5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

HELP!!! CAR WONT START

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2011, 05:01 PM

HELP!!! CAR WONT START

As the title says my car will crank all day but will not turn over. I have a 2001 DE-K with about 90k. i do have a CEL but they are all for a/t, and i did a 5spd swap a while back, but the car ran perfectly fine. I went and got a Viper alarm with remote start installed on the car and then noticed thats when i began to have issues. The same day that i got the alarm installed the car wouldnt start and i took it right back and they moved a wire and the car somewhat started ok. But now the car wont turn over at all. My car is running EXTREMELY rich, so everytime i turn the key i smell fuel... I replaced the lower crank position sensor(by oil filter) today and the car still wont crank.
Alarm:.. first they had tapped into the coil packs and thats when i made them move it and told them to put it on the tach wire but then noticed that they put it on my injectors...
The only way the car will start is if you push it and pop the clutch and then its fine.... ANY IDEAS ANYONE????

THANKS IN ADVANCE!

Last edited by BIG C; 12-05-2011 at 05:40 PM.
Old 12-05-2011, 05:31 PM

I would say you still have an issue with the viper remote start by pass module which is to get around the factory installed security system ... getting the car back to the shop that did the install would be my first thing to do ... considering you said you had no issues until the installation.
Old 12-05-2011, 05:41 PM

yea that has been my real thought now that the factory system is shutting my car down
Old 12-05-2011, 05:45 PM
Banned

Try resetting the bypass module.
Attached Thumbnails HELP!!! CAR WONT START-bypass.jpg  

Last edited by cjandura; 12-05-2011 at 05:48 PM.
Old 12-05-2011, 06:12 PM

Did your installer leave the valet mod button where you can easily access it, and your manual perhaps you can dis-in-gauge the viper system to return back to the factory system? I know my installer left mine just tuck up above my fuse panel on the driver side.
Old 12-05-2011, 06:37 PM

well supposedly with my system the valet button is on the transponder i believe but im going to try and go back tomorrow to get this fixed
Old 12-05-2011, 06:52 PM

Originally Posted by BIG C
well supposedly with my system the valet button is on the transponder i believe but im going to try and go back tomorrow to get this fixed
That sounds like the best plan at the moment as it sure sounds like the original factory system is not being by-past by the module and your system has now locked down. However I would have thought that simply turning off the viper alarm system and you putting the key in the ignition would allow the original factory system to reset because you are now using the transponder key that should be recognized by the smart entrance system.

I am surprised that the newer viper system does not have the valet mode switch mounted up under the dash, in the event your hand transponder is lost or fails so you could at least dis-in-gauge the viper system
Old 12-05-2011, 07:23 PM

Another reasonwhyI'llnever install one of these systems
Old 12-05-2011, 08:05 PM
Banned

To disable the remote start, move the shutdown toggle switch to the
OFF position. Check with your installer for the location.

Old 12-05-2011, 08:06 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Ghost_54
That sounds like the best plan at the moment as it sure sounds like the original factory system is not being by-past by the module and your system has now locked down. However I would have thought that simply turning off the viper alarm system and you putting the key in the ignition would allow the original factory system to reset because you are now using the transponder key that should be recognized by the smart entrance system.

I am surprised that the newer viper system does not have the valet mode switch mounted up under the dash, in the event your hand transponder is lost or fails so you could at least dis-in-gauge the viper system
They placed it on the antenna module now plus you have to use the toggle switch to access that function.
Old 12-05-2011, 08:34 PM

^^ that makes sense having it on the antenna which makes it still accessible, I was thinking the OP was describing it was programmed into the key fob ... hopefully its just a wire or two installed incorrectly and the installer can make with a quick fix.
Old 12-07-2011, 03:47 PM

ok.... so now.... i went back and had them remove my remote start and alarm system and the car still wont start.... WHAT NOW???!!!????
Old 12-07-2011, 05:20 PM

I have to ask what is working and what is not, I mean when you put the key in the ignition does the dash light up, radio, head lamps do these all work?
When you turn the key to crank the engine what happens? does it just click or no sound or does it just continue to crank but not fire up? in other words is the car totally dead where it sits or do some functions work? Does your Nissan key fob lock and unlock the doors, does the security system arm itself when you lock the car?

Sorry for the twenty million questions, but if you can be very specific or what it is doing and the obvious not working it may help to track down where the issue is.
Old 12-07-2011, 06:46 PM

Originally Posted by Ghost_54
I have to ask what is working and what is not, I mean when you put the key in the ignition does the dash light up, radio, head lamps do these all work?
When you turn the key to crank the engine what happens? does it just click or no sound or does it just continue to crank but not fire up? in other words is the car totally dead where it sits or do some functions work? Does your Nissan key fob lock and unlock the doors, does the security system arm itself when you lock the car?

Sorry for the twenty million questions, but if you can be very specific or what it is doing and the obvious not working it may help to track down where the issue is.
when i put the key in the ignition everything lights up everythings fine. when i turn the key the car continues to crank but will not fire up. i dont have the key fob for the car so im stuck with putting the key in the door and yes the factory alarm arms itself. the car only starts by push starting it and popping the clutch.
Old 12-07-2011, 07:09 PM

Sounds like the starter is done. Not sure if there is a way to check if the starter is done or not I am sure on of the other guys will chime in.
Old 12-07-2011, 07:12 PM

I didnt read anything you said but these starters are infamous. check that starter.
Old 12-08-2011, 07:19 AM

just put in a brand new starter new MAF new spark plugs new crank position sensor....
Old 12-08-2011, 02:07 PM

Add a starter ground. For testpurposes before youspendmoney, you can just hook a jumper cable from the starter bolt to the negative terminal on the battery. Make sure it's got a good connection and try that. If it fires up you know the ground is poor on the starter.

You also want to monitor voltage drop at the battery while cranking. Use a voltmeter/multimeter, the voltageshould not drop lower than 11.5 Volts (approx) while cranking, if it does, you have excessive load, or a crap battery.

If it doesn't drop at all then the starter is not working, signs of a poor starter ground, poor connection, bad starter, bad ign switch, etc.

Please check the above and post back.
Old 12-24-2011, 05:59 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Key will not turn at all in ignition

Hello all,

I'm new to the Maxima world as I have just acquired a 2000 Max by way of my fiance. Unfortunately, the car was not maintained at all before we got together so I'll be on here quite often looking for assistance. I've ripped apart and analysed my 2000 Mustang and 2006 Avalon, so I know a thing or two about cars in general. I've got a list of issues with the Max, but I'll keep it segmented in each thread.

Yesterday I was checking an ignition coils, (P1320 and P0302 errors). I swapped coils 2 & 4, cranked the car then realized I needed to disconnect the battery to clear the service light. After turning the car off and disconnecting the battery for 2 mins max, I attempted to crank the car again. Now, the key will not turn in the ignition at all. I've read some threads on here where ppl could turn their key in the ignition but it wouldn't crank. My problem is slightly different, since the key will not budge at all in the ignition, no ACC or On.. The steering wheel is not locked and the car is in parked. The battery isn't dead either. I even switched the ignition coils back to their original location.

Any help with this will make our Holidays alot brighter!
Old 12-24-2011, 07:05 AM

Originally Posted by NJ3ndri
I didnt read anything you said but these starters are infamous. check that starter.
I was gonna say the same thing. My car wouldn't start too and the volt light weant on. Turned out i needed a new battery and starter but i had the battery under warranty.
Old 12-27-2011, 01:28 AM

so after being tired of looking into this mess... i took the car to my mechanic, which had my car for 4 days... and couldnt figure out the issue til the 4th day... the company that installed my alarm system used CHEAP wire connectors and one of them may not be connected all the way or not connected at all... he told me that the car begins to loose signal at some points.. so its THE ALARM... sooo he told me to remove ALL of the connectors (about 25 of them) that they put on my BCM and re solder the wires together and start from there...