5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Cant pass emissions, help !

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2011, 05:03 AM
The original VQ...

Cant pass emissions, help !

In CT for emissions on a 01 maxima they just plug you car into the odb2 and if you have no cell / codes you pass.

Well I changed my coil packs and got rid of my p1302, So after 100 miles of driving and no cell. I got for my test and they tell me my cars drive cycle is not complete and the monitors are not ready .

So I put on another 150 miles , go back. And still they tell me the monitors are still not ready !

Now the one thing I thing I did do somewhere during the second drive cycle is I did a Idle relearn procedure. Could That have affected it ?

Is it normal for a maxima to take over 250 miles for the obd2 monitors to be ready ?

Or is something else worng like my ECU .
Also could it be something wrong on the emission station end and I should Try another test station?
Old 11-05-2011, 06:51 AM

sometimes it does take a while to "rest" itself....did about 100 on mine and they said it wasnt ready, came back 200 miles later and it was good to go so.....more miles couldnt hurt
Old 11-05-2011, 10:42 AM
Bad *** Newb

D you have a $75 fine if it never passes, then go on your way? They only want your money anyway.

Less than ideal, but emissions is such a joke. The testing places were all shut down here b/c it's such a crock.
Old 11-05-2011, 11:19 AM

Damn thats nice....No CEL...Pass...Here Sniffer and all...
Old 11-05-2011, 11:51 AM
The original VQ...

Originally Posted by Child_uv_KoRn
D you have a $75 fine if it never passes, then go on your way? They only want your money anyway.

Less than ideal, but emissions is such a joke. The testing places were all shut down here b/c it's such a crock.
Ya it just a p.i.t.a$$

I dont think theres a fine, but you have to keep testing it untill you pass . Luckly the guy hooked me up and voided me , so i can retest for free.

id be glad to just pay the 75 and go on with life.
Old 11-06-2011, 06:56 AM

I passed mass inspection a few weeks ago with no horn,reverse lights and three cel codes,My friend at my dealership runs the sticker machine, You need too find yourself one of those too lol, There is always a way around everything man. Mass is strict too
Old 11-06-2011, 07:29 AM

Florida did away with emissions testing back in 2000. It was nothing more than a money making scam anyways. The car I had at the time passed emissions testing 3 times with a punched out cat. When the state was exposed for what they were actually doing, the program was shut down.
Old 11-07-2011, 09:35 AM

Buy a $30 code reader which tells you about I/M Readiness so you will know when to visit the emission place. You also alre allowed one "freebie" not-ready. If your car has a habbit of throwing CEL, you need to time it just to get it inspected.
Old 11-07-2011, 12:58 PM
The original VQ...

Originally Posted by sontakke
Buy a $30 code reader which tells you about I/M Readiness so you will know when to visit the emission place. You also alre allowed one "freebie" not-ready. If your car has a habbit of throwing CEL, you need to time it just to get it inspected.
I have a older cheap autozone odb2 code reader , what area in the reader do I select to view the i/m monitors ?

I haven't seen a cell since way back before I changed my coil packs almost 300 miles ago . One thing I did do was a idle relearn procedure , could that have reset the monitors ?
Old 11-07-2011, 08:12 PM

I have my emissions test coming up before the end of this month. Right now I have a code for an o2 sensor and an evap leak. Does that mean I can just take my car to the auto zone and have them clear the codes then take it to my test and pass? I really don't want to have to get my o2 sensor changed in order to pass these emissisons.
Old 11-07-2011, 09:02 PM

Depends. Sometimes an O2 will only send a bad code every now and then. Thats when it is on its way out. Once it is dead, code is always there. You could try erasing the code and driving 50 miles or more and seeing if it comes back. Eithet way you should replace that O2. The light is on for a reason and the sensor has a purpose.

Cars are just like everything else in life. You can ignore a little problem all you want. But if you don't fix it, it will become a big unavoidable issue.
Old 11-08-2011, 06:32 AM

Originally Posted by maxspeed96CT
I have a older cheap autozone odb2 code reader , what area in the reader do I select to view the i/m monitors ?

I haven't seen a cell since way back before I changed my coil packs almost 300 miles ago . One thing I did do was a idle relearn procedure , could that have reset the monitors ?
I do not know if your older obd2 reader has I/M monitoring support. The one I am talking about is for today at $21.27 & eligible for FREE Super Saver Shipping! You have to be insane if you still do not have a code reader. This one "Reviews the emission readiness status of OBD monitors".

Here is the URL http://www.amazon.com/Autel-MaxiScan...0762615&sr=1-1
Old 11-08-2011, 06:42 AM
The original VQ...

Originally Posted by sontakke
I do not know if your older obd2 reader has I/M monitoring support. The one I am talking about is for today at $21.27 & eligible for FREE Super Saver Shipping! You have to be insane if you still do not have a code reader. This one "Reviews the emission readiness status of OBD monitors".

Here is the URL http://www.amazon.com/Autel-MaxiScan...0762615&sr=1-1
Thanks, I think I'm going to upgrade my reader is old.
And for that price, why not.

One more thing guys, I'm also running 02 sims for the secondary 02s .. But not getting any codes and never have . But could that be cause problems with my monitors ?
Old 11-09-2011, 06:55 AM

I take the recommendation back. I remembered that particular scanner had trouble getting the code from my 2000 Maxima. As a matter of fact, I had put my observation when I rated this on Amazon; as they say, memory is the 2nd thing to go (I forgot what is the first thing :-)

- Vikas
Old 11-09-2011, 08:33 AM

it actually takes a bit of driving to get the I/M monitors to register ready.

I had issues w/ the 00 max I purchased recently (was parked for a long time) rust ate a bit of parts, replaced 2 coils, all plugs, fuel filler neck, gas tank, full brake job.

Ran some injector cleaner as the car was running a bit too lean.

Then I reset the codes off the computer and Its already been driven for 400 miles and all but the CAT show READY status.

I have the Autel Maxiscan from Amazon, its been a great help to use this little guy and for under 30 its a steal of a deal, you can't go wrong. I use it to monitor the I/M readiness of the car and so I keep driving.

I also have a 02 lancer who's cat is actually broken and that took about 500 miles to register before the engine light came on.

So keep on driving and double check w/ the scanner for readiness.

Good luck!
Old 11-09-2011, 08:40 AM
Gram Lights addict

Originally Posted by Rods03Max619
hahah i was thinking the same thing. their emission control is a joke lol. in CA, ebay intake= failed emissions
Old 11-09-2011, 11:57 AM
The original VQ...

Originally Posted by HotRod11686
it actually takes a bit of driving to get the I/M monitors to register ready.

I had issues w/ the 00 max I purchased recently (was parked for a long time) rust ate a bit of parts, replaced 2 coils, all plugs, fuel filler neck, gas tank, full brake job.

Ran some injector cleaner as the car was running a bit too lean.

Then I reset the codes off the computer and Its already been driven for 400 miles and all but the CAT show READY status.

I have the Autel Maxiscan from Amazon, its been a great help to use this little guy and for under 30 its a steal of a deal, you can't go wrong. I use it to monitor the I/M readiness of the car and so I keep driving.

I also have a 02 lancer who's cat is actually broken and that took about 500 miles to register before the engine light came on.

So keep on driving and double check w/ the scanner for readiness.

Good luck!
K thanks, I hope the cell doesn't come back.

I ordered the autel last night, 21 bucks and I had to spend 5 more to get free shipping so I ordered some k-cups.

Ill keep you guys updated on what I find. And as soon as the monitors are ready I'm driving to the emission place asap before another code shows up.. Lol
Old 11-09-2011, 12:16 PM
Da Roller Coaster!

Originally Posted by QT1 5MT AE
hahah i was thinking the same thing. their emission control is a joke lol. in CA, ebay intake= failed emissions

Seriously...someone else in this thread said Mass inspections are tough.
Old 11-09-2011, 01:13 PM

i have emission to do next month and i'm not excited at all my cat smells soooo bad....

where in ct are you going to get your emissions done???
Old 11-09-2011, 01:36 PM
The original VQ...

Google ct emissions and it will give you all the test locations. No one is going to check for odors if your car is odb2 . As long as your monitors are ready and you dnt have a cell you pass. Some place do a visual check for a cat some don't. But if you have one you don't have to worry about that.

I just can't get my monitors to be "ready"
Old 11-10-2011, 07:08 AM

You do know that you are allowed one incomplete; so get it inspected as soon as that criteria is satisfied. Unfortunately, if you have already got the "come back" rejection sticker, now you have to have the CAT monitor completed. CAT and EVAP are the pesky ones to get completed.

That is why you check the readiness *before* going there.

- Vikas
Old 11-10-2011, 07:33 AM
Da Roller Coaster!

Check the FSM because there is a specific section in emissions control which specifies the steps it goes through to complete test mode. There are specific things like drive more than 65MPH for more than 2 minutes and other things. I used this to complete my test mode in less than 10 miles.
Old 11-10-2011, 09:19 AM

how many monitors are not set?

as long as the ones that are set pass, then you can have some monitors not ready and still pass. i believe you can have up to 2 monitors not set and still pass in CT.
Old 11-10-2011, 10:34 AM

Originally Posted by Rods03Max619
yup....frick'n San Diego, ugh! I'm one town away from a non smog legal zone......thinking of grab'n a PO box
Old 11-14-2011, 03:11 PM
The original VQ...

my autel came in today, Just checked my I/M and it says

CAT = not ready
EVAP = not ready

What do I do next ???

Originally Posted by PTNR
how many monitors are not set?

as long as the ones that are set pass, then you can have some monitors not ready and still pass. i believe you can have up to 2 monitors not set and still pass in CT.
I have 2 that are not set, were can I verify this information ? I dont see anything about that on the website.

Originally Posted by foodmanry
Check the FSM because there is a specific section in emissions control which specifies the steps it goes through to complete test mode. There are specific things like drive more than 65MPH for more than 2 minutes and other things. I used this to complete my test mode in less than 10 miles.
I have the FMS, But I dont even know were to begin looking . Can you give me alittle more info please .

Thanks
Old 11-14-2011, 03:25 PM

I would love to see that information on how to pass the test in less than 10 miles as well..

Could someone post that information up.. Please!!!
Old 11-14-2011, 03:37 PM
The original VQ...

Found it in section EC page 76 and 77 of the FSM , ill keep you guys updated going to try it tomoro.

but it seems like its going to be a P.I.T.A
Old 11-14-2011, 03:44 PM

They'll porbably take all your money
Old 11-14-2011, 05:01 PM

Found it in section EC page 76 and 77 of the FSM , ill keep you guys updated going to try it tomoro.

but it seems like its going to be a P.I.T.A
Can you tell me how to do it or email me a copy of the FSM?

HotRod11686@gmail.com

Old 11-14-2011, 05:13 PM
"I'm just sayin'..."

Originally Posted by HotRod11686
Can you tell me how to do it or email me a copy of the FSM?

HotRod11686@gmail.com

2000 FSM
Old 11-14-2011, 05:13 PM

Originally Posted by nelledge
nice now which section am I looking for??

Old 11-15-2011, 06:23 AM

How much gas in the tank? I recall EVAP only runs when the tank is between 1/4 and 3/4 or something like that. If your car has habit of throwing P0420 or P0430, then getting the CAT to pass is going to be dicey.
Old 11-15-2011, 12:00 PM
The original VQ...

So would you recommend a full tank ? My car has never seen a p0420 or p0430 ..
The drive cycle in the fsm is pretty detailed. And I don't drive it much so maybe it will do the trick.
Its about 20 min of driving mix of highway and city..
Old 11-15-2011, 07:01 PM

CT emissions blow my vw would t pass because I was running standalone. Most emissions stations are required to have cameras on the car to verify that the car is there and passes legit. There was a station that was going to pass it but they have closed up and been knocked down

I know with our cars at Benz it also takes a few key cycles to also clear out for the miles and what not. I'm not sure if nissans do that to
Old 11-15-2011, 08:01 PM

Goodluck. Ive been looking for a spot in ct that will pass with a cel but havent had any luck. If I do come across one and see that this thread is still open, Ill send you a pm. Please do the same if you do as Im getting close to the emissions testing deadline haha.
Old 11-16-2011, 04:04 AM
The original VQ...

Originally Posted by nselca2
Goodluck. Ive been looking for a spot in ct that will pass with a cel but havent had any luck. If I do come across one and see that this thread is still open, Ill send you a pm. Please do the same if you do as Im getting close to the emissions testing deadline haha.
Funny thing is I don't even have a cell.. Just I/M monitors for evap and cat aren't ready...

Update: the FSM drive schedule did not work.. I tried to follow it as close as I could but couldn't get it exact dude to traffic laws and etc. But was pretty close , and I made everything a little longer just to be sure . I used the cruise control for the highway portion .

Also I had about 7/8 to 3/4 tank of gas during the drive.

Going to try it again tonight.. But its not looking very promising.

Anyone have any other suggestions ?
Old 11-16-2011, 08:14 AM

my autel came in today, Just checked my I/M and it says

CAT = not ready
EVAP = not ready

What do I do next ???

I have 2 that are not set, were can I verify this information ? I dont see anything about that on the website.

Thanks
well, there isn't anyplace to verify this info that i know of but i can tell you that i passed my 2K with 2 monitors not set.

did they fail you with only 2 monitors not set or at the time of the test you had more that were not set? when i went for the initial test, i had a few monitors not set so they failed me because there were too many. the ones that were set all passed. my mechanic urged me to let the car idle and get hot to set a couple of them (i forget which ones) then, i drove it about a mile back to the testing station and everything passed that was set so i got a passing printout and was on my way. sometime later when the last 2 monitors set, the CEL came back on but at that point i didn't care.

hope this helps.
Old 11-16-2011, 09:24 AM

I think in Cali you are allowed to pass with one or two monitors max that aren't set. It should be the same, or easier in other states(Cali is really strict). My car passed emissions with two that weren't set a year or two ago.
Old 11-16-2011, 11:22 AM
The original VQ...

Is there anyway I could double check the passing with 2 monitors not ready laws in CT.
I don't see anything on the website.
And I failed for just 2 monitors.

Going to check another test facility today and see what they say aswell..
Old 11-16-2011, 06:33 PM
The original VQ...

UPDATE : Did the FSM drive cycle again.

Code p0440 came up

Now where do start , im going to check the tank and lines for obvious leaks.
Any other things I should check that often go bad?
How often does the purge valve go bad or any of the other valves?

Quick Reply: Cant pass emissions, help !