5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Infiniti now says the G35 will have 260 hp

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2002, 07:40 PM

Infiniti now says the G35 will have 260 hp

and 260 lb/ft of torque at 4800 rpm. It will have a 5-speed auto transmission with a manual shift mode. No mention of a 6-speed.

I just got an email from Infiniti titled, "Updating. The all-new Infiniti 2003 G35", which allowed access to a slide show on the G35.
Old 01-03-2002, 08:06 PM

I don't get it

for the 35 grand this car is going to cost it should have the same output as the Z. Oh well I was interested until this info and the lack of a manual.
Old 01-03-2002, 08:39 PM

Re: I don't get it

Originally posted by Blackgums100
for the 35 grand this car is going to cost it should have the same output as the Z. Oh well I was interested until this info and the lack of a manual.
Last I heard, the Z was reported to get 280hp or there abouts. So, does this mean that the 2003 Maxima will have 260hp/260tq or will it move to the Q45 platform which is what my local dealer is saying?
Old 01-03-2002, 08:39 PM
Telus.net

I thought they said this in Freshalloy 5 months ago.....

Old 01-04-2002, 12:08 AM

No, it was more like 6 months ago.
Old 01-04-2002, 03:54 AM

Re: Re: I don't get it

Originally posted by FastCougar

Last I heard, the Z was reported to get 280hp or there abouts. So, does this mean that the 2003 Maxima will have 260hp/260tq or will it move to the Q45 platform which is what my local dealer is saying?
Im not trying to be rude but the 2003 maxima is going to be the basic same as the 2002 as well aas the 2004. Nissan redesigns the Maxima every five years, Not three. Everyone keeps saying the 2003 Maxima is going to be differant.Its Not. It may have little improvements but nothing major like a New car or anything. The only Major improvement that we know so far is that its going to be made in America in 2003.
Back On Subject: I got the 2003 G35 booklet about a week ago and its going to have the same spec. motor as the Maxima: 255HP and 246LB. -FT. torque w/ a 5-Speed Automatic. For some reason Nissan Put 5 extra Horsepower in the reviews. They said the Altima and Sentra (spec-v) were going to have 180 HP. and they have 175HP., Maxima's 2001 reviews were going to have 260Hp., Guess what it has 255Hp. I think they like doing that for some odd reason
Old 01-04-2002, 04:44 AM

I heard that a 6 speed will come later on (like the IS300).
Old 01-04-2002, 05:58 AM

Re: Re: Re: I don't get it

Originally posted by Justin Tulli
I got the 2003 G35 booklet about a week ago and its going to have the same spec. motor as the Maxima: 255HP and 246LB. -FT. torque w/ a 5-Speed Automatic. For some reason Nissan Put 5 extra Horsepower in the reviews. They said the Altima and Sentra (spec-v) were going to have 180 HP. and they have 175HP., Maxima's 2001 reviews were going to have 260Hp., Guess what it has 255Hp. I think they like doing that for some odd reason
That's what I read prior to this email and I also have the booklet from Infiniti. The booklet does indeed say 255 hp. But this email came from Infiniti last night and it is newer than the booklet. And this email says 260 hp and 260 tq with no mention of a manual.
Old 01-04-2002, 06:10 AM

Im not trying to be rude but the 2003 maxima is going to be the basic same as the 2002 as well aas the 2004. Nissan redesigns the Maxima every five years, Not three. Everyone keeps saying the 2003 Maxima is going to be differant.Its Not. It may have little improvements but nothing major like a New car or anything. The only Major improvement that we know so far is that its going to be made in America in 2003.
Back On Subject: I got the 2003 G35 booklet about a week ago and its going to have the same spec. motor as the Maxima: 255HP and 246LB. -FT. torque w/ a 5-Speed Automatic. For some reason Nissan Put 5 extra Horsepower in the reviews. They said the Altima and Sentra (spec-v) were going to have 180 HP. and they have 175HP., Maxima's 2001 reviews were going to have 260Hp., Guess what it has 255Hp. I think they like doing that for some odd reason
Oh, I see... So you know more than Nissan? Nissan is the one who has said it is being redone for 2003. Nissan has put out official press releases that say this, but you and everyone else keep saying that it's not true. Why you don't believe what Nissan says about their own company is beyond me.

Stereodude
Old 01-04-2002, 06:28 AM

That is what I was asking ... was the Maxima for 03 going to be the same as the 02 Max/03 G35 or was it going to be based off the Q45 Platform that has been rumored. With the Altima eating into it's segment, I wouldn't be surprised if the Maxima gets replaced in September of 2003 as a 2004 model based on the Q45.

As for the HP ratings differences ... this could be from the conversion of ISO vs. ASE hp ratings. I have read somewhere in the conversion that some HP is lost.
Old 01-04-2002, 07:04 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: I don't get it

That is what I was asking ... was the Maxima for 03 going to be the same as the 02 Max/03 G35 or was it going to be based off the Q45 Platform that has been rumored. With the Altima eating into it's segment, I wouldn't be surprised if the Maxima gets replaced in September of 2003 as a 2004 model based on the Q45.

As for the HP ratings differences ... this could be from the conversion of ISO vs. ASE hp ratings. I have read somewhere in the conversion that some HP is lost.
Regardless of when it comes out (believe they will start producing the next max in jan of 03) - the 6th gen will be based of a stretched altima platform. I haven't heard any rumors about it being based of the Q45 platform. Also rumor has it that it may be available with a V8 option and AWD. But i guess we'll just have to see.
Old 01-04-2002, 07:07 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: I don't get it

For the last time the Maxima is being replaced in January of 03. Call it a 03 or an 04. It is still being replaced in Jan 03. It is not going to be based on the Q45 platform. Nissan has said it will be based on the new Altima platform. This is as fact as the January 03 production. What is less certain is the new engine. I have a source who is currently being trained on a new Nissan engine that is highly likely to end up in the new Maxima. He won't go into details, but says it is nice.

Stereodude
Old 01-04-2002, 07:18 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: I don't get it

Originally posted by Stereodude

For the last time the Maxima is being replaced in January of 03. Call it a 03 or an 04. It is still being replaced in Jan 03. It is not going to be based on the Q45 platform. Nissan has said it will be based on the new Altima platform. This is as fact as the January 03 production. What is less certain is the new engine. I have a source who is currently being trained on a new Nissan engine that is highly likely to end up in the new Maxima. He won't go into details, but says it is nice.

Stereodude
For the first time, this is news to me. Why so hostile? I have said this before ... my information comes from a dealership, thus my misinformation. The salesman said the next Maxima would have the same V8 as the Q45, thus my assumption that it would be based on the Q. Forgive my ignorance as I am new to the site and a non Maxima owner. However, I am starting to save for the purchase of one.
Old 01-04-2002, 07:36 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: I don't get it

For the first time, this is news to me. Why so hostile? I have said this before ... my information comes from a dealership, thus my misinformation. The salesman said the next Maxima would have the same V8 as the Q45, thus my assumption that it would be based on the Q. Forgive my ignorance as I am new to the site and a non Maxima owner. However, I am starting to save for the purchase of one.
Well... I did say some of the same stuff above your post, but maybe you missed it. It seems like we get about 5 of these type of threads per day. Each one contains some variation of the same ol' incorrect story. I figured that at some point people would start reading each other's threads and find this stuff out.

Stereodude
Old 01-04-2002, 07:48 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: I don't get it

Well... I did say some of the same stuff above your post, but maybe you missed it. It seems like we get about 5 of these type of threads per day. Each one contains some variation of the same ol' incorrect story. I figured that at some point people would start reading each other's threads and find this stuff out.

Stereodude
I read this board about twice a day and haven't seen anything in the last week about the next Maxima. The only main problem with this board is it's "chatting", which is rather annoying. It sucks to enter a thread about x and read about y & z between two people who. But I digress ... as we are "chatting" off topic.

Also, what is up with everyone's signatures? The board I own/admin is just the opposite ... we don't allow images in the signatures, limit them to 500 characters (never saw the need for a novel), but instead allow multiple attachments to posts (256KB limit per attachment). Trust me, I know all about board ethics and how the community treats newbies and such ... I have run a message board with over 2500 members for the last 2 years.

Sorry for any misunderstanding
Old 01-04-2002, 08:13 AM

This G35 looks great and it seems Infiniti/Nissan will soon have the sports car market well-blanketed in 3 years.

Sentra SE-R V-spec: high-torque pocket rocket, refreshing in this day of high winders.

Altima/Maxima: Those who want a FWD performance sedan for family duty, basically an Accord or Camry with spice.

G20: Low cost RWD performance sedan will no doubt be reworked and may share the SE-R engine.

G35: The IS300 almost got the 3-series, this one will be a direct hit. RWD and 5-speed auto will make this 260hp model do solid low-14 second quarter-mile e.t.s and a bit faster than 4-speed automatic 255hp Maximas. 6-speed models may dip into high-13s.

Q45: Decent alternative to new 7-series. Would be better if they could allow better utilization of its output curve with much higher rpm shiftpoints and/or lower eak power rpm relative to rev cut rpm.

Z: Low cost sports coupe excellence.

Skyline: Same story for this respected sports car.
Old 01-04-2002, 10:41 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: I don't get it

Stereodude
why dont you do all of us a favor and show us where it says that......
By the way I WORK AT NISSAN! it will be redisigned in august 2004 as a 2005 model. its been this way since 1981 when the Datson 810/Maxima came to this country. So, If i didnt hear about this "Major Change" its not going to come. By the way, Nissan is stupid sometimes but they wouldnt do a "minor facelift" on a car that they would be redesigning the next year. It would coast to much money. So you should check your sources and stop
Old 01-04-2002, 10:43 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: I don't get it

Thanks for clearing that up Justin ... BTW, will the car get the Q's V8 or something similar? Will it be FWD or RWD?
Old 01-04-2002, 10:57 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

By the way I WORK AT NISSAN! it will be redisigned in august 2004 as a 2005 model. its been this way since 1981 when the Datson 810/Maxima came to this country. So, If i didnt hear about this "Major Change" its not going to come. By the way, Nissan is stupid sometimes but they wouldnt do a "minor facelift" on a car that they would be redesigning the next year. It would coast to much money. So you should check your sources and stop
So you work for Nissan North America or you work for a dealer which sells Nissans?
Old 01-04-2002, 11:08 AM
I'm needing a caw

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: I don't get it

If the maxima gets the Q's V8, what will happen to the 100% redesigned new Q45 that just came out this year?

Thanks for clearing that up Justin ... BTW, will the car get the Q's V8 or something similar? Will it be FWD or RWD?
Old 01-04-2002, 11:41 AM

"NASHVILLE, Tenn. (Sept. 27, 2001) - Nissan today announced that production of a new Nissan Maxima performance sedan will begin at the Nissan North America assembly plant in Smyrna, Tenn., in January 2003. This decision will bring the manufacture of its benchmark-setting sedan to its largest market."
http://www.nissannews.com/corporate/...927110025.html
Old 01-04-2002, 11:55 AM

Originally posted by MichaelAE
So you work for Nissan North America or you work for a dealer which sells Nissans?
He works at a dealer, which of course is why he doesn't know what he is talking about.

http://www.datadetroit.com/news/Nissan_100101.html
Nissan today announced that production of a new Nissan Maxima performance sedan will begin at the Nissan North America assembly plant in Smyrna, Tenn., in January 2003.
Ok, so we know it's "new" it's built in the US and production starts January 03.
"The Maxima we will build will be an all-new model that will continue the strong legacy of the current model. We are excited to build the Maxima here in this market."
Ok, so it's not only "new", it's "all-new"
The new Maxima will share a vehicle platform with the Nissan Altima.
Ok, so it's a "all-new" model that will share a platform with the Altima.
SOURCE Nissan North America
Now tell me who's wrong?

And if you doubt that URL please read the following ones that say the same thing.
http://www.canadiandriver.com/news/010928-3.htm
http://www.metalforming.com/DAILY/1001/100201.htm
http://www.latimes.com/business/la-0...lines-business
http://www.autonewsmexico.com/anm/no...c=9&id_not=205

Stereodude
Old 01-04-2002, 11:59 AM

Originally posted by Afty
"NASHVILLE, Tenn. (Sept. 27, 2001) - Nissan today announced that production of a new Nissan Maxima performance sedan will begin at the Nissan North America assembly plant in Smyrna, Tenn., in January 2003. This decision will bring the manufacture of its benchmark-setting sedan to its largest market."
http://www.nissannews.com/corporate/...927110025.html
And Afty pulls out the original press release straight from Nissan that all the other articles/pages are referencing. I knew I had read the actual release somewhere, but google didn't find it.

Stereodude
Old 01-04-2002, 01:00 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: I don't get it

Originally posted by Jeff92se
If the maxima gets the Q's V8, what will happen to the 100% redesigned new Q45 that just came out this year?
Which type of thinking, the G35 which is based on the Maxima wouldn't exist either. Seems all the Infinitis are RWD versions of the Nissan models with more luxury, standard options, and higher price tag.
Old 01-04-2002, 01:02 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: I don't get it

And Afty pulls out the original press release straight from Nissan that all the other articles/pages are referencing. I knew I had read the actual release somewhere, but google didn't find it.

Stereodude
Actually, I think that it makes sense for Nissan to bring a brand new model for the Max as soon as 2003. The competition is stiff in this market segment and they know that they have to be on top if they want to sell.

In the last years, it was easy to see that Nissan was going nowhere with the dull Sentra and very good but a little bit blanded Altima.

When Renault got the control of Nissan, they put their men on the administration board (and some $$$...) with clear mandate to revamp the line and bingo, here is the new Altima, Frontier, Sentra with style and power...

I believe Renault/Nissan will apply the same philosophy to the Max, their flagship (I'm not talking about Infinity) and I think we will be favorably surprised (style, power). As somebody mentioned on another thread, we have questions however on new car cost AND handling (bigger car, heavier, not as well manuverable..)

Sorry for this long thread.
Old 01-04-2002, 01:04 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: I don't get it

Originally posted by 2MAX
I believe Renault/Nissan will apply the same philosophy to the Max, their flagship (I'm not talking about Infinity) and I think we will be favorably surprised (style, power). As somebody mentioned on another thread, we have questions however on new car cost AND handling (bigger car, heavier, not as well manuverable..)

Sorry for this long thread.
If they follow the general norm in the rest of the industry, the Maxima won't be the fastest of the Nissan line...maybe the biggest engine, but not the fastest. Like BMW, Honda, Acura, Infiniti, etc...the flagship might have the big engine, but it is not the speed demon.
Old 01-04-2002, 01:08 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: I don't get it

If they follow the general norm in the rest of the industry, the Maxima won't be the fastest of the Nissan line...maybe the biggest engine, but not the fastest. Like BMW, Honda, Acura, Infiniti, etc...the flagship might have the big engine, but it is not the speed demon.
Oh, I totally agree! The Z will be the proof of that..
Old 01-04-2002, 01:32 PM

I read this board about twice a day and haven't seen anything in the last week about the next Maxima. The only main problem with this board is it's "chatting", which is rather annoying. It sucks to enter a thread about x and read about y & z between two people who. But I digress ... as we are "chatting" off topic.

Also, what is up with everyone's signatures? The board I own/admin is just the opposite ... we don't allow images in the signatures, limit them to 500 characters (never saw the need for a novel), but instead allow multiple attachments to posts (256KB limit per attachment). Trust me, I know all about board ethics and how the community treats newbies and such ... I have run a message board with over 2500 members for the last 2 years.

Sorry for any misunderstanding
Amen!!!!
Old 01-04-2002, 01:51 PM

why would the max get AWD?...

i dont understand why nissan would make the next maxima an AWD, it seems more logical for them to put AWD in their infiniti's, since those are the more expensive models, and AWD would really differentiate the infiniti from nissan vehicles. i do however, believe that the next max will get a V8, the same one from the Q, but detuned, maybe around 300hp or so. i do hope that they put AWD instead of RWD for the next max, RWD is not the best for rainy and snowy weather, AWD would be better. other than changing the design and giving the car more HP through a new engine or whatever, i dont think that nissan has more to put into the max. i mean it got a lot of upscale features for 2k2, the HID's, NAV, memory seats, heated steering wheel to name a few. i bet it gets head curtain air bags, and/or rear head air bags, maybe a newer version of the bose(more speakers), a dual zone climate control, and i hope, a 5-speed auto with sport shift feature. who thinks the next max will be a boat, and will not buy it for that reason?
Old 01-04-2002, 02:42 PM

Re: why would the max get AWD?...

Not being a biased Nissan owner, let me note some observations ... tell me how far off I am:

Nissan's luxury tag, Infinity produces cars based on the Nissan counterpart, only instead of FWD, they use RWD and have a more extensive list of standard features, more luxury and a higher price tag. Some examples of this observation:

G20 = RWD Sentra
I30 = RWD 5th Gen Maxima (1999-2001)
G35 = RWD 5th Gen Maxima (2002+)

This can lead me to only one conclusion. If the Maxima is to be completely redesigned for 2004 or even 2003, why not base it on the Q45 platform since platform sharing saves cost (thus the demise of the J30 - stand alone platform = too expensive to produce and be profitable).

However, since the G35 is soo attractively priced, they can keep the Maxima platform around strickly for G35 pricing and still make a profit. If this is true, then the next Gen Maxima will be FWD V8 (like Cadillac), be much larger, and no longer stradle the gap between family sedan and luxury sedan ... if will be classified as an entry level luxury sedan ... much like the Avalon (unsure of Lexus counterpart) and it's predicesor the Cresida (Lexus ES250? counterpart).

However, only time will tell ... wouldn't be the first time that a car maker set forth a press release only to change their minds ... look a the Ford/Mercury CougarS debacle!
Old 01-04-2002, 03:13 PM

Re: Re: why would the max get AWD?...

G20 = RWD Sentra
The I30, G20, and I35 are all FWD.

Only the Q45 is RWD in the current model year.

The G35 will only be the second RWD car Infinti has produced.
Old 01-04-2002, 03:34 PM

Originally posted by motectransam
G20: Low cost RWD performance sedan will no doubt be reworked and may share the SE-R engine.
I assume either he is as mistaken as I am or the new G20 will be RWD ... which is it?
Old 01-04-2002, 03:38 PM

I assume either he is as mistaken as I am or the new G20 will be RWD ... which is it?
See "Drive Type" under "Performance Data"

2002 G20
http://www.edmunds.com/new/2002/infi...tml?id=lin0018

2001 G20
http://www.edmunds.com/used/2001/inf...tml?id=lin0066

2002 I35
http://www.edmunds.com/new/2002/infi...tml?id=lin0018

2001 I30
http://www.edmunds.com/new/2001/infi...tml?id=lin0018
Old 01-04-2002, 05:43 PM

Re: Re: Re: why would the max get AWD?...

The I30, G20, and I35 are all FWD.

Only the Q45 is RWD in the current model year.

The G35 will only be the second RWD car Infinti has produced.
The J30 and M30 were both rear wheel drive.
Old 01-04-2002, 05:55 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: why would the max get AWD?...

Originally posted by Weasel
The J30 and M30 were both rear wheel drive.
.....Nevermind.
Old 01-05-2002, 06:07 PM

Well I live where there is some snow, so I need a FWD or AWD car, which will keep me away from the G35. I hope Infiniti or Nissan eventually offers an AWD platform, either in the Max or the G35.
Old 01-05-2002, 09:15 PM
EZ

Re: Re: why would the max get AWD?...

Not being a biased Nissan owner, let me note some observations ... tell me how far off I am:

Nissan's luxury tag, Infinity produces cars based on the Nissan counterpart, only instead of FWD, they use RWD and have a more extensive list of standard features, more luxury and a higher price tag. Some examples of this observation:

G20 = RWD Sentra
G35 = RWD 5th Gen Maxima (2002+)

Besides the engine, the G35 is 100% different than the 5th gen 2k2 maxima. There are no comparisons between the two. The G35 is a nissan skyline in Japan. Independent multilink rear and the chassis is much much stiffer. It's a completely new design and only about a year old on the market.
Old 01-05-2002, 10:14 PM

Originally posted by jkratzer
Well I live where there is some snow, so I need a FWD or AWD car, which will keep me away from the G35. I hope Infiniti or Nissan eventually offers an AWD platform, either in the Max or the G35.
Supposedly Infiniti will start selling an AWD version of the G35 next winter.
Old 01-05-2002, 10:16 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Re: Infiniti now says the G35 will have 260 hp

Originally posted by jkratzer
and 260 lb/ft of torque at 4800 rpm. It will have a 5-speed auto transmission with a manual shift mode. No mention of a 6-speed.

I just got an email from Infiniti titled, "Updating. The all-new Infiniti 2003 G35", which allowed access to a slide show on the G35.
oh? good! but the nubers won't be finalized until they roll out the cars.
Old 01-06-2002, 02:42 AM

Stereodude & FastCougar are right about the next gen Max. Justin is wrong on this one.
Redesigned "2003" Max will come out likely next winter. Will be based on the Altima platform although it will be larger thus fall into the "full-sized" category (Slightly larger than an Avalon). Will use a variation of the Altima's suspension, but will gain some Q level components. A variation of the new Max will have a version of the Q45's V8 (ala Altima 2.5-3.5/Max 3.5-4.5). AWD remains a possibility but, if offered, may be 1 of those dreaded "late availability" options (hopefully an SE-R type option). Nissan is going to be more aggressive than they have been in the past. That is part of the Ghosn revival plan.
As for the G35, I got my brouchure, it lists 260 HP, 260 ft/lbs torque. G35 is based on XVL concept car. New Skyline, G35 & New Z all share this new platform. This is supposed to be a 3-series beater. G35 2-door, 6-speed versions come later as does AWD somewhere down the line.
This is what I've been able to squeeze out of my source, and they have not been wrong yet.

Quick Reply: Infiniti now says the G35 will have 260 hp