5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Cheap repair method for P0455 P1448 codes 2002 Maxima

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2011, 11:05 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Cheap repair method for P0455 P1448 codes 2002 Maxima

Hello all

Thought I would summarize my approach to fixing the code P0455 and P1488.
2002 3.5L Maxima.

The root cause (in my case) is a valve that is normally open that needs to close once in a while so the engine computer can pressurize the gas vapor recovery lines to check for leaks.

If the valve is stuck open (rusty) you get these "gross leak" codes, since while open the tubes won't build up any pressure to pass the check.

Of course you get the same code if you forget to install, or don't correctly tighten the gas cap, so clearing the code and checking/replacing gas cap is always first option to explore.

Official Nissan Part numbers are as follows;

EVAP CVCV:
14935-5M00A, $85.76 each at Courtesy

Charcoal canister:
14950-4L60C, $173.34 each at Courtesy

Filler cap:
17251-79961, $13.35 each at Courtesy

I started with replacing the gas cap, and resetting the check engine light (CEL)... and nothing changed.

Since I am cheap, and am selling the car.. I wanted to avoid replacing the $173 charcoal canister.

I searched EBAY for the valve part number.(Note, you got to search for the exact part number including the - in the middle) I Found the part for $50 with free shipping, but the listing did not show the 2002 Maxima as correct for this part.

I did some more research and confirmed the part number was correct, (looked up part number at nissan dealer website) and noticed that the 14935-5M00A was superseeded by a 14935-5M00B version.

I then searched ebay again using the B version, and got more hits, but the same $50 valve listed both part numbers, so.. I decided to take a chance and order the part since the part numbers listed matched exactly, and the picture of the part was also identical. (The part worked fine).

Ebay Link is here:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Nissan-Altim...item1e679c5e29

I read all the posts about how the screws that hold the charcoal canister in place break, and how the screws that hold the valve in place also break so... i sprayed WD40 on everything and waited about 30 minutes.

The three 10mm bolts that hold the charcoal canister in place came out, and I removed all the vacuum hoses and the single electrical connector, and the unit, but once out of the car, it quickly became clear that the two 10mm bolts that hold the valve were not budging and I did not want to just break them off in an uncontrolled manner so......

So... I used my Dremel Moto Tool and the cutting wheel attachment to cut the bolt heads off to leave "studs" in place. Even after I did that I had to pry the valve off, and brass inserts from the valve remained stuck on the remains of the bolts that were now "studs" so.. I used the Moto tool and cutting wheel to carefully remove those as well.

When I finished, I had the valve removed ,and two studs that I used to correctly guide the new normally open valve in place.

This took about 30-40 minutes but end result was I got the old valve off, without breaking or ruining the $175 charcoal canister so... I thought the time invested was well spent.

I installed the E-Bay valve and glued it in place with JB weld as replacement for the impossible to remove bolts.

Of course since I replaced the valve with the cannister out of the car, I put the valve in upside down, with the electrical connector down instead of up.

I was cranky when I noticed this on re-installation, fortunately there was enough extra length in the tubing that connects to the valve , and the connector wire that I did not have to undo my JB weld job and start over.

So... double check the valve orientation before you glue to crap out of it. (Electrical connector goes "up")

Next dumb problem I created was I was in a hurry and did not fully seat the electrical connector (since the wire is now stretched a wee bit)... and I got a different code.

P0447 - EVAP Canister Vent Control Valve Circuit Open

Next AM I crawled back under the car, and the issue was pretty obvious. I reset the connector, it clicked into place, and no more CEL .

Bottom line is if you invest some time and cut the bolt heads off the bolts that hold the valve in place, you can save and re-use the expensive charcoal canister.

Hope this helps someone in the future.. I know I have received lots of good tips on this site over the years.

Too bad I am moving on to Honda and Toyota... LOL.

CPU

Old 12-03-2011, 08:26 PM

I picked up a junkyard canister and related parts for 40-50. Good solution if one doesn't want to lay down cash and has no local junkyards.
Old 12-05-2011, 03:06 AM

Move on fool! You deserve a Honda or Toyota.......You'll be entering timing belt city!
Old 12-05-2011, 07:36 PM

Originally Posted by CMax03
Move on fool! You deserve a Honda or Toyota.......You'll be entering timing belt city!
wrong... I have a 98 corolla with the zz1 engine and it is a timing chain... honestly it did have that same canister problem but it started acting after the 200,000 mile mark which is the "recommended" Toyota service schedule maintenance... I just went to the local "U-pull-it" yard checked all the vin# on all corollas there and actually found one with 67,xxx miles on it... the canister was only $10 plus some change for tax... and I believe I had the same problem with the valve but for $10 might as well replace the entire unit...
Old 12-06-2011, 10:33 AM

Very nice Thread OP. I like the detailed write up. Can you post any pics? ! that would be helpful. And I will restate nice write up with all associated part numbers and links for the ebay valve!.
Thanks for sharing. May try this approach one day.
Old 12-07-2011, 07:32 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

I'm trying to work on a similar solution, I got 1 of the 2 bolts on the valve off, the second one (closer to the wheel well) snapped even after a ton of pb blaster.

I was hoping to use the new valve and old canister since I think its the valve that is faulty.

Instead of gluing the valve to the evap canister, I was going to use some sort of sealant, the one bolt that didnt snap and zip ties around the canister.

I wanted to go with something other than glue in case I do need to replace the canister down the road.

Any suggestions on what would work best for this?
Old 12-07-2011, 07:39 AM

I had the p0455 code and started changing parts but nothing changed. I suggest you guys do a smoke test on the evap system first, it might turn out to be a cracked hose.
Old 12-07-2011, 08:01 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

smoke test will probably be my next move if this dosen't clear it, hopefully though it will clear up with the valve
Old 12-12-2011, 03:17 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

an update for anyone that might have the same problem

used a RTV Clear silicone sealant on the outside of the canister (between the canister and the inside of the valve, not on the tube but the interior of the flange) and then some more on the outside edge of the flange that sits against the canister to provide a good seal.

drove the car for 4 days and the codes took care of themselves, I had 5 from this issue, not sure if the 02 codes were related but they are gone now. (P1448, P1447, P0455, P1167, P0159)

Its not an ideal solution but it did work, I'll update if it does fail me down the road.

Got me my inspection sticker so I'm happy with that result at least.
Old 12-13-2011, 10:25 AM

Originally Posted by Joe081484
an update for anyone that might have the same problem

used a RTV Clear silicone sealant on the outside of the canister (between the canister and the inside of the valve, not on the tube but the interior of the flange) and then some more on the outside edge of the flange that sits against the canister to provide a good seal.

drove the car for 4 days and the codes took care of themselves, I had 5 from this issue, not sure if the 02 codes were related but they are gone now. (P1448, P1447, P0455, P1167, P0159)

Its not an ideal solution but it did work, I'll update if it does fail me down the road.

Got me my inspection sticker so I'm happy with that result at least.
I don't know why anyone hasn't done this, i was thinking of this too. nice work.
Old 06-15-2012, 07:43 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

I did similiar to what prophecy did. The bolts broke off so I used RC tire glue (anderson-rc.com) to reattach the valve. The p0455 and p1448 went away. However, 2 days later I got a p1456 code for a "very small EVAP leak". I had it smoke tested yesterday to find it leaking from the bolt holes in the solenoid valve I replaced.

LESSON LEARNED: Make sure to fill the bolt holes with silicone also. Don't just put the sillicone around the outside seal. I hope this helps someone else. My SES light was driving me CRAZY. All is good now though!
Old 06-18-2012, 07:21 AM

Originally Posted by 02whitemax
I did similiar to what prophecy did. The bolts broke off so I used RC tire glue (anderson-rc.com) to reattach the valve. The p0455 and p1448 went away. However, 2 days later I got a p1456 code for a "very small EVAP leak". I had it smoke tested yesterday to find it leaking from the bolt holes in the solenoid valve I replaced.

LESSON LEARNED: Make sure to fill the bolt holes with silicone also. Don't just put the sillicone around the outside seal. I hope this helps someone else. My SES light was driving me CRAZY. All is good now though!
Nice post thanks for the info, I have yet to get in there and tackle this, but is very motivating to be able to tackle this code with just some silicone vs all new parts.
Old 10-05-2012, 08:45 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

thanks for info. thought that was it nice for 2nd opion
Old 12-04-2012, 02:38 PM

This thread still comes in google search. I now have these two codes for my 03 maxima. I had the same problem 3 times on my 97.

Here is my <$10 fix.

My problem, 3 times over, was the solenoid valve. This time with the '03, I knew what it was. I pulled the canister out after I could not get the valve out. I broke one canister bolt and one solenoid bolt head. After canister was out, I pried out the valve untill it broke too. The mounting tab around the broken bolt cracked off. Oh well, thats what epoxy and RTV is for.

The valve is usually the culprit. Apply 12V to it and it doesn't move. Keep applying (on/off) 12V untill it moves. If not, get in with a small screw driver (through hole that goes in canister) and get above the plastic flat above the o-ring and try to get it to move. Its just plastic so be careful. ALso, since it's jsut plastic, it shouldn't ever rust completely. I suppose some of has to be metal becasue it is a solenoid. But it appears the plunger is plastic.
Once free, hope it works with 12V. Mine freed up at first then kept sticking. Use O-Ring lube (probably get a little single use $1 pack at counter) and lube the plunger and edge of o-ring and flat plastic above o-ring (valve). O-Ring lube is generally safe for plastics. The stuff I used said Great for all polymers and plastics.
THe valve piece and o-ring can be rotated so you can lube all the way around. (360 deg.). Use it sparingly.
After lubing and moving it (12V on/off) a lot of times (50-100 whatever). I'm pretty sure it will stay free.
Now I have to get this back it the canister and RTV the heck out of it. I'll use RTV not Epoxy so that I can remove it in the future when it fails again (if I still have this toublesome 03).
I'll get back to inspection in few days when CE goes off. But I'm 99% sure this will work.

BAck on my 97 that had the same setup, on the third try, I actually cracked the canister. I couldn't get a bolt out that was spinning so I just ripped it out. Well, RTV later it sealed and still work.

Unless a canister is full of water or severely cracked, and unless the soleneoid vavle is dead short, (unlikely) or physically damaged inside (i.e. broken plunger, broken spring and still unlikely), there should be no need to buy a 50-80 solenoid. And even a canister full of water (a seperate major issue) can probably be dried out and still functional.

Cracking a canister or ripping bolts out of it is small peanuts. Just glue it up. This is cake walk but still a major PIA.
Take it from me, I'm an aerospace engineer. Cars are a lot simpler than aircraft equipment and a lot less critical. (And if you knew what some techs do to aircraft equipment to get it to work, flight critical or not, you'd be amazed).

Last edited by gd420mj; 12-04-2012 at 02:40 PM.
Old 09-11-2013, 05:43 PM

I just found this thread via Bing. Where is the canister located?
Old 09-12-2013, 09:27 AM

Originally Posted by AWeb80
I just found this thread via Bing. Where is the canister located?
If it's the same as the 4th gen it's behind the left rear wheel, under the trunk.
Old 04-30-2016, 11:48 AM

2002 Maxima

Had code P1448. Code went away by itself, but the Malfunction Indicator Light (MIL) remained on and could be read as ON on the Code Reader.

I replaced the Vapor Canister Purge Valve using a Dorman 911-502, purchased from Amazon for $45.

To repair/replace - I first backed the maxima rear wheels onto ramps to make access to purge valve/canister easier. Using standard pliers, I removed the moved the clamps, and was able to disconnect the three hoses from the charcoal canister. Disconnected the wiring plug (release clip is on top side of plug). Then attempted to remove the three bolts holding the canister on; they snapped off due to corrosion. Now, with canister off the vehicle, I soaked the two bolts that hold the Purge Valve; aI ttempted removal and the bolts snapped off. I then pried the purge valve off; rusty bolt studs remained; soaked again; and tried to remove but bolts broke off flush with the canister. I then drilled out the bolts, and re-tapped new threads. Using some RTV as a gasket maker for extra insurance, I attached the new valve to the old canister. To reintsall the canister, I drilled out the broken studs on the charcoal canister mounting bracket under car. Then used zip ties to reattach the canister to the bracket. Reinstalled the electrical connection and three hoses. After 5 days of driving, MIL self cleared and car passed inspection. Thanks to all who have posted in the past. Cost me $45 and about and hour of time. HTH Regards.

Last edited by SpottyJ; 05-04-2016 at 02:24 PM.
Old 05-04-2016, 04:09 AM

silicone fixed my evap code , no new parts needed
Old 01-19-2017, 05:02 AM

so when ever i did this between 2012 and 2013 i had caulked the crap out of that area and the code went away for years 5-4 to be exact..

last week it came back, when the two codes P0455 & P1448 appeared randomly one morning about 5 mins into morning commute... also the standard P0328 came along with those two but according to common rule of thumb that third code literally comes up all the time piggy backing on other codes and usually isnt anything.

I was really low on oil coincidentally... but.... after finding this thread and remembering having these codes in the past...has brought me back to the evap canister...i am thinking clean up the now old dried up caulk and recaulk all the areas i did before sucessfully eliminating the codes. Fingers crossed will post results possibly pics when I get to it.

Thanks ORG one love
Old 01-20-2017, 09:34 AM

may have been loose gas cap, yesterday when i got gas the cap didn't click un screwing it so i think it was never seated w "3 clicks", we will see. hopefully it was that simple.
Old 01-23-2017, 05:51 AM

got an oil change, got the code reset, and less than 12 hours later it came back on, will post results once next steps r made
Old 02-02-2017, 05:07 PM

Originally Posted by Prophecy99
got an oil change, got the code reset, and less than 12 hours later it came back on, will post results once next steps r made
can you post pics of where you applied the silicone?
Old 02-03-2017, 08:56 AM

yea when i get into it in the spring, its not too hard to imagine though

literally covered every area you would think of a possible leak happening....
Old 03-08-2017, 10:54 AM

the light went off for about 24 hrs yesterday,

then it came back on the same freakin spot in my morning commute, roughly same time of day it first came on . really weird....

i hope i can just caulk the ish more
Old 07-05-2017, 08:46 AM

i will post my findings on the next step, caulked 5 years ago around valve and was good untill this year, tried caulking again by caulking on top of original, but no luck having a shop smoke test, if its still around valve, may...open the can of worms and try to replace valve w careful bolt preserving.
Old 07-06-2017, 10:59 AM

evap purge valve at engine no good,
evap valve at canister no good,

any recommendations guys? i was hoping aftermarket all the way on these valves
Old 07-06-2017, 11:07 AM

i am wondering if I just buy a new evap canister looks like ebay has $138 new OEM, and valve at cansiter $38 , and then keep the old one and fix it up and sell it... its just no way knowing when I sell it if it will pass....and dont wanna burn anyone....

and then the other thought is, i guess the car dosent like running w out this crap? like if i get this canister off to rehab the bolts and studs and get the new vavle on the old canister...i have to do that all in one day....to be able to daily drive....

ugh... to me... for $176 in parts.... just have a shop do it... be done.... and lose the $138 for a piece of mind w a new one...

not sure here, prolly thinking hands off approach minus part sourcing which mechanic was kool with even though they usually dont like doing customer parts.
Old 07-06-2017, 11:12 AM

any one have info on the engine valve of the evap? connector and a bolt?
Old 07-06-2017, 11:29 AM

to add to this, there are no leaks with the smoke test just malfunctioning valves on either end......

is it a fluke having the engine side of systems valve not work? no body on the forums have talked about the engine side evap valve
Old 07-11-2017, 10:50 AM

so this weekend i am replacing both EVAP PVCV (engine side) and EVAP PURGE VALVE (canister side) and EVAP CANISTER..

fingeres crossed.

i found bad ace prices if anyone needs these things, found OEM canister for $135
Old 07-11-2017, 07:06 PM

so this weekend i am replacing both EVAP PVCV (engine side) and EVAP PURGE VALVE (canister side) and EVAP CANISTER..

fingeres crossed.

i found bad ace prices if anyone needs these things, found OEM canister for $135
Good luck, hopefully it's not too rusty down there. I need to replace my EVAP Vent Valve and it's pretty crusty down there. I have been spraying the bolts with PB Blaster in advance
Old 07-14-2017, 09:37 AM

Originally Posted by SubwayVQ
Good luck, hopefully it's not too rusty down there. I need to replace my EVAP Vent Valve and it's pretty crusty down there. I have been spraying the bolts with PB Blaster in advance
I hope you know its nearly impossible to remove that valve w out damaging the EVAP canister in some way or another... its been done but w great care which i think you are taking. but just making sure.
Old 07-14-2017, 07:54 PM

I hope you know its nearly impossible to remove that valve w out damaging the EVAP canister in some way or another... its been done but w great care which i think you are taking. but just making sure.
Worst case scenario is the bolts snap. Then I just JB Weld in the new valve. But I'd like for the bolts not to snap, so I feel spray PB Blaster on them weeks or even months in advance can only do good.
Old 07-17-2017, 07:38 AM

2 of 3 canister mounting bolts snapped as well, i just did all this, it wasnt too bad at all under 2 hours counting walking to garage jacking car and cleaning up. going to shop today , we will see. (light hasnt gone off in 45 miles and 2 days later)
Old 07-18-2017, 05:20 AM

well the light never went away, had the shop that told me to replace the EVAP PVCV , EVAP CANISTER , EVAP PURGE VALVE, and they reset light, came back on highway 30 miles later at 55 mph...

checkin codes at lunch....im kinda dissapointed they made me throw parts at this...
Old 07-18-2017, 05:20 AM

any thoughts guys!? aftermarket Dorman valves were used and OEM canister.
Old 07-18-2017, 10:10 AM

any thoughts guys!? aftermarket Dorman valves were used and OEM canister.
Dorman = trash

I would have went with the $60 one on RockAuto. Replace the gas cap?
Old 07-18-2017, 10:57 AM

code pulled was 1444, gas cap was 5 years ago, beyond the baby steps,

we reconnected the connector on the EVAP PVCV, it seemed just possibly it wasn't seated fully (when i installed it), so we will wait and see, i have 30 mile commute one way so...
Old 07-19-2017, 04:24 AM

Originally Posted by SubwayVQ
Dorman = trash

I would have went with the $60 one on RockAuto. Replace the gas cap?
and please tell me what aftermarket crap at RockAuto is any better than Dorman?
http://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/n...+solenoid,4936
Old 07-19-2017, 04:42 AM

im in the same boat as you prophecy99. I have the vap leak going on as well, did a smoke test and i see where the bolts are in, theres a hairlinecrack right there and is leaking from there. Im thinking of just grabbing a full set from a junkyard for like $100, the purge valve, canister and vent solenoid. I assured with them it works properly or else they said bring it back. Why go with them, well first and foremost its OEM, second, these dont go bad that often. Brand new OEM is insanely expensive here in Canada and then going aftermarket I can run into the issues youre running into now. I didn't know about the silicone trick so thats something I can look into as well.

As for your code coming back, I think give it a few days, maybe the system needs to run through a few cycles? When mine came on almost a year ago, I remember it would go away for a month, then come back then go away and just in the past few months, its stayed on.

Quick Reply: Cheap repair method for P0455 P1448 codes 2002 Maxima