there's lots of cheap direct fits w/ceramic substrate cores that won't last. The best budget suggestion I can give is this;
http://www.mandrelbendingsolutions.c...High%2C/Detail
Probably the most reasonably priced metallic substrate converter available. On good authority, MBS products are good quality, has reputable customer service & should be able to set up the universal cat w/flanges etc. for direct fit with a minimal charge.

Last edited by BobPezz; 04-30-2012 at 12:58 PM.
Old 04-30-2012, 05:54 PM

It seems to be a theme lately, I'm with BobPezz on this. There's no way your stock exhaust manifolds are rusted and causing this problem.

I think what's really going on is your Pre-cats and y-pipe are rotten, and yo'ure confusing those components for your headers.

Some food for thought, serious, serious thought, any exhaust leak will enter the car. IT WILL, you may not notice it, but it could be detrimental to a small child (your beautiful new daughter).

Get it fixed bro, fuak the cost, she's worth it. This might include getting a free assessment from your local muffler chain on what ACTUALLY needs replaced. ie. Ypipe-back (this is the most likely case, that you need a y-pipe and everything else, but the EXHAUST MANIFOLDS are probably just fine)
Old 04-30-2012, 06:31 PM

Thanks alot for all the help guys i really really appreciate it. I think im going to get a new y pipe and a cat. then let my local muffler shop take a look at it. If anyone has a ypipe or anything or that nature for sale please pm me.
Old 04-30-2012, 08:36 PM

Thanks alot for all the help guys i really really appreciate it. I think im going to get a new y pipe and a cat. then let my local muffler shop take a look at it. If anyone has a ypipe or anything or that nature for sale please pm me.
Here's my best guess on prices for all new parts;

Haggle with the SR*S dealer(Nistang Power), you should be able to get the system for about $300 w/shipping included.

A Stainless Warpspeed Y-Pipe will run you about $275, Aluminized steel $200 shipping is $15 IIRC.

The MBS metallic converter is $100 plus what they might charge to make it bolt on, figure $50 max.
That puts it in the same price range as a Magnaflow ceramic converter that's not as good as a metallic unit.

An economical long lasting, good quality 100% stainless steel, full exhaust system for roughly $750.
To cost less than that, you get questionable quality parts &/or cheap aluminized steel that rusts out in no time.
Old 04-30-2012, 11:41 PM
RR5

Nobody pointed out it's worth checking the 5th gen classified forum? Either post a Want To Buy or check the for sale threads. However understand shipping exhaust components is expensive. Check with local salvage yards, spend the money to get quality parts which will fit properly the FIRST TIME. Plus you can rust-proof it.