5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

.....TunerMaxima's Sell it or Keep it Thread......

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2012, 05:45 PM

^Yes of course Rochester, the whole gauge cluster will be done, under the needles as well.
Old 01-31-2012, 11:32 AM

updates please
Old 01-31-2012, 04:06 PM

One branch of 4 illuminated:

Tach no needle illumintation yet:

For some reason batteries died in remote already, hope they were just cheap, and this thing isn't constantly transmitting, or I'll have to relay power to the unit which means I cant turn it on with key off. Either way this is the most recent of the cluster that I got a vid/pics of, no needle illumination yet, 1st strip of lights under gauge faces:

Name:  IMG_0668.jpg
Views: 84
Size:  90.2 KB

And I got my RHD JDM battery cover for the Driver side. No pics though as of yet.

I'm going to start looking for either a different cluster, or different gauge faces. The reason is I'm just not very happy with the turnout. I've done a LOT to brighten these up and make them look good, and with the needles done, it looks great, but the gauge face just sucks it's way too plain, especially for a G35. And it's not going to match the rest of my mods in quality.

The maxima is doing great in the winter, though my snow tires' tread is getting a touch low, good thing we haven't had much winter so far!!
Old 01-31-2012, 04:50 PM

I've initiated talks with this company to make custom gauge faces:

http://www.blackcatcustom.com/custom%20design.htm

I know the price is going to be close to $200 landed, but I'm thinking it may just be worth it.....looks like they do good work
Old 01-31-2012, 04:52 PM

Maybe its just me but I feel like the maxima gauges themselves are better looking than the g. Perhaps it could be the kph making it look crowded..

Old 01-31-2012, 05:17 PM

No, you're abosolutely spot on, they're MUCH better looking dude.

My gauges on the max:

Name:  100_2226.jpg
Views: 36
Size:  46.1 KB
Name:  100_4125.jpg
Views: 68
Size:  42.7 KB

Even the bloody '97 maxima had nicer gauges.

I'm going to see if there's any 05/06 gauge clusters in canada for a decent dollar, cause they're not bad:

The custom one would be kind of cool despite the cost though, and if I get another cluster I have to re-do all the LED work I've done so far on this housing. I can get custom pictures or writing on the custom one, "tunermax" or something of the like, dunno of course.
Old 01-31-2012, 05:22 PM

The nismo one isn't bad either, but not great, and for about $500 without any assurance that it'll even work (whole cluster), it's ridiculous.

That's a thought too.... could get jsut NISMO on the gauges

EDIT, whoops forgot the pic:

Last edited by TunerMaxima3000; 01-31-2012 at 06:31 PM.
Old 01-31-2012, 05:27 PM
Banned

http://www.lowmileageparts.com/searc...00&category=19
Old 01-31-2012, 05:29 PM
Banned

i like the work! infact on my nieces car im going to cheat a little bit because im LAZY.in the 97 im going to do the LED swap using the color changing leds from SB and just let them change colors randomly.
Old 01-31-2012, 06:25 PM

Do this to my Maxima cluster. PM me and let me know if you can.
Old 01-31-2012, 06:35 PM

Too bad I cna't find this in KM/H! I've been looking and no luck in Canada. JDM is km/h but no luck finding anything htere either. Can't Read japanese LOL.

Originally Posted by cjandura
i like the work! infact on my nieces car im going to cheat a little bit because im LAZY.in the 97 im going to do the LED swap using the color changing leds from SB and just let them change colors randomly.
Those are alright if you like that sort of thing. The 97 is SO easy to mod too, drop in T10's, as I was showing you in PM. I recall hearing some of the late 97, and some 98/99 had the smaller T5 bulbs. Unsure on this.

Originally Posted by MoncefA33
Do this to my Maxima cluster. PM me and let me know if you can.
Out of the buisiness, but I PM'd you for your production date info, perhaps. You'll be stickershocked though.
Old 01-31-2012, 06:57 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by TunerMaxima3000
Too bad I cna't find this in KM/H! I've been looking and no luck in Canada. JDM is km/h but no luck finding anything htere either. Can't Read japanese LOL.

Those are alright if you like that sort of thing. The 97 is SO easy to mod too, drop in T10's, as I was showing you in PM. I recall hearing some of the late 97, and some 98/99 had the smaller T5 bulbs. Unsure on this.

Out of the buisiness, but I PM'd you for your production date info, perhaps. You'll be stickershocked though.
if you got a site that in japanese i can have my sis translate if you want.
yeah im lazy i figure she might get a kick out of it besides im using the car a a learning tool because right i literly have the whole front end off including the trans which is getting replaced witha i30 trans and the panels are all out because i've been dynomating the inside and hunting down a squeaky panel that drove me insane.im going to try all kinds of combo's on that car i picked up some empty bulb bases from autoillumination in 194,74,24 size and more leds to test with.ill learn this yet unless i burn the house down in the process.
Old 03-17-2012, 06:48 AM

Rims?

Not sure if this is OT or not, but since I plan to keep my Maxima. I figure it'd be OK to ask for more of "Tuner's" expertise here. To not muck up Rochester's thread. After reading "Tuner's" recommendations on new rims for my car, I searched and came up with this rim. <IMO> fits the bill nicely, 18x8, subtle OEM style. Allows P245/40-18" tires on the car. Opinions? (click the 'view on vehicle' icon a Sterling Mist 01 with the rims should come up.)

http://www.tirerack.com/wheels/Wheel...All&sort=Brand

Though it's an off (TireRack) brand rim. I did research & found it's a JDM design, good quality rim. A bit heavy, but on a DD that shouldn't be a problem.
Old 03-17-2012, 07:01 AM

Nope, aweful.
Ask youself what diameter you want, I recommend 18" as most run

Also you need to know the weight, width, and offset.

With the last bit, comes your 'stance'. do you want the rims tucked in, flush, or poked?
Old 03-17-2012, 08:03 AM

Nope, aweful.
Ask youself what diameter you want, I recommend 18" as most run

Also you need to know the weight, width, and offset.

With the last bit, comes your 'stance'. do you want the rims tucked in, flush, or poked?
Awful, explain? You previously said the car won't look good with bold rims. These look simple/subtle as it gets! Cleaner <IMO> than the 17" OEM 6 spokes with big plastic center caps/'fake magnesium insert' thing hiding the lugs. Now I'm more confused than ever???

I want an OEM appearance & 'stance' (sleeper look), with a simple 18" 5 spoke rim & wider tire. The offset etc. info is in the link to the wheel. But here's a copy of the info. Thanx.
Old 03-17-2012, 08:23 AM

Weight obviously isn't a concern for you, that's fine, opens up the options.

The rims you linked just look ugly, and I cannot forsee them suiting the car at all, I don't like a think about them. That's just my personal opinion.
My opinion, get your hands on some 5.5 6 spoke OEMs, even though everyone changes them, they're effing beautiful wheels. If you want 17", that's a very good option.

Another good one, is getting the G35 Sedan Rays, they're almost identical to the 19" Rays but are 18", and much more readily available

There's a lot of replica sites, but I have no experience with them, I'd be looking for an OEM set from someone who changed wheels.
Here's one http://www.oewheelsllc.com/Clearance

6 spoke Maxima:

^^Get this bad boy, and polish it. Or, get the polished version that was available, but it's more rare, and they'll probably be due for a touch up anyways.
Timeless beauty, and polished, they'll take your breath away. All you need to do after that, is grab some spacers to bring them out a lil bit and you're sittin pretty.

The G sedan Rays:

^^Even though they're not the 19" that's so infamous, these wheels will still be a bit hard to find, but suit the maxima well. The 18" is a little different, not as pronounced and the offsets are not as agressive, that's good especially for what you want.
Old 03-17-2012, 08:25 AM

And yes, neither of those are 5 spoke

There's a lot of sweet 5 spokes out there, but the ones I'd go for are 19" minimum requirements IMO, and are expensive, I doubt you wnat to spend over $800 on wheels before you even get tires.
And don't forget, there's always option C, which of course, is disregard my opinon, get the rims that strike you as beautiful, and smile.
Old 03-17-2012, 09:36 AM

^^Get this bad boy, and polish it. Or, get the polished version that was available, but it's more rare
The darker, polished version of these 6-spoke 17" SE rims only came on the 2003 SE Titanium Edition.

The nice thing about these rims is they are easy to clean and wax. I'm hating the nooks and crannies on my 18" duck feet.
Old 03-17-2012, 10:21 AM

And yes, neither of those are 5 spoke

There's a lot of sweet 5 spokes out there, but the ones I'd go for are 19" minimum requirements IMO, and are expensive, I doubt you wnat to spend over $800 on wheels before you even get tires.
And don't forget, there's always option C, which of course, is disregard my opinon, get the rims that strike you as beautiful, and smile.
I should have posted a pic of the 17x7 OEM rim that's on the car to clarify things. <IMO> Not pretty w/225/50x17" tires, so a 17" replacement rim would ONLY be an asthetic improvement. Your suggestion to go 18" made me realize. If I'm replacing rims it should be for performance & looks to justify the cost. After beating my brain around the net a +1 setup that most closely = OEM circumference is P245/40x18" & 18x8" is a wheel that works. I'd be lying if I said cost isn't a consideration either!

I respect your opinion since you've been doing this way longer, are VERY knowledgeable, & your Maxima is a showpiece. That said I'm not fond of 'bling/overstyled' rims, or the 6 spoke/5 lug look. I'm old school 5 lug = 5 spokes WTF. KISS = Keep It Simple Stupid, form follows function, etc...bla, bla.
Old 03-17-2012, 10:53 AM

I agree. My car is very far from a showpiece, though, but thanks all the same dude. IMO, my car isn't that good looking, it's not bad looking, but nothing special. Now the G35, that will be a good looking car when I'm done.

I have always loved, and will always love, 5 spoke rims. It's what I'll likely put on the G when the time comes, too.

That said, the 5th gen maxima's lines are very well suited for a 6 spoke, nissan hit that one correctly.

I'm heading out right now for a bit to meet a couple local car guys, but I'll dig up some pictures of a 5th gen lowered a bit on polished stock 17" 6 spokes, you'll come around. It look sawesome.

If you post your price range, I can dig on the 5 spokes, but expect $1000 minimum for my suggestions, likely.
Old 03-17-2012, 11:49 AM

Originally Posted by Rochester
The darker, polished version of these 6-spoke 17" SE rims only came on the 2003 SE Titanium Edition.

The nice thing about these rims is they are easy to clean and wax. I'm hating the nooks and crannies on my 18" duck feet.
The polished TE rims are gorgeous. But holy cow! They're pricy for basically a different version of what's on the car now! Tough to justify, especially since there's no room for improvement on tire size. 225/50x17 is the biggest that safely fits on a 17x7" rim.
Old 03-17-2012, 12:37 PM

I agree. My car is very far from a showpiece, though, but thanks all the same dude. IMO, my car isn't that good looking, it's not bad looking, but nothing special. Now the G35, that will be a good looking car when I'm done.

I have always loved, and will always love, 5 spoke rims. It's what I'll likely put on the G when the time comes, too.

That said, the 5th gen maxima's lines are very well suited for a 6 spoke, nissan hit that one correctly.

I'm heading out right now for a bit to meet a couple local car guys, but I'll dig up some pictures of a 5th gen lowered a bit on polished stock 17" 6 spokes, you'll come around. It look sawesome.

If you post your price range, I can dig on the 5 spokes, but expect $1000 minimum for my suggestions, likely.
I'll just agree to disagree on opinion of your Maxima. Mine's a turd by comparison, work in progress. We agree on liking 5 spokes. In fact It's me digging your OEM G35 rims that instigated this whole business. As far as a OEM 6 spoke goes this 18x7.5" rim is a consideration, if I could get a used set cheap. The only drawback is 18x8 is the minimum size for a 245/50x18" tire. Hey, I'm open to all other 5 spoke suggestions (no black, chrome or ricer colors please). Pretend I won the lottery, I'll make sure I'm medicated when I look at the price.

And this image keeps catching my attention.

5 spokes compliment the 5th.Gen. Maxima lines too. <IMO> The 18" 'SE-ST3' looks similar to a large OEM 16" 5 spoke. BTW; I did more research, it's an AMG rim copy.

Last edited by BobPezz; 08-30-2014 at 04:58 AM.
Old 03-17-2012, 01:07 PM

I would sell it and get something that manual to get more power.....IMO I just picked up Audi Q5, and must say for a car larger than maxima.....that badboys got more power, better fuel eco and heck or a lot better turning radius.....

i've rented the newer maxima (during business trip) and i like the power on it but 1. no manual anymore...and 2. the turning radius didn't get any better...
Old 03-17-2012, 01:47 PM

Originally Posted by BobPezz
And this image keeps catching my attention.

Do the wheels on an Oldsmobile Alero catch your attention?

Hmm... too harsh?
Old 03-17-2012, 02:10 PM
Da Roller Coaster!

Oh...a thread bump...so did you burn the car yet?
Old 03-17-2012, 02:43 PM

Hmm... too harsh?
No a valid criticism, and it depends on the wheels. I'd have to see them in person. I like simple, others style, & some like bling.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, but when cleaning my rims I'm pained.

Not a fan, the rim on the car looks like something from an Anime cartoon. V

To my eye, this rim beats it via elegant simplicity. V

Somewhat similar to the 5 spoke 16" OEM rim. V

Old 03-17-2012, 03:27 PM

Yes, beauty is in the eye of the beholder, but c'mon Bob... set your sights a little higher. And on that note, why is there a lock-nut on this wheel?
Old 03-17-2012, 03:40 PM

Hmm... too harsh?
^This

Originally Posted by foodmanry
Oh...a thread bump...so did you burn the car yet?
\
Yes

No a valid criticism, and it depends on the wheels. I'd have to see them in person. I like simple, others style, & some like bling.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, but when cleaning my rims I'm pained.

Not a fan, the rim on the car looks like something from an Anime cartoon. V

To my eye, this rim beats it via elegant simplicity. V

All ugly IMO. Especially the 5 spoke oem one you pictured last, that's sooo hideous.

If you like the 6th gen 6 spoke, may I suggest the 350Z version:

I'm confused on what you're saying about tire width, wtf do you want? You say 225 is not wide enough, but 245 is too wide?

Here's a couple I like that you can get from cheaper manufacuters:

And the infamous Mille Miglia EvoR

And something to think about, these wheels would look nice on a Maxima, especially your colour, and are easily had in a set of 4 for under $800

Old 03-17-2012, 03:47 PM

Something to think about... the thinner the spokes, the more obvious the rotors and calipers. If you've got ugly calipers and small, rusty rotors, then pretty wheels are just going to make that contrast all the more obvious.
Old 03-17-2012, 03:48 PM

Yes, beauty is in the eye of the beholder, but c'mon Bob... set your sights a little higher. And on that note, why is there a lock-nut on this wheel?
I need to mull it over more, which I fully intend to do. That's why I'm asking questions/opinions. The locknut, beats me? I just 'googled' a picture of the rim as an example.
Old 03-17-2012, 04:11 PM

Something to think about... the thinner the spokes, the more obvious the rotors and calipers. If you've got ugly calipers and small, rusty rotors, then pretty wheels are just going to make that contrast all the more obvious.
Good point. And part of the reason I was leaning toward a wheel with wider spokes, is to hide the rotors, calipers & hub. My brakes are stock w/all brand new rotors/calipers replaced the 1st. time the car was inspected ~4yrs ago. Before I had a clue into mods so they're nicely rust colored. They still work fine for a DD & if it ain't broke don't fix it. But since I bent a rim in a pothole recently. I've been thinking about new rims vs. replacing a rim I'm not fond of. With ones that look better and will allow bigger tires, for a win-win.
Old 03-17-2012, 05:02 PM

How about a nice set of 370Z rims? No... maybe not.

Name:  DanielG_8-11-4.jpg
Views: 83
Size:  252.6 KB
Old 03-17-2012, 05:30 PM

Good call.
Bob, you can paint your calipers pretty easy without really even removing them, it'll last for a while anyways, just wire brush them really good first.
And paint them black.

How about a nice set of 370Z rims? No... maybe not.
Did you change your mind in this while reading the specs on the wheels? lolz.
Old 03-17-2012, 05:36 PM

All ugly IMO. Especially the 5 spoke oem one you pictured last, that's sooo hideous.

'Tuner' you're a genius, I REALLY REALLY LIKE the 18x8 Z rims!!! The silver 6 spoke rims are perfect. Now for the big question fronts & rears are listed, which fits the Maxima like OEM?

I'm confused on what you're saying about tire width, wtf do you want? You say 225 is not wide enough, but 245 is too wide?
I meant that a 245/40x18" has a recommended rim width of 8"-9.5". So a 7.5" wide rim would not be wide enough for a 245 tire.

Nice!

Unless they're functional, exposed screws don't really work for me. Maybe it has to do with 30yrs as a machinist, fighting with PITA Allen screws. Or the BBS/CenterLine wheel lookalike craze, that had every rim bristling with superfluous screw-heads.

And something to think about, these wheels would look nice on a Maxima, especially your colour, and are easily had in a set of 4 for under $800

Very pretty wheel artistically. Rochester brought up a good point about thin spokes showing the brake hardware and mine look like rusty crap! I'd also worry about breaking this wheel, if a pothole bent a 6 spoke OEM wheel...Imagine!
Old 03-17-2012, 05:45 PM

Good call.
Bob, you can paint your calipers pretty easy without really even removing them, it'll last for a while anyways, just wire brush them really good first.
And paint them black.

Did you change your mind in this while reading the specs on the wheels? lolz.
Funny thing, I have a can of flat Aluminum 2000deg VHT header paint leftover, after coating the Headers/Y-pipe/FastCat. Maybe a quick brush & shpritz is in order.
Old 03-17-2012, 05:53 PM

'Tuner' you're a genius, I REALLY REALLY LIKE the 18x8 Z rims!!! The silver 6 spoke rims are perfect. Now for the big question fronts & rears are listed, which fits the Maxima like OEM?
That's cool man, I had them on my 4th gen they looked sweet but screamed for a drop.
Front and rear just as they are will be good, the fronts will sit flush, and the rear will need 5-10mm of spacer to match up, after that, you'll be sitting pretty much perfectly flush, run the spec'd tire, no bigger, and you shouldn't need to bother rolling fenders or anything.

Unless they're functional, exposed screws don't really work for me. Maybe it has to do with 30yrs as a machinist, fighting with PITA Allen screws. Or the BBS/CenterLine wheel lookalike craze, that had every rim bristling with superfluous screw-heads.
The Finichi's are, the Mille's I dunno, and the Finichi knock offs won't be.
I doesn't matter, if you're sold on the Z rims, I say go for it.
Old 03-17-2012, 06:13 PM

That's cool man, I had them on my 4th gen they looked sweet but screamed for a drop.
Front and rear just as they are will be good, the fronts will sit flush, and the rear will need 5-10mm of spacer to match up, after that, you'll be sitting pretty much perfectly flush, run the spec'd tire, no bigger, and you shouldn't need to bother rolling fenders or anything.

The Finichi's are, the Mille's I dunno, and the Finichi knock offs won't be.
I doesn't matter, if you're sold on the Z rims, I say go for it.
Yeah, the Z rims idea was like an Italian head slap. If I can get some it will beat the ***** off aftermarket rims! Keep the OEM look, 0 fitment issues, & wider rubber to get the most from a mild suspension upgrade.

Thanks for the help!
Old 03-17-2012, 06:26 PM

'Tuner' you're a genius
For pointing out the third most common wheel swap after G-rims and 6th gen Maxima SE wheels, yes, Tuner is a genius.
Old 03-17-2012, 07:35 PM

^This

\
Yes

Millie miglias are absolute simplicity and absolutely gorgeous.
19's on dj kevinnnns car.

Old 03-17-2012, 07:37 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Sweet ride!

Quick Reply: .....TunerMaxima's Sell it or Keep it Thread......