5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Should I repaint? Opinions please.

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2012, 01:27 PM

Originally Posted by spock
No limited slip on the X? Too bad. Since the wife will also be driving it, a MT is not going to happen.
Well, the intent of limited slip is effectively satisfied by Infiniti's intelligent AWD system, so IDK why you'd think they would co-exist.

On the up-side, it will be stupidly easy to find an AWD Sedan, since they account for the bulk of the G's produced. Your only consideration then is whether or not it has the Premium Package (which most do), color, mileage and condition.

It actually makes your plans much more do-able. You're targeting a readily available used car.
Old 03-29-2012, 01:52 PM

[quote=Rochester;8418111]Well, the intent of limited slip is effectively satisfied by Infiniti's intelligent AWD system, so IDK why you'd think they would co-exist.

So that one could turn off the AWD and go RWD with limited slip. I guess that would be asking too much.
Old 03-29-2012, 07:04 PM

No limited slip on the X? Too bad. Since the wife will also be driving it, a MT is not going to happen.
You may want to check into this further, because most Canadian cars have LSD when their American 'equals' do not. This is also true of heated mirrors in many cases, it's kind of a standard thing on Canadian stuff when in the 'sport' or higher class option range.

I'd be checking the Canadian Versions.

I've been trying to keep on top of it, but as Neil Young said, "Rust Never Sleeps".
Every spring I scour the car for any problem areas and take a wire wheel on a dremel to them. Then prime and use the touch up paint and clear coat.
No doubt, I have a pesky little bugger that keeps bothering me, common, under the door handle trim. But you can't fix it without pulling the door handle.

Same goes for the ones that appear around rubber roof moulding, etc, you must pull the moulding to get at the origin of the rust. Like anything, you need to attack it at the source, not the result, or it'll just come back.

It is nice to hear that we'll have a nice G transition over the next year. You will have to come down for our meet Spock, it'll give a good oppourtunity for you to check out Rochester's G in a more relaxed environment, with truthful reflection from him about the pros and, probably few, cons of the car.
Old 03-29-2012, 07:26 PM

I look forward to it.
The origins of the rust @ the roof/windshield is what bothers me the most. The windshield would have to be pulled to address it 100%. I believe that the paint was scored when the windshield was replaced and that is the cause of this.
Off topic and on a brighter note; my new exhaust should arrive tomorrow!

Last edited by spock; 03-29-2012 at 07:28 PM.
Old 03-30-2012, 01:39 AM
Toolie

I would get a second opinion on the prices. A new painted rear bumper should only be 1k. Body shops are hurting for business this year due to the lack of snow. Shop around a bit. I was quoted 3k to fix my car. and I have a ton of damage to repair on mine. That is to fix both rear wheel wells for rust and damage, repaint front bumper and stillen lip and fix damage to the passenger quarter and the rear bumper.
I'll have to drive to Pickering to get that price, but i know that they will be repairing the rear wells with metal, they will not be slapping a whack of bondo on there.

Last edited by knight_yyz; 03-30-2012 at 01:42 AM.
Old 03-30-2012, 04:42 AM

Originally Posted by TunerMaxima3000
You may want to check into this further, because most Canadian cars have LSD when their American 'equals' do not.
The configuration for LSD on the G37 is pretty straightforward:

• Sport Package
  • RWD-only

Non-sport and/or AWD will negate the LSD feature.
And AWD negates the 6MT, Sport Brakes and Sport Suspension.

Last edited by Rochester; 03-30-2012 at 05:34 AM.
Old 03-30-2012, 05:58 PM

Originally Posted by knight_yyz
I would get a second opinion on the prices. A new painted rear bumper should only be 1k. Body shops are hurting for business this year due to the lack of snow. Shop around a bit. I was quoted 3k to fix my car. and I have a ton of damage to repair on mine. That is to fix both rear wheel wells for rust and damage, repaint front bumper and stillen lip and fix damage to the passenger quarter and the rear bumper.
I'll have to drive to Pickering to get that price, but i know that they will be repairing the rear wells with metal, they will not be slapping a whack of bondo on there.
It does seem a little pricey. He did include fixing the wheel well and blending the paint up the rear quarters. In all fairness, I think I'll get a second quote.
Old 03-31-2012, 02:58 PM
Toolie

If you want to take a ride to pickering i will give you the address of where most of the local toronto club members go to get their rides fixed up. We get a bit of a club discount. Probably 10 or 12 of us have been or will be going there for body and paint. Ive seen the work they have done on a friends Titanium colored max and a pearl white max, and to me these are the hardest paints to match. They did an outstanding job.

Last edited by knight_yyz; 03-31-2012 at 03:01 PM.
Old 03-31-2012, 05:16 PM

It does seem a little pricey. He did include fixing the wheel well and blending the paint up the rear quarters. In all fairness, I think I'll get a second quote.
If the person that hit your car is going to pay to have it repaired, why bother wasting time getting other estimates? It's not like you're paying for it. I'd just go ahead and get it done.
Old 03-31-2012, 05:42 PM

^ I think he is talking about additional work that just happened to pop up in discussion when the incident happened.
Old 03-31-2012, 06:26 PM

Originally Posted by 2damax
^ I think he is talking about additional work that just happened to pop up in discussion when the incident happened.
I see... well, in that case, get estimates.
Old 03-31-2012, 07:33 PM

Originally Posted by T_Behr904
If the person that hit your car is going to pay to have it repaired, why bother wasting time getting other estimates? It's not like you're paying for it. I'd just go ahead and get it done.
Because the person that hit my car is a friend. I would not take advantage of the situation.
Old 03-31-2012, 07:37 PM

Originally Posted by knight_yyz
If you want to take a ride to pickering i will give you the address of where most of the local toronto club members go to get their rides fixed up. We get a bit of a club discount. Probably 10 or 12 of us have been or will be going there for body and paint. Ive seen the work they have done on a friends Titanium colored max and a pearl white max, and to me these are the hardest paints to match. They did an outstanding job.
Much appriciated Knight, but Pickering is farther than I'd like to go.
Old 03-31-2012, 08:36 PM

Because the person that hit my car is a friend. I would not take advantage of the situation.
I'm guessing you wouldn't take advantage of the situation, friend or otherwise. There's a thin difference between profiteering and opportunism.
Old 04-01-2012, 04:37 AM

In that case I would discuss an equitable agreement with your friend. I.E. They pay for the damages they caused, you pay for the extra repairs. A good body shop should be able to give a quote for both.