5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

NWP Engineering "Economy" Thermal Intake Spacer Kit - New material! Lower prices!

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2011, 06:06 PM
NWP Engineering.com

NWP Engineering "Economy" Thermal Intake Spacer Kit - New material! Lower prices!

This entire year, I have been trying to find ways that I can reduce the prices on existing NWP products. With the Engine Torque Link Kit, I reduced my costs by drastically increasing the production quantity. I did the same for the Basic VIAS Block Plate Kit and have lowered my prices to an insane degree in order not to be undersold. The Basic VIAS Block Plates are still being sold for $9.97 shipped and are still in stock with more currently being made. And we will still match any competitor's advertised price on the VIAS Block Plate. Just visit my VIAS sales thread in the Sponsor's section for more details.

I have also recently done the same with the NWP Spacers with the release of the 02-08 Maxima 3pc kit. The 3pc kit has been tested and shows roughly a 30 degree temperature reduction in UIM temps. The VQ35 5pc kit shows a 40 degree reduction. So I feel the performance gain of the 3pc NWP kit is still there and will be noticeable, but just as expected, it's not a full 40 degree temperature reduction and will not quite be a full 10hp and 12 ft-lbs of torque gain.

I released the 3pc kit to appeal to those that still want to mod their car, but not break the bank. It is for those that don't mind settling for a few less HP or less reduction in heat soak. The 3pc kit is currently priced at $175 retail and is on sale on the forums for 154.99 shipped if you ask for free shipping according to my vendor threads.

But I didn't stop there! Since the Spring of this year, I have been testing several different other types of insulating materials that may be easier to machine in order to reduce costs to pass onto my customers. The glass based phenolic laminate that the NWP Spacers are currently made of are the toughest insulating Thermal Intake Spacer you'll find for any engine on the market. It will easily outlast the life of your car! And we offer a lifetime warranty on it and guarantee it to be free of defects for life. As long as you don't try to test its flexibility and try to break it, the Spacer will last forever. But since this Spacer material is so durable, it is also very expensive and very tough to machine. A diamond coated CNC end mill does not last very long against this stuff. You can not use an ordinary end mill with our spacer material. And we do not waterjet or laser CNC cut phenolic laminates. The cut quality just isn't good enough for me.

So I looked into other, easier to machine insulating materials in order to possibly design an "Economy" version of our same Spacer Kit at a much lower price. An easier to machine material will also mean that it won't be as durable as our current Spacers. So a lot of testing has been done. I spent the entire Summer and this Fall testing different materials while being compressed while exposed to heat (sandwiched between two brackets torqued to 15 ft-lbs like the stock upper intake manifold is torqued to).

A paper or canvas based phenolic laminate will insulate just as well as the glass based phenolic and it is a lot easier to machine. But I did not like the way it looked, especially once it was machined. Finally, I found a type of insulating material that insulates just as well as phenolic and still stands up to heat and looks every bit as good as our current Spacers. It is softer than the hard glass based phenolic we currently used for our Spacers. So it will not replace the Spacer Kit that we currently sell. It will just be a more inexpensive option to choose from.

Since this Economy Spacer Kit material is softer, it is much easier to machine and the costs have dropped considerably for us. Our current Phenolic Spacers can be uninstalled and reinstalled as many times as you want and they will be guaranteed for life. But this Economy NWP Spacer material can not be reinstalled an infinite amount of times. It will scratch over time. But, it is guarantee to be free of defects and will last for life if you install it and leave it. You can still reinstall it a handful of times and still be just fine. But by uninstalling the kit time and time again, I'm sure it will get banged up and won't look as pretty after the 20th time you've reinstalled them. So if you are the type that removes their intake manifold every other weekend, you will want to prefer the higher quality phenolic NWP Spacers. But if you are the type that only plans to remove their intake manifold the next time you need to replace spark plugs, then the Economy NWP Spacer Kit will be perfect for you.

This new material is black in color and looks every bit as beautiful as the current NWP Spacers we produce. You will probably not be able to tell them apart by looking at a side by side photo.

Pricing has not been determined just yet. But it will be CONSIDERABLY lower in price than our current Spacer Kit that we produce for $225. It will be released in the full 5pc Kit and the 3pc Kit. The 5pc Economy Kit will consist of 3 Spacers made out of the new material, the Throttle Body, Elbow, and the Upper Intake Manifold Spacer. And the 2 Lower Intake Manifold Phenolic Spacers we currently sell will be included to complete the kit.

I was surprised how much easier these new Economy Spacers were to machine. So my costs have dropped quite a bit! On top of that, I have drastically increased my normal production quantities. I feel very confident in investing so much money into this project before the first kit is even sold. The reason being is due to the testing these prototypes have gone through. It takes a lot of testing before I feel comfortable stamping the NWP name on them and releasing them to the public! After these several months of testing, I know this will be a trusted new NWP Engineering product that will last a very very long time.

And best of all, the price will be amazingly low, especially at the introductory price! I hope to fully release the kit for sale with photos of the final product within the next 3 weeks!

Thank you for all your support over the years!

Aaron Kimball
NWP Engineering, Inc
[aaron@nwpengineering.com]
www.NWPEngineering.com
252-747-7672 (Hours: M-F 9-5pm ET)
Old 11-04-2011, 06:22 PM

I love you!..r company

I wasn't even aware there were 3- and 5-piece spacers. Sheesh, it looks like I need to revisit your website. Definitely looking forward to an economy set! It's a really clever idea, Aaron, and proves just how far ahead of the pack you are when it comes to serving your customers.

Edit: What you REALLY need is to find a better way of marketing your products. I've been on here since April of 2010, according to my lil' join date thing, and just figured you were content to make the block plates, torque link, and one spacer kit. Now, suddenly, you've got EGR block plates for 04+ VQ35 swaps and all sorts of crazy awesome stuff about to roll out? Maybe do a thing where... No, ads via email are annoying, especially when they come through a forum. Well, guess I'll be following you on Facebook.

Last edited by Eirik; 11-04-2011 at 06:41 PM.
Old 11-04-2011, 07:00 PM

Anything for the VQ35 for a 2010 Altima, or is my motor designed differently then the Max?
Old 11-05-2011, 11:19 PM
That's Mr. Detail to you

Any chance you will branch out to the Honda J30 motors? Couldn't find another 6MT 5.5 gen and didn't want to go back to a 4AT so now I have an Accord.
Old 11-07-2011, 10:13 AM
NWP Engineering.com

Thank you everyone.

VQPOWER, the 2010 Altima has a different intake manifold than the 02-08 Maxima. So this kit will not fit on your engine. But, we do plan on developing products for your platform in the future.

Scott, I'm sorry. I plan on only specializing in Nissan Performance Parts. I do not have any plans right now to produce any parts for Hondas.
Old 11-07-2011, 10:47 AM

Very nice man, I wish I had a business to run.. definitely admirable what you're doing.
Old 11-07-2011, 11:03 AM
NWP Engineering.com

Here is a sneak peak of the NWP Engineering Economy UIM Spacer prototype that was used for testing. It looks just like our high quality Phenolic Spacer, doesn't it?

But the price will be amazingly low!

Old 11-07-2011, 11:09 AM

Originally Posted by Aaron92SE
It looks just like our high quality Phenolic Spacer, doesn't it?
Yes. It certainly does. Very clean cuts.

But the price will be amazingly low!
Tease.
Old 11-07-2011, 11:10 AM
DO NOT DO BUSINESS WITH THIS MEMBER - OWES PEOPLE MONEY

Yo you should make this spacer 1" thick for mad power gains. Bigger is better and i want it HUGE!
Old 11-07-2011, 11:18 AM
Glory Glory Man United

subscribed for updates! Can't wait.
Old 11-07-2011, 11:23 AM

Yeah I need to order me a set. First, I need to get X-Mas presents taken care of!
Old 11-07-2011, 11:38 AM
NWP Engineering.com

Originally Posted by Rochester
Yes. It certainly does. Very clean cuts.
All our Spacers and Block Plates are cut with a CNC End Mill. We never use a waterjet since the cut will not be nearly as good as with a CNC end mill.

That's why all our products are beautiful!

Originally Posted by sparks03max
Yo you should make this spacer 1" thick for mad power gains. Bigger is better and i want it HUGE!
And I'm sure you know this. But just in case if others reading this do not pick up on your sarcasm, thicker is not always better. A thicker intake manifold spacer will only shift the power band lower and hurt top end performance. You will notice a gain in low end power, but with a Spacer much thicker than a 1/4", your top end power will be decreased. And if you want to actually lower your 1/4 mile ETs and make your car accelerate faster, you do NOT want to do anything that hurts your top end power!

Simply put, if you want a car that accelerates faster, do not do anything that would decrease your midrange and top end power.

If you want to use your Maxima for towing though and not racing, then yes, install a thick spacer and improve your low end power in exchange for top end.
Old 11-07-2011, 11:43 AM

All our Spacers and Block Plates are cut with a CNC End Mill. We never use a waterjet since the cut will not be nearly as good as with a CNC end mill.

That's why all our products are beautiful!

And I'm sure you know this. But just in case if others reading this do not pick up on your sarcasm, thicker is not always better. A thicker intake manifold spacer will only shift the power band lower and hurt top end performance. You will notice a gain in low end power, but with a Spacer much thicker than a 1/4", your top end power will be decreased. And if you want to actually lower your 1/4 mile ETs and make your car accelerate faster, you do NOT want to do anything that hurts your top end power!

Simply put, if you want a car that accelerates faster, do not do anything that would decrease your midrange and top end power.

If you want to use your Maxima for towing though and not racing, then yes, install a thick spacer and improve your low end power in exchange for top end.
Thanks for the detailed explanation... That really clears some things up. Clashez had me thinking that extending the UIM through the firewall via runners spacers would have me running 9s!
Old 11-07-2011, 11:56 AM

Clashez had me thinking

orly?
Old 11-07-2011, 12:00 PM

orly?
it's ok, i caught your ninja-edit. i rotflol'd,
Old 11-07-2011, 12:23 PM

orly?
Just listen to him sometime when he pitches his ideas. You will think.
Old 11-07-2011, 12:40 PM

Ain't this grand!? I will be waiting. I am glad I held up on buying the 3 pc kit. It was cheaper but still a stretch for me this time of year. Maybe I can even snag up a BOP at the same time. Keep us posted and thank you for the continued effort for the VQ crowd.
Sub'ed!
Old 11-07-2011, 02:24 PM

My 03 6MT needs more mid and top the most, that's pretty cool though how the thickness of the spacer pulls your curve low end or high end. There's only an 1/8 mile where I am, so maybe thicker spacer wins at that show but most of my races usually end up starting at a roll, so Im dedicated to being one of the first w the economy set : )

But rolls are
Old 11-07-2011, 02:26 PM

For thanksgiving and fat chicks, right? ; )
Old 11-07-2011, 02:28 PM

Originally Posted by amixamse
My 03 6MT needs more mid and top the most, that's pretty cool though how the thickness of the spacer pulls your curve low end or high end. There's only an 1/8 mile where I am, so maybe thicker spacer wins at that show but most of my races usually end up starting at a roll, so Im dedicated to being one of the first w the economy set : )

But rolls are
Even in the 1/8th mile, you spend the majority of your time going down the track in the mid/topend of the RPM band.

A 6mt will be in 3rd gear at the end of the 1/8th and the majority of that time is spent in 2nd from ~4800-6500.

Only in the first 60 feet does bottom end matter much, and you're likely to be more traction limited than underpowered. If you have sticky tires, you'll be launching from high RPMs anyway.
Old 11-09-2011, 01:58 AM
Banned

Even in the 1/8th mile, you spend the majority of your time going down the track in the mid/topend of the RPM band.

A 6mt will be in 3rd gear at the end of the 1/8th and the majority of that time is spent in 2nd from ~4800-6500.

Only in the first 60 feet does bottom end matter much, and you're likely to be more traction limited than underpowered. If you have sticky tires, you'll be launching from high RPMs anyway.
Yea how about if you auto. You wouldn't be launching at that high rpm. So the thicker spacer would help ?
Old 11-09-2011, 02:02 AM
Banned

Just listen to him sometime when he pitches his ideas. You will think.
Hey the bubble bop/bop spacer is a great idea....
Old 11-09-2011, 05:25 AM
"I'm just sayin'..."

Originally Posted by Clashez
Hey the bubble bop/bop spacer is a great idea....
The former was your idea. The latter was Sparks' comment. The former: cost>reward. The latter has more merit for an actual mod. Sparks was kind enough to give you credit for the basic premise of adding volume at the BOP. He's generous. Some of your ideas would be very good if you had more than a cursory thought before blurting it out. Take a few minutes and think things through. Who knows, maybe you'll be the next Cory?
Old 11-09-2011, 06:08 AM
Banned

I wonder if aron could make me this bop spacer about 1''thick . i''l brake out the ruler maybe i can go bigger. basicly it would be a copy of the gasket but only bigger..

Last edited by Clashez; 11-09-2011 at 06:29 AM.
Old 11-09-2011, 06:33 AM
Chocolate_Boi_1Der

Yea how about if you auto. You wouldn't be launching at that high rpm. So the thicker spacer would help ?
Depends on what your stall is setup at, I launch at 3k and dont come back down

g8 shifting is wonderful

Last edited by Cant_Get_Ryte; 11-09-2011 at 06:35 AM.
Old 11-09-2011, 07:33 AM
^ Jeff™

Lol. The auto would still be shifting into 2nd/3rd and keeping that higher rpm, wouldn't it?
Old 11-09-2011, 08:01 AM

I see what ur saying sparks, it makes sense.

I think I was referring to 1st-2nd gear as "low end" which I now see as Incorrect. Low end is rev or rpms from what 1500-4000k rpms?

If that's the case then I'm still cut down the middle because my 6 speed doesn't even start talkin to me until 4k : /
Old 11-09-2011, 11:39 AM
Banned

you could fit a 2'' BOP spacer in there if you un bolt that bracket and move it a little....
Old 11-09-2011, 12:27 PM

Not to steal clashez thunder or anything, but he got the idea of the "bubble bop" from me. I mentioned it in my original custom manifold thread as an idea to easily increase the volume of the stock plenum. I think relocating the wire harness next to it and using a spacer would be better, though.

This quote is from almost a year ago.

Also going to be considering a block off plate that bulges a little for a free volume increase. This should be VERY easy to test on the dyno vs an original BOP to see if it makes any difference at all.

Last edited by sparks03max; 11-09-2011 at 12:31 PM.
Old 11-09-2011, 12:32 PM

Originally Posted by amixamse
I see what ur saying sparks, it makes sense.

I think I was referring to 1st-2nd gear as "low end" which I now see as Incorrect. Low end is rev or rpms from what 1500-4000k rpms?

If that's the case then I'm still cut down the middle because my 6 speed doesn't even start talkin to me until 4k : /
Low end you're talking idle to 3000 or so. 3000-4500 i believe most would consider midrange.
Old 11-09-2011, 12:35 PM
Banned

Not to steal clashez thunder or anything, but he got the idea of the "bubble bop" from me. I mentioned it in my original custom manifold thread as an idea to easily increase the volume of the stock plenum. I think relocating the wire harness next to it and using a spacer would be better, though.

This quote is from almost a year ago.

Oooh no you are stealing my thunder, i came up with that idea while taking a shower... smh
I also came up with the idea to use a spacer instead of making a bubble type bop.

Last edited by Clashez; 11-09-2011 at 12:37 PM.
Old 11-09-2011, 12:56 PM

Oooh no you are stealing my thunder, i came up with that idea while taking a shower... smh
I also came up with the idea to use a spacer instead of making a bubble type bop.
And you thought that you had discovered something, but your little brain had just retained my post and turned it into "your" innovation.
Old 11-09-2011, 12:58 PM
Banned

And you thought that you had discovered something, but your little brain had just retained my post and turned it into "your" innovation.
Yea right i never even read that thread... I invented the bop spacer
Old 11-09-2011, 01:09 PM

Yea right i never even read that thread... I invented the bop spacer
Can't argue with an idiot, even when you have proof.

I'll let this thread get back on topic now. GL with the new kit Aaron :thumbsups:
Old 11-09-2011, 01:32 PM
Banned

Can't argue with an idiot, even when you have proof.

I'll let this thread get back on topic now. GL with the new kit Aaron :thumbsups:
See the thing is i did come up with the idea of a BOP SPACER NOT YOU i piched it to aaron a while ago in hopes he would make one and he said he will look in to it.. .

Back on topic aaron love the new kit hopefully we can see more new products from u soon

Last edited by Clashez; 11-09-2011 at 01:37 PM.
Old 11-10-2011, 05:41 AM
NWP Engineering.com

So, anyway . . .

NWP Engineering is coming out with an Economy Thermal Intake Spacer Kit.
Old 11-10-2011, 07:06 AM

So, anyway . . .

can't wait! it won't apply to me but still,
Old 11-10-2011, 07:16 AM
"I'm just sayin'..."

So, anyway . . .

Do you plan to make one for the VQ30DE?
Old 11-10-2011, 07:20 AM
^ Jeff™

So, anyway . . .

When will NWP come out with an Economy Torque Link?

Old 11-10-2011, 11:33 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by MrEous
When will NWP come out with an Economy Torque Link?

He's already selling it at a great price

Quick Reply: NWP Engineering "Economy" Thermal Intake Spacer Kit - New material! Lower prices!