5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

U-turn question for you 5th genners

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2012, 11:35 AM
^ Jeff™

Maybe they have an issue pulling u-turns when it isn't feasible for traffic flow...
Old 02-08-2012, 11:44 AM

Originally Posted by 2damax
It isn't the turning radius that bothers me. It is the fact that everyone else thinks I can't drive.
Old 02-08-2012, 11:55 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

My 5th gen turns pretty damn tight. One word: E-BRAKE!!!

LOL.
Old 02-08-2012, 12:03 PM

Yep I have to U-turn just like I did in my old 1984 Ford Crew Cab Dually.
Old 02-08-2012, 12:15 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by BigLou55
You have to adjust your driving skills to make up for it. I got over the horrible turn radius after about a month...WHY? because I'm a driver haha

SAme here
Old 02-08-2012, 12:32 PM

lmaoo. i remember when my sister had an 02 back in 03/04 how she complained all the time, i figured she was just exaggerating. i bought my 02 6spd this past august and when i went to pull into a mcdonalds i had to back up cause it was too tight and i was used to my 97 avalon that can easily take the loop. my friends thought i was retarded, until we had turning radius wars and i guess i "won" (it was very close to my buddy's pathfinder)

good thing 1st and 2nd are so torquey and as slow as i make the uturn, i quickly get back with speed of traffic

it's more of a fun challenge then a reason to get rid of it lol
Old 02-08-2012, 12:34 PM
Gram Lights addict

turning radius almost calls for a semi truck drivers license
Old 02-08-2012, 12:41 PM

Originally Posted by MrEous
Lol I'm only saying the 4th gen isn't a huge improvement over the 5th gen. Take it how you all want but when I compare it to some of my other past cars, both Maximas were worst.
I hear that. I just never really had a problem with my 4th, though it wasn't great, it was fully acceptable for a sedan, if anything, a little tighter than I would've thought for a car of it's size.

You have to adjust your driving skills to make up for it. I got over the horrible turn radius after about a month...WHY? because I'm a driver haha
I wasn't going to quote this, but I feel compeled because of your blatant arrogance combined with your ignorance. Are you suggesting that somehow, your driving ability will make the car turn more? Perhaps you are able to "think" the car into a tighter turning radius?

SuperDriver over here. Perhaps you were joking. I'd hope that was the case.
Old 02-08-2012, 01:03 PM
My axles cry for mercy...

Turning radius isn't a problem for me. sure its not as good as other vehicles, but the way you guys describe it makes it seem like the car is damn near undrivable. I've never had to do a 3 point turn at an intersection. Just turn the wheel quickly to full lock and/or take the turn just a tad bit wider. After daily driving the same car for a while, one would think this would come natural over a short period of time.

Now parking spaces on the other hand, I understand. I usually reverse in though.
Old 02-08-2012, 01:15 PM

Uturn shorten life of old cv boots. I don't do it in normal driving, except trying to beat someone for a parking spot, then perform a series of RDRDR...
Old 02-08-2012, 01:31 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by saig
Uturn shorten life of old cv boots. I don't do it in normal driving, except trying to beat someone for a parking spot, then perform a series of RDRDR...
I can honestly say that I've never taken the life cycle of my cv boots into consideration when making a uturn. . . . Maybe I'm just a bit weird.
Old 02-08-2012, 02:08 PM

Originally Posted by essential1
Turning radius isn't a problem for me. sure its not as good as other vehicles, but the way you guys describe it makes it seem like the car is damn near undrivable. I've never had to do a 3 point turn at an intersection. Just turn the wheel quickly to full lock and/or take the turn just a tad bit wider. After daily driving the same car for a while, one would think this would come natural over a short period of time.

Now parking spaces on the other hand, I understand. I usually reverse in though.
I can't imagine anyone is actually complaining about anything OTHER than parking lots, turn arounds, and other manouevering outside of regular cruising around.

Hmmm does going in reverse make the Turing radius less too?
But yeah makes it easier, I reverse in whenever I can, but that's more something I was always taught by my Dad, to always plan how you're going to get OUT of somewhere before you get yourself in there. It's easier to back in when you know the environment already, then it is to have to back out blind.

Originally Posted by saig
This thread is REALLY going places.
Old 02-08-2012, 02:25 PM

Originally Posted by TunerMaxima3000
I can't imagine anyone is actually complaining about anything OTHER than parking lots, turn arounds, and other manouevering outside of regular cruising around.

Hmmm does going in reverse make the Turing radius less too?
But yeah makes it easier, I reverse in whenever I can, but that's more something I was always taught by my Dad, to always plan how you're going to get OUT of somewhere before you get yourself in there. It's easier to back in when you know the environment already, then it is to have to back out blind.
this is why. lol

When positioning the car to reverse in, you're usually at an awesome angle so you don't have to correct yourself. And it makes you look cool....
Old 02-08-2012, 02:31 PM

this is why. lol

When positioning the car to reverse in, you're usually at an awesome angle so you don't have to correct yourself. And it makes you look cool....
LOL yeah whenever I can do it, it's the only way of 3 pointing into a parking spot without looking like a tool. You actually look like you CAN drive this way

Nonetheless, this car is a PITA to park because of it, and this is coming from a guy who can back up a 4 way pivoting 136' long, 14' wide trailer while steering the back end of the trailer with a remote in one hand....

That's one thing I'll miss about my old job, man we drove cool stuff.
Old 02-08-2012, 03:07 PM

LOL! I wonder what you would say if the salesman trying to sell you this car told you that?!

(scenario- you and salesman on a test drive together)

Salesman- go up to this light and make a U-turn so we can head back to the dealership....

You- (as your having to make a 3 point turn on an easy U-turn) Whoa, is this car supposed to turn like this? I mean its a pretty wide turn, dont you think....

Salesman-You have to adjust your driving skills to make up for it. you'll get over the horrible turn radius after about a month...

You- SOLD!
Old 02-08-2012, 03:09 PM

BTW- Thanks for the feedback guys, makes things a little clearer now....
Old 02-08-2012, 03:16 PM

Old 02-08-2012, 03:23 PM

Driving around here, the turning radius isn't that big of a deal. When me and the g/f went to NY and I drove around Staten Island, it was a completely different story. Parking spaces there are tighter than they are here, so there were many times I had to reverse and cut it back to squeeze into a space. Then again, everyone has to park like this, so I noticed people having to reverse more than once to park their car.
Old 02-08-2012, 03:26 PM
dot dot dot ...

http://forums.maxima.org/5th-generat...-radius-2.html
Old 02-08-2012, 03:27 PM

Originally Posted by MintVQ35
I am always amazed at how this is seemingly such a huge problem for people.
Werd.

Yeah, u-turns suck in these cars, but I never really think about it. The pros of the car FARRRRRR outweigh the con of radius turning.
Old 02-08-2012, 03:36 PM

I don't understand the reason for this reference Nmex? Nothing conclusive or even useful in that thread IMO.
Old 02-08-2012, 03:37 PM
dot dot dot ...

I don't understand the reason for this reference Nmex? Nothing conclusive or even useful in that thread IMO.
Yeah, remove the stops at your own risk, simple as that.

We've known this fact for over a decade. Nothing new here.
Old 02-08-2012, 03:39 PM

Ok, who's gonna bump that thread? Not me...
Old 02-08-2012, 03:41 PM

Originally Posted by NmexMAX
Yeah, remove the stops at your own risk, simple as that.

We've known this fact for over a decade. Nothing new here.
Yeah no doubt.

And I'm pretty sure the whole 15" vs. 16" difference was simply due to offsets, funny how in-depth everyone got on it though lol. Like a bigger/smaller tire itself somehow applied.
Old 02-08-2012, 04:09 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I removed my bump stops last Summer, drive the car daily, and the car has so far suffered no ill effects as a result. I use common sense and don't go to full turn lock at anything over a crawl, and it's given me a slightly smaller turning radius that makes all the difference when parking. Having gone from a 99 SE to an 02 SE..the 02 is a pig compared to the 99 as far as turning radius is concerned.
Old 02-08-2012, 04:10 PM

I dont see how this u-turn radius is really a problem, or do I even see the need to make a u-turn period. The car turns plenty tight enough to drive almost any destination. Ive never had a problem with it
Old 02-08-2012, 06:01 PM
dot dot dot ...

It adds character.
Old 02-08-2012, 10:14 PM

Originally Posted by chopstic
I dont see how this u-turn radius is really a problem, or do I even see the need to make a u-turn period. The car turns plenty tight enough to drive almost any destination. Ive never had a problem with it
then move somewhere that you would need to do you turns more and youll understand
Old 02-08-2012, 10:30 PM

Originally Posted by Stagnet04
LOL! I wonder what you would say if the salesman trying to sell you this car told you that?!

(scenario- you and salesman on a test drive together)

Salesman- go up to this light and make a U-turn so we can head back to the dealership....

You- (as your having to make a 3 point turn on an easy U-turn) Whoa, is this car supposed to turn like this? I mean its a pretty wide turn, dont you think....

Salesman-You have to adjust your driving skills to make up for it. you'll get over the horrible turn radius after about a month...

You- SOLD!

I literally laughed out loud when I read this.
Old 02-08-2012, 10:34 PM

its crazy how terrible the turning radius is. It was one of the first things I noticed when driving a 5th gen. For those who don't think it matter, come drive around downtown ATL or any other true urban area and you will recant your previous statement
Old 02-09-2012, 01:47 AM

Originally Posted by ShocknAwe
its crazy how terrible the turning radius is. It was one of the first things I noticed when driving a 5th gen. For those who don't think it matter, come drive around downtown ATL or any other true urban area and you will recant your previous statement
I've driven through downtown ATL in my brothers 02. I've driven through downtown miami in my car and I drive through downtown west palm beach all the time. My statement still stands.
Old 02-09-2012, 04:06 AM

Old 02-09-2012, 04:25 AM

I grew up in Philly and now live in NYC and still don't think it's a big deal.
Old 02-09-2012, 05:01 AM

I used to live in NJ close to NYC and you had to parallel park everywhere and I didn't have any problems at all. The turning radius is GARBAGE, but you just have to adjust your driving style and its not really THAT big of a deal. Sounds like that really annoyed you though. The 5.5 Gen (02-03) are the same (just more powerful). If something like turning radius annoys you then I would not even get a 5.5 gen because I can't imagine how the oil consumption would bother you...LOL. No car is perfect. I personally think that the positives about the 5.5 Gen FAR FAR FAR outweigh the little negative things. I can guarantee that with the added power of the 3.5L you will NOT feel like a grandpa driving a caddy!!
Old 02-09-2012, 06:23 AM
dot dot dot ...

Are you trolling the 5th gen area?
Old 02-09-2012, 09:03 AM

LOL "come drive here and you'll see comments", sell the car and get a Mini Cooper then and stop whining about this!
Old 02-09-2012, 09:14 AM

this is why. lol

Yeah, especially if you got the sunroof open and windows down with the music playing (not too loud but just enough) with sunglasses on with the right arm on top of the passenger headrest as you look back with one eyebrow up like the rock. Everyone stops and be like "DAYUM....I wish I was that guy. He got mad skillz!"
Old 02-09-2012, 09:20 AM

Originally Posted by ranmas2004
Yeah, especially if you got the sunroof open and windows down with the music playing (not too loud but just enough) with sunglasses on with the right arm on top of the passenger headrest as you look back with one eyebrow up like the rock. Everyone stops and be like "DAYUM....I wish I was that guy. He got mad skillz!"
Old 02-09-2012, 09:27 AM

Originally Posted by NmexMAX
Are you trolling the 5th gen area?
its a joke from the hellaflush youtube video. watch it. good laugh
Old 02-09-2012, 10:38 AM

I hear that. I just never really had a problem with my 4th, though it wasn't great, it was fully acceptable for a sedan, if anything, a little tighter than I would've thought for a car of it's size.

I wasn't going to quote this, but I feel compeled because of your blatant arrogance combined with your ignorance. Are you suggesting that somehow, your driving ability will make the car turn more? Perhaps you are able to "think" the car into a tighter turning radius?

SuperDriver over here. Perhaps you were joking. I'd hope that was the case.
Anyone with decent driving ability can make up for a cars wide turn radius, I was being funny and serious at the same time...if you can't make up for what the car lacks then a 5th gen isn't for you.

Quick Reply: U-turn question for you 5th genners