5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Spray Can Paint Job

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2011, 11:23 PM

Damn! That is impressive. Got to admit like some other people here that when i saw the post, i thought, this should be good, i was expecting a total screw up but it looks like a professional job, congrats man! Now have a beer dude!
Update us with pics of it on the car, very curious.
Btw, did you have some decent exerience with painting prior to this job? Something tells me you knew what you were doing much more than most of us...
Old 12-01-2011, 02:38 AM

WOW that is amazing! What did you use for clear coat?
Old 12-01-2011, 04:56 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by bocian
Damn! That is impressive. Got to admit like some other people here that when i saw the post, i thought, this should be good, i was expecting a total screw up but it looks like a professional job, congrats man! Now have a beer dude!
Update us with pics of it on the car, very curious.
Btw, did you have some decent exerience with painting prior to this job? Something tells me you knew what you were doing much more than most of us...
Thanks for the props! As far as experience with paint goes, I did spray a few things over the years, but this is my first attempt with such a big piece and also my first trial in achieving a great finish.

No secret, read the can and execute as written: 8 inch away from part, constant speed, 25% overlapping, thin coats, 5-10 minutes flash time cure between layers.

Ill go and heat the garage this morning to start reassembly. Will keep you posted!
Old 12-01-2011, 05:01 AM

Originally Posted by zzmmrx0xmzz
WOW that is amazing! What did you use for clear coat?
As mentioned earlier, this is the clear i used.

http://www.proformproducts.com/en/pr...=94&category=8
Old 12-01-2011, 05:43 AM

Just when you thought you seen it all. I gotta rate you for doing such a creative thing and getting an amazing outcome. Keep up the good work man.
Old 12-01-2011, 06:56 AM

As mentionned to mrjasonlyrics in privates, The secret is really in the wet sanding of your primer coating. Primer is usually thick and will buld up into imperfections, this characteristic has a tendency of orange peel. so this is why you need to we sand it. Look at videos on youtube.

For the coating, thin layers, and dont worry if it looks dull at first. dont shoot from too far. 8 to 10 inches is ideal. By putting many thin layers you wil ensure an even coating and acrylic clear will melt a bit te previous coat, so it will tend to flatten out any imperfection on its own. In the end, since you have put many even layers wet sanding the clear will not be a problem and you will get a deep and profesionnal finish.
Old 12-01-2011, 07:35 AM

Originally Posted by ColtMax
As mentionned to mrjasonlyrics in privates, The secret is really in the wet sanding of your primer coating. Primer is usually thick and will buld up into imperfections, this characteristic has a tendency of orange peel. so this is why you need to we sand it. Look at videos on youtube.

For the coating, thin layers, and dont worry if it looks dull at first. dont shoot from too far. 8 to 10 inches is ideal. By putting many thin layers you wil ensure an even coating and acrylic clear will melt a bit te previous coat, so it will tend to flatten out any imperfection on its own. In the end, since you have put many even layers wet sanding the clear will not be a problem and you will get a deep and profesionnal finish.
Just make sure to buy sandable primer, fills scratches much better too.

It helps to paint match your primer as much as possible too, that way if you do get a scratch in the main paint, it's not as noticable later. Helps with overall richness of the colour and blending as well.
Old 12-01-2011, 07:30 PM

No progress pic yet, but Santa came by today....

Old 12-01-2011, 10:00 PM

WOW !!! thas damn good
Old 12-02-2011, 03:23 PM

Well the Max had this rust spot on the right fender forever. Because I have not repaired it in time, it got to a point that no repair was possible. I called Napa and a new fender was only 75$.... Since I was going to do a bit of body work, I thought it was a good time fix the broken and scratched bumper as well.

As I cant do nothing half way, I ordered new fender liners, new engine splash guards, (some were missing). All bolts, clips, and brackets to do the job were also ordered from Nissan.

I dont have access to a reliable compressor for shooting paint properly so I decided to follow the advices from the paint rep of the auto parts where I usualluy go to. He suggested to use spray can, Well the result is impressive! The primer coat was wet sanded and 3 coats of clear were applied.

I also built a semi-paint booth with a ventilation panel made of two bathroom fans blowing into 3inches flexible tubes in order to withdraw gases outside of the garage.

Here are some pics:

How good does that heater in your garage work?? Nice work btw
Old 12-02-2011, 04:17 PM

what a great work!!!!!! you need to open a paint shop lol
Old 12-03-2011, 01:23 PM

Can you do mine??
Old 01-22-2012, 04:38 PM

Originally Posted by crazy97
How good does that heater in your garage work?? Nice work btw
That heater works fairly good. In a -10 celcius weather it heats up the garage to about 65 farenheight in 1.5hour. My garage is not so well insulated.

As far as the body work goes, I managed to complete the job! Finally! Looks great! Color matches perfectly and finish is not so bad. after a wet sanding and a compoud it will be very good. I have been riding in cold weather and salt for the past 2 weeks. No sign of crack, dent, chip or peeling.

Old 01-22-2012, 05:48 PM

Very impressive, it actually does match perfectly! I am going to have to try a spray job on my lip soon! How long did this take you with the prep work?
Old 01-22-2012, 05:51 PM

Merlot FTMFW

I tried spray can painting once.. It looked great too, but it didn't last for a year.
Old 01-22-2012, 05:52 PM

Thats really creative lol. Good for you and it turned out relly well.
Old 01-22-2012, 06:27 PM

I'll be a hater for a minute. That looks aweful in that pic. I do hope it's just the glare or a great deal of dirt, but it looks faded, sunbleached and uneven on the bumper.

Originally this looked incredible so I'll assume it's a bad picture, well, hopefully.

oh, and just to put the bug in your brain, if you plan on selling this car anytime (I'd do it regardless), you might want to consider sandblasting and painting the rest of the trim and cowlings. It seriously looks like the front of the car was crunched and someone threw new parts at it. No one would believe you if you said you replaced them cause they were worn looking or something. Sorry if I seem critical it's just the first thing I though when I saw it.

OAN: Have you ever thought about painting your headlight housings Merlot?
Old 01-22-2012, 09:18 PM

Originally Posted by TunerMaxima3000
I'll be a hater for a minute. That looks aweful in that pic. I do hope it's just the glare or a great deal of dirt, but it looks faded, sunbleached and uneven on the bumper.

Originally this looked incredible so I'll assume it's a bad picture, well, hopefully.

oh, and just to put the bug in your brain, if you plan on selling this car anytime (I'd do it regardless), you might want to consider sandblasting and painting the rest of the trim and cowlings. It seriously looks like the front of the car was crunched and someone threw new parts at it. No one would believe you if you said you replaced them cause they were worn looking or something. Sorry if I seem critical it's just the first thing I though when I saw it.

OAN: Have you ever thought about painting your headlight housings Merlot?
I kinda agree not to that full extent though. The sheen/gloss is somewhat off. Looks a little orange peelish or something. Did you try cutting with 2000 grit and polishing OP?