5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Odometer Screen Replacment 2002

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2012, 01:19 PM

Odometer Screen Replacment 2002

As I have posted in another thread, my odometer screen is fading/part disappearing. I either need to get this cluster fixed, replace the odometer screen, or replace the whole cluster. My max only has 75k on it, so I am wanting to get this fixed. If it had 200K I would not be worrying about this.

1. Anyone know of how to fix this type of issue, I read in another post that the screen is just pushed into a connector and I can gently remove it and replace it if I am careful. is this true?

2. If I cant do the above, does anyone recommend a shop to send it off to to get repaired?

3. If I purchase a cluster from eBay (or somewhere) how do i reprogram the mileage to the current mileage? Is this something I can do, or do I have to take it to the dealer.

4. If I purchase a brand new question about, will it come pre-programmed?

Any answer's suggestion are greatly appreciated.
Old 03-17-2012, 01:30 PM

I had to buy brand new one got it from nissanparts.cc have them my vin and miles came preprogrammend and averything got it for 460 i think better thans 800 at the dealer and it was oem came in a nissan box and everything
Old 03-17-2012, 07:18 PM

If your cluster is working fine then you don't need to re-place the cluster simply pickup the the cluster window from your local stealership. You will have to remove the cluster to gently pry off the old window and install the new one and put the cluster back into position.

(The cluster window will probably run close to 20.00 at the dealership)
Old 03-17-2012, 07:19 PM

Mileage is stored in the bcm not the cluster should be plug and play I've had my cluster out like 3 times or someone could just buy a new cluster and Bs ppl about mileage
Old 03-17-2012, 07:23 PM

Originally Posted by michael454rs
I had to buy brand new one got it from nissanparts.cc have them my vin and miles came preprogrammend and averything got it for 460 i think better thans 800 at the dealer and it was oem came in a nissan box and everything
Damn....
Old 03-17-2012, 10:35 PM

Originally Posted by fishtale6spd
Mileage is stored in the bcm not the cluster should be plug and play I've had my cluster out like 3 times or someone could just buy a new cluster and Bs ppl about mileage
No, actually, it's stored in a chip that is on the Gauge cluster circuit board, the BCM is down by the gas pedal, and stores no information at all.

Originally Posted by ONE BAD Maxima
As I have posted in another thread, my odometer screen is fading/part disappearing. I either need to get this cluster fixed, replace the odometer screen, or replace the whole cluster. My max only has 75k on it, so I am wanting to get this fixed. If it had 200K I would not be worrying about this.

1. Anyone know of how to fix this type of issue, I read in another post that the screen is just pushed into a connector and I can gently remove it and replace it if I am careful. is this true?

2. If I cant do the above, does anyone recommend a shop to send it off to to get repaired?

3. If I purchase a cluster from eBay (or somewhere) how do i reprogram the mileage to the current mileage? Is this something I can do, or do I have to take it to the dealer.

4. If I purchase a brand new question about, will it come pre-programmed?

Any answer's suggestion are greatly appreciated.
1. Yes, it can be replaced, there's a few little retaining plastic clips that need to be bent out of the way, and then you can wiggle it out gently. Install new one very slowly and make sure all the pins are lined up with their respective sockets, it's easy to bend them.

2. Dunno

3. If you purchase another compatible cluster, you'll need to remove the mileage chip from the circuit board, this means disassebling hte gauges. You just swap the chips from one to the other, noting the orientation of the chips.

4. No, you have to have it programmed, it's actually illegal to do it yourself, or for another company to do it outside of hte dealership. There's a lot of legal crap behind changing mileage, and the Dealer has to handle it, it usualy involves them having your car while the cluster is being programmed and shipped, it also has to be done by a third party, the dealer can't do it. They have to get Nissan USA to send it to the third party for calibration, then ship it to the Dealership hwere your car is and they ahve to install it and submit the paperwork to the DMV or whomever

It's quite the process, to say the least. BUT guys do it themselves, I've done it, so have a few on here, and there's likely guys out there you can pay to do this for you.
Old 03-17-2012, 10:38 PM

Originally Posted by Rods03Max619
Damn....

lol yeah, couldnt live with a faulty gas gauge, replace the fuel filter and the float assembly to no avail so that narrowed down the gauge itself so i pulled the plug and bough a new one. as for the craked screen that one on a replacement i had purchased, it showed up broken tried to get it fixed and no luck contacted seller and got my money back.
Old 03-18-2012, 03:34 AM

Originally Posted by Ghost_54
If your cluster is working fine then you don't need to re-place the cluster simply pickup the the cluster window from your local stealership. You will have to remove the cluster to gently pry off the old window and install the new one and put the cluster back into position.

(The cluster window will probably run close to 20.00 at the dealership)
Do you happen to have the part number for the window? Also, will this involve removing the needles, and everything else, or can I access it from the back? I do not mind taking everything apart, but want the needles to stay calibrated.

Originally Posted by TunerMaxima3000
It's quite the process, to say the least. BUT guys do it themselves, I've done it, so have a few on here, and there's likely guys out there you can pay to do this for you.
Can you PM me the info on this?
Old 03-18-2012, 05:30 AM

ONE BAD Maxima, What mileage do you have on your car?
Old 03-18-2012, 06:03 AM

I'll just post it all for you, but it'll be later today Ihave to dig upt hte pictures again.
Old 03-18-2012, 06:20 AM

Originally Posted by CustomLowz
ONE BAD Maxima, What mileage do you have on your car?
75k. I rolled 75K on Friday, so it is somewhere close to 75100 I guess..
Old 03-18-2012, 06:58 AM

Ok I stole a minute for you:

You need to pull your gauges out, simple enough to do. Get the cluster in hand, then disassemble the plastic surround.

The back side of hte gauges is basically a big circuit board, there are screws holding your gauges on (should be), they'll be a goldish colour. You'll need to very gently remove the screws for each gauge, store them in a safe spot, such as a ziploc bag.

Now you can gently remove the circuit board from the gauges and gauge face. Set the gauge face back into the cover piece to protect it for storage.

Now flip over the circuit board, it will be one of the two below, I"m prettys ure it's the first one:

Name:  100_2739.jpg
Views: 479
Size:  111.1 KB

Name:  100_2743.jpg
Views: 486
Size:  128.7 KB

Now, zooming in on the mileage chip itself:

Name:  100_2739-1.jpg
Views: 463
Size:  147.7 KB

Name:  100_2749.jpg
Views: 463
Size:  76.0 KB

Now all you have to do is de-solder the chip. LABLE THE CHIP WITH MARKER OR SOMETHING, so you don't get them mixed up. You should also note or take a picture of the orientation, but since I"ve posted it for you you can just reference this if you need to.

It's soldered on the reverse side, use solder wick or a solder sucker and keep going from pin to pin removing hte solder until it all looks prettymuch gone. Then warm the pins as you gently pry on the chip with a precision screwdriver, applying even pressure and only lifting straight out.
The big thing here is to NOT HEAT THE PINS TOO MUCH! If you do, you'll damage the chip. Dont let this scare you away, but just be aware that it's not hard to overheat them, so use FLUX PASTE, it'll make the job so much easier. Doing it without means sitting there for a while warming the crap out of it before the solder flows. So use the paste, or you'll mess something up

When you get the chip out, it's cake, just do the same and swap it over. Be sure to lable the chip you want to use so you don't get them mixed up

Assemble in reverse order.

Last edited by TunerMaxima3000; 03-18-2012 at 07:02 AM.
Old 03-18-2012, 07:06 AM

^ Thanks, I am thinking at this point that I will just try to buy a used cluster, pull the Screen from it, and if I can pull it successfully, I will then install it in my original cluster. I am thinking that this will solve both problems, having a working odometer, and still retain the mileage.

Do you have any pics of the screen coming out?
Old 03-18-2012, 07:11 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by michael454rs
lol yeah, couldnt live with a faulty gas gauge, replace the fuel filter and the float assembly to no avail so that narrowed down the gauge itself so i pulled the plug and bough a new one. as for the craked screen that one on a replacement i had purchased, it showed up broken tried to get it fixed and no luck contacted seller and got my money back.
Well did changing the cluster help? Cuz i suffer from the same problem
Old 03-18-2012, 07:36 AM

Originally Posted by ONE BAD Maxima
^ Thanks, I am thinking at this point that I will just try to buy a used cluster, pull the Screen from it, and if I can pull it successfully, I will then install it in my original cluster. I am thinking that this will solve both problems, having a working odometer, and still retain the mileage.

Do you have any pics of the screen coming out?
No, but you'll figure that out.

I agree, if you can get the screen that's the wya to go, although, I have to worry that it's not the screen itself that's the problem. I'd definately try it first though.

I have one here, just not sure if it's the same, If it is, I can ship it to you but shipping's expensive from Canada. It'll be chaper th=an you buying a new cluster though prolly
Old 03-18-2012, 07:47 AM

Originally Posted by TunerMaxima3000
No, but you'll figure that out.

I agree, if you can get the screen that's the wya to go, although, I have to worry that it's not the screen itself that's the problem. I'd definately try it first though.

I have one here, just not sure if it's the same, If it is, I can ship it to you but shipping's expensive from Canada. It'll be chaper th=an you buying a new cluster though prolly
I am pretty sure it is the screen. It has been slowly losing digits over the past 2 years. Now it is to the point it is only readable sometimes in the right light. My wife was driving the other day, and it all showed up except for the "ones" place, and she took a picture to prove it because the last time I didn't believe her. It only lasted for a couple of minutes. Not to mention it is affecting the trip meter now, when it first started, it was just the OD.