5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Starting Issues.. Battery or Short?

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2011, 07:36 AM

Starting Issues.. Battery or Short?

What's up everyone? So this weekend I changed a few bulbs in my 03 to LED and I started having some starting issues with my car. First, I changed my License plate LEDS which were a bit too blue to a whiter LED bulb. Also changed my #74 LEDs in the cluster from cool white to warm white. Then put those cool white LEDs in the light under the HVAC controls and the light inside of the coin holder. Then, I took out my front parking light LEDs because they went out, and I left the bulbs out waiting on a replacement. While doing this work, I drained my battery and needed a jump start, this was Saturday afternoon. Sunday morning, I went to start my car up, and it needed to be jumped again. Drove it around a bit to charge up the battery, and as soon as I tried to start again, boom battery was dead... I decided it was time to take a trip down to Advance Auto Parts to check on the condition of my battery. They tested the battery and the charging system, and said that both are performing better than their ratings (OEM Nissan Battery, no idea how old it is, got it when I bought the car last September.) Anyways, Monday morning, tried to start my car, and this happens...

Anyone have any thought on this? Is Advance's testing equipment just wrong, or did I change anything to short, and slowly drain my battery. BTW, I did replace the Parking Light bulbs, and it continues to drain. And, after starting and running a bit, the car will start up just fine.
Old 12-06-2011, 10:13 AM

I vote battery or parasitic battery drain.

Last edited by luvlexus101; 12-06-2011 at 10:15 AM.
Old 12-06-2011, 10:27 AM

Put the old bulbs back in and wait a day.
Old 12-06-2011, 03:28 PM

Did that. Still no luck
Old 12-06-2011, 04:13 PM

http://forums.maxima.org/5th-generat...ep-inside.html

^There's my thread. Our issues seem almost similar. I probably have the same amount of LEDs as you do (sidemarkers, license plate, gauges, A/C unit, doors, map light, dome light, foot wells, trunk)
Old 12-06-2011, 06:15 PM

^ Good call read that.

OAN parasitic drain possibly too as lexus said. Sounds like you may have an aftermarket stereo? Disconnect it at the battery/power source and try again.

Advance Auto doesn't have a good rep for being mechanically knowledgable. Performing better than normal could mean your overcharging and roasting the battery, which isn't good either. Did you get an Amperage reading or Voltage reading from them?
Old 12-06-2011, 06:28 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

0_o sorry to hear about your problems bro. Wish I had more electrical know-how
Old 12-06-2011, 08:16 PM

Originally Posted by MAXXED_816
http://forums.maxima.org/5th-generat...ep-inside.html

^There's my thread. Our issues seem almost similar. I probably have the same amount of LEDs as you do (sidemarkers, license plate, gauges, A/C unit, doors, map light, dome light, foot wells, trunk)
Will check this out, Thanks man.

Originally Posted by TunerMaxima3000
^ Good call read that.

OAN parasitic drain possibly too as lexus said. Sounds like you may have an aftermarket stereo? Disconnect it at the battery/power source and try again.

Advance Auto doesn't have a good rep for being mechanically knowledgable. Performing better than normal could mean your overcharging and roasting the battery, which isn't good either. Did you get an Amperage reading or Voltage reading from them?
I'll try un-doing the stereo harnesses tomorrow and pulling my fuse. I install the Metra Axxess Steering Wheel controls on Thursday, but everything was running fine on that. It all started when I was swapping the LEDs in the cluster.

Advance used this machine and they said my OEM battery was rated at 450 CA/CCA, don't remember which he said, but it was putting out 474 instead. They didn't give me anything more than that, so that's all I do know. I may try and pull the parking light fuse, see if that does anything for the car since the LEDs are all connected on that.
Old 12-06-2011, 08:28 PM

I vote that your starter is on its way out.
Old 12-06-2011, 08:33 PM

Originally Posted by Tyutyunnik
I vote that your starter is on its way out.
The thing is, whenever I do get it running fine, and the battery charged up, it starts up perfectly normal. Just fine with my Viper Remote Start, and just fine with the key normally
Old 12-06-2011, 08:36 PM

Originally Posted by djkevinnn
The thing is, whenever I do get it running fine, and the battery charged up, it starts up perfectly normal. Just fine with my Viper Remote Start, and just fine with the key normally
Warm engine = easier to start maybe? Just a suggestion.

I've never heard of LEDs affecting anything with the starting system and I've converted probably over a hundred cars with them. Its gotta be something else.
Old 12-06-2011, 08:50 PM

Originally Posted by Tyutyunnik
Warm engine = easier to start maybe? Just a suggestion.

I've never heard of LEDs affecting anything with the starting system and I've converted probably over a hundred cars with them. Its gotta be something else.
True true, I'm just wondering if any of the LEDs were just bad and are still taking power even when they are off... never know, could be something silly/stupid like that
Old 12-07-2011, 09:06 AM

So I pulled the fuse for my parking lights (Tail Lamp Fuse) under the engine bay, and this morning the car started up just fine. So I'll have to look into the various LEDs installed recently. I'll try to confirm it by leaving it in and seeing if the battery drains again.