5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Clicking Noise with Jerky Throttle

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2012, 02:10 PM

Clicking Noise with Jerky Throttle

I've seen several people complain about how sensitive the 6 speed is when you let off the gas while moving and feel a slight jerk, and also feel that jerk upon using the gas again.

Starting yesterday, I noticed that there's a click noise that accompanies this jerking. I can hear it in first gear if I don't pick up very smoothly, and definitely hear it if I'm in 1st 2nd or 3rd gear and just let off the throttle and feel that jerk.

The click noise happens just once when I feel that jerk so it's not continuous like something you'd hear from the wheel rolling. If I get back on the gas again while its still in gear, I feel that jerk accompanied by a click as well. I'm have no idea what is causing this and was wondering if anyone might have any ideas as to what the culprit is.

The noise definitely seems to be coming from the front and doesn't seem to be cause of the engine. Any ideas?
Old 03-20-2012, 02:54 PM
^ Jeff™

I had a click like that but mine was more of a small clunk. Turned out to be a bad ball joint. Jacked car up and wiggled the driver tire left and right, sure enough it had play meaning bad ball joint.
Old 03-20-2012, 07:06 PM

Thanks I'll check it out tomorrow. I had the car up and rotated my tires the day before this happened and didn't notice any play as i was checking the wheels. One of my ball joints have been replaced before as well.

I'll check for play again but I'd be very surprised if it didn't have it a day before and got really bad the next day.
Old 03-21-2012, 02:30 PM

Turns out both ball joints were replaced with moogs. No play so that doesn't seem to be the issue.

I guess it could possibly be the axle... it sounds like it's coming from the driver's side and I did get the advance auto GSP axle, but that isn't known to go bad and I'm at stock height with new suspension. Any body have any ideas?

Edit: Also, I'm not sure how important it is to note this but before this happened, the car was sitting for a week due to a bad alternator. If the car made this noise before hand, I must not have noticed it.

Last edited by OnOiShNo0dl3Z; 03-21-2012 at 02:34 PM.
Old 03-21-2012, 02:45 PM
^ Jeff™

Is it more noticeable doing u-turns?
Old 03-21-2012, 04:26 PM

From what I've seen, U turns or turning it fully locked to one side isn't causing it.

It's also not a continuous click. It's a one time click each time the car starts moving if it's not perfectly smooth, or if I let off the gas in gear and get back on it anything short of smooth.

I realized that when I'm inside the car with windows up it sounds like a clunk but with windows down it sounds more like a click. Almost like something is about to snap.

It drives perfectly fine though.
Old 03-22-2012, 05:56 PM

I just had this same problem, on a side where I had replace the axle. When I checked it, the end of the axle was pullin in and out of the hub about a half inch. The spindle nut was loose, because the codar pin hole on the aftermarket axle is about a half inch off the nut when it is tightened. Have a look at yours and see if the same thing has happened.
Old 03-22-2012, 06:44 PM

Thanks I'll keep an eye out for that. I took a look again today and noticed my passenger side axle's cv boot is ripped =[ (the one I didn't replace).

Which side was it for you? I'll have a look at both again, glad someone has had similar symptoms.

Before I go ahead and replace the axle, which also means I'll need more gear oil , I wanna try and make sure I could pin point the issue.

Also, just to be sure, the axle nut and spindle nut are different right? Edit: nevermind, research shows they are the same.

Last edited by OnOiShNo0dl3Z; 03-22-2012 at 06:48 PM.
Old 03-23-2012, 10:27 AM

Ya sorry man, we call them spindle nuts at work. But the side I replaced was the passenger side, unfortunately I don't remember the brand, but it's a canadian bought axle. I'm just going to add some washers on top of the nut to bring them up to the codar pin.
Old 03-25-2012, 12:50 PM

So I got around to checking it today and the axle nut definitely isn't loose so that doesn't seem to be the issue. Brl24, did you mean that there was a gap between the cotter pin and the nut And the nut was loose?

I jacked up the car again and when spinning the wheel, there's no noise.

It only comes if I have a not perfectly smooth start from first gear or reverse, or when I'm in gear and let off the gas, or when I'm already in gear and get back on the gas.

This has me stumped. The side it's coming from (driver's side) has new ish suspension and axle and after inspecting it, everything looks to be fine.
Old 03-25-2012, 01:20 PM
Banned

Make sure the axle is completly popped in i had a simular issue when i put the coilovers on i didnt pop the axle completly back in mine is a auto so i dont know if it applies to your setup
Old 03-25-2012, 03:26 PM

+1 for the axle. Had to replace mine to get rid of the click.
Old 03-25-2012, 04:00 PM

What about your motor/trans mounts? If the motor/trans mounts are worn it will let the motor rock back and forth causing noises. Let us know what it is when you find out
Old 03-25-2012, 04:39 PM

Originally Posted by OnOiShNo0dl3Z
So I got around to checking it today and the axle nut definitely isn't loose so that doesn't seem to be the issue. Brl24, did you mean that there was a gap between the cotter pin and the nut And the nut was loose?

I jacked up the car again and when spinning the wheel, there's no noise.

It only comes if I have a not perfectly smooth start from first gear or reverse, or when I'm in gear and let off the gas, or when I'm already in gear and get back on the gas.

This has me stumped. The side it's coming from (driver's side) has new ish suspension and axle and after inspecting it, everything looks to be fine.
Ya, when the axle nut is tightened there is enough room for the nut to loosen about a half inch, which it did. You said the axle is new? Maybe you can exchange it for early failure. As said above, I would check your motor mounts as well, I had all the same symtoms last summer and that's what it was.
Old 03-25-2012, 09:21 PM

It shouldn't be the motor mounts since I had one replaced recently and the others seemed to be in good condition. I'll have it checked out though but I feel like it's the axle. I might have to wait till the weekend to get around to it so I'll try and update as soon as I can.
Old 04-03-2012, 07:24 AM

Bit of an update:

Took the car in for inspection and it passed. Couldn't figure out what the noise was but it didn't seem to be any suspension components we could see visually.

Decided to not change the axle just yet since doing so would mean changing the gear oil as well which is amsoil gl4 with only 23k and since it drives fine, I'll just let it be.

At one point, I jacked up the front end of the car and put it in gear and could not replicate the noise I was making so it only happened on the ground if anyone could figure out what that could be.

Just about every suspension component on that side has been changed within the last 20k and after inspection, everything looks like it's working fine.

If anyone still has an educated guess as to what could cause this noise given that once it's jacked up, the noise doesn't happen, I'll try and look into it.